• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox One friends and party system is horrible

I completely agree with the OP. I had a mini rant in a different thread about this same issue. The main problem is the removal of the guide. With everything being an app now it just takes way too long to look at stuff. I really hope they change this.

USC-fan

Banned
How does it compare to the PS4's?

PS4 is very easy to use.

I like on the PS4 you can even set up more than one party chat. Would be great for setting up clan battles.

I would like a way on PS4 to be able invite my whole party to a game.

Lima

The voice stuff is great and it almost always works now that I'm trained. It's really kind of magical at times. I got so used to it that I tried talking to my PS4 tonight while watching a movie.

The guy said it is faster than on the 360 when it is clearly not. Setting up a party and sending out a game invite takes three button pressed on the 360. I lost count at 7 presses on the One. Even using voice it takes much longer.

Forgot him and Peter Moore. So many of the guys that actually gave a shit about gaming.

“one thing that bums me out about the videogame industry is that we’ve developed these camps or factions when we’re all gamers. Whether you’re making games, talking about games, or anything else, the factions we create can be a little unhealthy.” – James Allard talking to OPM years ago

The guy said it is faster than on the 360 when it is clearly not. Setting up a party and sending out a game invite takes three button pressed on the 360. I lost count at 7 presses on the One. Even using voice it takes much longer.

Second guy just said that snapping friends is faster than the guide. Which is almost true if you just want to see favorites.

I wish I was connected to the internet back in 2004-2005. I bet the 360 seemed like the most advanced epic console ever to anyone that wasn't insane. What an amazing box. Instead, I relied on IGN and was biased towards the PS3; didn't even think about the 360.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Those are definitely my main gripes with the XB1 dash as well. Activity feed is nice but I'd like a quick glance at my friends list option.

harSon

Banned
Yeah, Forza is beyond fucked at the moment. Everything else I've played has been fine though (Battlefield 4, Madden and Killer Instinct).

Iacobellis

I wish I was connected to the internet back in 2004-2005. I bet the 360 seemed like the most advanced epic console ever to anyone that wasn't insane. What an amazing box. Instead, I relied on IGN and was biased towards the PS3; didn't even think about the 360.

I wish I could have been born in the late 80's, that way I could have experienced the 360 launch like I experienced the PS4 one last week. I'm 17 now, 9 when the 360 came out. Back then, the only thing we had connected to the Internet was our one desktop computer. If I was 17 in 2005, I would have easily been able to get the $100 for the wireless adapter and be able to really experience online gaming. I would have had a wider variety taste in games, further than my original range of sports and racing games. I could have been entering my teen years with Halo 2 and Burnout 3 on the original Xbox and listening to nothing but pop-punk music. I mean, I already did spend many hours of PGR2 listening to Simple Plan, but everything feels vastly different when you're young.

I could picture it now, November 22nd, 2005, playing Call of Duty 2 and immersing myself in a past world with other people around the country. That just sounds so surreal. Things like that cannot be done today, in part to everyone moving onto Party Chat. Hell, Killzone does't even offer game chat.

In 1999 Allard and his Xbox leadership team identified the principles Xbox Live had to embody in order to be successful. They were:

- Safety
- Consistency
- Accountability
- Simplicity
- Flexibility
- Fairness
- Value

Principles the PS4 is founded on:-
-Simple,
- Immediate,
- Social,
- Integrated,
- Personalized.

Princples The Xbox one is founded on

- Battle for the living room
- TV integration
- Revenue
- Advertising
- Expanding the Windows ecosystem
- Kinect

Says it all really.

StUnNeR H2K

Yeah I'm not liking the current party system, nor the way it handles game invites. Needs to have the old "Join session in progress" option again like it had on the 360.

Not sure what the reasoning was for this new setup, but it's just a mess. Hopefully it improves soon.

Value is really striking. Xbox LIVE was an unmatched service for most of last decade, it easily made sense why you were paying $50 per year for it. Nowadays it is $60, and PSN comes close to besting it at $10 less.

30 during Black Friday! Game Stop and Amazon. You can stack.

see5harp

The press the guide button to display the entire dashboard was a idiotic decision last gen with PS3 and is an idiotic decision this gen with XBOX One. It doesn't make a lick a sense for social gaming.

belvedere

Junior Butler
PS4 is very easy to use.

I like on the PS4 you can even set up more than one party chat. Would be great for setting up clan battles.

I would like a way on PS4 to be able invite my whole party to a game.

Is there a video demonstrating party chat and joining games on PS4?

Iacobellis

We seriously need a thread dedicated just to reminiscing in the days of Xbox and Xbox 360 (pre-Don). I have never seen another company in the industry make so many drastic changes to their image in the span of ten years.

