• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - E3 Gameplays, Interviews, Articles: Compilation

Still a lot of mistery there, since the game was announced this has always been my biggest concern, I've brought it up in pretty much every TW3 thread lol.
Most of the Witchers from the previous games seem to be present. Other than that, not sure except for obvious characters like Triss and Dandelion.

How was the situation going from Witcher 1 -> Witcher 2? (I didn't play 1 before 2).

Finished Witcher 2 just recently.

Geralt looks weird in this somehow. Like he's significantly taller or something.

I think he looks like the heavy from TF2. His upper torso is overproportioned relative to the rest of his body, and it makes him look like a hilarious caricature to me.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kudos to Brad on 4 player for asking some really good questions. Now we know there are water monsters and you can fight them there

Denton

Has there been any confirmation of old characters returning and the status of old allegiances/enmities being carried over?

Well considering this is the last game with Geralt, I think they will go all in and many, if not most, important characters from both books and games will be in the game.

Any word on the book being published in english? I'd like to have all the books sitting on my shelf eventually.

Not that I know of, for some insane reason they skipped SoD. I hope they will translate it too.

Not that I know of, for some insane reason they skipped SoD. I hope they will translate it too.

Considering the publisher skipped it I doubt they'll go back to it. Portuguese also isn't an option for this one. I'll have to choose between spanish and german, my german is really rusty though so I guess I'll have to go with the spanish version.

How was the situation going from Witcher 1 -> Witcher 2? (I didn't play 1 before 2).

Only some small references unfortunately. From memory there is only one instance where one of the major choices in the first game actually affects you in the second, but it's nothing major.
I'm really hoping that it will be different now since you decide the fates of a lot of major characters in TW2 and CDPR has more resources to tackle all the ramifications that can come from all the different choices that can carry over.

Denton

Considering the publisher skipped it I doubt they'll go back to it. Portuguese also isn't an option for this one. I'll have to choose between spanish and german, my german is really rusty though so I guess I'll have to go with the spanish version.

From what I read, czech and spanish are considered best translations that there are. So if you understand it, it is a no brainer.

From what I read, czech and spanish are considered best translations that there are. So if you understand it, it is a no brainer.

Oh, thanks, didn't know that.
I was favoring english since that's the language in which I played the games. I think I'll still get the others in english and go with the spanish version of Sword of destiny.
Edit: OK, the price definitely confirms that lol, they're much more expensive on amazon.es

HeelPower

The only thing I am worried about is how easy or cerebral the game is.

Witcher senses ? is it too much handholding or is it balanced to give you just enough clues to go by ? Is the game playable without it if you are attentive enough?

New potion system? Cuts tedium and pointless hoarding but does it render alchemy a shallow system?

I really hope the game doesn't become a theme park.That's not what I want from The Witcher.

Raptor

Horse doesn't appear when on a boat lols, that made me laugh.

Everything sounds really great, underwater monsters, god damn.

Authority

Banned
Edit: Can't wait.

Witcher belongs to the motherfucking crew!

tumblr_n754a2iOx71qj69woo1_400.gif

tumblr_n754a2iOx71qj69woo2_400.gif

tumblr_n754a2iOx71qj69woo3_400.gif

tumblr_n754a2iOx71qj69woo4_400.gif

Motherfucker you say what?

The killer instinct

You see me rolling

Images

Is the game playable without it if you are attentive enough?
You can clearly see the blood without the Witcher sense. Same with pretty much every other thing highlighted. Think of it more as a hint button if you get lost or turned around. The medallion was like that in the last game too.

HeelPower

You can clearly see the blood without the Witcher sense. Same with pretty much every other thing highlighted. Think of it more as a hint button if you get lost or turned around. The medallion was like that in the last game too.
Woah good point there!

Idk why I forgot about the medalion.It should be fine afterall :)

UrbanRats

I wonder how the customization works.

I don't remember exactly how it was in Witcher 2, but if i'm not mistaken the armor was one single slot, whereas here it seems like there's 5 slots, so you can mix and match. :p
Also, i hope hair styles are back.

GavinUK86

I don't remember exactly how it was in Witcher 2, but if i'm not mistaken the armor was one single slot, whereas here it seems like there's 5 slots, so you can mix and match. :p

You had the slots for torso, hands, legs and feet. You could add buffs to them all. I hope the undercut/ponytail hairstyle is back because that's the hair of my head-canon Geralt.

misho8723

Banned
Yeah. Dark Souls is combat focused. Mass Effect is story focused. Skyrim is exploration focused.
Witcher 3 will fuse all three into one wonderful package.
There is a new preview by RPGFan which sums this very nicely:
http://rpgfan.com/previews/The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt/

Yes, great article from RPGFan.. this one detail is fantastic:

"The enemies have some neat tricks too. A swamp hag tossed muck into Geralt's face, and it actually appeared on the screen, partially blinding the player for a moment. What an amazing detail, and it's so simple!"

