• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

TentPole

Oh God... My wii says I played for 12 hours today. Just finished operation 004 but spent some time replaying a few levels looking for secrets.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
uuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg platinum games

bayo2u7lv1.gif

uuuuuuuuuuuunnngfffffffffff

I hope there's an alternative way to unlock secret characters for those of us not so good at the game like Bayonetta's dpad codes+millions of Halos for Jeanne, Pillow Talk, etc. but there's probably not since they're tied to bottlecaps.

popyea

...I'll test it out but that seems like kind of a stretch. Do they have a history of doing things like that?

No, but this is their first game to use the gamepad. I just figure that it must be intentional because it's still completely responsive for things like skipping cutscenes.

Edit: not talking about that 33% success rate you mentioned though. I haven't experienced that myself, just that the buttons require more of a press than a tap.

Tyeforce

So...I just started playing the game on Normal. I've only done, like, two levels, but this game is already SUPER hard from the beginning! I've died so many times already! Does it get easier as you play more and gain new abilities and such? If not I may have to restart on Easy or Very Easy... ._.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So...I just started playing the game on Normal. I've only done, like, two levels, but this game is already SUPER hard from the beginning! I've died so many times already! Does it get easier as your play more and gain new abilities and such? If not I may have to restart on Easy or Very Easy... ._.

Yes. I hope you bought Unite Guts and Unite Spring. If you haven't, you done goofed.

Like most Platinum games the encounters get (generally) harder, but you also get stronger, and your skillset expands. Unite Guts upgrade with spikes > vanilla Unite Guts. Drill Spring ? vanilla Spring. There's a custom block that gives you Bayonetta-like witch time on a successful spring dodge. As the game progresses your team is given more tools and skills to deal with encounters, which expands combo and tactical diversity.

But if you are having a hard time, and by hard I mean the difficulty is impacting your enjoyment, reduce it down to easy. The game wont stop being demanding of your skills and attention, even as you get stronger, so a lower difficulty might be more enjoyable.

Rehynn

I bought the hero counter, but I'm not sure how to use it. Do I just press the click the left sick or move it before getting hit?

Argh, I fucked up, I meant Hero Time, sorry!

Hero Counter is still quite a bit of a mystery to me too. I usually trigger it by accident.

Proven

Are there things that the "rock thingy" can't block?
Rock thingy? You mean the ZL block or the ZR ball move?
So I've noticed playing this game that my gamepad's Start and Select buttons are pretty unresponsive... I can't lightly tap them or whatever, I really need to press them down, and even then, there's a 33% chance nothing happens...

I'm worried now :S
It's definitely something software side, meaning its probably intentional. You have to press and hold the button to pause during movement, but a tap during a cutscenes will make the "Skip Cutscene?" box appear immediately.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the hero counter, but I'm not sure how to use it. Do I just press the click the left sick or move it before getting hit?

you press it in the direction of the incoming attack right as it's about to hit.

I hope there's an alternative way to unlock secret characters for those of us not so good at the game like Bayonetta's dpad codes+millions of Halos for Jeanne, Pillow Talk, etc. but there's probably not since they're tied to bottlecaps.

Nope.

I'll double check in the guide but when I looked earlier there wasn't.

Yes. Each character has 4 Ranks/Levels (You can see their progress on the gamepad screen where you can switch between them). Using a character will increase that character's rank over time. You can get to max fairly quickly. Other Wonderful Ones that share that weapon type will also increase their rank but at a slower pace. So if you are using Wonder Red all Fist users will get increased rank also, but not as fast. So once you level Red to max you want to switch to someone else and get them to max as well. The more people you rank up, the more skills you get for that weapon type. I also believe the vitality meter increases after you rank up certain numbers of Wonderful Ones.

Yep.

You also get a unique unite morph that his extremely powerful for maxing out the rank of all regular(not secret character) 101's. and you have to be using them to access it.(so you can't do it with Bayo in your group. So that should definitely be your end goal with the mechanic

It doesn't take long to do. Like midway through stage 2 I had Red Blue and Green all maxed.

So...I just started playing the game on Normal. I've only done, like, two levels, but this game is already SUPER hard from the beginning! I've died so many times already! Does it get easier as your play more and gain new abilities and such? If not I may have to restart on Easy or Very Easy... ._.

I think it does.

For a game with so many options as this has, they start you off with literally nothing. I didn't even get Wonder Rising until the tail end of the second stage.

and it seems like the game is designed to still be challenging even with all these other optional accessories and skills, so it's really hard when your moveset is so limited.

The more you play the more techniques you unlock and the more money you get to buy modules for the more slots you'll have unlocked to put them in. I think the game gets alot easier once you're finally done shaking most of the pieces out of the box.(at least on Normal)

No. A bit after that in the same mission there will be a point where you can go North or South. North finishes the level, South looks like a dead end but you can build a bridge and wrap back around to those guys. Then there are a couple of different morphs you can use to get to them...

Ahhhhhhh that's how you get them. I probably spent 15 minutes right where they were at trying to get to them.

