• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theory: Why The PlayStation 5 Is So Large

Md Ray

People on Neogaf screamed for big expensive powerful give-it-to-me-all consoles and they got that. The Xbox Series X is a small PC case in disguise and the PS5 is a spaceship and both are flaunting amazing hardware not thought possible 2-3 years ago.
Yep, the biggest surprise for me personally was the inclusion of PCIe-based SSD - Gen 4.0, no less. I knew they were definitely going with SSD this time around but expected both consoles to be SATA-based. Sony's solution was the most surprising.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Yep, the biggest surprise for me personally was the inclusion of PCIe-based SSD - Gen 4.0, no less. I knew they were definitely going with SSD this time around but expected both consoles to be SATA-based. Sony's solution was the most surprising.
Both consoles are pcie 4.0 even that proprietary expandable storage card

You wanna know something goofy the internal drive on the ps4 goes from Sata to usb before reaching the southbridge.

As for ps5 size they simply fucked up the design. It's basically the inverse of last generation the xbox one was massive to ensure proper cooling and was not a refined design it's why the xbox one S is much much smaller after the redesign vs the PS4 redesign which was similarly sized. You can see hints of the PS5 design being unrefined the fact that the disc less version has the same dimensions. My guess is the PS5 had late design changes because they underestimated the CU they would need and had to pivot to heavily overclocking to have hardware specs competitive to xbox so they had to add more heatsinks into the box to keep it from throttling.

Last edited:

Ellery

True the SSD that is way faster than I expected it to be. At best I thought it could be a SSD HDD hybrid system, but that they actually included an SSD faster than that of my 2019 NVME SSD is insane.
Also 10.2 and 12 RDNA 2 TF are amazing. A few years ago I expected 8-10 GCN TF, but RDNA2 performance completely shits on that. And the CPU is a huge step up as well.

Many people that don't expect next gen (XSX/PS5) games to look good will change their minds in 2-4 years. I think Demon's Souls is an early taste of what is to come and once we are further in the cycle and the exclusive studios start sharing their work it will be jaws on the floor.

Kumomeme

im guessing is due to cooling solution (probably their custom double side cooling fans solution)+to give more room

I think the only reason its big is because of the high clocks its gpu runs at. The whole system needs a very good cooling system keeping in mind the fact that it runs at highest power it can draw (constant power draw), iirc.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Absolutely disgraceful criticism. PlayStation's design is complex and novel, while Xbox's is simple and conventional.

You got that hilariously backwards bub.

source.gif

"Simple and conventional" 🤡

Last edited:

Md Ray

I'd just like to point out the obvious that XSX is also based on the same RDNA2 so everything you're saying applies to it also.

why is it nearly twice as big and still 25% less powerful?
*-20% less powerful on paper (in terms of bandwidth) than SX. PS4 Pro and X1X had an even larger difference in specs than PS5/XSX have. One X had 43% computational power and 50% mem bandwidth advantage.

He means that the XSX has a better CPU and a better GPU at locked clock speeds.
I wouldn't say "better CPU". Games will be utilizing SMT heavily moving forward (and we know Dirt 5 already does), so the difference between PS5/XSX in regards to CPU with SMT is like 3%.

Biggest surprise for me was a console releasing in 2020 having a 12.2 TF RDNA2 GPU.
An even bigger surprise for me was to see 30-36 TF GPU releasing for PC before 10.3-12.2 TF consoles.

Both consoles are pcie 4.0 even that proprietary expandable storage card

You wanna know something goofy the internal drive on the ps4 goes from Sata to usb before reaching the southbridge.
Yep, both are Gen 4-based, but SX uses x2 lanes supposedly? PS5 uses x4 lanes. Also knew about the PS4's internal drive solution going to USB. The SATA on base PS4 was not even SATA 3, it was SATA 2 apparently. To cut costs, I guess? This is why it surprised me the most when they went with PCIe Gen 4.

Last edited:
*-20% less powerful on paper (in terms of bandwidth) than SX. PS4 Pro and X1X had an even larger difference in specs than PS5/XSX have. One X had 43% computational power and 50% mem bandwidth advantage.

I wouldn't say "better CPU". Games will be utilizing SMT heavily moving forward (and we know Dirt 5 already does), so the difference between PS5/XSX in regards to CPU with SMT is like 3%.

An even bigger surprise for me was to see 30-36 TF GPU releasing for PC before 10.3-12.2 TF consoles.

Yep, both are Gen 4-based, but SX uses x2 lanes supposedly? PS5 uses x4 lanes. Also knew about the PS4's internal drive solution going to USB. The SATA on base PS4 was not even SATA 3, it was SATA 2 apparently. To cut costs, I guess? This is why it surprised me the most when they went with PCIe Gen 4.
Your percentages are meaningless when talking about a console that uses variable clock speeds. This reminds me people’s surprise when the Xbox one x version of RDR2 pushed double the pixels of the ps4 pro. Bububut ,the percentages....

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
It's just a square prism with a huge fan at its top. There's nothing complex about this design.
You mean other than needing to make everything fit in a way that allows air to pass over everything to keep it cool? But do inform us of all those other consoles that exist that use the same split board config of the Xsx. As opposed to just another flat pcb blower design in an extremely spacious box.

The hardware engineering of the xsx far exceeds that of the PS5. Its significantly smaller, its more powerful and uses less power than the PS5.

