• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Tons of footers got painted with orange dots. They're keeping parts of the structure, some of the layout, but most likely a conversion like Texas Giant, Twisted Twins, Rattler, and Cyclone.

I got to ride two Rocky Mountain Coaster redo jobs this past season (New Texas Giant, and Storm Chaser), and the rides deliver! Not quite a pure wooden coaster, but solid rides.

New Texas Giant (Six Flags Over Texas, Dallas, Texas) POV
Storm Chaser (Kentucky Kingdom, Louisville, Kentucky) POV

Enjoy these POVs, and they're free of the nonsensical hullabaloo of Robb Alvey.

We can expect something like the coasters in those links. I'm excited for the final product.

Tons of footers got painted with orange dots. They're keeping parts of the structure, some of the layout, but most likely a conversion like Texas Giant, Twisted Twins, Rattler, and Cyclone.

I got to ride two Rocky Mountain Coaster redo jobs this past season (New Texas Giant, and Storm Chaser), and the rides deliver! Not quite a pure wooden coaster, but solid rides.

New Texas Giant (Six Flags Over Texas, Dallas, Texas) POV
Storm Chaser (Kentucky Kingdom, Louisville, Kentucky) POV

Enjoy these POVs, and they're free of the nonsensical hullabaloo of Robb Alvey.

We can expect something like the coasters in those links. I'm excited for the final product.

I'm super cool if that is what's coming.

aparisi2274

For good, unfortunately.

That makes zero sense... Unless Disney is doing a complete rebranding of the park, there is no need to close the movie ride... rehab it, sure. But close it? That is a dumb play. People still enjoy the hell out of that ride...

That makes zero sense... Unless Disney is doing a complete rebranding of the park, there is no need to close the movie ride... rehab it, sure. But close it? That is a dumb play. People still enjoy the hell out of that ride...

I have a thing for the ride, but honestly, i'd argue that the ride is that possible, and i'm sure its not cheap to run, given the show elements and the need for people in the car.

Though, i'm sure another re-branding is coming, honestly.

aparisi2274

I have a thing for the ride, but honestly, i'd argue that the ride is that possible, and i'm sure its not cheap to run, given the show elements and the need for people in the car.

Though, i'm sure another re-branding is coming, honestly.

If you refurb the ride, you can install ride vehicles where you do not need a CM in the vehicle with you... Honestly, sometimes they are so bad at acting or pretending, it detracts from the ride. Put in some amazing set pieces from some new movies, and just have some pre-recorded voice work that pops up at each new movie...

The Great Movie Ride is closing?

Noooooo............

FUCK EVERYTHING.

Maybe it will turn into something really special, like maybe a re imagining? With new special effects? A thrill ride? Just don't make this into another Stich, PLEASE.

ito007

Holiday World outclasses practically everyone in use of land. Legend and The Voyage exist as a masterclass on wooden coaster design.

Here's the obligatory "less Uni/Disney talk....more other parks" comment :p
I can second this. I went to Holiday World just recently and I was kind of underwhelmed until I rode Legend and Voyage. Those coasters immediately put the park in a "must visit" class for me. Holy shit those rides are good. Voyage in particular is world class. I didn't think I was going to ride a wooden coaster as good as Beast in my entire life but I rode it. I still like the Beast more since it hits closer to home but I gotta give it up for Voyage. If I was being totally objective I might put it above Beast. Just don't have the heart to do it lol

Man, every news about disney parks this last months sour my mornings.

Good thing other parks besides Disney and Universal build wonderful attractions.

Cedar Point will put in a fantastic ride to replace one of their worst coasters, Kings Island dropped in a new woodie for next year, and other parks start to gear up to announce their additions for next year.

Cedar Fair (parent company of Cedar Point, Kings Island, Carowinds, Knotts Berry Farm, and many more) falls under the leadership of the Disneyland president; he oversaw the great Californian makeover. Ouimet works magic at these parks, and I'm excited for the future.

aparisi2274

This has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read!!!!

