• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

I'm up to Operation 002, and I got a platinum trophy my first time through 002-A. Is this a sign I should trade up from Easy difficulty to Normal?

Unite Tombstone is the bee's knees. I love any attack where I can transform into something heavy in midair and crush the foes beneath me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I LOL at every single "Ah, MAMAN!"

Same! Green is amazing.

"A man's man by default" got a legit laugh out of me. Ethers Blue so hard

same with "Mercy! Merci."

Best PG localization since Bayo. Possibly even exceeding that. Genuinely entertaining stuff. Anarchy had me worried but 101 is definitely a return to form. Even Pink isn't irritating me as much in the full game. (Her silent idiot stare is so good.)

Do you have the official guide? any good? Its 20 euros for me (buy it from amazon us and then getting it here, and would arrive in october :() so Im weary is not going to cover everything. The descripiton says it has the all secrets, all rank requriments and enemy strategies (thats what i want) but I dont know how well it explaisn all those things.

I've only thumbed through the secrets so far out of curiousity to what Bayonetta actually did.(I won't spoil) Haven't finished the game yet so I can't comment on strategies though.(I don't want to spoil too much for myself) but it has a full table for Bottlecap requirements and who they go towards unlocking as well as the rank requirements for each ranked verse at each difficulty.

it was 16 dollars when I got it with the game. What I wanted was the secret locations and the requirements so it seems pretty good for that.

Oh there's also a code for an online guide that has search functionality for unlocks. Gonna check that out probably tomorrow when I have time.

daakusedo

Same! Green is amazing.
they go towards unlocking as well as the rank requirements for each ranked verse at each difficulty.

Can you tell me what the requirements are for PP on 004-A hard?
Or more generally what is important outside of pping each missions to get it.

Timeaisis

How are retail copies of this holding up? I know Japan only got like very few, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to pick this up on my way home from work.

Ukemi is such a godsaver for good ranks, just like Viewtiful Joe. Any damage you Ukemi out of it doesn't count against you, even in the secret missions. Got the Platinum on the Op 007-1A on my first attempt, which is good because FUCK THAT LEVEL.

Also, I love just how totally incompetent P-Star is. *Ping Ping* useless information! *Bzzt!*. "Those looks like spikes. Who knows what can happen if you touch them!" "Giant enemy signature here *bzzt!* *entire team looking at giant obvious robot*"

kiryogi

Banned
What's even more amazing is that it's Kari Wahlgren that's Wonder-Green. Also, if folks didn't figure out, Steve Blum is Whana/Ghazugin. Totally not expected, but fucking awesome performance.

Just finished Operation 002 and I already feel this is one of the best pure action games ever. The sense of satisfaction from getting a little better each mission is really awesome, and something that is really missed in modern gaming. That one part on the
rail line
is probably my favorite so far. Gonna go play more :).

The Boat

Ukemi is such a godsaver for good ranks, just like Viewtiful Joe. Any damage you Ukemi out of it doesn't count against you, even in the secret missions. Got the Platinum on the Op 007-1A on my first attempt, which is good because FUCK THAT LEVEL.

Also, I love just how totally incompetent P-Star is. *Ping Ping* useless information! *Bzzt!*. "Those looks like spikes. Who knows what can happen if you touch them!" "Giant enemy signature here *bzzt!* *entire team looking at giant obvious robot*"
Any damage? Not just when you die?

Frodo

Wonder Pink deserves more love in this thread:

zlCfzRGlpeQb9f_tGL

Rehynn

P-Star is totally a parody of Navi / every Nintendo companion.

I also love how Green has different food in his hand every operation.

Yeah, I noticed that too. My favorite is the
hamurger-flavored juice box

Luka is the Scrappy Doo of this game though, fuck that kid.

Wait till the end. But yeah, he is annoying.

Subaru

I don't understand Ukemi.
You have to press jump when you get hit, but instead is not better to dodge if you know when you are going to get hit?

