• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

RpgN

Had some really nice online matches with a guy/girl yesterday. We were pretty even and thei first 5 games were really close. Then I was thinking that we should pull out the "big guns" and chose Dancing Mad and surprisingly my opponent did the same. After that match (which was really close again) I was like "oh well, may as well choose OWA now" and my opponent did the same again, lol. In the end he/she won 8 games out of 6. Would have liked to play more but it was already 4 am here and I had to get some sleep.
Its really a bummer that you can't add people to your friendslist you played with :(

I had similar impressions. I had no idea online matches would be so much fun!

ryushe

I was on an anti DLC stance with this game (not that I mind buying them, but I think it's ridiculous you can't hear a preview), but dammit, those romancing saga songs are too fucking good to pass up.

Anustart

I hate, HATE, when people play one online match then bounce. Happens all the time. Even if km playing someone that stomps me I keep on til they're done.

Seil

I hate, HATE, when people play one online match then bounce. Happens all the time. Even if km playing someone that stomps me I keep on til they're done.

Eh.. I mean, some people are trying to play against lots of people for maps. Not everyone's looking to play 5 or 8 or 20 matches against a given person. There are people that do it just because they lost, too, but meh.

Anustart

Eh.. I mean, some people are trying to play against lots of people for maps. Not everyone's looking to play 5 or 8 or 20 matches against a given person. There are people that do it just because they lost, too, but meh.

Its not like there's a plethora of cool secret maps, there's like 4. It takes forever to get an online match going that its irritating when 90% are one and done.

Falk

that puzzling face
I was on an anti DLC stance with this game (not that I mind buying them, but I think it's ridiculous you can't hear a preview), but dammit, those romancing saga songs are too fucking good to pass up.

Between this and not having a more robust online component (adding your opponent as a friend wru) it's like online functionality is an afterthought. :(

Seil

Its not like there's a plethora of cool secret maps, there's like 4. It takes forever to get an online match going that its irritating when 90% are one and done.

There's actually like 7 or 8 nostalgia maps, and there are multiple level versions of each =p

But people tend to put up their better maps, regardless of whether they're nostalgia maps or not. So they may be hoping to come across one that's good for farming certain items etc as well.

Sorry that it upsets you but this is the case with pretty much any online game, not everyone's gonna stick around for multiple rounds. It is a bit of a hassle to get the games set up, but that's certainly not your opponents' fault.

Swamped

Banned
Anybody want to play some expert level versus? I'm also up for some practice Ultimate versus (so without ratings) but I'm really bad...

Anybody want to play some expert level versus? I'm also up for some practice Ultimate versus (so without ratings) but I'm really bad...

I'd be up for it! Not sure if I have you on my list, but my FC's in my profile.

edit: OK, you're actually on my list already haha. I have a lobby up if you're still around.

Kirlia

Banned
Man, this game is ten times better than the original Theathrhythm. I've been playing the hell out of it and probably will continue to
until Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire come out
. My team is Cloud, Terra, Zidane and Bartz for the time being.

People are definitely not joking when they say Force Your Way is one of the hardest Ultimate songs. It makes Battle on the Big Bridge seem harmless in comparison. FFIX's Battle 2 is pretty fucking evil as well, and The Castle is probably the hardest of the FMS Ultimate songs. I haven't read this entire thread yet, but any other insanely difficult songs I should look out for, or are those pretty much the hardest ones?

anyone else having trouble playing online with a friend?

we're both registered in each other's 3DS as a friend, and games such as Animal Crossing we've never had an issue with....

we refresh the search screen for finding a friend, and it doesn't find anything for either of us :(

(this is over wifi, not local)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
anyone else having trouble playing online with a friend?

we're both registered in each other's 3DS as a friend, and games such as Animal Crossing we've never had an issue with....

we refresh the search screen for finding a friend, and it doesn't find anything for either of us :(

(this is over wifi, not local)
One of you has to host a room for the other one to find you.

Swamped

Banned
Ah, sorry, was there for a few but I ended up having to step away for a bit. Maybe some other time!

Ah no worries. Next time!

Btw, I got my first all critical chain! It was for Lightning Returns on Expert mode. Strange because it's a song I don't usually play, but the triggers make a lot of rhythmic sense in the song I guess.

4364da8f4c.jpeg

'Bout time! Ashe was my last pick. She reminds me I have yet to finish FFXII.

Now to work on getting everyone to level 99...

