• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

flyover

Flyover, respond if you're okay!

Are you still at WDW?
I just left yesterday! I'm in Sarasota until the 30th, so I may drive back to WDW before leaving FL, especially if I can get a Fastpass.

Any word on what they did with mankind's greatest artwork, the Maelstrom queue mural?

Rode the new Soarin'. It was great. Theater A in particular had a bright, clear projector. Wonder if it's the new theater.

I saw that if the ride breaks down, instead of just looping, the animatronics just wave to you. Not sure if it's all the scenes.

Edit
Rode the new Soarin'. It was great. Theater A in particular had a bright, clear projector. Wonder if it's the new theater.

I think concourse C is the new one (you walk straight from the fork), but the whole ride converted to digital thus the image clarity.

OchreHand

I just left yesterday! I'm in Sarasota until the 30th, so I may drive back to WDW before leaving FL, especially if I can get a Fastpass.

Any word on what they did with mankind's greatest artwork, the Maelstrom queue mural?

Gooooood! Those dust / dirt specks on the old film broke the immersion

Also I was happy to hear David Putty is still in the safety video

brerwolfe

So where exactly is Universal Orlando's new water park that they are building located?

According to the Orlando Sentinel, it's a 55-acre piece of land east of Turkey Lake Road and south of Cabana Bay. I found a small triangle of space in that area but it only amounts to 22 acres.

muteki

So where exactly is Universal Orlando's new water park that they are building located?
You can see the mountain if you drive down I-4.

aparisi2274

You can see the mountain if you drive down I-4.

The Plot of land where they are building Volcano Bay will also contain a new tower for Cabana Bay.

Not sure if you all saw this, but its a marketing video that UniORL put together for the waterpark. You can see the new tower in the video, and you can also see the fast pass bracelets that they are going to make you wear, since they are calling this a "Queue-less" water park.

Volcano Bay video

Woah, just watched that Frozen POV.

The ride should be in Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom, but damn! Universal needs to take note.

Screens always fail against animatronic figures.

Woah, just watched that Frozen POV.

The ride should be in Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom, but damn! Universal needs to take note.

Screens always fail against animatronic figures.

They each have different uses. AAs work for passive interactions, while screens are more effective at active interactions. An AA Elsa will have a hard time jumping from her perch to the front of the vehicle.

Olaf looked incredibly convincing ice skating in those videos.

Disney's animatronic game eclipses any of the projection stuff Universal pulls off.

Olaf looked incredibly convincing ice skating in those videos.

Disney's animatronic game eclipses any of the projection stuff Universal pulls off.

Yeah, and that's all Olaf does...ice skate on a track and hop around in a semicircle. Elsa, Anna, and the rest are all rooted in place.

Do they look impressive? Sure, but they're still limited in use. And that works for Frozen Ever After, because it's a classic Disney dark ride based on passive interactions between guests and characters. But to say screens have no place limits rides to just that - passive interactions. Spider-Man leaping onto our car is still one of my favorite moments in any ride, and that just wouldn't be possible with current AA tech.

I would agree that Universal's recent screen-based attractions are somewhat problematic because 1. Both Kong and Gringotts continually grind the action to a halt to park the vehicle in front of screens with minimal movement/simulation, thus negatively affecting the ride pacing (unlike Spider-Man, for example) and 2. physical sets are not always used where they could work - think the vault scene in Gringotts (Universal's liking for using live actors in their ride films could still work with practical sets + musion actors for a more convincing result). But those are issues with design choices and not inherent to the use of screens.

Screens and AAs both have their strengths and weaknesses. Screens give you more options with how to present characters and environments, but are less believable. AAs can be more realistic, but often feature a greatly restricted set of behaviors. Just my thoughts.

zeemumu

Universal sent me an annual pass invite to go check out the Walking Dead attraction, and it says that it ignores blackout dates for the day chosen so I should be able to go with no problem. The date I chose is set for Wednesday after next.

aparisi2274

just read this on screamscape:

