• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - E3 Gameplays, Interviews, Articles: Compilation

Keasar

Holy shit that Novigrad gameplay

Unknown.gif

Time is too slow! Need it to be 2015 now!

Does anyone else have problems downloading the 1080p direct feed footage from MEGA? During my first attempt the download was extremely slow and ultimately got stuck at 99%, so i tried it again and now it's stuck at 36%. Is there any other place where i could download the file?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cool interview.

he talks about consequences and some can happen instantly and some later on in the game. is the game going to replay earlier events so you know "oh I did that to cause this to happen"??

The Witcher 1 I think did this. But I dont remember 2 doing it, and that how I like it. In fact, gimme some situations where I'm not sure if I caused it and some where the only way you could tell was looking at the quest code.

agi290

Neo Member
This game really stood out for me during the conference. I haven't played the prequels but i'm interested in this one, is it ok to skip them or is playing them a must?

This game really stood out for me during the conference. I haven't played the prequels but i'm interested in this one, is it ok to skip them or is playing them a must?

It's a must in my opinion. Even the first game is very well worth playing for the story.
A big plus for playing all games is the savegame import. You can import your save file from the first game to the second game to gain some armor, weapons, money, potions, etc. and choices you made in the first game will have an impact in the sequel.
There will be save game import for Wild Hunt too.

Wild Hunt may feature a story recap but the background lore of the games is very complex. Playing the previous games can clear things up a bit.
Reading the books even more so.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I wouldn't say they're a must, but they are great games in their own right and well worth playing.

[Asmodean]

Well, that's probably subjective, but they are a trilogy. Plus I think you would enjoy the 3rd much more having played/experienced the first two. Lots of story build-up & character development etc.

If you don't feel like playing them personally, but would like to experience them. Have you considered a Let's Play? I personally like Chris Odd's LPs. I'd watch an LP of a game I didn't particularly want to play myself (eg: Beyond: Two Souls). Or, watch as a replay, as I find it very hard to complete games more than once, myself personally.

I'd still say buy/play them yourself, if you think you'd like them, but failing that, a good LP is a very good substitute.

---
#Edit: Thanks for the compilation on the OP btw :)

L1NETT

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just play them to see what's up. Are the prequels on the 360?

Only Witcher 2

If you have no access at all to a decent PC, i'd say look up the story of Witcher 1 (recaps are on youtube...and in 2 iirc??) and play W2 on 360

n0tail

Banned
Excellent OP, thanks! Will be going through that list to get my fix. Already got the game pre-ordered! I believe in this one, could be the greatest RPG ever. Let's hope!

-SD-

Banned
The GameSpot Novigrad footage looks fantastic.

Too bad about the absence on V-sync, though. All that tearing...

EDIT: Hmm, John Mamais... definitely looks and sounds like the brother of Jack Mamais who was the producer of the original Far Cry and the lead designer of the original Crysis.

I can't blindly recommend the first since the gameplay might not be your cup of tea and it really shows its age in some things like animation, but you wont play many games with such a rich world and atmosphere in your lifetime.
TW2 is one of the best rpgs ever made (which I think also applies to the first one tbh) and since you liked what you've seen in the trailers I'm sure you will enjoy it, TW3's battle system builds upon TW2's, it's $3 during sales, can't really go wrong with that.
It's still one of the best looking games out there and has a great story and characters. At least play this one before playing TW3, you'll also be able to import your choices this way.

RedSwirl

On the most recent John & Garnet podcast John Davison hinted that TW3 is gonna have some seriously systemic NPC AI, similar to Bethesda games but taken to another level. He said he saw (at what I assume to have been the closed doors demo) things like boats that actually ship things back and forth between towns on schedules, NPCs going into brothels and coming out with hookers, and characters in general going through complex daily routines. I think another writer (from Polygon maybe) said towns and NPC AI was a day-and-night contrast from Dragon Age Inquisition, where NPCs looked static in comparison.

Denton

Don't suppose anyone's found high bitrate footage of the city sections? Surely they've got some B-roll of that around...

Unfortunately not yet.

In other news, there are couple new interviews and impressions.

This one is particularly hilarious, especially when the interviewer speaks about sexual tension between Geralt and Ciri..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzR3wcwgGc

I love her enthusiasm, but damn is she way off the mark here :) Poor Conrad.

