• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Themes incoming for PS4 2.0 and PSVita 3.30

Pimpbaa

I wonder how much resources they are allowed for themes. Some PS3 themes had some basic polygonal models (like a couple of star trek themes). The models in that ps4 theme were pretty basic as well, but I wonder if it's possible to have something more advanced. Anyway, bring on the badly animated and poorly drawn half naked lady themes!

M3d10n

They copied Nintendo real fast this time

Wasn't there another similar situation? I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember Nintendo announcing some new firmware update and Sony had the same thing just a few days later. It was so fast it felt more like collusion or industrial espionage instead of copying.

Looking forward to the dedicated PS4 theme website. The PS3 theme website was so great and amazed me at what you could do with the PS3. The Heavy Rain dynamic theme really showed there are levels to this shit.

Can't wait to get rid of the blue.

Shin-Ra

Wasn't there another similar situation? I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember Nintendo announcing some new firmware update and Sony had the same thing just a few days later. It was so fast it felt more like collusion or industrial espionage instead of copying.
You mean Stereoscopic 3D Blu-ray support, beating Microsoft to the punch?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just give me the PS3 XMB wave, and I'm good. It's slightly embarrassing that PS3 XMB wave looks 'next gen' compared to the background animation on PS4. Hell, I'd say even PS2 backgrounds looked more next gen than PS4 ones.

ckohler

Here are my thoughts on this:

• The first theme they showed off is too distracting.
  • I do like that themes can support (subtle) background video and custom UI sounds.
  • I'm frustrated to see that nothing else about the UI layout has been improved.
  • Worse, themes could limit them from innovating/changing the UI in the future.
Just let us slap our own wallpaper in the background or change the system BG color. That's all most people really want. Not all this animated distraction.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Holy shit, this is the best day of news ever.

Just let me add a nice and clean wallpaper of my choosing, and let me choose the colours.
This is great.

mattp

i dont care about themes. themes just means they can sell us stuff
i just want to change the background color or set a background image

Yes. YES.

I have been more than ready.

Hell, I'll start taking requests now.

Thinking vertically here, since themes are two layered:

Shadow of the Colossus
Journey, especially nearing the mountain and that blue underground ruin with the tower

Look at all this potential:
Journey+23.jpg

Journey-Dragon.png

b3e2fd6838d7f927e6bc1850549e0c2ad3b84280.jpg__576x480_q85.jpg

end+3.png

I love the Locoroco and Badman stuff in the Toro background. Toro remembers the glory days of the PSP (although apparently not the gloriest days, with Patapon).

They look like some seriously cool dynamic stuff on PS4, and the Vita themes were slick. I want Gravity Rush or Patapon themes for both.

Loudninja

Early this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia (SCEJA) held a press conference in Tokyo where some new features were announced for both PS4 and PS Vita. In case you missed it, I’m happy to confirm that Themes, one of the most popular features from PlayStation 3, are coming to PS4 and PS Vita this fall with system software updates coming to both platforms.
With these two updates (v2.00 for PS4 and v.3.30 for PS Vita), you’ll be able to reflect your personality across all your PlayStation systems — PS4, PS3, and PS Vita! Themes are among the most requested features from PS4 owners, so we’re eager to offer them and will share more about the feature in the coming weeks. Here’s a sneak peek of what the PS4 & PS Vita home screens will look like with customized Themes.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...ve-from-playstation-app-vita-bound/#sf4415087

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Really enjoyed themes on PS3 & PSP, so it's great to see them coming to Vita (dig the icons changing) & PS4, not to mention 3DS.

I so hope that Danganronpa one comes to the US, or at the very least, they make one based on either 1 &/or 2.

....also, Persona 4 Golden, because I STILL have the picture for the unlock screen & that skin for the handheld.

mattp

groan
the fact that they are only saying themes and not "custom background colors or images" seems to mean it's stock theme or paid theme. no changing the bg on your own

How could they do this before fixing the U.I. problems? I feel like them saying they are working on the most requested features is BS.

dancmc

The real question is when is this new firmware going to be out. Fall is sort of nebulous. Have we had any meaningful firmware changes on PS4 over the first year? It's taking them forever

Will i atleast be able to change the background color on my Ps4? I want to see this as well in firmware update 2.0.

Change_Your_Desktop_On_Vita4.jpg

I want to make it that khaki green color.

Here are my thoughts on this:

• The first theme they showed off is too distracting.
  • I do like that themes can support (subtle) background video and custom UI sounds.
  • I'm frustrated to see that nothing else about the UI layout has been improved.
  • Worse, themes could limit them from innovating/changing the UI in the future.
Just let us slap our own wallpaper in the background or change the system BG color. That's all most people really want. Not all this animated distraction.

You were expecting a UI revamp or something? The UI is great the way it is. They're adding themes like the PS3 has.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Finally, I can make everything red. I hope they include one where it changes by the time of day, day of the month and month. I loved that to death on PS3.
Yes. YES.
I have been more than ready.
Hell, I'll start taking requests now.
The background is a Rubix Cube. Every time you press one of the four directions it uses the input to change the cube by one move, trying to solve it to the best of its ability. This is my request.

Top Bottom