Rock n Roller Coaster preshow gets adjusted at Walt Disney World

Let’s file this under silly. Rock n Roller Coaster has been around since 1999, that’s 17 full years of Steven Tyler looking into the audience with his hand over his head and saying “Wait a minute…I love that idea”. No big deal, right? Well, we didn’t want to believe it, but apparently Disney has changed that scene, as of today. The picture above shows the queue a few years back. The video below shows the pre-show today.

Apparently Steven Tyler has been flashing a rude gesture on his head for 17 years. Here’s a close up picture of the video above.

The company has digitally inserted another finger. Instead of holding up just three fingers, he now holds up five.
What was the issue? In a word…Shocker.
If you don’t know what Shocker is…we aren’t going to explain it, just be careful if you look it up. It’s definition is NSFW.

We aren’t sure why the change has happened, but we are betting that it has something to do with a parent who realized that the gesture is conceived as dirty, and complained. Keep in mind that this is something that has come about in Internet culture in the last 10 years, and the scene was filmed over 17 years ago.

aparisi2274

The "Shocker" hand sign was around way before Internet culture was a big thing. I remember hearing about it in the 90s and people buying Wichita State stuff.

But yeah, it's dumb that Disney didn't catch that for so long.

It's dumb that Disney actually caved to some dumb complaint. Steven Tyler responded to them today, and it was awesome!

@WALTDISNEYWORLD SO WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU THINK THIS MEANS? IS THE HAT A DEAD GIVEAWAY? PS...SEE YOU NEXT WEEK...

CqKOcioW8AEI8ix.jpg

Go Get em Steve!!!!

prwxv3

I just recently experienced Mission space for the first time after refusing to do it for years due to the negativity surrounding it. Man I really regret not experiencing it during all my past trips there. What a underrated attraction.

Also Pandora is looking great from what little I saw while at DAK. I don't know why there is still bitching about it when you have both Cameron and Rhode on the project.

aparisi2274

I just recently experienced Mission space for the first time after refusing to do it for years due to the negativity surrounding it. Man I really regret not experiencing it during all my past trips there. What a underrated attraction.

Also Pandora is looking great from what little I saw while at DAK. I don't know why there is still bitching about it when you have both Cameron and Rhode on the project.

I think people are bitching about Pandora because its based around Avatar, and lets face it, who actually remembers what happened in Avatar. I think fans would've rather seen Disney use that land for something either unique, or perhaps another IP that people actually still care about, and yes I know the sequels will be out, and that may drive up foot traffic to that section of the park, but lets face it, in about 15-20yrs, who is going to care about Avatar again?

I think people are bitching about Pandora because its based around Avatar, and lets face it, who actually remembers what happened in Avatar. I think fans would've rather seen Disney use that land for something either unique, or perhaps another IP that people actually still care about, and yes I know the sequels will be out, and that may drive up foot traffic to that section of the park, but lets face it, in about 15-20yrs, who is going to care about Avatar again?

Exactly the problem I have with it.
I even liked the movie when it was released and I dont give a fuck about it anymore and much less wanting to spend my money to travel a long distance just to see that (something that zones like WW o fHarry Potter and Nintendo zone can accomplish).
It will be cool wathcing how they did the floating island for 10 minutes and then... I dont know what the franchise can bring to the table.
I feel since that decission, Disney has done nothing but crappy decissions parks wise.

RoyalFool

Banned
Exactly the problem I have with it.
I even liked the movie when it was released and I dont give a fuck about it anymore and much less wanting to spend my money to travel a long distance just to see that (something that zones like WW o fHarry Potter and Nintendo zone can accomplish).
It will be cool wathcing how they did the floating island for 10 minutes and then... I dont know what the franchise can bring to the table.
I feel since that decission, Disney has done nothing but crappy decissions parks wise.

Went to DAC yesterday and jeez, the place is completely void of any disney magic. Due to the way the tickets work, it's pretty tragic that people are giving up a day in magic kingdom to experience one decent ride and a couple of good shows. The shop to attraction ratio is also completely wrong, it's closer to Disney Springs than Disney land :p

I'd like to put forward Exhibit A.

