• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

aparisi2274

Need some help on a spot I am stuck on during the first mission...

So after you
lower the drawbridge, you see some citizens on a rooftop with what looks like a flaming piece of heart
. How do I get there? Couldn't figure it out for the life of me...

Proven

Is Mission Mode available from the start? I have a buddy coming over tomorrow and I'd rather blaze through some Mission Mode with him before starting the Story.
It's unlocked from the start. You won't have any skills (stinger, rising, etc.) or rare/unlockable morphs (Ball, Tombstone, etc.) without touching Story Mode first. But you will have the 7 main morphs, so go wild with Bomb and Claw.

Ok, I got it. I only had 92.

I heard people say they did it with less than 100, so I was a little hesitant to prescribe that method. Glad to hear it worked for you.

Need some help on a spot I am stuck on during the first mission...

So after you
lower the drawbridge, you see some citizens on a rooftop with what looks like a flaming piece of heart
. How do I get there? Couldn't figure it out for the life of me...
Use the football helmet to get past the air raid. You'll have a fork in the road. Going right finishes the level. Going left has you run into a destroyed bridge. Unite Chain across. After that, two methods.

Easy method, use Unite Rocket.

Hard method, use Unite Hand and find something to use as an extra step.

FYC

Banned
Finished Op 001

Holy shit, this game is incredible. When you get a combo going, it just flows so perfectly. When I
countered that boss in the stadium and went to town on him
, it was ecstasy.

I'm kind of embarrassed that I've already died 5 times in total on normal... But I'll get better.

I need help on these guys too.

This is still a long process but
you want to stand under their right-front legs, Unite Guts their foot stomp, then unleash hell when he starts to tip over. Multi-unite morphs, huge combos, whatever you can do to tip them over. Use the hammer to chip away his armor before he uses the stomp, but switch to fist or sword while tipping him or he'll just fall on his stomach.

Regiruler

Ugh, the 002-3 boss is a pain. Had to call in quits for the night.
The first
Vorkken
fight was a pain as well.

For the 002-3 boss, is it possible to somehow
block the spike missiles that damage the tower? Or is it only possible to patch the damage afterwards though wonder-circle?

EDIT: Is there an efficient way to get rid of the spike armor guys, or do I just have to keep at it with whip?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
For the 002-3 boss, is it possible to somehow
block the spike missiles that damage the tower? Or is it only possible to patch the damage afterwards though wonder-circle?

You might be able to stop them with Hero Counter, but nah starting out I think you just gotta eat them on your tower

and I was kinda unimpressed by Vorkken 1. With how everyone was going on about how hard he was.....
he only had like one move and he kept doing it over and over...(occasionally he'll bust out morphs of enemies but other than that it was just punch and boomerang)

chronosic

Can you still get Wonder Beer in the first operation? I remember getting him in the demo, but didn't find him playing the full game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So.....what are the rules on spoiler tags now?

I mean game is out for everyone. Do we really have to tag strategies for stuff in the game's opening?

So is English or Japanese VA the popular choice for people here? Normally in a game like this I'd want them running around yelling in Japanese but there's something nice about the campy English voice acting that goes well with the style.

Fandangox

I have been hearing some stuff about low numbers of copies shipped. I couldnt pick up my copy today cause the place I reserved it was far and it was raining really hard. I hope Gamestop didn't give away my copy.

Fifth boss is the best. It's like all the best parts of the first two bosses, with the added bonus of
Punch-Out!!
thrown in. The whole fifth op is pretty godlike.

-Vorkken 1 didn't give me too much of a problem. He used fist a lot and I picked up quick that unite guts works well against it.
-Laambo is a bit weird, I find it hard to read him but I noticed that wailing on him with Red kills him pretty quick.
-Laambo + Mechaking Ghidorah was hard at first but I played that level again and I got the hang of it. The 3D space shooter section before it though....Fuck That Level!
-DieDough-Goo Was really easy. I got really comfortable fighting those in the demo. I just team attack them until they stagger and combo from there. Rinse and repeat. Then again its just a midboss that will get demoted to a common henchie by the time the game is over.
-002-C boss.....was a struggle.....ugh.....I plan on coming back to him once I unlock a few things to get my revenge.