Then there is arabic english interview, where Conrad speaks about his love for Gothic series, at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v8o1IpUFFs#t=52

Then one of the few interviews with Jonas Mattson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n-g6ZnrqVg&noredirect=1

And impressions by rev3, Max Scoville and Nick Whatshisname:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nnIE0zYyXM

Unfortunately not yet.

This one is particularly hilarious, especially when the interviewer speaks about sexual tension between Geralt and Ciri..

lmao. Did this happen in the books? From what I know, Geralt was a like a foster father to Ciri.

They removed the backwards combat roll from the game. Now it's just a dodging system and a more advanced parry system. I actually like that. It will look a whole lot less ridiculous while in really tough fights. What time I did spend with the Witcher, I positively hated the idea of rolling around like some idiot constantly.

I'm not entirely opposed to a combat roll, not even close, but it got pretty excessive in the Witcher.

Deadstar

I cannot wait for this game. Their studio has the right attitude when it comes to developing games. I love how they are pushing tech forward.

Denton

Hahaha this article is awesome:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/19/t...-to-make-president-obama-an-honorary-witcher/

I remember [executive producer] John Mamais walking around the office with the collector’s edition. You know, people usually come up and say, ‘Hey, sign this. This is for my nephew.’ He came up and said, ‘Sign this.’

I said, ‘Who’s it for?’

‘Obama.’

‘Yeah, right … who’s it for?’

‘It’s for Obama!’

‘Oh, shit, I’ve gotta put my name at the top so he sees my name!’

So when he came back and he admitted that, ‘I don’t know much about video games, but The Witcher blah blah blah,’ I was like, ‘Yeah, awesome!’ [Laughs]
-----------------------------
“It completely took us by surprise,” Mattsson added. “We were so honored, actually, because it’s very unusual for presidents in any country, or kings or whatever, to give gifts to other heads of state like video games. It’d be hard to imagine [British Prime Minister] David Cameron giving Obama [a copy of] Grand Theft Auto V.”

Philippo

I hope CDPR adda to the game a Photo Mode like Infamous SS's one, people would do some amazing things with those enviroments, i'm sure.

jett

D-Member
Playing Witcher 2 right now...man, this game used to be one of the best looking game ever made just a few years ago, now under certain conditions it can be downright ugly. :p Witcher 3 is a serious generationl leap I gotta say. I hope it doesn't give me any troubles on my PC. I also hope that menu system is easier to handle on a controller.

Bydobob

Playing Witcher 2 right now...man, this game used to be one of the best looking game ever made just a few years ago, now under certain conditions it can be downright ugly. :p

I'm also playing it right now and kind of agree. The game prioritises short range cinematic detail over draw distance resulting in some really intrusive fake backgrounds. A missed opportunity considering the setting and grand ambition of the game.

My biggest gripe though is how lopsided the game feels in terms of cut scenes over gameplay. I'm hoping the promise of a more open world TW3 brings a better balance. The actual combat mechanics are really solid in my opinion and don't need much change.

Just saw the Novigrad gameplay. holy shit! I never knew there was a video of it.
Its amazing and massive.
Also for people who have read Blood of Elves Dijkstra is there! Amazing.

Ugh. Im sorry but no, lady.

Denton

Playing Witcher 2 right now...man, this game used to be one of the best looking game ever made just a few years ago, now under certain conditions it can be downright ugly. :p Witcher 3 is a serious generationl leap I gotta say. I hope it doesn't give me any troubles on my PC. I also hope that menu system is easier to handle on a controller.

what nonsense is this

I mean, granted there are three graphical elements where Witcher 2 falters:
-dithered shadows, which are sometimes noticeable and sometimes not
-LoD switching, which can be noticeable if player focuses on it
-facial animations, which are too stiff

But these three are fairly minor in grand scheme of things, and I still find Witcher 2 most graphically impressive RPG on the market.

Sentenza

Yeah, I could understand claims that "there are better looking games in some areas", but to state that the game is "downright ugly" still strikes me as lunacy.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Unfortunately not yet.

LOFL. Let this be a lesson to us all - this is what happens when the source material is not translated. ;_;

Top Bottom