• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theory: Why The PlayStation 5 Is So Large

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s for all the equipment needed to keep the orphans heart alive that powers the secret sauce.

oldergamer

imo I think sony is going to have to offer custom mem expansion nvme drives and using off the shelf parts won't be allowed. Think about it. What pc memory maker is going to make a 7GB bandwidth with 825GB of memory. keeping in mind it needs to be the same size as what they have internally. Also, Sony made a custom controller for that memory, any off the shelf part needs to bypass it.

I find it strange that sony started selling consoles and haven't mentioned memory upgrades yet. They also haven't even shown where that memory will be used on the final console design.

IMO sony was forced to have the console that size due to the size and number of the chips on the mobo ( CPU, GPU, Audio, and RAM, and SSD ). 12 lanes to memory chips for the onboard SSD is going to take up some space and force considerations.

Last edited:

alstrike

You got that hilariously backwards bub.

source.gif

"Simple and conventional" 🤡

Apple did that in 2013

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony deserves a pat on the back for the sexy design they were asked about the cooling and it’s been corrected.

Apple did that in 2013

That's because it's a clever and simple design: hot hair moves upwards, so it makes sense perfect sense to cool all components with one single air flow.

And as I said, it's a clearly superior design. Sony wanted to keep the "traditional" console layout while still having a big, power hungry box.

yo PS5 so fat when she died she broke the stairway to heave.
Yo PS5 so fat, she fell in love and broke it.
Yo PS5 is so fat, when she sat on the back of the bus it did a wheelie.
Yo PS5 is so fat, the only way to get her out of a telephone booth is to grease her thighs and throw a Twinkie in the street.
Yo PS5 is so fat, she tripped over Wal-Mart, stumbled over K-Mart, and landed on Target.
Yo PS5 is so fat she can't even jump to a conclusion.
Yo PS5 is so fat she doesn't need the internet, because she's already world wide.
Yo PS5 is so fat when I told her to touch her toes she said, "What are those"?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
imo I think sony is going to have to offer custom mem expansion nvme drives and using off the shelf parts won't be allowed. Think about it. What pc memory maker is going to make a 7GB bandwidth with 825GB of memory. keeping in mind it needs to be the same size as what they have internally. Also, Sony made a custom controller for that memory, any off the shelf part needs to bypass it.

I find it strange that sony started selling consoles and haven't mentioned memory upgrades yet. They also haven't even shown where that memory will be used on the final console design.

IMO sony was forced to have the console that size due to the size and number of the chips on the mobo ( CPU, GPU, Audio, and RAM, and SSD ). 12 lanes to memory chips for the onboard SSD is going to take up some space and force considerations.

Third-party NVME SSDs won't have the same number of channels and priority levels as the PS5's internal SSD and therefore won't have to have a capacity that's proportional to 825GB. They simply need to be faster than the PS5's internal SSD in order to compensate for their lower number of channels and priority levels.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
An NVME SSD that can read and write data at 7GB/s produces a lot of heat and will therefore need a heatsink, which will require space.
meh.
I am running one and it's 43c under gpu... It;s some heat but it does not need thermalright macho on it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is yours capable of reading and/ or writing data at 7GB/s? How fast is it?
no. I just use nvme3 on pcie 4.0 That'sa round 3,5 and it makes no difference on pc whatsoever above normal 500mb ssd.
But 4.0 nvme drives are sold and heatsinks are not that big. my drive has NO heatsink at all and its fine

Last edited:

alstrike

That's because it's a clever and simple design: hot hair moves upwards, so it makes sense perfect sense to cool all components with one single air flow.

And as I said, it's a clearly superior design. Sony wanted to keep the "traditional" console layout while still having a big, power hungry box.

We still don't know how many watts the PS5 and XSX draw from the wall.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
no. I just use nvme3 on pcie 4.0 That'sa round 3,5 and it makes no difference on pc whatsoever above normal 500mb ssd.
But 4.0 nvme drives are sold and heatsinks are not that big. my drive has NO heatsink at all and its fine

Then you can't use your experience as a basis to say that the SSDs that meet the PS5's required speed of 7GB's won't need heatsinks. 7GB/s is significantly faster than 3GB/s and 5GB/s and therefore produces significantly more heat. A lack of a heatsink would cause such an SSD to throttle.

Donarudo

Yo PS5 is so fat, the only way to get her out of a telephone booth is to grease her thighs and throw a Twinkie in the street.
Yo PS5 is so fat, she tripped over Wal-Mart, stumbled over K-Mart, and landed on Target.
Yo PS5 is so fat she doesn't need the internet, because she's already world wide.

While the PS5 has a much larger volume than the XSX, they both weigh almost the same.
PS5: 4.5kg (9.92 pounds)
XSX: 4.45kg (9.8 pounds)

borborygmus

If we're riffing on memes, I'll put forward "How is Sonny formed?"

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Xbox One was big because of ventilation, and PS5 is probably the same thing. It's not really a big deal (figure of speech). Chances are that they will do the same rout as XOne revisions, being smaller every time they do a new one

Plus, PS5 digital basically kept the same size just to show that is the same thing, but without the disc thing. Microsoft is not doing this, so they changed everything with the versions. It was the best move from both

iHaunter

It's that size because of the lavish liquid cooling system so the hardware can have stable OC without ruining the temps. They already explained it in Cerny's walkthrough.