I bought it but I didn't activated yet =(

Tyeforce

Yes. I hope you bought Unite Guts and Unite Spring. If you haven't, you done goofed.

Like most Platinum games the encounters get (generally) harder, but you also get stronger, and your skillset expands. Unite Guts upgrade with spikes > vanilla Unite Guts. Drill Spring ? vanilla Spring. There's a custom block that gives you Bayonetta-like witch time on a successful spring dodge. As the game progresses your team is given more tools and skills to deal with encounters, which expands combo and tactical diversity.

But if you are having a hard time, and by hard I mean the difficulty is impacting your enjoyment, reduce it down to easy. The game wont stop being demanding of your skills and attention, even as you get stronger, so a lower difficulty might be more enjoyable.
Thanks! I did buy Unite Guts, not Unite Spring, though I've been struggling to use it.

Mupod

Wonderful 101 get!

Also, this is the first time I've ever taken Zombi U out of my Wii U, Monster Hunter and Nintendoland were both eshop downloads.

Fedex and US Postal service delivering it a day earlier than expected, perfect since I have to work tomorrow evening. Can't wait to get my ass kicked by the game and slowly get better at it.

OryoN

You have to press jump when you get hit, but instead is not better to dodge if you know when you are going to get hit?

Didn't the description say exactly that? I recall it being slightly different - than Viewtiful Joe's - in that regard.

Wonderful 101 get!

Also, this is the first time I've ever taken Zombi U out of my Wii U, Monster Hunter and Nintendoland were both eshop downloads.

I went digital because I could already foresee that regardless to what game I play in the future, TW-101 disc will be going right back into my Wii U again. That'd be a lot of disc swapping for years to come! :eek:

You press jump before you hit the ground after being hit, like Viewtiful Joe

The description in-game is dumb

Subaru

Didn't the description say exactly that? I recall it being slightly different - than Viewtiful Joe's - in that regard.

Yes, but what I said that I couldn't make it right =/

You press jump before you hit the ground after being hit, like Viewtiful Joe

The description in-game is dumb

Ooooh Now i get it! This is AWESOME! Thank you very much!

Effect

How are retail copies of this holding up? I know Japan only got like very few, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to pick this up on my way home from work.

How this all turns out in the end is completely on Nintendo for how they've handled this game. I wonder if they're happy with things.

I do not understand spending money to have something built only to do nothing of substance to bring attention to it and "sell it" to people. Tell them, as best you can, why you should buy their product over another companies. They have showed off the game and it's aspects but I still don't think I've ever heard or seen the direct argument for why I should buy it and buy as soon as possible. It's feeling like Nintendo just expected it to sell without any effort on their part. It's no wonder stores order so few units from the sound of things.They didn't create any hype or buzz for the game in either Japan, Europe, and likely not here in North America.

TreIII

I'm starting my second playthrough after playing since the JP release. I REALLY wish that blog detailing taunt and the like had come out earlier, cuz GYAT DAMN I could have used those tips sooner! :lol

But yeah, I really love this game. I suppose the only thing I don't like is that I still need to keep the U Pad around long enough in case we go into an inner area. I would use the U Pad more if it weren't for its battery life, plus the CC Pro is just so comfy...

Jrs3000

How this all turns out in the end is completely on Nintendo for how they've handled this game. I wonder if they're happy with things.

I do not understand spending money to have something built only to do nothing of substance to bring attention to it and "sell it" to people. Tell them, as best you can, why you should buy their product over another companies. They have showed off the game and it's aspects but I still don't think I've ever heard or seen the direct argument for why I should buy it and buy as soon as possible. It's feeling like Nintendo just expected it to sell without any effort on their part. It's no wonder stores order so few units from the sound of things.They didn't create any hype of buzz for the game in either Japan, Europe, and likely not here in North America.

Nintendo is in their own world day dreaming is what it seems like to me. I feel the success of the Wii has made them think people will buy whatever they toss out there and it will be a hit without them doing anything.