Kirlia

Banned
Wow, there is really no margin for error on the EMS is there? I don't remember it being so finicky in the original.

It's finicky for me in both the original and this one. I kind of loathe the EMS.

I suck at rhythm games but man I can't stop playing. Still can't do Expert level at higher than a C.

Don't worry! You'll get better. Also, try playing any song on Ultimate Mode (try Practice mode for the Ultimate songs, though, at least at first), and Expert will feel MUCH easier. Trust me.

ohlawd

You should go finish FFXII before grinding 99s. :mad:
Loved FFXII but I also haven't finished it yet >_>

My Deathbringers aren't 1-killing everything anymore and I have completely neglected training the men so I can't abuse Awakenings as much as I'd like <_<

leroidys

Really loving this game. Played smash for a few hours after it came out, then went straight back to this.

I never realized how bad FFV's music is before though.

jholmes

Really loving this game. Played smash for a few hours after it came out, then went straight back to this.

I never realized how bad FFV's music is before though.

Whoa whoa whoa. What?

Battle at the Big Bridge?
Home, Sweet Home?
Mambo de Chocobo?!

C'mon now. Bad? Bad how?

Falk

that puzzling face
Ain't that the best feeling.

Not just music games. Puzzle games like Tetris Attack that have a massive skill curve, too.

RpgN

One thing I don't like about the game, is the fact there are still EMS. Somehow it becomes more noticeable with Curtain Call because of how other stages have become polished in terms of user friendliness. EMS are slow and barely have rhythm. I seem to retry a lot even on basic mode for all critical :( Any tips?

I never noticed how the battle themes for FF1-6 all start with the same flourish and bass line. Then 7 is all like "we're using CD-ROM now, so we have to show off". 8 does the same thing. Then 9 brings it back because the whole game is a throwback.

Anustart

One thing I don't like about the game, is the fact there are still EMS. Somehow it becomes more noticeable with Curtain Call because of how other stages have become polished in terms of user friendliness. EMS are slow and barely have rhythm. I seem to retry a lot even on basic mode for all critical :( Any tips?

Wish I could help. Only tip that has helped me is to not do EMS at all lol. I hate them so.

Ain't that the best feeling.

Not just music games. Puzzle games like Tetris Attack that have a massive skill curve, too.

Indeed. I love Tetris attack so much too :3

Kirlia

Banned
I found this earlier. Some good stuff in there about party building

Seconded. I can't wait to get more items with the advice in that faq.

Also, is the map with the craploads of Magic Pots still going around? If so, I'd love to get it...although I'm not super duper eager to try out Versus mode in order to get it. Still, if it's only one match, I'll take the humiliation.

Teknoman

I never noticed how the battle themes for FF1-6 all start with the same flourish and bass line. Then 7 is all like "we're using CD-ROM now, so we have to show off". 8 does the same thing. Then 9 brings it back because the whole game is a throwback.

FFXIV has the same flourish as well.

tm24

I'm not sure if i want to buy Crazy Chocobo because i'm not sure if i hate it, but i know it's probably fun to play

RpgN

Wish I could help. Only tip that has helped me is to not do EMS at all lol. I hate them so.

Bah, I should have expected this XD At least there are only 11 of them ...I can't imagine how annoying they will be on expert and ultimate. How the hell did I get all critical on all of them with TFF is beyond me.

Kirlia

Banned
Bah, I should have expected this XD At least there are only 11 of them ...I can't imagine how annoying they will be on expert and ultimate. How the hell did I get all critical on all of them with TFF is beyond me.

Bizarrely, at least in the original Theathrhythm, EMS felt easier on Expert and even (except for FF8's EMS, which can go fucking die) Ultimate. Fewer awkward pauses and less waiting, so I got into the groove more. But I'm unsure if that's the case for Curtain Call's EMSes.

Phatcorns

Hey guys, I was planning on selling my Collector's Edition on ebay, but I thought I'd ask here first. Get it to someone who would enjoy it and also not have to pay them fees. The very outer box is open, but everything else is still wrapped. Let me know by email (my username at gmail) if anyone is interested. If I don't get any hits by tomorrow, I'll go ahead and put it on ebay. Thanks!

Swamped

Banned
Saw some replies from earlier today...if people still need nostalgia maps, I'm available for the next hour or so!

Also, if people just want to play versus expert mode style.

Just got my copy yesterday and unlocked online VS. I don't have my 3DS with me though so I can't add myself to the list yet, but I'm looking forward to playing with you guys.

Top Bottom