This company created Snowwhite almost 80 years ago, now they can't even draw thumbs on the artwork the right way around. Half the Imagineering talent deserted for Universal when they axed Beastly Kingdome. Given this, I'm glad they are having a stab at Pandora. Hopefully, James Cameron will demand they make some effort and up their game.

Went to DAC yesterday and jeez, the place is completely void of any disney magic. Due to the way the tickets work, it's pretty tragic that people are giving up a day in magic kingdom to experience one decent ride and a couple of good shows.

I'd like to put forward Exhibit A.

This company created Snowwhite almost 80 years ago, and they can't even draw fingers on half the artwork the right way around.

That whole area is perfectly themed though. If you know the story behind why that part of the park is there. It was a Mom and Pop business who had found dino bones and what not, and wanted to capitalize on the increase of tourists.

That's why it seems like your run of a mill ride area at a City Fair etc.

RoyalFool

Banned
That whole area is perfectly themed though. If you know the story behind why that part of the park is there. It was a Mom and Pop business who had found dino bones and what not, and wanted to capitalize on the increase of tourists.

That's why it seems like your run of a mill ride area at a City Fair etc.

I totally got what they were trying to do. But the problem is even if you make a tacky themed area ironically, it's still tacky themed. It's a low target to hit and people expect better from Disney. They emulated it so well (sic) that I might as well have saved money and gone to Brean.

I totally got what they were trying to do. But the problem is even if you make a tacky themed area ironically, it's still tacky themed. It's a low target to hit and people expect better from Disney. They emulated it so well (sic) that I might as well have saved money and gone to Brean.

It's a smart way of doing a smaller area. I don't love it, but I respect the way it was handled

aparisi2274

Overall WDW is hurting big time right now... I was watching a construction report the other day from Hollywood Studios and the park has what, 4 good rides open (ToT, Aerosmith, Toy Story and Star Wars)? Most the partk is covered in construction walls, and its going to be years before we see those new areas in operation...

You couple that with the stuff going on at DAK, you can see why their attendance is down... As much as I am against Pandora, I really do hope it brings the attendance numbers back up, because Disney really needs its own Potter magic right about now...

because Disney really needs its own Potter magic right about now...

Potter brings in the numbers, but Disney rocks attractions that utilize much more than a giant projection screen.

Disney needs this healthy competition, and it could start by bringing EPCOT back towards the original park of "the future is now". No more of the IP farming.

prwxv3

Potter brings in the numbers, but Disney rocks attractions that utilize much more than a giant projection screen.

Disney needs this healthy competition, and it could start by bringing EPCOT back towards the original park of "the future is now". No more of the IP farming.

To be fair the major attraction at Pandora (Flight of passage) is going to be a screen based ride. But the rumors around it are saying that it's not gooing to be another soarin though. There are going to be major twists that will set it apart from every other screen based attraction like soarin. Screen based rides are great if there are not a overobundance of them.

I get why some are not looking forward to pandora because of not likeing the movies but the theme park land is not going to be majorly connected the the films. The world of avatar (the only good thing about the film in my view) is going to be the main focal point of the area and I think anyone will be able to enjoy it (similar to Cars land). Disney are not half assing this either. Though I do think the under estimation of the area is good and when it opens I think many will be surprised.

I also hope Disney were not bullshitting us with that Navi AA teaser they showed off a while ago. If that was real they will blow everyone away.

aparisi2274

To be fair the major attraction at Pandora (Flight of passage) is going to be a screen based ride. But the rumors around it are saying that it's not gooing to be another soarin though. There are going to be major twists that will set it apart from every other screen based attraction like soarin. Screen based rides are great if there are not a overobundance of them.

I get why some are not looking forward to pandora because of not likeing the movies but the theme park land is not going to be majorly connected the the films. The world of avatar (the only good thing about the film in my view) is going to be the main focal point of the area and I think anyone will be able to enjoy it (similar to Cars land). Disney are not half assing this either. Though I do think the under estimation of the area is good and when it opens I think many will be surprised.

I also hope Disney were not bullshitting us with that Navi AA teaser they showed off a while ago. If that was real they will blow everyone away.

tbh, I think most people were just kind of shocked that Disney entered into a partnership with Cameron on a movie that most people forgot once it left theaters... Honestly, how much of the movie do you remember? I only remember bits...