Completed Operation 001. Holy crap this game is amazing! I had played Bayonetta for the first time earlier this year and this is perhaps even more polished than that game. Wow!!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Can you tell me what the requirements are for PP on 004-A hard?
Or more generally what is important outside of pping each missions to get it.

Nothing.

Maybe there's some details in the section for certain acts, but I haven't completed that stage yet so I don't want to read all 13 parts in detail.

Sorry. No clue what is up with that. Are you taking damage outside of ranked fights?

daakusedo

Nothing.

Maybe there's some details in the section for certain acts, but I haven't completed that stage yet so I don't want to read all 13 parts in detail.

Sorry. No clue what is up with that. Are you taking damage outside of ranked fights?

Doesn't it have a general notice for getting PP like you have to recruit some enemies, save civilians, levels having an overall time to not exceed?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Well, I absolutely adore the hell out of this game, so it'll likely flop. Sorry, Platinum. Stop making games geared solely at me, and your fortunes will likely improve...

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but any tips for the indoor/gamepad sections? If I have the gamepad angled up at all, the camera goes up and I can't see my character, and it isn't comfortable holding it at a 180 degree angle. Is this happening to anyone else or am I doing something silly?

GulAtiCa

I love this game so far!

However... There are certain parts where I start to get pissed off cause I have no idea what to do, or worse, know what to do but game isn't doing anything to progress or makes it easier to understand what exactly to do.

Like for example (End of Operation 001 with first main big boss)
when you defeat the left snake head and it's eye is destroyed. you have to make a super create/etc in place of it. But doing so doesn't always do anything... Took me 10 minutes to activate it

Even with that part of the game that doesn't tell you anything, I still very much like the game.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but any tips for the indoor/gamepad sections? If I have the gamepad angled up at all, the camera goes up and I can't see my character, and it isn't comfortable holding it at a 180 degree angle. Is this happening to anyone else or am I doing something silly?

Hold the L button to have them focus on your character.

There's usually only one per world. Mostly throwaway gimmicky diversions, but there's a couple of interesting traversal ones as well.

Proven

It's that move where everyone unites into a "weight" looking thing, only lasts for 3 seconds. You use it against those tanks to reflect bullets.
Ah, it's supposed to be big piece of pudding.

It's Unite Guts, and yeah, there are moves that can't be reflected by it. Elemental attacks, laser beams, sharp slicing attacks, attacks that pierce with drills or spikes, attacks that suck you up, and any attacks involving teeth.

Hmm, there are a lot of things it doesn't block, actually... The good news is that if it's a blunt attack it doesn't matter what the size of the attack is if you have enough members. This includes chunks of skyscrapers and godzilla sized fists.

There's usually only one per world. Mostly throwaway gimmicky diversions, but there's a couple of interesting traversal ones as well.

It's actually the R button, not L.

JCX

Is there a way to listen to music through the gamepad headphone jack, but not have audio from the TV speakers?

D-e-f-

Banned
this thread is great. so for those who own it, do you still prefer the current art direction over the original vision?

yup.

Is there a way to listen to music through the gamepad headphone jack, but not have audio from the TV speakers?

I don't understand. You want to use headphones on the gamepad for JUST the music? Or in general?

If you don't want sound from the TV why not just turn the TV volume to 0? Isn't that the most obvious way to achieve that? Or am I not getting something?

I'm only going into Operation 002 but it's already feeling so original, like games of old. Back in days of NES we'd get strange new original characters and scenarios all the time and it was welcome. The industry has changed since then and I feel like stuff this boldly creative and fresh rarely ever come along any more. Yes, I just morphed into a giant pudding. What's up?

Vaiim

I just finished W101 a couple of days ago. That's despite having it since UK launch (and loving it to bits). But it was just so damn intense - I could only manage 1 mission per gaming session, before I'd collapse into a puddle of failure on the floor. Maybe I'm just getting old :(

Frustratingly awesome game!

Yeah I noticed this worked, but I was hoping there was an easier way... It's kind of uncomfortable to have to hold it down in the ones where you have to fight. Oh well, I'll deal with it.

Top Bottom