While Disney announced to the world that they would open their new Frozen Ever After dark ride in Epcot on June 21st, things have not gone so well for the new attraction. Despite the fact that Disney chose to re-purpose the old existing Maelstrom flume ride attraction that was already in the Norway pavilion at Epcot, the ride has been suffering from a huge case of downtime. This alone caused the lines on the opening day to reach lengths of over 5 hours.
By reusing the old ride system I think Disney was looking for the attraction to be more reliable on opening day, but that has just not been the case. In addition to issues of downtime, the attraction also suffers from low-capacity problems, estimated to only be able to handle 800-1000 guests per hour at the best of times. In addition to Disney not trying to break it in slowly with any kind of soft-opening schedule ahead of the grand opening, they also made the mistake of making the attraction available on their FastPass+ reservation program, which has resulted in every FastPass ticket for the ride being already taken from now through to at least August.
This has caused another huge problem for the attraction, as I've had it reported to Screamscape from many guests that even when the ride is reported as being operational on the Walt Disney World app, by the time you get over to it, even if it hasn't broken down again, Disney Cast Members and Management are only allowing those with FastPasses into the queue, making the ride completely unavailable to guests coming to the park and willing to wait several hours in a stand-by queue. Of course they were not telling guests arriving at the park any of this, much to the dismay of anyone passing by the many billboards on the freeway claiming at the attraction was now open, only to pay for tickets and walk out to World Showcase only to be told that they were essentially out of luck from having any chance to ride the new attraction.
About the only good way I've heard of getting onto the ride without a FastPass is to be at the park as soon as it opens and run as fast as you can to get in the stand-by line before they close it off, but even that wont work is Epcot is the park having Magic Morning access for resort guests on the day you visit.
In any case, if you want to see a spoiler filled video of the queue and new attraction you can check out the video below shot by Midway Mayhem where it looks like guests get off the ride in the same basic place as before but loading must be somewhere right after that point, as it looks like a few scenes were added to the experience before you hit the lift hill, extended the ride experience a bit which is good.

I for one am shocked by these recent turn of events. I was so sure that shoehorning one of their biggest IP's into a ride building that is over 25yrs old was a good thing, and that nothing bad could come of this.

I hate to compare them to how Uni works, but if this was Uni, and it was their IP, they would've knocked down a building, and put up a new one and had the ride operational in one years time.

I am sure this will all die down at some point, but how did Disney not see this happening?

They REALLY should've built it in the redone Fantasy Land, and actually start focusing on making EPCOT to what it focused on back when it actually opened.

muteki

just read this on screamscape:

I for one am shocked by these recent turn of events. I was so sure that shoehorning one of their biggest IP's into a ride building that is over 25yrs old was a good thing, and that nothing bad could come of this.

I hate to compare them to how Uni works, but if this was Uni, and it was their IP, they would've knocked down a building, and put up a new one and had the ride operational in one years time.

I am sure this will all die down at some point, but how did Disney not see this happening?

It really is a ton of bad things happening at once. Maelstrom was never high capacity, (and often had a line of it's own even as a no-branded travelogue trip), and FP doesn't create any either.

I wouldn't mind seeing it in October but I am not running over there at 9am to do it.

thefro

It really is a ton of bad things happening at once. Maelstrom was never high capacity, (and often had a line of it's own even as a no-branded travelogue trip), and FP doesn't create any either.

Yeah, I understand why they wanted to stick it in EPCOT to try to draw people in, but they really should have built a new ride that was high-capacity.

Cedar Point lines move faster than Dragster these days. I've visited three times this year, and the lack of wait times blow me away!

Average wait times (excluding front row wait times)
Valravn-One hour
Gatekeeper-Fifteen minutes
Maverick-Forty five minutes
Millennium-Thirty minutes

Everything else: Walk on rides for days!

db_01_Universal-s_Volcano_Bay_Scope_Rendering1.jpg

This does not look disappointing... hehehe :)

Na it will probably be great i'd just like to see the big 3 use their established IPs in their waterparks more.

I mean Universal obviously couldn't use Marvel in the waterpark and Jurassic Park already has a water themed ride in the regular park so I don't know exactly what they could do though but i'd still like to see it incorporated somehow if it makes sense.

Like Nemo, Mermaid and maybe Pirates at Disney waterparks.
And DC, Looney Tunes in Six-Flag's.

Xun

Na it will probably be great i'd just like to see the big 3 use their established IPs in their waterparks more.

I mean Universal obviously couldn't use Marvel in the waterpark and Jurassic Park already has a water themed ride in the regular park so I don't know exactly what they could do though but i'd still like to see it incorporated somehow if it makes sense.