Same thing happened to me that happened to a lot of people today. I asked an employee where the game was. They had no idea what game I was talking about. He goes to the back to look, comes back five minutes later, tells me he couldn't find it but that it should be there because it was in the computer. He takes about ten more minutes to find the game and brings it to me...

The game itself is pretty fun so far. I didn't get to play as much as I would have liked today. I just finished the first operation on Normal. I died a few times but nothing gave me too much trouble. The first boss (and operation in general) was pretty good but nothing mind blowing yet. Can't wait to play more tomorrow!

Regiruler

I had no issues with getting my copy: I had it preordered and they just grabbed it from the cabinet behind the counter with little hassle.

Teknoman

Bah I thought I was doing awesome and got the consolation prize for Mission 001 A lol.

By the way, is there any point to using the other non-main wonderful ones aside from aesthetic differences?

TDLink

Got the game this morning. Played it for like 8+ hours. Just beat 004-C and calling it a night. Worst boss so far imo (which means it is still god-tier). The first boss of the game felt like a final boss...it blew my mind.

I love pretty much everything about this game. It's going to take a while to buy everything from the shop though. Already positive I missed some secrets.

Bah I thought I was doing awesome and got the consolation prize for Mission 001 A lol.

By the way, is there any point to using the other non-main wonderful ones aside from aesthetic differences?

Yes. Each character has 4 Ranks/Levels (You can see their progress on the gamepad screen where you can switch between them). Using a character will increase that character's rank over time. You can get to max fairly quickly. Other Wonderful Ones that share that weapon type will also increase their rank but at a slower pace. So if you are using Wonder Red all Fist users will get increased rank also, but not as fast. So once you level Red to max you want to switch to someone else and get them to max as well. The more people you rank up, the more skills you get for that weapon type. I also believe the vitality meter increases after you rank up certain numbers of Wonderful Ones.

Teknoman

Cool, also about the Wonder Glider,
i'm assuming you need it to rescue the other civilians after the
shield blocking section?

Bullza2o

I want this game. I loved the demo and I've played it several times, but I just honestly cannot get myself to buy this day one. I'm sorry, but I've noticed I've bought so many games day one, only to find it on sale a couple of weeks later. The way this game will sell makes me want to wait until Amazon drops it to $45 or something, then I might bite. Anyone feeling the same?

TDLink

shield blocking section?

No. A bit after that in the same mission there will be a point where you can go North or South. North finishes the level, South looks like a dead end but you can build a bridge and wrap back around to those guys. Then there are a couple of different morphs you can use to get to them...

I want this game. I loved the demo and I've played it several times, but I just honestly cannot get myself to buy this day one. I'm sorry, but I've noticed I've bought so many games day one, only to find it on sale a couple of weeks later. The way this game will sell makes me want to wait until Amazon drops it to $45 or something, then I might bite. Anyone feeling the same?

No because it's apparently a limited retail run so the price will only go up on physical copies while the digital stays at the current price.

So I'm in Operation 001-B
beating the shit out of a giant robot's face for the past five minutes and nothing's happening. I've taken out some orbs on his left hand, but nothing else. What am I supposed to do? haha

Edit: Nevermind, just figured it out. Make sure you're paying attention when the little robot dude (P-Star?) is floating around.

Richie

As of this typing, the game's 67# on US' Amazon's Top 100 Videogames' Best Sellers, and #41 on Canada's Amazon. 67# is the highest any Wii U related product has been in a long time, if I recall correctly. May drop like a rock in a few days, but it's very nice to see this. At the very least I expect it to sell better than Game & Wario.

Teknoman

Is it really a limited retail run? Or just limited to gauge interest? They seriously shouldnt do things like that early on, especially when its not some JRPG or special release.

ohlawd

holy fuck I can't figure this out

operation 3 forgot what letter
i'm in a spinning room with a fire wall blocking my path. Am I supposed to glide? But not enough air.

TDLink

Is it really a limited retail run? Or just limited to gauge interest? They seriously shouldnt do things like that early on, especially when its not some JRPG or special release.