Iamborghini

PC are big right?
The new consoles are more like a desktop PC now (cpu, gpu ...) so it’s normal for the PS5 to be that big.

The Series X is small because it has a more efficient airflow, otherwise it would be as big as the PS5.

Does the PS5 have an SSD expansion slot, or do you have to replace the internal?

Anyway I think it’s that big to stop it screaming like a banshee. Though I’m still expecting it to whine like a bitch.

PS5's GPU TDP is probably right about 160 watts, which is impressive when you compare it to the closest PC card equivalent on the market, the 5700 XT, and it's TDP (this is also me assuming both PS5 and Series X are 7nm DUV enhanced, not EUV). The APU TDP of PS5 is lower than the 5700 XT's TDP by about 35 or so watts, from my estimates/guesses.

Thing is, considering it's a smaller chip and has a high GPU clock, that's a lot of heat being built up over a small die footprint. Making the system larger to help with heat dissipation and spread is one way of dealing with that. That's probably the main reason for its size; need for various NVMe drives of high speeds as expansion is a secondary reason, but not the main one (also no matter how fast those drives are, they aren't producing as much heat as even GDDR6 modules, which last I checked are about 1 watt - 1.5 watts per chip, depending on some factors).

cormack12

Gold Member
Does the PS5 have an SSD expansion slot, or do you have to replace the internal?

You can use external SSD as normal but if you want to use it for PS5 games, it needs to be an internal drive. It's not been clarified whether you need to replace the 825GB drive with a larger one, or there is a secondary slot to have a complementary drive (iirc)

There was a rumour going round that the PS5 actually ships a PS5 slim inside as well. So in a few years they say just break off the shell and free upgrades for everyone.

Pallas

Gold Member
Like others, I’m assuming the massive size is for the cooling system since those clocks will be running high.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'd just like to point out the obvious that XSX is also based on the same RDNA2 so everything you're saying applies to it also.

And with that being the case people are right to be concerned because the MS solution is so much better here so what else is wrong with PS5s hardware design? Why is it seemingly so inferior comparison? At the end of the day why is it nearly twice as big and still 25% less powerful?

And the XSX is a blocky ass Minecraft looking chunky boi.

It’s not slim like the much lower CU/clock XSS which is a more traditional look.

RaySoft

While the PS5 has a much larger volume than the XSX, they both weigh almost the same.
PS5: 4.5kg (9.92 pounds)
XSX: 4.45kg (9.8 pounds)
I'm not sure if the volume is any larger really. Only way to find out is to make some waterproof replicas and submerge them in water.

Last edited:

oldergamer

You can use external SSD as normal but if you want to use it for PS5 games, it needs to be an internal drive. It's not been clarified whether you need to replace the 825GB drive with a larger one, or there is a secondary slot to have a complementary drive (iirc)

There was a rumour going round that the PS5 actually ships a PS5 slim inside as well. So in a few years they say just break off the shell and free upgrades for everyone.
Thats a pretty dumb rumor. It makes no sense. The NVME sony is using is built into the motherboard and they can't use a larger drive. It has to use 12 lanes otherwise it won't get the same performance.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Anyway I think it’s that big to stop it screaming like a banshee. Though I’m still expecting it to whine like a bitch.

It does have an expansion slot for an NVMe drive that will add to the existing 825 GB as per Cerny. This suggests that it can't be replaced like the built-in XSX drive.
And the XSX is a blocky ass Minecraft looking chunky boi.

It’s not slim like the much lower CU/clock XSS which is a more traditional look.
That's a good point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The internal is soldered to the board right near the APU that houses the I/O. There is an expansion bay, it was shown when they did the full view all around the console recently.

Same in the XSX, but one uses a proprietary bay (Hello Vita my old friend:messenger_musical:) and the other will have certified third party options. Like the already cheaper (and faster than the XSX) 980.

PS4 Pro could too, like I said, the higher the resolution, the more memory is required. And X1X has 64% more available to games than Pro. There's a GPU-heavy scene (cutscene) in RDR2 where X1X drops frame-rate much more than PS4 Pro suggesting that Pro isn't pushed as harder as the One X in terms of resolution.

Graphics are identical across both Pro/X1X aside from minor SSAO intensity difference.
bzoiVGE.png
Of course if you dropped the frame rate to 5fps the Ps4pro could have done it too. Still this isn’t 64% more pixels it is 100% more pixels.

Md Ray

Of course if you dropped the frame rate to 5fps the Ps4pro could have done it too. Still this isn’t 64% more pixels it is 100% more pixels.
Definitely it could have done at 1728p-1800p. Higher resolution consumes more video memory and bandwidth. And these are known bottlenecks of PS4 Pro. Memory also comes into play when it comes to res, it's not just computational power of the GPU. There's a GPU-heavy scene (cutscene) in RDR2 where X1X drops frame-rate much more than PS4 Pro suggesting that Pro isn't pushed as harder as the One X in terms of resolution.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
The internal is soldered to the board right near the APU that houses the I/O. There is an expansion bay, it was shown when they did the full view all around the console recently.

It does have an expansion slot for an NVMe drive that will add to the existing 825 GB as per Cerny. This suggests that it can't be replaced like the built-in XSX drive.

Sweet, must have missed that. Won;t need one for a while anyway, but I'll prefer not having to replace the original

Top Bottom