• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's Now an E3 Press Conference For The PC, Hosted By Day9 [Up: More Devs]

Theonik

If not them then who? It isn't like there is only a single company on stage.

Valve could potentially do it, but they hate E3...
I mean, personally I never understood the need for it and evidently many of the major players on the PC space don't either. From an exhibitor's standpoint it is about showcasing your products and PC, as a platform is not a single product to showcase, which is simultaneously a big part of the whole appeal. Which to me makes the whole gesture very odd.

Myggen

If not them then who? It isn't like there is only a single company on stage.

Valve could potentially do it, but they hate E3...

I dunno, but my point is that regardless if feels really weird to me that a site like PC Gamer is hosting a hype event. But whatever, I guess.

tuxfool

Banned
I mean, personally I never understood the need for it and evidently many of the major players on the PC space don't either. From an exhibitor's standpoint it is about showcasing your products and PC, as a platform is not a single product to showcase, which is simultaneously a big part of the whole appeal. Which to me makes the whole gesture very odd.

TBH the whole reason for E3 has sort of become nebulous. But a reason for having a presentation is that a lot of eyeballs are present on E3 news, so if one wants to ride the wave of publicity for PC based games then E3 is the time to do it.

tuxfool

Banned
I dunno, but my point is that regardless if feels really weird to me that a site like PC Gamer is hosting a hype event. But whatever, I guess.

I mean, it isn't any different than having a site like Gamespot inviting developers onto their stage to show off their games.

Halabane

Kind of odd that Microsoft is shepherding this. Seems it would be in their interest. Maybe they think it conflicts with their xbox stuff, though why not just split it in two? Better than having to have a magazine host it.

Theonik

Can I run my own conference at E3?
I'm sure you can if you pay for it! In fact, the major conferences MS/Sony etc etc are not actually part of E3 but are organised entirely by the exhibitors!

TBH the whole reason for E3 has sort of become nebulous. But a reason for having a presentation is that a lot of eyeballs are present on E3 news, so if one wants to ride the wave of publicity for PC based games then E3 is the time to do it.
I mean I kinda get what they are going for but it just sounds wrong to me.

Nzyme32

Man, it's fucking weird that PC Gamer as a journalistic outlet is hosting something like this. Have some fucking integrity and at least try to pretend that you're not just the PR arm of publishers. Editorial probably has nothing to do with this, but it still feels really weird.

This is something I am actually concerned about. I really think such a PC showing should represent the wealth of amazing content on the way from all sizes of developers, genres and niches. Whether PC gamer will do that is obviously to be seen, although it should be noted that the list of companies on board is not final, with "more announcements to come"

Philippo

Hey guys, i'll be holding my own conference, be sure to check it out!
It's in the parking lot
right next to Ouya's

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
HEART MACHINE - Hyper Light Drifter stuff
PARADOX INTERACTIVE - Magicka 2?
SQUARE ENIX - Kingdom Hearts PC Ports! (Probably Just Cause 3 or something small)
TRIPWIRE INTERACTIVE - Killing Floor 2
Some predictions/context/guesses
Yes, please. I'd like to play these.
GTHnaF7.gif

hitsugi

Good to see Heart Machine will be there. Hopefully the version of Hyper Light Drifter they decide to show this year won't be a complete disaster like the Vita one (which was nowhere near ready for the public) was last year.

Momentary

Banned
I thought there was talk of Valve being at this year's E3?

Good to see Heart Machine will be there. Hopefully the version of Hyper Light Drifter they decide to show this year won't be a complete disaster like the Vita one (which was nowhere near ready for the public) was last year.

I'm not even excited for this game anymore and I threw then 75 bones back in the day. 30 FPS, delays, recent hiring of staff crucial to game development has really just snuffed out the flame I had for this game.

hitsugi

I thought there was talk of Valve being at this year's E3?

I'm not even excited for this game anymore and I threw then 75 bones back in the day. 30 FPS, delays, recent hiring of staff crucial to game development has really just snuffed out the flame I had for this game.

It has been difficult to maintain hype for the game - I'll admit that. The updates (while somewhat "frequent") are very small and as you pointed out the recent hiring has led people to question how well things are being handled.

I still have faith in the team to get it done, and was fairly impressed with the demo they released last year (although it had less functionality than a different PC demo showcased even earlier).

This is one of those things where the project took off to unbelievable heights, and there is a lot of pressure to get it right despite it being out of the scope of anything they've ever worked on. I HOPE the game releases by winter, but we'll see. If there isn't significant progress demonstrated or at least discussed at E3, we'll know it's probably going into 2017.

Also I think Valve doesn't want to take the responsibility of hosting an E3 conference because there would be pressure on them to announce something every year.

Nzyme32

Having just checked out "PC Gamer Show" on PC Gamers youtube channel - if the event is going to resemble the youtube vids show, I do not have much confidence in it

patapuf

This is something I am actually concerned about. I really think such a PC showing should represent the wealth of amazing content on the way from all sizes of developers, genres and niches. Whether PC gamer will do that is obviously to be seen, although it should be noted that the list of companies on board is not final, with "more announcements to come"

with devolver, paradox and humble there i wouldn't worry about the small guys or variety suffering.

I've been going to E3 since 96' and this is the first time something like this has happened where PC game releases have been championed. Most of the time the platform is simply ASSUMED to be there without any fan fare.

Hopefully this will lead to more developers creating cross platform console only titles for the PC (Red Dead STILL ain't on PC...and yes, I understand why)

Perfect time for me to sell my PS4 and build my Windows 10 / Star Citizen box.

Star Citizen needs more props.

Lingitiz

More participants:

ArenaNet (Heart of Thorns)
CCP Games (no idea, Valkyrie maybe)
Creative Assembly (TW Warhammer)
Fullbright (Tacoma)
Frictional Games (SOMA)
Frontier (more Elite, I guess)
Nexon (no idea, but with Splash Damage being there, maybe Dirty Bomb)
Pixel Titans (STRAFE)
SCS Games (American Truck Simulator, maybe?)
Splash Damage (Dirty Bomb)

http://www.pcgamer.com/more-developers-announced-for-the-pc-gaming-show-at-e3/
CA and Frictional? Well I just got way more hyped for this thing.

That's too late for me. I can handle Sonys because it's not as long, but another one the night after would be tough. I'll keep an eye out for what gets announced though.

ekim

More participants:

ArenaNet (Heart of Thorns)
CCP Games (no idea, Valkyrie maybe)
Creative Assembly (TW Warhammer)
Fullbright (Tacoma)
Frictional Games (SOMA)
Frontier (more Elite, I guess, or Coaster Park Tycoon)
Nexon (no idea, but with Splash Damage being there, maybe Dirty Bomb)
Pixel Titans (STRAFE)
SCS Games (American Truck Simulator, maybe?)
Splash Damage (Dirty Bomb)

http://www.pcgamer.com/more-developers-announced-for-the-pc-gaming-show-at-e3/

This shaping up to something great. I just hope every attendant/game gets enough time.

Kinsei

Banned
This is really cool, but I'm not a fan of having a youtuber/streamer host it. Did we learn nothing from Tobuscus at the Ubisoft conference a few years ago?

Top Bottom