• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Xun

Mystic Manor has opened at Hong Kong Disneyland.

on-ride video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=kEApcS_kVqM

It's basically their Haunted Mansion, but it's original in every way.
It's also not scary at all.

The house is owned by an explorer called Lord Henry Mystic.
You are his guest, about to get a tour of his very own museum, which is full of collectibles, curiosities and artifacts.
However, his pet monkey Albert opens a magical music box... and the entire mansion comes alive.

Amazing blend of animatronics, projections and screens. Music by Danny Elfman.

mysticmanorfull.jpeg

video & pic: disneyandmore.blogspot.com
That looks absolutely phenomenal, my god.

Also Exterminieren, I take it you haven't seen what Splash Mountain looks like after the refurb?

I wasn't aware that Splash Mountain had been refurbished, although I haven't been to Disney World since 2011, in fairness.

Has it been improved? It was looking pretty damn threadbare last time I saw it.

EDIT: Just seen a video. That's a substantial and much-needed improvement.

SmithnCo

You are his guest, about to get a tour of his very own museum, which is full of collectibles, curiosities and artifacts.
However, his pet monkey Albert opens a magical music box... and the entire mansion comes alive.

http://users.telenet.be/warner/mysticmanorfull.jpeg[IMG]

video & pic: [URL="http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com"]disneyandmore.blogspot.com[/URL][/QUOTE]

Holy crap, that looked pretty amazing. Like an old-school dark ride but with better technology. Excited to see some of the other stuff they're doing in China.

According to a reputable site, current word for Transformers at USF is that the soft openings should start mid May. Apparently all that remains is for the last few ride vehicles to arrive on site and team member training.

Xun

I wasn't aware that Splash Mountain had been refurbished, although I haven't been to Disney World since 2011, in fairness.

Has it been improved? It was looking pretty damn threadbare last time I saw it.

EDIT: Just seen a video. That's a substantial and much-needed improvement.
Looks good, eh?

To be honest I never really noticed too much of a decline in person, but that's because the last time I went to WDW was back in 2008, sadly.

Holy freakin crap at Mystic Manor. That is an absolute masterpiece.
The same ride system and technology is going to be used in the ratatouille ride at Disneyland Paris, right?

WOW at the unification of projections, trackless ride vehicles, and animatronics.... I really want to ride that!!!

Looks good, eh?

To be honest I never really noticed too much of a decline in person, but that's because the last time I went to WDW was back in 2008, sadly.

The laughing place scene in particular was almost completely non-functional for a long time before the refurb.

SmithnCo

Splash Mountain looks a lot better, now I want them to fix up the AAs at the JP River ride at IoA. Maybe with the JP expansion.

Splash Mountain looks a lot better, now I want them to fix up the AAs at the JP River ride at IoA. Maybe with the JP expansion.

Rumor is River Adventure is going down for a 3-4 week refurb at the beginning of May. I've heard that they've also been doing some third-shift work as well. Some of the AAs need love.

The Smiler at Alton Towers is just to have its last track piece installed, with chains and the station to be worked on over the next week or so. Testing may well begin at the end of next week, ready for a mid-to-late May opening.

61890_10151650403628185_1761614699_n.jpg

Man, I have so many memories from King's Island and (to a lesser extent) Cedar Point. I loved riding The Beast when it was dark...

OchreHand

mysticmanorfull.jpeg

video & pic: disneyandmore.blogspot.com

So good. What a great balance of animatronics and projection.

I'm worried that WDW's future rides will rely too heavily on projection screens as a way to entertain guests (Toy Story Mania, Soarin, the new Test Track) Sure it's cheaper but nothing beats the 3Dness of animatronics.

Model of Shanghai Disneyland:

sdl934984LARGE.jpg

I'm still not entirely convinced by the castle, but it's good to see them differentiating from the usual design of a Magic Kingdom style park.

The Shanghai castle looks really wide. I wonder how much bigger or taller than the WDW version.

SmithnCo

So good. What a great balance of animatronics and projection.

I'm worried that WDW's future rides will rely too heavily on projection screens as a way to entertain guests (Toy Story Mania, Soarin, the new Test Track) Sure it's cheaper but nothing beats the 3Dness of animatronics.

Yeah, I hope we see more rides with AAs of that calibur. The stuff in the Belle thing in new Fantasyland look great and would look awesome in a sit-down ride.

Universal Studios Orlando have officially announced the Diagon Alley expansion to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES: THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER – DIAGON ALLEY IS COMING TO UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT.