L1NETT

Is there any footage of the environmental stuff mentioned a few previews?

The bees/gas stuff sounds really excellent.

Overall though a really healthy E3 for the Witcher 3. Can't be getting too excited as it's still so far away but goddamn if this isn't the exact type of game I have always wanted to play.

Same 4 slots as last time. But last time most pants and boots looked pretty similar so it was mostly up to the armor slot to define the look. Dunno if it'll be the same this time or not.

I think they said early on hairstyles will be back.

Are you talking about the MS conference footage? Because that was apparently on XB1.

It was certainly on XBO. There were no fur physics in that demo, which is PC only. The fur physics were seen in the stage demo footage, so we can assume that that was PC footage.

erawsd

The only thing I am worried about is how easy or cerebral the game is.

Witcher senses ? is it too much handholding or is it balanced to give you just enough clues to go by ? Is the game playable without it if you are attentive enough?

New potion system? Cuts tedium and pointless hoarding but does it render alchemy a shallow system?

I really hope the game doesn't become a theme park.That's not what I want from The Witcher.

I've seen a lot of outrage on the main forum about the new potion system but it sounds great to me.

In Witcher 1, there was no preparation and you can drink potions during combat but you had to watch your toxicity level or it could kill you. In Witcher 2, you have to prepare potions ahead of time and toxicity is just there to keep you from using OP combinations; it was very passive and boring IMO. In Witcher 3 you can use potions in combat and now you prepare mutagens that permanently increase your toxicity level. So we once again have the danger of W1 which is further influenced by the mutagens you prepare beforehand.

Yeah, potions auto regen when you meditate, but I'm certainly not going to miss carrying 500 herbs and all that other junk you had to farm in the past.

Grief.exe

The Witcher 2's system was really not very good. It takes the player completely out of the game to prepare for battle, and then you may be under prepared for certain fights you didn't see coming.

Give us the ability to use potions on the fly that will specialize in the specific battle we have coming.

Sentenza

The Witcher 2's system was really not very good. It takes the player completely out of the game to prepare for battle, and then you may be under prepared for certain fights you didn't see coming.

Give us the ability to use potions on the fly that will specialize in the specific battle we have coming.
Can't say I agree.
First, maybe it's just me but as far as I can remember the game always hinted quite clearly what lied far ahead (message boards with hunt contracts?).
Second, while the system had its flaws (mostly in being quite superfluous since the game was easy anyway) I liked the theory behind it: "Ok, they gave me those missions, I know what I'm going to hunt from now on; I should probably prepare a bunch of these things".

HeelPower

I've seen a lot of outrage on the main forum about the new potion system but it sounds great to me.

In Witcher 1, there was no preparation and you can drink potions during combat but you had to watch your toxicity level or it could kill you. In Witcher 2, you have to prepare potions ahead of time and toxicity is just there to keep you from using OP combinations; it was very passive and boring IMO. In Witcher 3 you can use potions in combat and now you prepare mutagens that permanently increase your toxicity level. So we once again have the danger of W1 which is further influenced by the mutagens you prepare beforehand.

Yeah, potions auto regen when you meditate, but I'm certainly not going to miss carrying 500 herbs and all that other junk you had to farm in the past.

Ahh didn't know about Toxicity death in TW3.That's a really interesting addition.

Cluttered inventory was definitely a flaw of past witcher games (and many others) So I welcome that.

Yeah, I even posted about that point on the official forum, arguing that if (IF) they implement it in a clever way it could even be a massive improvement.

Great post!

I was wondering, are we gonna be limited to one of each type of potion sort of like Estus limits in Dark Souls ?

I mean this could be a good way to encourage sensible usage of potions each encounter.Especially since we can choose when to activate them in battle.

But letting us freely create potions + auto-replenishment could suck.

But yeah generally I think I feel much better about the new system after reading multiple opinions.

erawsd

Ahh didn't know about Toxicity death in TW3.That's a really interesting addition.

Cluttered inventory was definitely a flaw of past witcher games (and many others) So I welcome that.

I don't if it'll kill you but theres going to be some penalty.

Do we know how XP and leveling are going to be handled? Because in Open World games there is always the problem of grinding and being far too overpowered for the things you have to do (for example story missions) as a result. Since I have already heard that there are parts of the game where you need to have a certain level it won't be the Elder Scrolls model (thank fucking god, although I never thought it would be).

Do we know how XP and leveling are going to be handled? Because in Open World games there is always the problem of grinding and being far too overpowered for the things you have to do (for example story missions) as a result. Since I have already heard that there are parts of the game where you need to have a certain level it won't be the Elder Scrolls model (thank fucking god, although I never thought it would be).

