• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is no Xbox 'Series S'

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Came here to see the flock of crows that need to be eaten

I guess dude already got tagged so lol

Compsiox

Banned
I'm guilty of believing this as well. I don't think it was too hard to believe only a month ago that it may have been cancelled or whatever. Things are different though I guess and launches are more akin to those of Apple products. Announcements super close to launch.

Crownjo

Series_S_Clown.png

Last edited:

Shmunter

I'm guilty of believing this as well. I don't think it was too hard to believe only a month ago that it may have been cancelled or whatever. Things are different though I guess and launches are more akin to those of Apple products. Announcements super close to launch.
If they did a disc less Series X at $399, it wouldn’t be a problem. Now next gen will be 4tf focused. Shit state of affairs.

Stuart360

If they did a disc less Series X at $399, it wouldn’t be a problem. Now next gen will be 4tf focused. Shit state of affairs.
Oh not this shit again. The XSS at 1080p probably has more horsepower than both XSX and PS5 at 4k.
In fact i'll even make a prediciton here, there will be the odd Digital Foundry comparisons where the XSS actually has a slightly more consistent framerate in some games than either XSX or PS5. Only the odd game, but i'll bet it happens.

Jon Neu

Banned
Oh not this shit again. The XSS at 1080p probably has more horsepower than both XSX and PS5 at 4k.
In fact i'll even make a prediciton here, there will be the odd Digital Foundry comparisons where the XSS actually has a slightly more consistent framerate in some games than either XSX or PS5. Only the odd game, but i'll bet it happens.

Well, the Series S has a stronger CPU than the PS5, so I don't think it's going to be that odd.

Shmunter

So you dismiss the idea of XsX becoming a simple upscale machine for games designed around Xss? The old scalability argument from pc.

Last edited:

Stuart360

So you dismiss the idea of XsX becoming a simple upscale machine for games designed around XsX? The old scalability argument from pc.
The S is designed to run XSX game at 1080p, hense why its the same components except weaker gpu, and a bit less ram, as you dont need as much ram for 1080p as you do 4k.
Fact is you need roughly 3.5-4x the horsepower for 4k over 1080p, that just the way it is. So XSS at 1080p would have more horepower than XSX and PS5 at 4k, considerably more as well.
People talking about devs targeting the XSS all gen like its a bad thing, well if devs DID do that, you would see the games having dynamic 4k, or even lower resolutions like 1800p and 1620p on XSX and PS5.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The S is designed to run XSX game at 1080p, hense why its the same components except wealer gpu, and a bit less ram, as you dont need as much ram for 1080p as you do 4k.
Fact is you need roughly 3.5-4x the horsepower for 4k over 1080p, that just the way it is. So XSS at 1080p would have more horepower than XSX and PS5 at 4k, considerably more as well.
People talking about devs targeting the XSS all gen like its a bad thing, well if devs DID do that, you would see the games having dynamic 4k, or even lower resolutions like 1800p and 1620p on XSX and PS5.
There is a new philosophy focused around deploying gpu power for pixel quality, not just resolution. This is the problem, that approach no longer becomes a focus with a 1080p machine vs a 4k machine.

For example; If you had nothing but an XsX GPU standard, you could focus on a 1440p/60 game with blazing effects, reconstructed to 4k. With a 1080p machine the above becomes a difficult proposition. A dev, where time is key, will simply err on creating a 1080p/60 game for XsS and then simply slapping it onto the XsX leaving it to brute force it to 4k/60 or 1080p/120 as an example. No longer exploring pixel quality achievable by clever use of the 12tf. Doesn’t this sound like a likely -or- at least a possible scenario under the circumstances?

Stuart360

There is a new philosophy focused around deploying gpu power for pixel quality, not just resolution. This is the problem, that approach no longer becomes a focus with a 1080p machine vs a 4k machine.

For example; If you had nothing but an XsX GPU standard, you could focus on a 1440p/60 game with blazing effects, reconstructed to 4k. With a 1080p machine the above becomes a difficult proposition. A dev, where time is key, will simply err on creating a 1080p/60 game for XsS and then simply slapping it onto the XsX leaving it to brute force it to 4k/60 or 1080p/120 as an example. No longer exploring pixel quality achievable by clever use of the 12tf. Doesn’t this sound like a likely -or- at least a possible scenario under the circumstances?
No. The multiplatform games will be the same on XSS, XSX, and PS5, with the XSS version being 1080p, and the XSX/PS5 versions being 4k, or close to it.

Shmunter

No. The multiplatform games will be the same on XSS, XSX, and PS5, with the XSS version being 1080p, and the XSX/PS5 versions being 4k, or close to it.
Did you see the Ue5 demo on PS5 being 1440p/30 and the Nvidia marble demo on the 3090 also 1440p/30?

The GPU power was not spent on 4k, it was deployed for other reasons than pure resolution.

But yes, you’re right. With the XsS a reality, it will likely be as you say. Which means, poor & lazy use of compute; upscaling.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Did you see the Ue5 demo on PS5 being 1440p/30 and the Nvidia marble demo on the 3090 also 1440p/30?

The GPU power was not spent on 4k, it was deployed for other reasons than pure resolution.
Tech demo's designed to show off the engine and tech. There arent going to be many next gen games at 1440p, outside of heavily ray traced ones, and even then i wouldnt expect devs to target that low rez on XSX and PS5.
Look we will know soon enough what is right.

makaveli60

I really don't get why pc and xbox gamers can't understand this...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

As important as when that happened for PS4 Pro vs XOX ;).

jose4gg

And now everyone can realize how badly MS is making names...

One of their great fans wasn't able to capture the meaning of their latest game console...

It happens...

Top Bottom