• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theory: Why The PlayStation 5 Is So Large

Console is out on Oct 4 for Youtubers and influencers but somehow they scared about showing it off - no previews etc. What kind of FUD are y'all smoking?

Them narratives need a budget increase....

There is no narrative that's gonna make that huge square black box more appealing than the PS5 design on a living room, even with all its faults. But if some posters just work a bit harder at it maybe, just maybe, it may change a potential sale. Maybe.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I picked this up from an Amazon locker about an hour ago while on my way to work. It's my first m.2 SSD, so I'm excited to experience how fast it is. The only SSD that I currently have in my PC is a 500GB Samsung EVO SATA SSD, which tops out at 540 MB/s and 520 MB/s when reading and writing data, respectively.

A07Rjry.jpg

Console is out on Oct 4 for Youtubers and influencers but somehow they scared about showing it off - no previews etc. What kind of FUD are y'all smoking?

There is no narrative that's gonna make that huge square black box more appealing than the PS5 design on a living room, even with all its faults. But if some posters just work a bit harder at it maybe, just maybe, it may change a potential sale. Maybe.

what you’re going to see is some very careful demonstrations of gameplay and maybe UI features by only Japanese reviewers. I would be surprised if you even get a glimpse of the hardware in these videos.

Barakov

So new DSR footage next Sunday? Excellent.:messenger_face_steam:

So new DSR footage next Sunday? Excellent.:messenger_face_steam:

Hopefully we'll get something curated from Sony themselves this week before their influencers get to work on the masses. I mean it's common sense unless idiots are running their marketing dept. I do have to say however, the current team are not the brightest bulbs around...not compared to their predecessors.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

You're really still trying to push that, huh?

Oh right, I remember Cerny talking about it during the tech talk.

Cerny: One of the major complaints about our previous hardware was that it was too easy to throw. We developed a cutting edge technique to remedy the issue. By making the console as big as a horse we've reduced throwabilty by 87%.

There is nothing to push, that's how these boxes are designed exactly as what i stated and not your idiotic analogies.

But keep stay ignorant mate, no matter your "i don't agree with it posts, so lets try to ridicule attempts' change how the reality works. There is a reason why there are no open fans, there is no lose ram in those boxes etc because everything needs to be solid to not move and be resistance against movement. That's why in general these boxes are completely covered in plastic which isn't helping the cooling solution even remotely and limits them normally wattage wise ( also size )

Even on PC with shipping pre-builds, most of these boxes ship doa towards the consumer because hardware simple fell out like ram, there is always a massive warning label that points u out to this. Consoles can't have this because kids move these boxes around from one room to another room and with that a lot of people handle these boxes far rougher than most people anticipate like u that thread your plastic cases like a holy object. Hell PC even has this where people just smash shit around and break stuff, people are just idiots and really don't give 2 shits about handling things carefully. This is why u got endless disclaimers that tell u what to do not, to the point of not throwing water on it because some moron tried to do that and sue them for it. ( that's real extreme tho )

The fact that u don't even realize this shit, really showcases your lack of knowledge on this area. Sony will not want to have dead boxes send back within the warranty period.

If this wasn't the case, u would have seen a big fan on the xbox series X on the top in a complete open space much like what u would see on PC and GPU fans for maximum airflow the same goes for PS5. But they can't because they need a layer of plastic protecting the whole thing or else those fans will kill those boxes as people will find ways to destroy them, which limits airflow and results in a bigger box naturally as result or weaker hardware. Hell even nvidia cut on the ram on there GPU simple for the fact they couldn't make the GPU even more bigger as the cooler couldn't handle it. Also a thing.

This is also why watercooling is something u will never find in those boxes, and why AMD radeon's dropped there water blocks on there GPU's because these things would endlessly break through bad handling ) which was even done by reviewers. they just pick these cards up on the water tubes and throw them to the other side of the table and then bitch it broke down the next day.