I got to put in an hour yesterday on normal, and it is definitely beating me down so far. I need to replay the first missions and get better at the mechanics. I wish I could put time in now, but I have I a crazy week ahead of me with a wedding for a friend 6 - 7 hours away this weekend. I just want to enjoy some Kamiya wonderfulness. The game really makes me ache for a new Viewtiful Joe.

Apenheul

I'm at 003-A and finally I'm starting to get silver-ratings for completing missions which means I'm learning to play more efficiently. Btw, I don't find BF4 and CoD:Ghost's collapsing skyscrapers particularly impressive anymore when in TW101
you're standing on one as a boss throws another skyscraper at you
. Gotta let that sink in for a while.

New Blog update:

http://platinumgames.com/2013/09/16/w101-blog-ep-25-tips-tricks/

My god, there is so much stuff in here that I would have found very useful hours ago like being able to hit the
Gedie Dough-Goo's in ball form with Pink's whip to stagger them faster.
Now I know that for future reference as well as being able to drop enemy weapons by shaking the left stick.

AND YOU CAN TAUNT?!

“No way, I wanna use this on the next enemy that appears!” you might say. In that case you should use Unite Ball, which lets you move around at high speed while keeping the weapon in your possession.

O_O

gamechanger

Scoot2005

Banned
I went to my local Walmart to get this and it wasn't there. I work there and go back tomorrow night. If it's not there I guess I'm using Amazon. Digital is not an option. This sucks.

Nope.

Yeah, I didn't expect there would be, but wanted to live in hope.

I can play the game alright on normal and would probably be able to beat hard but the difficulty above that, most of the Kahkoo-regahs and Platinuming everything are probably well out of my reach.

Would've been fun to have a way to play around with "that" character but oh well.

CrisKre

Argh, I fucked up, I meant Hero Time, sorry!

Hero Counter is still quite a bit of a mystery to me too. I usually trigger it by accident.
All good! I'm now saving for hero time. I actually think you need to get hero counter first so no biggie :p

I went to my local Walmart to get this and it wasn't there. I work there and go back tomorrow night. If it's not there I guess I'm using Amazon. Digital is not an option. This sucks.

Did you ask them or was it totally sold out? Often they just won't bother to put things up until a weekday.

CrisKre

If anyone here reading that had a wii u and hasn't yet taken the plunge with this game, DO IT! This game needs the community's support. It's so good and refreshing is hard to describe.

Scoot2005

Banned
I not only asked, I looked in the back room myself. I work there.

Edit - They didn't even have a tag set for it. They don't have half of the currently available Wii U games.

I'm supposed to be switching out team leaders to level them up?

wtf game, tell me this shit pls?

It helps to level them up but really you just need to be varying up your weapons, which is kind of impossible not to unless you are using just one or two weapons to counter enemies.

As long as the hero is involved in that attack, they'll gain experience. The hardest one for me to level up is green because I just forgot about it during combos until I learned its Wonder Rising attack (which is a doozy).

JazzmanZ

So is there a way to read the profiles of all the wonder dudes? I like looking at those data files that pop up when I find a new wonder person.

mcmmaster

Does anyone know of a way to turn off certain secret characters? Basically Wonder-
Future
keeps interfering when I change to the fist power, he isn't even set as my main one so it's really annoying in the midst of battle when I want to change to a fist quickly and make it larger, but because that annoying character can't increase the size of his fist it has a major impact on the flow of battles.

I get that the problem may be who ever my fist character is set to be may be occupied being knocked out or something, which is why it changes to Wonder-Future. But every single time it picks him and it's really starting to annoy me because he can't change his fist size.

It doesn't matter that his special ability is an
always flame fist
because i've got
Poseman
for that and he can change the size of his fist.. it's really starting to become a huge annoyance now. Anyone else come across this problem

Really enjoying the game so far, but like Bayo I feel like I'm more fumbling around initially compared to the mechanics and techniques that are available. That's not a complaint in any sense, and I think I'm going to enjoy the game more as I progress(and more on replay).

I just finished whichever operation you fight
Prince what's-his-face
and get Wonder-Pink. I was doing some reading yesterday and didn't sit down for a marathon, but that's all right. I don't think I can resist playing all evening today. Getting through work is going to be tough.

Loving the dialogue so far and the combat is great. Like other Kamiya games you can tell how you're just barely scratching the surface early on. Crazy that Unite Gut/Spring have to be purchased, but it's pretty inconsequential if you played the demo. I imagine some people out there didn't start with those, though. Bet that's interesting. I'm playing on Normal and damn, haven't died this much on a game in a while.

My biggest complaint so far is that there is a bit of jank when it comes to particular actions. When you have to use Unite Build on the
Bayo dragon's head
, I got most of everyone in except a few, and didn't realize at first that I needed to keep it up until all my units were in(that's right, right?), so I was just fumbling around for a few minutes just kind of giving the screen a WTF look until I got it right. That kind of precision being required instead of just auto-filling it for you once you start is a bit silly. I'd rather be kept in the game and be given a 'freebie' in that sense than have to fight with the game. Also, some of my units got caught half in the ground/flattened during a piece of dialogue. Really not a big deal, but it sticks out and takes away from the game feeling super polished.

