• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theory: Why The PlayStation 5 Is So Large

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
The components/sink plate/board placement can only go one direction given the rectangular dimensions of the boards - as such, from the bottom holes a lot of the airflow is impeded by the stand, and a signifcant portion is trapped and deviates from where it should go - that's well over half of the box.

The air flows up both sides of the console you clown.

The air flows up both sides of the console you clown.

I think you're too enamored with that word. Here's so you can look the part.

Clownjem.png

RaySoft

Those mockups have no insides, also ports are blocked with plastic flaps. I don't know what this photo shows but I doubt it's the final design. Without metal shielding, those components must be way over the EM limits in EU to pass certification.
I didn't mean the new mockups that were sent to youtubers.. I meant the Series X "Lego Edition" that Digital Foundry and some other youtubers got to play with some months ago (back in march?)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's mostly the cooling, Sony had a lot of issues with cooling in the Pro especially and they might be overcompensating a bit.

That's a nice theory, but I'm pretty sure it's just because the PS4 Pro sounds like a jet taking off, so they wanted to counter that this time. Big box allows for big cooling system and it can run quiet. Hopefully.

FrankWza

Are either of the consoles going to fit in most cabinets and have enough space for airflow? If it goes on top of your stand, is your stand that much bigger than your tv that you won’t need to put it behind it? Unless you had to wall mount for space reasons you’re best served putting either system behind your tv anyway. Unless the series x runs just as cool and quiet AND is able to be in a smaller case we won’t know until more units are available in real world scenarios.And even then, it’s gonna need to be in actual gamers hands. Most of these “review” sites are compromised and have an agenda. Let’s wait and we’ll see. But if it’s quiet and liquid cooled with fans and internal expansion storage bays, Ps5 size is fine by me

Md Ray

They don't have to expose the whole motherboard PCB to the user. It can be like a laptop solution where you just expose only part of the PCB where the slot is located. Kinda like this:
acer_aspire_e15_m2_screwing_in-100751033-large.jpg

I suppose you just have to pop out this top shell in order to access the NVMe slot:
ps5-side-panel-image-2.jpg

Sony has done this in the past (letting you take the top shell out or at least a part of it) for e.g.:
514c3ded3865f4d154778e944b5483af.jpg
BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef hey, I called it. :messenger_grinning:
5cODgyW.png

anaphase

Spin it much as you want, that thing is gigantic. Absurdly gigantic. And ugly AF. Hire back your PS2 console designers, Sony.

The PS1 was a masterpiece. PS2 was equally nice. From then on its gotten gimmicky and weird.

Pro was great, but the fan noise was annoying and it ran hot. They are giving the people what they want i.e. a quiet console (hopefully).

Even the base PS4 went nuts with Uncharted 4 - hopefully this means that developers can stretch it in years to come without it sounding like it is taking off.

The alternative is to make it run hotter, but we know what that can lead to....

Last edited:

Numenorean

The PS1 was a masterpiece. PS2 was equally nice. From then on its gotten gimmicky and weird.

PS1 and PS2 CPU and GPU werent as demanding as PS3's CELL and above. The more GPU/CPU power demand the more complex and efficient cooling systems are required.

I'm not a desing engineer, but I cant say that as long as the console is cool and work as intented, I'm fine.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It's gorgeous??? 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
Sure, Jan.

The PlayStation 5 has a unique and stylish shape, an exterior that's textured with the symbols of the PlayStation controller, and a beautiful glossy finish on its interior - all of which convey that it's a premium product. Its internals are equally unique and stylish, featuring a dual-sided fan, a robust heatsink, and a liquid-metal thermal solution. On the other hand, the Xbox Series X is a boring square prism that's made out of flat, matte plastic and whose internals look as if they're just crammed into the chassis like Lego blocks and have an inefficient, single fan that causes the console to run hot according to numerous sources. I mean, just look at the two machines; one clearly looks better than the other.