With a heavy big PC that always stands stationary on one SPOT this problem doesn't exist and u can make it as weak and fragile as it gets.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

I don't doubt it can look fantastic in the right setting but in the average Joe Bloggs house. No thanks. You got to think there are a lot of grown men who are married or in a serious relationship buying the Ps5 and on November 12th/19th there is going to be a lot of arguing when Men across world reveal the Ps5 to the Wife/Partner.
"You can piss off if you think that thing is going in the living room" or similar will be echoing around the world.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
There no theory it just a bad design look at the Series S which is more powerful than both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and look how small and compact it is and the the Series X is more powerful yet is smaller in volume than PS5 you guys just really need to call it how you see it instead of coming up with ludacris theory.

gR4BRq1.png

JztTYFW.png

k9sflHk.png
This is a stupid post. The PlayStation 5's GPU will be pushing pixels at 2.23GHz, which will cause it to produce quite a bit of heat and therefore require a robust heating system (which I mention as another reason for its large size in the OP).

The reason that the Series S is so small is because even though it's more powerful than the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox Series X, its APU (CPU and GPU) was manufactured on a smaller node (7nm vs 16nm) than those of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and therefore consumes less power and produces less heat and because its GPU runs at a low clock speed of 1.565 GHz.

Nehezir

Banned
Well, that's one reason. However, I'm sure that accommodation for an external SSD that has its own heatsink is another.
They shouldn't be. SSD's, ESPECIALLY NVME's ought to be extremely small. moreso when you don't bake a ton of fuckin' plastic on it.

They should just make the damn console big so that they can give it proper air cooling FFS.

There is nothing to push, that's how these boxes are designed exactly as what i stated and not your idiotic analogies.

But keep stay ignorant mate, no matter your "i don't agree with it posts, so lets try to ridicule attempts' change how the reality works. There is a reason why there are no open fans, there is no lose ram in those boxes etc because everything needs to be solid to not move and be resistance against movement. That's why in general these boxes are completely covered in plastic which isn't helping the cooling solution even remotely and limits them normally wattage wise ( also size )

Even on PC with shipping pre-builds, most of these boxes ship doa towards the consumer because hardware simple fell out like ram, there is always a massive warning label that points u out to this. Consoles can't have this because kids move these boxes around from one room to another room and with that a lot of people handle these boxes far rougher than most people anticipate like u that thread your plastic cases like a holy object. Hell PC even has this where people just smash shit around and break stuff, people are just idiots and really don't give 2 shits about handling things carefully. This is why u got endless disclaimers that tell u what to do not, to the point of not throwing water on it because some moron tried to do that and sue them for it. ( that's real extreme tho )

The fact that u don't even realize this shit, really showcases your lack of knowledge on this area. Sony will not want to have dead boxes send back within the warranty period.

If this wasn't the case, u would have seen a big fan on the xbox series X on the top in a complete open space much like what u would see on PC and GPU fans for maximum airflow the same goes for PS5. But they can't because they need a layer of plastic protecting the whole thing or else those fans will kill those boxes as people will find ways to destroy them, which limits airflow and results in a bigger box naturally as result or weaker hardware. Hell even nvidia cut on the ram on there GPU simple for the fact they couldn't make the GPU even more bigger as the cooler couldn't handle it. Also a thing.

This is also why watercooling is something u will never find in those boxes, and why AMD radeon's dropped there water blocks on there GPU's because these things would endlessly break through bad handling ) which was even done by reviewers. they just pick these cards up on the water tubes and throw them to the other side of the table and then bitch it broke down the next day.

With a heavy big PC that always stands stationary on one SPOT this problem doesn't exist and u can make it as weak and fragile as it gets.
So here we are 210+ posts into the thread, we've got a bunch of people chiming in with different reasons the PS5 is so big, and there you go not just doubling down but like quadrupling down on your theory that it's intentionally big so kids can't throw it.

At this point I have to believe you're just trolling.

I don't doubt it can look fantastic in the right setting but in the average Joe Bloggs house. No thanks. You got to think there are a lot of grown men who are married or in a serious relationship buying the Ps5 and on November 12th/19th there is going to be a lot of arguing when Men across world reveal the Ps5 to the Wife/Partner.
"You can piss off if you think that thing is going in the living room" or similar will be echoing around the world.

For sure. Sony playing the culture war. Separate the cucks from real man. "I say it goes in the living room so its stays in the living room woman" Just joking...

Last edited:

Kenpachii

So here we are 210+ posts into the thread, we've got a bunch of people chiming in with different reasons the PS5 is so big, and there you go not just doubling down but like quadrupling down on your theory that it's intentionally big so kids can't throw it.

At this point I have to believe you're just trolling.