Building on the global phenomenon that is The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Universal Orlando Resort and Warner Bros. Entertainment today announced an expansion of historic proportion with the entirely new themed environment, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley.

Scheduled to open in 2014, the world’s first centrally themed, multi-park experience expands The Wizarding World of Harry Potter across both Universal Orlando theme parks and allows Universal’s creative team to bring an unparalleled vision to this unique project. The new area will bring to life some of the experiences and places found in and around London in the Harry Potter books and films, offering brand-new adventures for fans and theme park guests from around the world.

Diagon Alley and ‘London’ will be located within the Universal Studios Florida theme park, which is adjacent to Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park, where guests now experience Hogwarts and Hogsmeade. The new area within Universal Studios will be just as expansive, immersive and authentic as the existing themed environment.”
overall-521x600.jpg

In other news, the opening date for Alton Tower's The Smiler was announced as 23rd May today.

OchreHand

Another game changer from Universal. Although it isn't mentioned, the Hogwarts train is also visible.

if they put an actual working dragon AA that breathes fire on top of that building that would be amazing.. And all this in 2014? Crazy.

Disney really needs to step up their game in Florida. Next year they have the mine coaster and.. wristbands?

lush

Transformers opens June 21st I believe, there's alot work being done in the Simpsons area, and the new Harry Potter is pretty far along, most of the steel is up and the train track support beams on the backlot are almost all up. Just an insane amount of work going on there. New hotel/resort is about to go up as well, in addition I believe there's some rumored activity in Jurassic Park as well.

Only the Gringotts dark ride/coaster is mentioned, in addition to the train. Wonder what else is in store for Diagon Alley/London.

overcast

Oh my God, I want a Ratatouille ride at Disneyland :\

I want to go to Florida so badly, just so I can compare Disney World and Anaheim. Of course need to go to Universal in Florida, the one here isn't particularly great.

Oh my God, I want a Ratatouille ride at Disneyland :

I want to go to Florida so badly, just so I can compare Disney World and Anaheim. Of course need to go to Universal in Florida, the one here isn't particularly great.

Disneyland in Anaheim soars far above the stratosphere in every category over Disney World in orlando other than square mileage.

It's really no contest.

caramac

Some of the smaller/less known attractions in the Orlando area really must not be liking seeing the continued expansions of Universal and Disney.
Even if you spend two weeks in Orlando there won't be enough time to visit these places.
Even Busch Gardens out in Tampa must be slightly worried.
We always found we had enough time to take a day trip out there.

SmithnCo

Universal Studios Orlando have officially announced the Diagon Alley expansion to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/overall-521x600.jpg[IMG]

In other news, the opening date for Alton Tower's The Smiler was announced as 23rd May today.[/QUOTE]

Looks great from the concept, looking forward to the train as it should be a more fun way to get from one park to the other.

Sullichin

The Smiler at Alton Towers is just to have its last track piece installed, with chains and the station to be worked on over the next week or so. Testing may well begin at the end of next week, ready for a mid-to-late May opening.

I've always wanted to go on this style of roller coaster. This looks awesome!
That hill going over the loop at Magic Mountain also looks amazing.

I live 10 minutes away from Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ. Some great rides there. It's been pretty dead this year (and last year), if you go when it opens on a weekend you won't have to deal with many lines. El Toro and Nitro are the best in the park, and Kingda Ka is definitely worth experiencing. The new Green Lantern coaster has a great track design but it's kind of underwhelming. It's worth waiting for the first row to get more out of that ride.

SmithnCo

Disney have really got to step their game up, and fast. They're lagging behind, sadly.

Yeah, Disney has to do something against Universal's vigorous expansions, Diagon Alley is going to give them another big boost and they have more planned on top of that. I will be interesting to see if Disney have anything more planned for Florida besides the mine coaster.

I don't know if Pandora is in limbo or what, but I don't think that will do much against another HP expansion.

Disney have really got to step their game up, and fast. They're lagging behind, sadly.
Yeah, the addition of the Harry Potter IP is really changing the game. New Fantasyland looks paltry in comparison.

Hell, if this keeps up, Disney might have to dig out plans for a new park to really wrestle attention back. Nebulous Avatar plans will do nothing; they need something really big.

Xun

Yeah, Disney has to do something against Universal's vigorous expansions, Diagon Alley is going to give them another big boost and they have more planned on top of that. I will be interesting to see if Disney have anything more planned for Florida besides the mine coaster.

I don't know if Pandora is in limbo or what, but I don't think that will do much against another HP expansion.

Yeah, the addition of the Harry Potter IP is really changing the game. New Fantasyland looks paltry in comparison.