I think most Disney-philes were still holding onto hope that it might be a Beastly Kingdom addition, or something else that would spark people's imaginations and let Disney create some truly original stuff that did not need to be based around an existing IP...

prwxv3

tbh, I think most people were just kind of shocked that Disney entered into a partnership with Cameron on a movie that most people forgot once it left theaters... Honestly, how much of the movie do you remember? I only remember bits...

I think most Disney-philes were still holding onto hope that it might be a Beastly Kingdom addition, or something else that would spark people's imaginations and let Disney create some truly original stuff that did not need to be based around an existing IP...

I don't remember much besides not liking the story and liking the world. I would have preferred beastly kingdom as well but we are potentially getting a kick ass area and with the Cameron/Rhode double team I think it will be. The IP matters to a extent but if the area is bad it won't bring in guests but if it's great it will (of course it won't be near Potter numbers). I don't think Disney is expecting Potter numbers from this anyway (they have star wars for that in the future).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Joker looks a lot like Green Lantern, which is maybe the worst coaster at SFMM.

Iceman829

So has anyone been to Six Flags Great Adventure recently? I haven't been to it since a physics trip in high school and was wondering how it is. I saw they are having a flash sale on season and dining passes that give you access to the remainder of the 2016 season and all of 2017. The park is relatively close to me (under 40 minutes) and I've been wanting to go on some rides and to check out Fright fest.

aparisi2274

So has anyone been to Six Flags Great Adventure recently? I haven't been to it since a physics trip in high school and was wondering how it is. I saw they are having a flash sale on season and dining passes that give you access to the remainder of the 2016 season and all of 2017. The park is relatively close to me (under 40 minutes) and I've been wanting to go on some rides and to check out Fright fest.

I went last year, and its still a great park. The rides are all top notch and depending on when you go, the lines aren't too bad...

aparisi2274

The Joker looks a lot like Green Lantern, which is maybe the worst coaster at SFMM.

That Joker ride is the exact coaster that we got in Great Adventure for the 2016 season, and its ok. Its a bit taller than the Green Lantern coaster at SFMM, and has a few more flips, but other than that, its pretty much the same coaster...

SMG

First time ever seeing this thread, as someone who ops rides please don't fuck with the gates. it won't get you on the ride faster.

This company created Snowwhite almost 80 years ago, now they can't even draw thumbs on the artwork the right way around. Half the Imagineering talent deserted for Universal when they axed Beastly Kingdome. Given this, I'm glad they are having a stab at Pandora. Hopefully, James Cameron will demand they make some effort and up their game.

Disney signed for Pandora a year before they bought Lucasfilm and after seeing how popular Harry Potter was. They also knew they couldn't use Marvel universe and characters in the East Coast. Had Lucas sold earlier, I don't think they would have signed to pay Fox a fee to use that property. Rumor has it Disney had wanted to get the Harry Potter theme park rights (Disney has apparently been drooling with wanting the Harry Potter IP since before the first movie) and was in negotiations until they brilliantly decided that the imagineers would be responsible for everything and JK Rowling would have no say. She then talked to WB and Universal got the contract.

I can only assume Disney does not plan to keep Pandora for 20+ years (and pay Fox a fee every year) unless the franchise proves to have SW (or maybe even Star Trek) like longevity and popularity. I have little doubt the signing for Pandora was reactionary to 1) Losing the HP theme park rights and seeing how well it was doing, 2) Needing a big franchise they could use on the east coast, 3) Reacting to how popular Avatar was at the time.

It is likely that when the contract expires, the land will be repurposed for something else. Maybe it will be for beastly kingdomme, who knows?

Problem with building for the future is that technology catches on fast and maintenance is costly, but I don't disagree with you. I enjoy one of the rides where we just look at the future of agriculture and whatnot.

I don't mind the IP farming at Epcot when it makes sense. Frozen is perfectly okay with me. Using a very, very popular IP to replace a ride that is based on fiction. Makes sense to me. However, if they wanted to replace Soarin' the world with Soarin' Disney's IPs, then that would be an issue.