Md Ray

True the SSD that is way faster than I expected it to be. At best I thought it could be a SSD HDD hybrid system, but that they actually included an SSD faster than that of my 2019 NVME SSD is insane.
Also 10.2 and 12 RDNA 2 TF are amazing. A few years ago I expected 8-10 GCN TF, but RDNA2 performance completely shits on that. And the CPU is a huge step up as well.

Many people that don't expect next gen (XSX/PS5) games to look good will change their minds in 2-4 years. I think Demon's Souls is an early taste of what is to come and once we are further in the cycle and the exclusive studios start sharing their work it will be jaws on the floor.
Definitely. Tbh, I think even Demon's Souls visuals are gonna pale in comparison to Naughty Dog, Rockstar's full next-gen games in 2-3 years. :messenger_beaming:

CPU was/is one of the biggest hurdles for current-gen games, I can't wait for devs to drop XB1/PS4 support and show us the full capability of Zen 2 in a year or two from now. Very excited.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Your percentages are meaningless when talking about a console that uses variable clock speeds. This reminds me people’s surprise when the Xbox one x version of RDR2 pushed double the pixels of the ps4 pro. Bububut ,the percentages....
RDR2 is an exception and very memory intensive as well at higher resolutions. X1X also had 64% more RAM available to it for games than PS4 Pro (5.5GB vs 9GB). PS5/XSX both have the same amount of RAM.

Last edited:

Md Ray

You can see hints of the PS5 design being unrefined the fact that the disc less version has the same dimensions.
The dimensions are the same to simply keep both of them consistent in their design.

My guess is the PS5 had late design changes because they underestimated the CU they would need and had to pivot to heavily overclocking to have hardware specs competitive to xbox so they had to add more heatsinks into the box to keep it from throttling.
1. They're not overclocking as we are seeing a 40 CU RDNA 2 GPU is hitting up to 2.5 GHz.
2. They're also not throttling the clock speed based on the silicon temperature. Watch 'Road to PS5' and you'll know.

More volume = better thermals = less noise.
The PS4 and PS4 Pro were both very small consoles. Even with their comparatively tiny TDPs they got loud as fuck. Sony seemed cognisant of that fact so they made the console larger so that it doesn't get as loud.

Its like the og Xbox One which was massive so that it stayed cool and quiet.

RDR2 is an exception and very memory intensive as well at higher resolutions. X1X also had 64% more RAM available to it for games than PS4 Pro (5.5GB vs 9GB). PS5/XSX both have the same amount of RAM.
Still pushed 100% more pixels, with better graphics on top of that. I could mention more games, just chose the most obvious one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nah, it's gonna be limited to a few very specific SSD form factors. The reason for the size is simply the high GPU clock, which needs a lot of cooling. Trying to do that in too small a space would mean a very loud console, which they are trying to avoid this time.

Md Ray

Still pushed 100% more pixels, with better graphics on top of that. I could mention more games, just chose the most obvious one.
PS4 Pro could too, like I said, the higher the resolution, the more memory is required. And X1X has 64% more available to games than Pro. There's a GPU-heavy scene (cutscene) in RDR2 where X1X drops frame-rate much more than PS4 Pro suggesting that Pro isn't pushed as harder as the One X in terms of resolution.

Graphics are identical across both Pro/X1X aside from minor SSAO intensity difference.
bzoiVGE.png

Last edited:

jonnyp

No, it's large because it needs to cater for larger heat generation and their stated goal of making it quieter at the same time. More vent area is needed both for increased air flow but also to reduce noise.

John2290

It's the flaps that bother me, when I seen it first i loved it but after realizing how big it is and how thick that central box is I'd really prefer if they came out with a flap less version for people who aren't stupid enough to block the air intake or exhaust. I there is a way, i'll be ripping those flaps off, spray painting a small 2x4 and platforming it ontop just slightly raised off of my TV stands shelf. i have a vent in the wall under my stand for the summer which when opened causes a circulation of air to the vent above it on the opposite wall so I'm in no need of these damn ugly ass flaps that bring the form factor to a ridiculous proportion.

That said, I gotta wonder what a slim version of this console will look like if we get one at all and not a PRO which might end up being so big you'll have to design your house around it.

It's bigger and less practical because their design and engineering team is inferior to MS'.

And before you dig out the 360's fiasco: that was a different management and a different engineering team.

Microsoft has now some of the best industrial designs out there, just look at the Surface line up.

And most recently the Surface Duo, which - old cpu aside - got praised everywhere for its wonderful design and build quality.

Look is another matter: you could like or not. I don't care, since they're just boxes that get hidden away in a cabinet or somewhere else in my setup.

Last edited:

RaySoft

He means that the XSX has a better CPU and a better GPU at locked clock speeds.
I highly doubt any devs using the GDK can squeeze out >90% of the Series X max theoretical power. (maybe even less before the GDK evolves over time)
So having a slightly more powerfull APU on paper doesn't mean much when that edge is wasted due to various overhead a universal SDK are bound to impose.
Sony's PS5 version of the low-level GNM API, wich is specifically written for one single target, will make the PS5 be able to reach closer to it's theoretical peak.
It would be really interesting to get hold of some profiling data from both consoles in the future.

It's the Cooling for the GPU that makes it a lot more bigger. Also bigger cooling = less noise and everything has to be covered up tight so no open fans anywhere because idiots will throw these boxes around like its nothing.
They also made it heavy so that people can't throw it around.

The PS5 is so heavy that it will be sold in furniture stores, because they have the capabilities of delivering them.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Once we remove the goofy body flairs and calculate the internal volume of the One X and the PS5 I'm not expecting much difference. If I were the one making this thread I would have put those numbers in the first post.

Top Bottom