If i would ship this towards 100 million people that involve kids: ( let's say the price is exactly the same for both products, and the same size also etc )

S3dp2NuCNokhipB6YwdPsG.jpg

or this:

BB11ngWN.img

What would create more work for you with support / rma and replacements as u have to give 2 years of warranty?

See my point on how those boxes gotta be more sturdy as they are moved far more often by a lot of people around a house and therefore cna damage far more easily? let's not forget shipping where boxes like these get thrown around and high end PC's that get shipped mostly arrive doa at the locations becuase straight up hardware like ram are coming lose. That's why u see a thick layer of plastic overing every single part of the hardware that is completely locked in on top of it and no open fans are on that box because it will create lots of broken boxes that have to be repaired. Which increases the size naturally as airflow is worse in general.

All concepts u start to ridicule.

See how fucking dumb your reactions are mate? and u call me a troll. Good luck with that dude. what a joke. Anyway i wasted my time enough on you clowning around. Time to move to actual shit that matters.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I know you wouldn’t say that without proof. Might be time to show some.
He’s wrong (and on my ignore list for being a Sony boy):

Kagey K

Banned
He’s wrong (and on my ignore list for being a Sony boy):

I know he is, which is why I challenged him to back it up.

It’s easy to say things, it’s not so easy to prove them.

Invalid GR

Maybe it's because unlike MS Sony didn't want to leave the "traditional" console form factor design. This could potentially had it's limits regarding cooling and size.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The real reason it's so big is because we can all say

I think the real reason why it's so horrendous big is because the designers got too much freedom.

It already looks outdated, like those weird architect buildings made in the mid 2000's

Three

I know you wouldn’t say that without proof. Might be time to show some.
The main intake is at the back which has no flow in the image. The image is just some nice looking marketing material and not representing the actual airflow.

Kagey K

Banned
The main intake is at the back which has no flow in the image. The image is just some nice looking marketing material and not representing the actual airflow.
Wrong, it’s from the raised platform sucking in air from the bottom.

They are basically using Vape tank cooling. If they were going to suck in from the side they wouldn’t have spilt the motherboard.

same as the PS5.

Last edited:

Three

Wrong, it’s from the raised platform sucking in air from the bottom.

They are basically using Vape tank cooling.

same as the PS5.
What does this mean? Yes it's a fan at the top sucking up air but the main intake holes are at the back
dims

Which according to that image has no airflow.

Kagey K

Banned
What does this mean? Yes it's a fan at the top sucking up air but the main intake holes are at the back
dims

Which according to that image has no airflow.
Most of those holes are plugged and for show, the main air comes up the bottom with secondary air coming from those lower holes.

Three

Most of those holes are plugged and for show, the main air comes up the bottom with secondary air coming from those lower holes.
They're not. Those holes are bigger than the any openings at the bottom. It's up to where the heatsink ends.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
wtf that pic has a optical port! They must have just removed it after making those dummy models cause the pics and specs on the official site don't have it :(

Kagey K

Banned
wtf that pic has a optical port! They must have just removed it after making those dummy models cause the pics and specs on the official site don't have it :(
There is a headphone manufacturer that swears the series X has an optical port.

Going to have to wait and see on this bone of contention.

Three

So basically you can’t see u can’t see under the stand and assume they are all the same?
What, the same as what? The stand blocks flow in any case as does the center motherboard of the console. Air would have to come from the side. The side with the highest flux would be the back intake.

CuNi

No filter on those big intake holes? It's not going to last long...

You realize that a filter not only restricts airflow but also clogs up faster right?
Every sane person should tell you to remove all those dust filters if you want better cooling.

You realize that a filter not only restricts airflow but also clogs up faster right?
Every sane person should tell you to remove all those dust filters if you want better cooling.
I've been dealing with PC cases for over 25 years. I've also seen insides of numerous other electronic devices, including consoles. Most of them have intake holes designed in a way that protects the inside from particles, especially conductive materials which can be very harmful. If those big holes stay as they are in that photo, expect a high failure rate of the device.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
These are fake, but someone had a good idea what it might look like.
Found them on Twitter awhile back.
b42tfJN.jpg

That's a big moving component to stick at the top with mounting bays considering most will have this vertical. Hopefully the power and heatsink will keep the centre of gravity solid, if this is reminiscent of the final design. It's interesting from a design perspective, Microsoft have gone wider with height with their exhaust and Sony have gone tapered.