More problematic at Epcot to me though is the world showcase. IIRC they have space for something like 9 other countries, and no new country has been added in almost 30 years. They got Morocco to sponsor, design, and pay for that pavilion and no effort has apparently been spent on getting either a sponsor or another government to help expand the world showcase. I want Brazil, Russia, India, Australia, an African country, UAE, Spain/Portugal, anything new really.

I haven't been there in awhile, but I also have a major problem with how the US pavilion is. Besides no fun rides, IIRC it's just hot dogs, pizzas, and hamburgers for food. WTF. Add different sections of the US with their particular cuisines. You can even keep the hot dogs, burgers, and pizzas, just make it more regional. Texas - Tex Mex and Tex BBQ, New York or Chicago style pizza and hot dogs, shrimp tostadas from S. CA, crab cake and lobsters from the NE, king salmon from Alaska, jambalaya from Louisiana, Cubano sandwiches from S. FL, unique food and coconuts from Puerto Rico, unique food from Hawaii. That pavilion can be sooooo much better. I just skip it because I'm embarrassed. They could actually get rid of that pavilion IMO. They could always revive Disney's America for a 5th gate and do it right. Use that space for another country in the world pavilion.

So Six Flags announced their plans for 2017, and it seems that each one of their parks is getting something new, albeit most parks are getting the same exact thing, but hey at least its new stuff, right?

here is a quick recap video of the new rides...

New Attractions Coming to Six Flags Parks in 2017

Man, the fact that Six Flags has the license to DC for at least the next 15-20 years (and I don't think they will do something as cool as HP, or presumably the forthcoming SW rides. I also think WB would rather renew than give Universal more of its IPs and they surely wouldn't give it to Disney and Disney wouldn't want it unless the two companies merged) and Marvel's license is stuck in limbo due to 1994 contract with MCA, I fear we'll never see some cool expensive theme park rides based on super heroes. Imagine a theme park ride with a Gotham land, Metropolis land, Marvel's Hell's Kitchen/New York land, Avengers base land, Professor X school of mutants land, etc? We're not likely to get any of that any time soon. Sad.

Man, the fact that Six Flags has the license to DC for at least the next 15-20 years (and I don't think they will do something as cool as HP, or presumably the forthcoming SW rides. I also think WB would rather renew than give Universal more of its IPs and they surely wouldn't give it to Disney and Disney wouldn't want it unless the two companies merged) and Marvel's license is stuck in limbo due to 1994 contract with MCA, I fear we'll never see some cool expensive theme park rides based on super heroes. Imagine a theme park ride with a Gotham land, Metropolis land, Marvel's Hell's Kitchen/New York land, Avengers base land, Professor X school of mutants land, etc? We're not likely to get any of that any time soon. Sad.

It's all but confirmed that California Adventure is getting a Marvel expansion. The Guardians ride's reveal video (RIP Tower of Terror) teased it as the beginning a major expansion for the park, and it's public (though silent) knowledge that Disney plans to reroute the Disneyland monorail away from Hollywood Backlot.

prwxv3

It's all but confirmed that California Adventure is getting a Marvel expansion. The Guardians ride's reveal video (RIP Tower of Terror) teased it as the beginning a major expansion for the park, and it's public (though silent) knowledge that Disney plans to reroute the Disneyland monorail away from Hollywood Backlot.

On the topic of mission breakout Disney is delusional thinking that it will be a cheap overlay if they are getting joe rhode to oversee it lol.

Iceman829

I ended up buying a season pass for six flags during their labor day weekend sale and since the hurricane/tropical storm missed my state I ended up using my day off on Monday to enjoy Great Adventure. I got there early so I would get in when the park opened and it was a blast to jump on all of the rides I wanted with little to no lines. I "waited" for the front of the line in Kingda Ka, all of 4 people were in front of me and when the ride finished I saw they had space left in the next car so I asked if I could jump on again and the guy said sure. I was able to knock out most of the stuff I wanted within 2 hours and then the park started to fill up and some of the lines were longer. I waited maybe 15 - 20 for Nitro and Batman.