Anion

I seriously want this to be fixed. On a side note however, when the party actually works, its insanely clear. I cannot emphasize how clear it is!

mcfrank

Tried to play bf with a friend for the last hour. 3 server boots and malfunctioning party chat in an hour make it not really worth it. UI and party issues are really making me regret getting the Xbox for BF4 since I already had a PS4. I just assumed the online would be better on xbox as it always has been. Big mistake.

I was somewhat prepared for disappointment when I found out the PS4 didn't do those very basic things but I never thought MS would fuck it up as well since they've had it right FOR YEARS!

Zyae

Yes. It was cheaper, though. I think they used to offer TWO MONTH trials in some games. The kicker (for me, at least) was that subscriptions and DLC purchases required a credit card.

They offered 2 months to get people into the service.. Business 101

Penryn

Banned
The PS4 is not perfect at the moment, but I would say it's 75 to 80% there. The core functionality is there it could just do with a few more features.

It sounds like the Xbox one is just a complete mess.

Sojgat

I believe dropping the guide menu was a mistake. They could of refined that with faster performance and quicker short cuts

Agreed. It was fast, simple, and it worked. It's removal just feels like a way of forcing people to engage with the garbage Xbox UI.

Also, fuck Pins.

Can someone please tell me how to talk to my friends while playing Battlefield 4?

We are in the same game, on the same team, in the same squad, and when we try to join a party it says "we can't join the chat right now. Try again later"

What gives?

Dukey

Banned
“one thing that bums me out about the videogame industry is that we’ve developed these camps or factions when we’re all gamers. Whether you’re making games, talking about games, or anything else, the factions we create can be a little unhealthy.” – James Allard talking to OPM years ago

Yep, those stupid allegiances to companies people have is the antithesis of what it means to be a gamer.

Lima

Can someone please tell me how to talk to my friends while playing Battlefield 4?

We are in the same game, on the same team, in the same squad, and when we try to join a party it says "we can't join the chat right now. Try again later"

What gives?

Party chat doesn't work most of the time.

Please understand. Try again later.

According to the likes of CBOAT and others weeks ago, it seems like friend list, party chat, etc are not built into the OS as full functioning modules of their own but are actually APIs that depend on publishers and developers to implement.

Expect varying degrees of functionality and support from title to title. No more uniform experience.

Omega

Banned
According to the likes of CBOAT and others weeks ago, it seems like friend list, party chat, etc are not built into the OS as full functioning modules of their own but are actually APIs that depend on publishers and developers to implement.

Expect varying degrees of functionality and support from title to title. No more uniform experience.

seriously?

so the one advantage to XBL, they just completely threw it away?

Iacobellis

This is what made Xbox LIVE vastly superior to PSN. Everything just worked, no matter what game you were playing.

Fucking hell.

Fire4444

Neo Member
Why are there a bunch of people who don't even own the system/understand "what's broken" about it spewing apparently false rumors from weeks ago? This is really pathetic.

We're just complaining that the current party system is somewhat cumbersome. The 360 didn't have party chat for years, so it's really weird that people are assuming that this snapshot of the OS is immutable - there are lots of OS features in the system that need to be ironed out/implemented, but it's functional right now.

Party chat is working, but lots of the functionality is obscured by layers of menus. It's kind of a chore to use for the time being.

Why fuck with what is obviously not broken? If that's the case, I have no idea who thought it would be a good idea.

It's like the 100 million spent on the controller. All you had to do was fix the D Pad but instead you fuck with the shape, shoulder buttons and analogue sticks and end up having a controller that a lot of people think is worse than the new Dualshock.

nStruct

Neo Member
Yeah, the party and friend systems could use some cleanup. It's a bummer considering how great the implementation was on the 360.

mrdark

Banned
Why are there a bunch of people who don't even own the system/understand "what's broken" about it spewing apparently false rumors from weeks ago? This is really pathetic.

We're just complaining that the current party system is somewhat cumbersome. The 360 didn't have party chat for years - there are lots of OS features in the system that need to be ironed out/implemented, but it's functional right now. It's just kind of a chore to use.

Yeah, it's ridiculous to be upset that features that were working in the past and supposed to be included in this new console aren't working at all or are crippled beyond simple usability

Fire4444

Neo Member
Yeah, it's ridiculous to be upset that features that were working in the past and supposed to be included in this new console aren't working at all or are crippled beyond simple usability

I'm not saying the OP is ridiculous (because I agree with everything he says), but almost every comment on here brings up with the famousmortimer party chat rumors, which weren't mentioned in the OP.

People just jump at every opportunity to proclaim doom and gloom.

Fire4444

Neo Member
Does anyone else have the problem where party chat drowns out the game sound? It really puts a damper on CoD multiplayer.

Yeah, I have that (and the friend that I was chatting with also does) - it's like it assumes that voice is going to come through your speakers, so it dims it. Pretty annoying.

The most annoying thing is you cannot check recent gamers you have met in game. It feels so retarded that you have to remember the person gamer tag to friend them.

Top Bottom