I'm not sure, but that is what some other people have been saying. This morning I went to Target and Walmart before I ended up getting it at GameStop. Target and Walmart both didn't have any (they even checked the back) and GameStop only had 9 copies...8 of which were pre-ordered, so I got lucky.

Proven

Had my first death in Operation 003. It was extremely embarrassing. When you get locked downstairs with the poison gas near the end of 3-A, I interpreted "Open the door" to mean that I had to find a secret switch. Time ran out and I died. Turned around and just killed the cannon fodder and was through in a minute. So embarrassing.

The only nice thing is that breaking all the destructible walls led me to finding another Wonderful One.

As for the boss, I'll put some tricks in spoilers:

During the missile hammering section, you don't have to use Y. Just make your own large hammer and swing when you want to. Otherwise you're a slave to the rocket boosters.

While fighting the eels, you can use Hammer to block their falling down attack. Doesn't really do anything other than give 200 more points. I forgot to try and Guts the attack. Also, when the eels try to stab you with their tails, if you're quick you can pull them out with Unite Whip.

When facing off against good and proper, you can block his missiles with Hammer and then use a Wonder Liner to pick them up and throw them back at him. When his blades come down to try and cut you, you can attack the orbs on it. I personally used Bazooka, but I think you can hit it with melee weapons as well, just harder. When he does the electric ball attack you can block it with Unite Sword, but if you time a sword swing you can reflect the attack back at him instead. There's probably one other trick to the fight as well (after jumping to new platform, I never got to try using Guts or Hammer on his pounding claws, but considering that it flattens you one of those should work as a counter), so keep looking.
New Blog update:

http://platinumgames.com/2013/09/16/w101-blog-ep-25-tips-tricks/

My god, there is so much stuff in here that I would have found very useful hours ago like being able to hit the
Gedie Dough-Goo's in ball form with Pink's whip to stagger them faster.
Now I know that for future reference as well as being able to drop enemy weapons by shaking the left stick.

AND YOU CAN TAUNT?!

You can taunt to get a power bonus just like that one Custom Block upgrade, and taunting also let's you use Unite Camp faster. There's a semi-speed liner from the beginning of the game, and it stacks with speed liner. There's a way to purposefully get an enemy weapon, maybe. Mission Mode has hidden Wonderful Ones (the picture looks like it might be Wonder Director?). There are other little secrets and techniques.

How to quickly rip off Gedie armor (use a 50-man whip), Unite Ball to move quickly with enemy weapons, and the other remaining stuff was already known.

shield blocking section?
In Operation 001-A? Nope.

Edit: I don't really have anything to help make turtles go faster other than learning how to manipulate their behavior.

If you're standing in front of one and are in range, they will use their head charge attack. The attack also pierces through Guts so either know it's coming and dodge it, or don't give them a chance to use it at all. The fire attacks can be blocked with Unite Hand, so if you have the armor broken off one turtle while the other is trying to hit you with fire, you don't have to stop going ham on the guy. If a turtle tries to stomp you with one of it's side feet (but not regularly when it uses both front feet, for some reason) then you can either stand neutral with Unite Hammer or use Unite Guts to block it and make the turtle tipsy. You can then use anything but Hammer normal attack to tip them over, nullifying their armor for a while (this includes Hammer Rising and Hammer Stinger). I never got the chance, but once their tipped over you can try picking them up and throwing them at the other turtle. Otherwise, just focus as much damage in there as possible.

If you Unite Whip its tail it'll be stunned for a second. I can't find much of a use for this other than to pin a turtle down in multiplayer.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
New Blog update:

http://platinumgames.com/2013/09/16/w101-blog-ep-25-tips-tricks/

My god, there is so much stuff in here that I would have found very useful hours ago like being able to hit the
Gedie Dough-Goo's in ball form with Pink's whip to stagger them faster.
Now I know that for future reference as well as being able to drop enemy weapons by shaking the left stick.

AND YOU CAN TAUNT?!
We didn't see that one coming 0_o

You can perform a taunt by standing still near an enemy during battle, facing the enemy, and holding down the right stick button or holding down the X button and A button simultaneously.
Be careful though, because jumping, dashing or attacking right after taunting will cause the effect to be canceled.