xbox-series-x-3.jpg

aQ4TzN2dUmswFRiHavnsjeUC.jpg

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
The PlayStation 5 has a unique and stylish shape, an exterior that's textured with the symbols of the PlayStation controller, and a beautiful glossy finish on its interior - all of which convey that it's a premium product. Its internals are equally unique and stylish, featuring a a dual-sided fan, a robust heatsink, and a liquid-metal thermal solution. On the other hand, the Xbox Series X is a boring square prism that's made out of flat, matte plastic and whose internals look as if they're just crammed into the chassis like Lego blocks and have an inefficient, single fan that causes the console to run hot according to numerous sources. I mean, just look at the two machines; one clearly looks better than the other.

xbox-series-x-3.jpg

"The PlayStation 5 has a unique and stylish shape, an exterior that's textured with the symbols of the PlayStation controller, and a beautiful glossy finish on its interior - all of which convey that it's a premium product. Its internals are equally unique and stylish, featuring a a dual-sided fan, a robust heatsink, and a liquid-metal thermal solution."

Please tell me you copy pasted that from an official site.

Last edited:

anaphase

PS1 and PS2 CPU and GPU werent as demanding as PS3's CELL and above. The more GPU/CPU power demand the more complex and efficient cooling systems are required.

I'm not a desing engineer, but I cant say that as long as the console is cool and work as intented, I'm fine.

Yeah, I understand that completely. I wish I had another console to compare it to since this'll come off as fanboyish(not one of those), but Xbox manages to keep it simple. Can't go wrong with a rectangle.

Series x isn't beautiful, but it's not ugly or overly huge. It'll fit in with my living room, or play area decor. With PS5 I'm gonna have to figure something out, it'll stick out like a sore thumb.

First world problems, I know.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

The PlayStation 5 has a unique and stylish shape, an exterior that's textured with the symbols of the PlayStation controller, and a beautiful glossy finish on its interior - all of which convey that it's a premium product. Its internals are equally unique and stylish, featuring a a dual-sided fan, a robust heatsink, and a liquid-metal thermal solution. On the other hand, the Xbox Series X is a boring square prism that's made out of flat, matte plastic and whose internals look as if they're just crammed into the chassis like Lego blocks and have an inefficient, single fan that causes the console to run hot according to numerous sources. I mean, just look at the two machines; one clearly looks better than the other.

xbox-series-x-3.jpg

Holy shit glossy is a good thing now?

The PlayStation 5 has a unique and stylish shape, an exterior that's textured with the symbols of the PlayStation controller, and a beautiful glossy finish on its interior - all of which convey that it's a premium product. Its internals are equally unique and stylish, featuring a dual-sided fan, a robust heatsink, and a liquid-metal thermal solution. On the other hand, the Xbox Series X is a boring square prism that's made out of flat, matte plastic and whose internals look as if they're just crammed into the chassis like Lego blocks and have an inefficient, single fan that causes the console to run hot according to numerous sources. I mean, just look at the two machines; one clearly looks better than the other.

xbox-series-x-3.jpg

Who knocked over that Xbox then put the controller back like nothing happen?

Kerotan

I got a discount. So, it - along with tax and shipping - cost me $365.
*Faints again...

I hope these SSD's drop in price fast. I could hold out 2 years max before I'll buy one and I want at least 2TB. That would give me 2.6TB total which will be plenty for this gen.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
*Faints again...

I hope these SSD's drop in price fast. I could hold out 2 years max before I'll buy one and I want at least 2TB. That would give me 2.6TB total which will be plenty for this gen.
Well, you have to consider the capacity and the novel speed; 2TB @ 5GB/s is worth $365, in my opinion. Having said that, it's limited to 3.5GB/s in my system, because my motherboard supports PCIe up to only Gen 3; however, it's still a worthwhile investment because I intend to upgrade my CPU and motherboard next year or so and to keep the drive.

SolidSlug

Neo Member
Maybe it's just good thermal design. You know, the kind that doesn't cost $1,000+ million in console replacement programs.

Md Ray

xbox-series-x-3.jpg

Man, Xbox looks so uninspiring next to PS5.

Top Bottom