Also, it was disappointing to find out the game isn't locked at 60FPS. It feels like it should be possible on the hardware, but it's not the end of the world.

Great/hilarious dialogue and atmosphere. I love the banter between Wonder-Blue and Wonder-Green(laughter is imminent when he speaks) and the slapstick-ness of breaking the fourth wall during the intro with the posing, etc. The characters are pretty endearing off the bat. I feel pretty certain it'll happen, but I really hope to see the Major/Captain enter battle at some dramatic moment. Also, I really like the almost clay-like quality to the dialogue heads, though I imagine some people don't.

Oh, and I was really glad that so much of what I had seen of the game takes place early on. How many operations are in the game? Can't wait to see what sort of insanity it has in store.

I still have a bunch of Club Nintendo coins sitting in my account. Really hoping for some cool 101 merch.

picked up the game yesterday, and cleared mission 001. but only got the consolation prize on normal (had to continue due to a personal error, and dying on a mid boss, because I had no clue how to time blocks properly. Anyone want to give me some input on whether or not I should go easy? (picked up Guts and Spring btw)

Do you have the official guide? any good? Its 20 euros for me (buy it from amazon us and then getting it here, and would arrive in october :() so Im weary is not going to cover everything. The descripiton says it has the all secrets, all rank requriments and enemy strategies (thats what i want) but I dont know how well it explaisn all those things.

Do you have the official guide? any good?

I'd like to know as well. I rarely ever buy guides(I think Dark Souls was the only one in the last uh...forever) but was hoping Futurepress was on duty since they did Bayo/Vanquish. This seems like a game where a guide would be nice, though, since I'm probably going to want to go for everything. I'm hesitant since it's a Prima guide, and I think theirs are often pretty bare bones in terms of design/layout.

I LOL at every single "Ah, MAMAN!"

Wonder Green is my favourite character. I love the french accent he has.

Also i laugh every time he says Sacrevert, instead of sacrebleu. Its a perfect joke about changing a word similar to blue in french (bleue) for vert (green) and still sounding very similar.

I'd like to know as well. I rarely ever buy guides(I think Dark Souls was the only one in the last uh...forever) but was hoping Futurepress was on duty since they did Bayo/Vanquish. This seems like a game where a guide would be nice, though, since I'm probably going to want to go for everything. I'm hesitant since it's a Prima guide, and I think theirs are often pretty bare bones in terms of design/layout.

The only thing I know it's that the guide is from Prima, dont know if they are good making guides.
EDIT. Didn't read the rest, you already know its from Prima.

Meh, just went looking in my guides collection for Prima ones and the one I have is for Super Smash bros Brawl, is pretty shitty and they leave the secret for the two last stages instead of saying strategies to get all trophies and stickers. Not good if the W101 guide does the same thing.

Meh, just went looking in my guides collection for Prima ones and the one I have is for Super Smash bros Brawl, is pretty shitty and they leave the secret for the two last stages instead of saying strategies to get all trophies and stickers. Not good if the W101 guide does the same thing.

Thanks for taking a look. Damn. Ill probably hold off then, unless someone here has good things to say about this one.

Oh, a couple more things. How do you reflect lasers with the sword? Swing? Unite a sword in in with counter timing? Just stand there? I got smacked a few times without getting it so I've just been dashing/springing out of the way.

Also, can the campaign be played without the gamepad? I figured it might not have a way to handle the gamepad sequences and I tried to switch controllers last night and it wouldn't work. It's just confusing since there's an option. I like the option setup with the gamepad but I'd rather play an action game like this with the Pro controller. Also, is it just me or is the rumble on the gamepad really loud?

Oh, a couple more things. How do you reflect lasers with the sword? Swing? Unite a sword in in with counter timing? Just stand there? I got smacked a few times without getting it so I've just been dashing/springing out of the way.

Also, can the campaign be played without the gamepad? I figured it might not have a way to handle the gamepad sequences and I tried to switch controllers last night and it wouldn't work. It's just confusing since there's an option. I like the option setup with the gamepad but I'd rather play an action game like this with the Pro controller. Also, is it just me or is the rumble on the gamepad really loud?

With lasers, you just need to have the sword out and be in line of it.

You should be able to play without the Gamepad. Just use minus to cycle through the display options whenever things shift to the bottom screen.

Unite Bomb
is really hard to pull off in the middle of a fight.

Actually it´s quite easy. Just do a quick 360 with the analog stick and just tap it into whatever direction afterwards. Throw it with x and you are good to go. Even better if you locked on earlier.

Defunkled

Started the game yesterday and the opening gave me goosebumps. It immediately took me back to a simpler time when I would rush home from school to watch Toonami and other anime.

We love you Kamiya!

Top Bottom