Less established IP is a good thing in my eyes.

aparisi2274

Less established IP is a good thing in my eyes.

Yes, less established IP's are a great thing for a new gate. I mean if you were to use some sort of Uni branded IP, you would be restricted to using a storyline from that universe to sell your water slide, but if you go with a brand new and unique concept, the sky's the limit with the types of stories you can tell.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Lol I was there yesterday and I didn't see any activity around Walking Dead.
I hadn't been since Halloween Horror Nights 2008. It changed a lot. I'm really not a fan of the new screen-happy attraction design. I mean it's cool in theory but the images are dim, low-contrast and the 3D is weak. Good 3D on my relatively cheap home projection setup looks waaaaaaaaay better. The Pepper's Ghost illusion at the beginning of Fast and the Furious was fantastic, though.
The Harry Potter ride was meh but Hogsmeade was amazing and I really liked the ride queue. The wait for the ride was only 15 minutes without fast pass so that was nice.

zeemumu

Lol I was there yesterday and I didn't see any activity around Walking Dead.
I hadn't been since Halloween Horror Nights 2008. It changed a lot. I'm really not a fan of the new screen-happy attraction design. I mean it's cool in theory but the images are dim, low-contrast and the 3D is weak. Good 3D on my relatively cheap home projection setup looks waaaaaaaaay better. The Pepper's Ghost illusion at the beginning of Fast and the Furious was fantastic, though.
The Harry Potter ride was meh but Hogsmeade was amazing and I really liked the ride queue. The wait for the ride was only 15 minutes without fast pass so that was nice.

They're supposed to be opening it next week. Universal sent me a passholder thing to give me a blackout date freebie for next Wednesday so I'll be checking it out then.

Saw yesterday the POV video of Traon done byt theme park worldwide and its was impressive. They said on the vlog today is a 10 out of 10 coaster, and top 3 with Helix and Shambhala. Lots of airtime and forces.

The times that it twists overitself is super impressive. And the theming reminds me a lot to people overtheming coasters (in a good way lol) in games like RCT3 and Planet Coaster. Like some people try not to do it becuase they dont find it realistic as a theme park that is not Disneyland wouldnt spend so much in coaster theming, but here comes Phantasialand and its exactly what they are doing.
Looks great.

Here is the indepth vlog of the whole zone (with povs of Taron and Raik), in english.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MupX_lhMN_o

Unsurprisingly Frozen Ever After still has atrocious lines.

What an idiotic move to put it there of all places.

Also in other news the Tower of Terror at WDW is safe, aside from potentially dropping the Twilight Zone theme.

That would also be somewhat bad news. Twilight zone and Rod Serling are one of the things that make great the whole ride.
Thats why I always found Tokyo's version less interesting, and that is pretty good, is just that is not amazing as the originals.

brerwolfe

At least Universal had giant misting fans along the queue when people were waiting to get in Diagon Alley. Disney disappoints me on so many levels.

Been to Cedar Point a ton of times this summer. Took yesterday to just shoot some pictures. These come from a cross post in the photography thread.

-------------------------------------

I'm headed off on another trip starting tomorrow. Kings Island on Sunday, Kentucky Kingdom on Monday, and then Holiday World on Tuesday! Been to all these before, but I'm picking up two new rides at KK, and a new one at Holiday World. Plus, I want that Voyage night ride.

Xun

The DCA Guardians Tower will be announced at 5:30 at SDCC today.

No word on whether or not the new GotG Epcot plans surface however.

Been to Cedar Point a ton of times this summer. Took yesterday to just shoot some pictures. These come from a cross post in the photography thread.

1jflZ3S.jpg

MsMv3CH.jpg

This two are AMAZING man!
Are they done with professional camera and tripod?
The DCA Guardians Tower will be announced at 5:30 at SDCC today.

No word on whether or not the new GotG Epcot plans surface however.

Fuck disney now and forever with their park stuff. As a long time fan since 5 years go there nothing but bad decission after bad decission.
They could have destroyed Innovetion years ago, to put a Carrousel of Progress by Stark Industries ride in its place, there you have it, a little bit of the learning spirit and the future that Walt want it, with an Ironman ending so they can rake that Marvel cash. It was so obvious it angers me.

Top Bottom