Hell, if this keeps up, Disney might have to dig out plans for a new park to really wrestle attention back. Nebulous Avatar plans will do nothing; they need something really big.
Star Wars is likely the next project they'll tackle at DHS, but I very much doubt it'll be done for a while.

SmithnCo

Maybe Star Wars. There was that poll a while back, I could see that being pretty big, especially if the new movies reinvigorate the franchise.

I guess that is the ace in the hole. With Marvel and Star Wars, Disney are sitting on two of cinema's most profitable IP. A big push with those two might pay off.

Actually, what's the legal situation with using Marvel characters in the parks? Does their use in Islands of Adventure stop them from being used?

SmithnCo

I guess that is the ace in the hole. With Marvel and Star Wars, Disney are sitting on two of cinema's most profitable IP. A big push with those two might pay off.

Actually, what's the legal situation with using Marvel characters in the parks? Does their use in Islands of Adventure stop them from being used?

Universal has the theme park rights on the east coast, but Disney could use Marvel in other parks, I believe.

I could use clarification though, is that contract indefinite?

Skunkers

Yes. Universal has an exclusive license for use of the Marvel IP in theme parks in the entire eastern United States. The contract basically does not expire until Universal chooses not exercise it. Short of Universal getting tired of the brand, or Disney giving Uni infinity dollars to buy out the contract, we are not seeing Marvel at WDW anytime soon.

overcast

Just looked it up, called "Full Throttle". Supposedly "the world's tallest and fastest looping coaster".

How crowded would a middle of the week July day be at Six Flags?

It would be massively unpopular in some camps but a huge excitement in others but I wonder what the chances are of cars land coming to Orlando now?

It would be massively unpopular in some camps but a huge excitement in others but I wonder what the chances are of cars land coming to Orlando now?
I don't know how likely it would be. On one hand Cars Land is extremely popular here, but its main draw is the Racers ride which is sort of a clone of Test Track

Xun

I hope not.

An expanded Pixar Place has been talked about quite a bit, but I know Disney are trying to push for Cars Land. I'd personally like each park to be more unique, and copying Cars Land would just be a shame.

liger05

went to alton towers last year. That ride looks sick and would gladly go back to try that out.

SmithnCo

I wouldn't be surprised, but I would be pretty underwhelmed. I hope the next big thing for Hollywood Studios is a Star Wars expansion.

yeah I think disneyland and disneyworld need to work on differentiating themselves. Disneyworld is kinda just disneyland but spread out over more parks right now

D-Pad

Got kind of bored of six flags over georgia after the second trip. lots of coasters, lots of kid rides, very little of anything else (besides overpriced food). Could also be the fact that i stood in line for 4 hours for a mediocre ride (dare devil dive). Ready for something new.

if only I could afford a trip to california to visit SFMM...

Anybody ride Batman The Ride backwards yet at Six Flags Great America?

Got kind of bored of six flags over georgia after the second trip. lots of coasters, lots of kid rides, very little of anything else (besides overpriced food). Could also be the fact that i stood in line for 4 hours for a mediocre ride (dare devil dive). Ready for something new.

if only I could afford a trip to california to visit SFMM...
I go multiple times every summer, always felt it was one of the more balanced parks.
never having lines for Batman & Mindbender are always a save on a busy day.

aparisi2274

yeah I think disneyland and disneyworld need to work on differentiating themselves. Disneyworld is kinda just disneyland but spread out over more parks right now

Really? Last time I was at DL I didn't see a section dedicated to live animals or a section dedicated to the movies. The only thing I did notice was the Innoventions pavilion.

While I think DL and MK are way to similar with what rides appear at both, WDW has a lot to offer that DL does not...

Really? Last time I was at DL I didn't see a section dedicated to live animals or a section dedicated to the movies. The only thing I did notice was the Innoventions pavilion.

While I think DL and MK are way to similar with what rides appear at both, WDW has a lot to offer that DL does not...

Similar ride systems on a lot of stuff

Rock n' Roller Coaster - California Screamin'
Dinosaur - Indiana Jones
ToT - slightly worse ToT
Test Track - Radiator Springs Racers

I prefer the DL versions of most of those. DL doesn't have anything similar to Expedition Everest or Killamanjaro Safaris though.

Side note, Transformers at USF grand opens June 20th. Passholder previews will be announced May 28th and the ride should soft open before then. Any Florida-Gaffers who are interested might want to head over around the 15th of May to check for softs.

Cedar Point next week! Whoo Whoo! :D

Lucky :). Is Gatekeeper open yet?

Top Bottom