Nothing like a one-liner to get people riled up!

Taunting has 2 effects:
- Your heroes’ attack power will go up.
Be aware that performing a taunt will not actually enrage the enemy.
The point is more to show off as a hero and to raise your party’s morale.

- By tapping the Y button, you will be able to activate “Unite Camp.”
Under normal circumstances, Unite Camp is activated by holding down the Y button.
However, it can be activated more quickly by tapping the Y button after taunting. Activating Unite Camp will completely refill your Unite Gauge, so clever use of this trick is tremendously useful in battle!
Unite Ball to move quickly with enemy weapons, and the other remaining stuff was already known.
I should have thought about it, I used to dismiss the weapon.

"You’ll keep dashing even after letting go of the Y button.

Of course there’s nothing wrong with holding down the Y button the whole time, but in some occasions this might cause some inconvenience.

For instance, when you’re trying to aim for a Climb Attack.
If you’re trying to avoid enemy attacks by dashing while at the same time sending out team members for a Climb Attack, pressing the Y button would only result in the members that are climbing the enemy returning to the leader.
(If you hear a whistle, this means the leader is signaling everyone to assemble)"
.....welp.............Now I know

Teknoman

Well I went back and got a silver on 001A, just because of a stupid death at the end boss. Pure Platinum and Platinumed the majority of the stuff though, so thats a start.

Didnt think you could time unite guts to counter almost everything though, Throwing enemies and then comboing them into dust is pretty satisfying.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So I've noticed playing this game that my gamepad's Start and Select buttons are pretty unresponsive... I can't lightly tap them or whatever, I really need to press them down, and even then, there's a 33% chance nothing happens...

I'm worried now :S

Air

Banned
I'm enjoying the game, but I am getting my ass handed to me. It's not particularly hard, but its always one random straggler that gets a couple of hits off me causing me to lose my rank. Otherwise the game is great, abut there are a couple of finicky controlling situations.

popyea

So I've noticed playing this game that my gamepad's Start and Select buttons are pretty unresponsive... I can't lightly tap them or whatever, I really need to press them down, and even then, there's a 33% chance nothing happens...

I'm worried now :S

Pretty sure that's happening software-side with this game specifically. I think Platinum have done that intentionally just to make it harder to accidentally go to the pause menu or switch screens during gameplay.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Oh sweet

Gaming-age: A+
http://www.gaming-age.com/2013/09/wonderful-101-review-wii-u/
Wonderful is certainly an apt word to use when talking about Platinum Games newest release. Fantastic, incredible, amazing…those work too. About midway through The Wonderful 101 you’ll stop trying to come up with appropriate adjectives to describe the experience you’re having, and just bask in the fun, all the while wearing a grin that stretches across your face from ear to ear.
While playing The Wonderful 101, I couldn’t stop thinking about how much my younger self would love this game, probably more so than I do as an adult. In my somewhat old age, I found myself getting annoyed with the occasional bug, unclear platforming sections, and slightly obtuse directions on how to proceed through a stage. But about midway through I decided to let my inner child take the reins, the version of me that’d put up with pixel-short jumps, endless pits, and limited continues from the original NES. And The Wonderful 101 went from being a great game, to being the best thing I’ve played all year.
I’d like you to take the 800 words of text I’ve laid down in this review as a hastily written call to arms. If you enjoy video games, past or present, and would like to continue to see experiences that remind you of why you love games to begin with, then give serious thought to supporting The Wonderful 101 over the coming weeks and months. This is the very definition of a killer-app in regards to the Wii U library, and deserves every ounce of support the gaming community can muster up.
Amazing gaming-age review is amazing.

TentPole

Pretty sure that's happening software-side with this game specifically. I think Platinum have done that intentionally just to make it harder to accidentally go to the pause menu or switch screens during gameplay.

I have found that holding down the pause button has given me far more consistent results.

Shaanyboi

Banned

...I'll test it out but that seems like kind of a stretch. Do they have a history of doing things like that?

Top Bottom