Breaking up the previous games into chapters was always a good way to get around the problems that can plague open world games like the one you mentioned and plot pacing issues (when you're done with everything there's to do in a chapter you have to move on, which avoids spending dozens of hours away from story quests). These are definitely new challenges that they will have to tackle with the new format.

I also prefer being ability to drink potions on the fly in case I run into something unexpected, but preparing yourself correctly for a fight is a fundamental aspect of the witcher lore.
I'm playing TW1 with the combat mod right now and it forces you a lot more to use the correct oils and potions for specific creatures. This aspect is actually one of my favorite of this series but I welcome the ability to do it in real time again, no doubt about it.

Do we know how XP and leveling are going to be handled?
I don't know if it's still gonna be handled this way, but last year they were saying that you'd only get xp from the main story, and the side quests would just be for crafting materials and money. That may have changed along the way through playtesting though.

I don't know if it's still gonna be handled this way, but last year they were saying that you'd only get xp from the main story, and the side quests would just be for crafting materials and money. That may have changed along the way through playtesting though.

That would be one way to do it, but I fear that might hinder exploration if there are areas you can't enter because the creatures are too strong.

EDIT: Although maybe you can't enter all the areas from the start anyway.

RedSwirl

So we're pretty sure now that's the same swamp from TW1 right? The trailer suggests we'll visit Vizima in TW3, and isn't Temeria partly considered "no man's land," here?

I just noticed that the game is supposed to have a Japanese version with full dubbing.
I have to say that, while isn't exactly my main concern, I'm quite curious to see if the game will catch any attention in Japan.

Witcher 2 got a full Japanese dub (you can even download it at GOG). Chunsoft even published it in Japan. No idea how it did there though.

- yes, there will be Oxenfurt

I already supposed that (becuase Novigrad was already confimed, and its the university city just next of it) but YES for the confirmation.

Im pretty sure we will probably find Shani there, so Shani fans can be pleased. ALso I cant wait to see it, the description in the books is aboslutely fantastic as it looks totally different from any other city in the series.

Palpable

I've never played a Witcher game. I'm liking what I'm seeing with this, though. It gonna be easy for a newcomer to get into this story/gameplay?

I already supposed that (becuase Novigrad was already confimed, and its the university city just next of it) but YES for the confirmation.

Im pretty sure we will probably find Shani there, so Shani fans can be pleased. ALso I cant wait to see it, the description in the books is aboslutely fantastic as it looks totally different from any other city in the series.

I hope so. The choice you made in TW1 will definitely be mentioned if she appears.

I've never played a Witcher game. I'm liking what I'm seeing with this, though. It gonna be easy for a newcomer to get into this story/gameplay?

Story no, the lore is very deep and there's a lot going on at this point. If playing them isn't an option watch recaps on YT or something. Maybe it's actually included in the game? Not sure.
Gameplay yes, it's a new system anyway, even veterans will have to adjust. You'll just have to understand what resources you have at your disposale (2 types of blades, signs, oils, potions) and how to use them but there should be a tutorial for all that. It's definitely friendlier to noobs than the previous games, they now this will be the first witcher for a lot of people.

lokeloski

I'm getting really hyped about this game. I love the books and the games are really, really good.
I believe the biggest selling point for Wild Hunt will be the open world.

It will probably cost a lot in taxes to import, but I'll try to get the Collector's Edition as soon it's available for PC. I can't wait to play it.

Denton

I'm getting really hyped about this game. I love the books and the games are really, really good.
I believe the biggest selling point for Wild Hunt will be the open world.

It will probably cost a lot in taxes to import, but I'll try to get the Collector's Edition as soon it's available for PC. I can't wait to play it.

I ordered the PC CE from local online shop. It was sold out in 90 minutes.

UrbanRats

Completely missed that one, thanks for letting me know, added into OP.
I find it funny (and completely understandable) how tired and yet chill John Mamais looks, like in every interview :)

In the GiantBomb live show he looked destroyed.
Understandable though.

lokeloski

I ordered the PC CE from local online shop. It was sold out in 90 minutes.

Really? Damn. I'm waiting for it to go on sale at Amazon so I can import, but there's no price yet.
However, I saw that a few stores in Europe are already taking pre-orders... but the currency exchange sucks.

Sentenza

Really? Damn. I'm waiting for it to go on sale at Amazon so I can import, but there's no price yet.
However, I saw that a few stores in Europe are already taking pre-orders... but the currency exchange sucks.
Unless they are going to reprint it (which is very likely) the CE is already sold out for PC and PS4.

Wait, really? I saw the game at Amazon the day they announced it and never saw a price...
I see that people REALLY want this game.

Let's hope for a reprint then, otherwise I'll get the GOG version.
The reason you didn't see the price tag is because it was sold out.

Top Bottom