Overall it was a fun day. I would probably avoid riding that Green Lantern ride again because it just seems uncomfortable to stand there with that thing under your balls. Zumanjaro was fun, but it's just the 1 quick drop. They only had 5 people across all 3 cars, so once again I asked to jump back on because the walk back to that ride was not worth it. I might go again this weekend since I can bring a friend for free. So far I'm happy with the season pass purchase. I think the park being only 40 minutes away I'll make sure I get my moneys worth and enjoyment out of it the next 2 years.

The only ride I didn't go on was the new Joker ride. I ran past it when I walked it to go for all the coasters I really wanted to get on and by the time I worked my way back it had an hour + wait so I said maybe next time.

aparisi2274

I ended up buying a season pass for six flags during their labor day weekend sale and since the hurricane/tropical storm missed my state I ended up using my day off on Monday to enjoy Great Adventure. I got there early so I would get in when the park opened and it was a blast to jump on all of the rides I wanted with little to no lines. I "waited" for the front of the line in Kingda Ka, all of 4 people were in front of me and when the ride finished I saw they had space left in the next car so I asked if I could jump on again and the guy said sure. I was able to knock out most of the stuff I wanted within 2 hours and then the park started to fill up and some of the lines were longer. I waited maybe 15 - 20 for Nitro and Batman.

Overall it was a fun day. I would probably avoid riding that Green Lantern ride again because it just seems uncomfortable to stand there with that thing under your balls. Zumanjaro was fun, but it's just the 1 quick drop. They only had 5 people across all 3 cars, so once again I asked to jump back on because the walk back to that ride was not worth it. I might go again this weekend since I can bring a friend for free. So far I'm happy with the season pass purchase. I think the park being only 40 minutes away I'll make sure I get my moneys worth and enjoyment out of it the next 2 years.

The only ride I didn't go on was the new Joker ride. I ran past it when I walked it to go for all the coasters I really wanted to get on and by the time I worked my way back it had an hour + wait so I said maybe next time.

The new Joker ride isnt that great... I went on the SFMM version, Green Lantern, and then on this new Joker version, and its a bit taller and some some more flips, but tbh, I am not a fan of just having the car flip and flip and flip, there is no fun to that. I like planned out loops and corkscrews and what not. A piece of me is still holding out hope that at some point in my life, SFGadv adds a ride similar in style to X2 at SFMM. That coaster is nuts!!

prwxv3

The new Joker ride isnt that great... I went on the SFMM version, Green Lantern, and then on this new Joker version, and its a bit taller and some some more flips, but tbh, I am not a fan of just having the car flip and flip and flip, there is no fun to that. I like planned out loops and corkscrews and what not. A piece of me is still holding out hope that at some point in my life, SFGadv adds a ride similar in style to X2 at SFMM. That coaster is nuts!!

I have always wondered that after its amazing reception it was never replicated in other parks much . Is there a cost reason or what.

X2, even while it was running as X, is a maintenance nightmare. I can't imagine the maintenance budget for it.

The original design by Arrow called for rides just like Batman, Joker, etc. Small free flipping coasters. Gary STory wanted something more for SFMM back when X was installed, and so that's what got put in.

There's a fascinating documentary on Arrow Dynamics that details the history of their rides. It's on youtube.

--------------------------------------------

I've worked on a Vekoma Flying Dutchman (Firehawk, Batwing, and Borg) in the past, and those are even worse maintenance nightmares.

In 2018, Poland's Energylandia will be opening a hypercoaster.

Fans can now vote between Intamin and Vekoma. :eek:

wow, letting fans vote for the coaster they want int the park is super cool. I really hope that Intamin wins this though, from the videos it looks a hundred times more interesting and has more unique lemenets than the vekoma. I hope the facebook likes are not what they are counting, becuase the vekoma is winning on that, and I dont understand why, as much as Vekoma is imporving (and is much better in the family coaster department), its still vekoma.

Also just saw the park map of energylandia, and they seem to have build 2 coasters this last 2 years, and they want to include a new one for 2018? Thats an amazing expansion of thrillrides in a small amount of time. My sister is in Poland doing erasmus this year, maybe I go and make her a visit lol

Top Bottom