CuNi

I've been dealing with PC cases for over 25 years. I've also seen insides of numerous other electronic devices, including consoles. Most of them have intake holes designed in a way that protects the inside from particles, especially conductive materials which can be very harmful. If those big holes stay as they are in that photo, expect a high failure rate of the device.

Weird how open case PC cases are all a thing and never posed a real issue. Even weirder how even to this day GPU mining rigs are GPUs mounted on a rack with fans cranked to 100%.
Dust filters are disappearing from the scene. Last time I saw them being relevant was 2014 /2015.
If you have so much dust buildup that your hardware overheats after 2-3 years, then you should change your cleaning schedule as a dust filter clogs up even faster which is why they only work at all if you clean them regularly.

What, the same as what? The stand blocks flow in any case as does the center motherboard of the console. Air would have to come from the side. The side with the highest flux would be the back intake.

It was kinda odd to me that the stand couldn't be removed but somehow the airflow was supposed to flow from the bottom to the top. Kinda obvious that the stand blocks a lot of the airflow, even if acting as a raiser of a few centimeters. They could have tackled that issue 2 ways. 1: as they did with the stand or 2: mirroring the top aka having a concave bottom (but that would present balancing problems - prone to falling and scratching surfaces without some rubber pads and/or stand). Since the bottom is flat and not concave, it requires that stand as a feature (not an option). To me their design team had a big oversight in not figuring out a mechanism to make the stand detachable. They also overlooked the fact that the stand side is ugly when placed horizontally on a TV stand and a big fat eye sore - and it sits on the left of all places. In other words; this console was made to stand vertically, not sit horizontally. Overall the designers should have mirrored the top on the bottom (concave on both with the green holes optical illusion), and found a way to make that stand detachable without impacting the concaveness of the bottom. In short - they mailed-it-in in that regard which results in an obvious design flaw.

Your observation is also right. That bottom stand is blocking most of the airflow holes, and the inner component placement is also blocking airflow coming from the bottom. Your observation is thus correct that most of its airflow is intended to come from the side holes on the ports side of the console. A lot more credit goes to the sink plates design for the boards than the box shape which they botched.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Your observation is also right. That bottom stand is blocking most of the airflow holes, and the inner component placement is also blocking airflow coming from the bottom. Your observation is thus correct that most of its airflow is intended to come from the side holes on the ports side of the console. A lot more credit goes to the sink plates design for the boards than the box shape which they botched.

tenor.gif

Yes, Microsoft totally had to add the extra vent holes on the back at the last moment 🤡

The component placement to funnel air over all critical components is actually just blocking air in a botched design 🤡 🤡

Weird how open case PC cases are all a thing and never posed a real issue. Even weirder how even to this day GPU mining rigs are GPUs mounted on a rack with fans cranked to 100%.
Dust filters are disappearing from the scene. Last time I saw them being relevant was 2014 /2015.
If you have so much dust buildup that your hardware overheats after 2-3 years, then you should change your cleaning schedule as a dust filter clogs up even faster which is why they only work at all if you clean them regularly.
Comparing PC mining racks and consoles is a weird idea. Different target customers and very different treatment those two kinds of devices get.

FeiRR

Banned
I guess that's the muck-up case that the youtubers got to play with some time ago?
It would imagine filters are in place for the real unit.
Those mockups have no insides, also ports are blocked with plastic flaps. I don't know what this photo shows but I doubt it's the final design. Without metal shielding, those components must be way over the EM limits in EU to pass certification.

Yes, Microsoft totally had to add the extra vent holes on the back at the last moment 🤡

The component placement to funnel air over all critical components is actually just blocking air in a botched design 🤡 🤡

I did not say the first bold... that's a poor strawman to troll and ridicule. So that clown face does apply to it but not for what you think.

The components/sink plate/board placement can only go one direction given the rectangular dimensions of the boards - as such, from the bottom holes a lot of the airflow is impeded by the stand, and a signifcant portion is trapped and deviates from where it should go - that's well over half of the box. The positive to alleviate that are the holes on the port side as T Three pointed out. And the sink plates for the boards also obviously help. The little video mock ups they showed are marketing fluff in that regard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom