• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Party Wii Games

Mael

farnham said:
This..!!! Soul Calibur 2 on GC sold more then the PS2 version... I get SC 3 being on PS2 only because of some exclusivity deal and SC4 being on HD only because its an HD game.. but SC PSP ??? why didnt they throw in Link again and make millions of it..? (Guess Nintendo said fuck it this time around)

You're hopping for some efforts on the parts of 3rd parties?
I mean the Conduit was the 1rst 3rd party game with WiiSpeak because they were apparently the only to have talked to Nintendo about that.
I mean if High Voltage Software can contact Nintendo to get a feature in, what's stopping Treyarch from doing the same?
I mean at some point we'll have CoD with voice chat on DS before the Wii!
I know nspace is dedicated and awesome at what they do but come on now.

Fredescu

jrricky said:
Is pachter still here?

If he is, what do you think of Ubisoft, Namco and EAs reasoning of putting Assasins Creed, Soul Calibur, Dante's Inferno, and Army Of Two on the PSP and not Wii?

This alone makes me go !Que!
If I were to guess, I'd say it would be to do with Sony's very active courting of publishers to develop PSP titles, and Nintendo's complete lack of same.

Mael

Fredescu said:
If I were to guess, I'd say it would be to do with Sony's very active courting of publishers to develop PSP titles, and Nintendo's complete lack of same.

to be fair, nobody's really missing anything if this is the games we should have had,
I mean for all intents and purposes AC on psp is looking like a bad game,
Army of 2 is like a parody of dudebro, heck they even managed to fuck Soul Calibur!
I don't think any of theses game, had they been made for the Wii from the ground up, would have turned out better AND fared better.

I mean I was pretty much a Wii only owner till my gaf activation
(not related, just got it for bday, thanks gaf btw)
and I NEVER thought that the games that failed did so unfairly
bar crystal bearers, not out here yet and Blast Works but Eidos fucked that one
I mean as far as Wii games go, most 3rd party efforts aren't even as good as WiiSports and WiiPlay.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Mael said:
You're hopping for some efforts on the parts of 3rd parties?
I mean the Conduit was the 1rst 3rd party game with WiiSpeak because they were apparently the only to have talked to Nintendo about that.
I mean if High Voltage Software can contact Nintendo to get a feature in, what's stopping Treyarch from doing the same?
I mean at some point we'll have CoD with voice chat on DS before the Wii!
I know nspace is dedicated and awesome at what they do but come on now.
WELL...
the problem here is that not even nintendo has standarized their support for online.
No wii speak in excitebots. no leaderboards for punchout. no wii console code exporting like mario kart.

Nintendo's online would not be so crappy if it there were standards that they enforce and follow. wii console friend exporting should have been standarized a long time ago. pretty much eliminating the friend code problem.

iamblades

The problem is that third parties learned the wrong lesson from the RE games.

RE 4 wii edition came out, and sold great, showing there is a market for a deep quality mature title with a big brand name. So what do they do to capitalize on that market?

They release a dumbed down patronizing lightgun game, because apparently wii owners are too stupid to use an analog stick to move around. However, because of the success of RE 4 and how great of a game it is, it manages to still sell very well.

Third parties took this as a sign that the key to success was releasing really hardcore mature IPs with dumbed down casual controls.

Needless to say, because the consumers wised up to the bait and switch the next RE lightgun game(as well as DSE) bombed. You can't just take the aesthetic of a hardcore game and wrap it around casual game mechanics and expect it to sell. The non core gamers will be turned off by the aesthetic, and the core gamers will be insulted by the limitations of the gameplay, there is effectively no market for those games.

Mad World is in the same situation, another game in a dead genre(brawler) with ultraviolent aesthetic and waggle controls. There is no market for these games.

One of the only other high profile wii flops is pretty much the opposite of those games. Zack and Wiki took another dead genre(P&C adventure), skinned it with an ultra kiddy anime aesthetic and made it full of hardcore puzzles. Again I fail to see the market for this game.

My tips for devs on the wii:

1 Try to use a franchise/brand that has some gamer cred, while being recognizable outside of core gamers. Resident Evil is a good example, as well as pretty much anything Nintendo(with the exception of metroid*)

2 Try not to make a game in a dead genre just because the control scheme makes it an easy fit. Rail shooters and brawlers and point and click adventures are not mass market anymore.

3 Match the target demographic with the visual style of the game and the complexity of the gameplay and difficulty level.

*Metroid is a good best case example for what kind of sales third parties can expect from a quality core only title on the Wii, as it's one of the few Nintendo titles that don't have much crossover appeal. Budget your games accordingly and you will be able to make a decent profit.

Compare sales of the Call of Duty games and Conduit to Metroid sales(adjusing for quality), and you'll see that third parties don't lag too far behind. Problem is they expect to reach the mainstream wii market segment with core focused games, which isn't likely.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
bmf said:
Actually, everything that I've heard says that they had supposedly bought real exclusivity. The version of the story that plays out in my head has a clause in the exclusivity contract that states that Nintendo has to make a certain amount of market penetration to keep the exclusivity, and that since they didn't, so Capcom started porting the game. The part that makes it go from an 'oh well' situation to a 'those fuckers' situation is that Capcom announced the PS2 port a week before the release of the Gamecube version.

I think that this may have been the first "Betrayalton".
delaying the RE4 PS2 announcement until after release would have been an even bigger "fuck you" for those who went out of their way to purchase the game on the gamecube.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
grandjedi6 said:
delaying the RE4 PS2 announcement until after release would have been an even bigger "fuck you" for those who went out of their way to purchase the game on the gamecube.
Depends on who the fuck you is directed at. In the real situation, it was a big fuck you to Nintendo and Gamecube only owners who didn't get the extra content. In the false one, it would be a big fuck you to the multi console owners (which were a minority anyway). The fuck you appeared to be directed at more people in the real situation than the false one.

Mael

amtentori said:
WELL...
the problem here is that not even nintendo has standarized their support for online.
No wii speak in excitebots. no leaderboards for punchout. no wii console code exporting like mario kart.

Nintendo's online would not be so crappy if it there were standards that they enforce and follow. wii console friend exporting should have been standarized a long time ago. pretty much eliminating the friend code problem.

We're not talking about Nintendo here, we're talking about 3rd parties that don't even give enough of a fuck about their games as to provide the best experience possible.
I mean your 2 examples are examples of games that are not leaving or dying with online (punchout is a remake and is pretty much like an arcade game it's only missing the cabinet, and excitebots like mario kart is living/dying as a party game. No online is no bigdeal in both cases).
I mean compare them to Call of Duty, a game that is only worth its asking price if the online is competently made!
I mean that Nintendo don't do things perfectly, that's okay if it's not up to snuff you're in no obligation to buy it. And that's even better for 3rd parties, if they do better they can even steal customers.
for 3rd parties to not even be able to provide better experience than WiiSport and WiiPlay is a fucking tragedy for them, if anything they're training their customers to avoid their games.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
doomed1 said:
Depends on who the fuck you is directed at. In the real situation, it was a big fuck you to Nintendo and Gamecube only owners who didn't get the extra content. In the false one, it would be a big fuck you to the multi console owners (which were a minority anyway). The fuck you appeared to be directed at more people in the real situation than the false one.
Is it always a "fuck you" when a game gets ported with extra content? If so then the video game industry is nothing but a constant stream of "fuck you"s to everybody.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
grandjedi6 said:
Is it always a "fuck you" when a game gets ported with extra content? If so then the video game industry is nothing but a constant stream of "fuck you"s to everybody.
It depends on the speed at which the port comes. Announcement of it a week before the game you want hits and it's already lesser. All you have to hold onto is graphics. It's not very pretty...

NeoUltima

amtentori said:
Mario Kart Wii and NSMBwii are core games. Both wil probably outsell wii fit by the time the generation is over. Not saying that Mario's recognition didnt play a role, but there is a huge market for traditional games. What the hell is more "traditional" than a 2D platformer? NSMBwii is not Wii sports resort nor Wii fit. My mom, sister, and dad can play those games, yet don't really enjoy NSMBwii. They sure as hell could not learn how to play Mario Kart.

Mario just has universal appeal(imo). It is expected for a Mario game to be simple, fun, and great quality(which they are!). I'm not sure I'd call MK core though, obviously its one of those in the gray area. The fact that it comes with the wheel and is a motion controlled game attribute to that. NSMB is great, yeah, I'd say its core. But it has a lot of factors helping it. There's the obvious that its Mario, and it was "the Wii game" of the holidays. It also has the nostalgia factor.(I'm sure I can think of many more factors) Everyone knows Mario...even though its a core game, the associations people have with Mario push them over edge, even if those people don't regularly play core games. Mario is a pretty enigmatic dude :p

3rd party stuff, a lot of it has to do with competing for consumer dollars. Quite frankly, Nintendo is so damn good at it. That's where the risk essentially comes into play. Will you be able to make something that can stand out? It does tend to be those licensed games, especially yes, quality ones, that do well.

Vagabundo

iamblades said:
Compare sales of the Call of Duty games and Conduit to Metroid sales(adjusing for quality), and you'll see that third parties don't lag too far behind. Problem is they expect to reach the mainstream wii market segment with core focused games, which isn't likely.

Some good points and I'll add this: stop with the shovelware, seriously, stop...

NeoUltima

I figured that lost post woulda been my last with you. Hence the "very well" at the end. I try to keep it civilized. And then you come back with a very hostile post. When all that was necessary was to say "nope I still don't agree".

doomed1 said:
You really have no idea what you're talking about. I do have data to support my hypothesis (year+ old data from Nintendo. I don't have the time looking through their conference slides from the past three years though, sorry). And this would be data that wouldn't change much over the years). You don't. My hypothesis has to do with explaining the sales of the the alleged "casual" games and games with long tails (families don't necessarily buy what's brand new) and the realities of neglected potential genre markets. The only reason we don't have any data for these potential buyers, and that includes you by the way, is because no one's tried to reach out to them. For this reason, I have said that greater advertising should be done across the board for new games from 3rd parties. In addition, they should stop treating the games like "tests" beyond understanding what exactly the reaction to their release was. Dead Space Extraction's reaction was poor due to poor outreach to potential consumers and a poor core concept for consumers to be interested in. Not the case with Just Dance. I watched some of the commercials and now even I kind of want it. Am I now suddenly a casual gamer? Should I cancel my order for No More Heroes now and buy Wii Fit instead? No, because my interest in a mainstream game does not change the values I seek in gaming.

You constantly just say "you don't understand, you have no data, blah blah". It's ignorant to be frank. You have less, real, hard data in fact. Demographic figures from Nintendo hold little value. Sales are what speak volume. Just look at the sales chart, what does that tell you? When DSE(which did have a very strong marketing effort btw) flops and EA Sports Active sells millions, what would you do as EA?

There is plenty of data to support what we(most ppl, not you) claim. What would you call the data in the OP? If that doesn't suffice, what sort of data are you looking for?

You claim 3rd parties are not giving Wii a chance and are not trying and that is why they under perform. When in fact, they are trying and they are failing because the Wii is a fundamentally different audience. Look at it this way, the Wii install base is roughly that of 360+ps3. So, unless 100% of the Wii audience is willing to purchase core games, which it clearly is not, there is no reason to risk making high budget core games. I mean, doesn't Nintendo have all this data about all the new people they are bringing into games cause? They didn't coming into games to play core games, they want to play the casual stuff. So clearly that number will not be anywhere near 100%, lets be generous and say 70% of Wii owners aren't "new" gamers. Well 30% is still a fucking lot. Well more than enough to justify keeping core games on the other consoles. (this is a loose example to stress a point, DO NOT take it literally)

All you have is a "hypothesis": 'All it takes is advertising to sell games to anyone and that Wii is a family console. Each family will have members that fill in niches and thus validate more 3rd party, particularly core, support. '

Is that right? If its wrong I would love for you to write definitively what your "hypothesis" is. (actually I wouldn't we can just end this)

...Advertise games to increase sales!? What a damn revelation. What makes you think Wii games are advertised any less than other games? (I'll pull a you, give me data if you want to say they are, not some anecdotal "I didn't see a commercial".) And the whole family thing is unrealistic:

You describe it like each member of the family is buying their own games. That would mean the attach ratio for Wii would be 3x(or however big the average family is) as big as it is now. The same amount of software is sold(same AR as other consoles). This family theory is asinine. If the Wii is purchased for use by a family, the family as a whole is looked at as a single consumer.

You do not think rationally, you are asking publishers to go against the real data, the analysts, etc, in favor of a theory with nothing behind it but a kid on a forum overthinking Wii demographic data.

You have no significant data to back up your claims. There's nothing saying that Jake's parents would or would not approve of him playing Madworld because he's a fictional construct I used to apply sample consumer values to. In addition, your comparisons with NMH2 and UC2 are unfair as well. NMH is a niche game with a niche abstract presentation made by a niche studio funded by a niche Japanese publisher produced by eccentric and very niche developer given no mainstream media advertising support all Rated M, while Uncharted is a 1st party Sony title made by a mainstream developer with a mainstream presentation and a multi-million dollar mainstream ad campaign all rated T. Someone who plays No More Heroes isn't necessarily going to want to play Uncharted, and vis versa.
That was a hypothetical example to prove a point(put dif games in the example, it makes no difference). I said not to focus on the little things and you do. You ignore my main point there and rip into an example. Well actually, you are kinda proving part of my point(see bolded). Advertising to someone who doesn't care for a game is pointless.

Regarding your call to increase advertising for Wii games...they advertise as much as they should. They determine the cost per thousand, they project how much sales when increase if they reach X thousand consumers. They weigh it out and find the optimal level. Is this always the case? No. But don't assume advertising more is always better. Extra sales revenue does no good if it doesn't cover the advertising costs.

Is it a risk to make a higher budget game for the Wii? Sure it is! Was it a risk to go modern with Call of Duty? A risk to put all that money behind a new IP like Assassin's Creed? A risk to put the Wii out to market in the first place? Fuck yes, and look where they are now. Risk brings reward, but you can't go half-way on it. Sometimes it'll work and sometimes it won't, but being as risk adverse as they are with the Wii, I am shocked and appalled that 3rd parties haven't just curled up into a fetal position and started crying.

...Just silly. Publishers have taken risks with Wii and failed. You claim they were only half there, but that is nothing but an opinion. In their eyes they tried and failed. There is no reason to risk even more when they can make lower risk games elsewhere. In fact, I can guarantee you these publishers perform risk analysis. They calculate expected profits, factoring in risk and probability of success and failure. Are these calculations perfect? No. The calculations are based on models, models are not perfect. But they offer the most educated decisions you can expect.

This isn't about risk or market predictability, because we've determined that the "predictable" HD market is insufficient for games to be significantly profitable in. This is about developers swallowing their pride, admitting they've fucked up, and trying to fix it.
No. Just no. It is about risk and market predictability. The companies are not losing money simply because games are not selling enough, there's many factors at play(overhead, rising costs, bad economy, mismanagement, etc). Most games do sell enough to cover their costs. There is nothing to indicate the Wii market would be more profitable...

The answer is not necessarily to throw all money into the Wii, but rather to look at the games marketplace from the consumer point of view; ask why rather than what, ask how rather than if.
What the hell...

I don't have the business credentials to say for certain what 3rd parties should do about the Wii for certain, but if some literature academic is thinking more proactively about a market he has no real stake in than those paid to do so, then where the fuck is my paycheck for analyst services?
Well this explains everything.

EDIT: I should really stop doing this. I don't have the energy to argue with you over the bullshit you spew all hours of the night. I find you're looking at things from the worst point of view possible, but let's just agree to disagree.
You turn it into an argument.
Funny, I absolutely admire Nintendo for what they have done these last 5 years(yes, including this casual revolution, bravo to them).

/nods towards bolded

Mael

NeoUltima said:
You constantly just say "you don't understand, you have no data, blah blah". It's ignorant to be frank. You have less, real, hard data in fact. Demographic figures from Nintendo hold little value. Sales are what speak volume. Just look at the sales chart, what does that tell you? When DSE(which did have a very strong marketing effort btw) flops and EA Sports Active sells millions, what would you do as EA?

Is there anyone still surprised that Dead Space did badly? I mean NO ONE wanted the bloody game, if you make cow flavored ice cream in a really cold area of India don't be surprised you go out of business.
If anything it seems the 3rd parties have done their very best to fail on Wii

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
NeoUltima said:
I'm not sure I'd call MK core though, obviously its one of those in the gray area.

I think we are getting all confused between 'core' and 'hardcore' here.

'Core' is a marketing term - it refers to whatever your main market is. Like the core market for razors is men who don't like beards, and the core market for leg-shavers is women and cyclists.

Mario Kart is an absolutely spot on solid core game for Nintendo's core market. It is a core game without any room for doubt at all.

What hardcore ought to mean is the most unshakeable part of your core market - men who shave twice a day, women whose legs are in the public eye and the most aerodynamic of Tour de France cyclists. But for some bizarre reason it has come to be a tribal term to identify the most unshakeable addicts of particular sorts of games, predominantly on the PS360 platforms.

It is like saying that razors are the only hardcore/core market, and leg-shavers are for wimps and retards rather than just being an entirely different market. Saying there is 'no market' for hardcore games on the Wii is the exact equivalent of saying there is no market for Mario games on the PS360.

You describe it like each member of the family is buying their own games. That would mean the attach ratio for Wii would be 3x(or however big the average family is) as big as it is now. The same amount of software is sold(same AR as other consoles). This family theory is asinine. If the Wii is purchased for use by a family, the family as a whole is looked at as a single consumer.

This little spat between doomed1 and NeoUltima makes for uncomfortable reading at times (and I'm not taking sides, there are good points on both angles) - but it has thrown up some very juicy and interesting stuff, like this one.

I take it we are agreed that the rate of purchasing games per console is about the same across all three platforms.

Now, what that means IF each member of the family is buying their own games (or influencing the purchase, which comes to about the same thing), is not that the attach rate would be three times as big, but that the purchases per consumer would be three times as small.

It might be, you know, that everyone's been right all along that Wii gamers buy fewer games - it is just that there are more of them on average per console and it all evens out. That is even quite logical if you consider that one of the major constraints on how many games you purchase is how much time you have to play them.

It is true of course, that a household purchase is seen as a single consumer. That's kind of true across economics. But where doomed1's family theory has an advantage, is that it doesn't go on from there to try and work out what sort of consumer the household is - while it makes sense to some extent to categorise individual gamers as core v (yuk) 'casual', it probably doesn't make sense to do that for a household - not in general, not for families.

I'll stop there, for fear of reopening any old wounds!

I swear, one of the most frustraiting things in all this blah blah 3rd partyz on teh Wii = fail thing is seeing 'good/real' (ie not spin-offs or on rain shooters) PSP games or at least PSP games with some effort behind them and wonder why there isn't a Wii version.

Obviously there is an excuse as to why they don't want to port a HD game to Wii, but you'd think the freaking PSP and Wii could just be sharing titles??

Why was there a regular Soul Calibur game on PSP but only a pos spin-off on Wii? Do they feel EVERY game has to have waggle and minigames so can't be bothered tacking them on? Why can't SE just do Dissidia or Crises Core on Wii with classic controller controls and call it a day?

I know you don't just push a button and PSP converts to Wii, but these are the same types of morans who spend said money and development time trying to put Dead Rising on Wii instead. You'd think doing a downgrade is HARDER than just PSP > Wii so why pick the harder route thats has little to no chance of being any good.

Heck, you'd INSTANTLY have a market, people who like the looks of the game and really want to play it but would rather have a console version on the TV. I know in Japan handhelds are king, but wouldn't the gigantic market outside of that country be enticing? You know, the same market you're trying to sell crappy no effort shovelware too and wondering why they aren't lapping your shit up?

/rant

NeoUltima

phisheep said:
I think we are getting all confused between 'core' and 'hardcore' here.

'Core' is a marketing term - it refers to whatever your main market is. Like the core market for razors is men who don't like beards, and the core market for leg-shavers is women and cyclists.

Mario Kart is an absolutely spot on solid core game for Nintendo's core market. It is a core game without any room for doubt at all.

What hardcore ought to mean is the most unshakeable part of your core market - men who shave twice a day, women whose legs are in the public eye and the most aerodynamic of Tour de France cyclists. But for some bizarre reason it has come to be a tribal term to identify the most unshakeable addicts of particular sorts of games, predominantly on the PS360 platforms.

It is like saying that razors are the only hardcore/core market, and leg-shavers are for wimps and retards rather than just being an entirely different market. Saying there is 'no market' for hardcore games on the Wii is the exact equivalent of saying there is no market for Mario games on the PS360.
Not confused. I think everyone knows the official meaning of the words. It's just the lingo thrown around. Everyone knows whats implied when its said in reference to gaming. The industry just adapted the words to help make discussion easier. Informal terms.

Typing "core" shorthand for "hardcore" is actually quite funny when you point that MK example out :lol

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
NeoUltima said:
Not confused. I think everyone knows the official meaning of the words. It's just the lingo thrown around. Everyone knows whats implied when its said in reference to gaming. The industry just adapted the words to help make discussion easier. Informal terms.

Typing "core" shorthand for "hardcore" is actually quite funny when you point that MK example out :lol

Of course.

I just think it is worth pulling back to reality every now and then, because the shorthand can get dangerously out of control sometimes.

Not something I intend to bang on about all the time, I assure you!

I think nintendo alienated themselves from alot of developers with the the wii's ideaology, coming out of the ps2-xbox era the industry* felt fairly secure and confident that it knew what it wanted and where it was going then Nintendo came along and upended the tea table(tm). As immature as it sounds i think wii's real problem is the creative forces at other devolopers resent Nintendo coming along pretty much undermining and invaldating the phillosphies and conventions they had been working under.

Pretty much a case of butt hurt.

i mean wheres my Ancel,Levine and Spector on wii?

farnham

Banned
NinjaTehFish said:
I think nintendo alienated themselves from alot of developers with the the wii's ideaology, coming out of the ps2-xbox era the industry* felt fairly secure and confident that it knew what it wanted and where it was going then Nintendo came along and upended the tea table(tm). As immature as it sounds i think wii's real problem is the creative forces at other devolopers resent Nintendo coming along pretty much undermining and invaldating the phillosphies and conventions they had been working under.

Pretty much a case of butt hurt.

i mean wheres my Ancel,Levine and Spector on wii?
warren spector makes epic mickey and ancel did develop the first rayman raving rabbids (although he abandoned the series after it turned into a mini games fest)

anyway... i dont think developers have too much power over the direction a company goes.. in the end its the money that decides

Taker666

michaelpachter said:
Running through the NPD results for 2009 (U.S. only in retail dollars), it looks like Nintendo first party Wii titles sold 27.5 million units for a total of $1.53 billion at retail. In contrast, overall Wii software sales were 72.4 million units and $3.23 billion.

I think that this illustrates an obvious point: Nintendo first party titles dominate on the Wii.

Well ...considering they dominate the console in regards to the amount of marketing, the mainline franchises released ...and the quality of software...surely it's unsurprising they dominate the market?

Nintendo captured 38% of unit sales and 47% of dollar sales, leaving the rest for third parties. The average Nintendo first party Wii title sold for $55.63, while the average third party title sold for $37.85. Nintendo first party titles captured the top 6 positions, 9 of the top 10, and 15 of the top 21.

The games I mentioned in Bonus Round (Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles and Dead Space Extraction ) finished at positions 151 and 261, respectively.

You mean the two games you claimed had great/decent marketing..when the only marketing I saw was 1 banner on 1 website.

I saw no instore marketing and zero tv advertising (most stores had few copies..and they were simply lost amongst the other software).

I pre-ordered RE : DC a number of months prior to launch...and I was actually shocked when it turned up in the mail...as I had no idea it had been released. If someone who pre-ordered the game had no idea it was released..what does that say for its profile with the mass market?

Perhaps you could find out for us the how the marketing spends were on the Wii compared to the HD platforms?

How much was spent advertising RE5..how much on RE : DC
How much on Dead Space...and how much on Dead Space Extraction

I found it fascinating that the highest ranked Guitar Hero title on the Wii in 2009 was GH World Tour at #30. I also found it fascinating that games like Just Dance, Cabela's Big Game Hunter, Deal or No Deal, The Biggest Loser and Jillian Michaels 2009 all finished ahead of the highest ranked GH game.

Activision have destroyed the Guitar Hero franchise by releasing multiple titles throughout the year. The release of Guitar hero is no longer and event due to the complete dilution of the franchise. They should have kept it to 1 game a year (at most).

Interestingly (at least to me), the six third party titles in the top 20 were EA Sports Active, Lego Star Wars, Madden 10, Tiger Woods 10, Deca Sports (?), Game Partyand Rock Band 2.

The conclusion I draw from this is that the Wii audience is far more casual and harder to reach than the PS3 or 360 audiences (pretty obvious), and they buy brand name software (with "Wii" or "Mario" in the title, or with a TV/product tie-in). The only titles that don't fit this are Deca Sports and Game Party. The average selling price of third party titles says a lot, coming in almost $7 below the average for all Wii titles, and almost $18 below first party titles. There were a lot of units sold with the word "party" in the title at $20 or less.

Given that NeoGAF is a hard core site, I'm curious to hear your spin. What should publishers do?

Well you've sort of answered your own question. Marketing works, quality helps ..and brand names sell.

So the obvious answer is to release quality software with a big brand name..and good marketing.

Lets look at one of the big success stories on Wii..which you have listed - Lego Star Wars Wii. Well..it's still in the charts over 2 years after launch...so where's the Wii/DS exclusive follow up?

If I was LucasArts some of the following would either be in production..or released already.

A new Lego Star Wars built for the Wii
A Lego Star Wars Lightsaber game using Motion Plus
A Classic Trilogy lightsaber game using Motion Plus
A Wiiware "Super Star Wars" game using the pointer for Force powers (See Lost winds/NyxQuest)
A port of Star Wars Trilogy Arcade.

The problem is...most of those are no brainers...but instead LucasArts makes crappy Clone Wars games (that nobody ever wanted).

The question isn't "what should publishers do?"...it's "why haven't they done it already?"

If I was Activision I would have made and heavily marketed a wii exclusive Spider-man game..using the pointer for web aims/web spinning..but that was a no brainer the second the wii remote was announced...

..and I would have gone straight to Nintendo and asked if I could make Guitar Hero - Mario Rocks (Guitar hero is dying..but a bit of Mario would likely help for one game).

If I was EA I would have made a pointer based Harry Potter game and marketed the hell out of it (and maybe have included a wand shell)..but that was a no brainer the second the wii remote was announced. Hell..they could even have made a Quidditch game with a broomstick shell.

If I was Capcom I would have made a direct follow up to RE4 for the Wii..but that was a no brainer the second the wii remote was announced.

and due to the success of New Super Mario bros Wii..
if I was a 3rd party i'd be going to Nintendo and saying..can we make

New Sonic The Hedgehog,
New Castlevania,
New Super Streetfighter,
New Mega Man,
New Ghosts and Goblins,
etc etc etc.

I see the 3rd party position on the Wii as a chicken and egg scenario:

Pre-condition: Publishers initially doubting its potential success + Wii has incredibly lackluster hardware = 3rd parties not devoting AAA material to the platform right from the start

1. 3rd party sales tank (for the most part, there are a few successes)

2. Publishers and devs now even more risk-averse with respect to the Wii

3. "Gamer" expectations are low for 3rd party games, so they pay less attention to that platform for those kinds of titles than they do the HD twins

4. Rinse, repeat

P.S. Pachter's analysis flies in the face of many on GAF who kept claiming that 3rd party software does "just fine" (or some derivative thereof) on the Wii.

Effect

jrricky said:
Is pachter still here?

If he is, what do you think of Ubisoft, Namco and EAs reasoning of putting Assasins Creed, Soul Calibur, Dante's Inferno, and Army Of Two on the PSP and not Wii?

This alone makes me go !Que!

This is something I'd really like to know as well. If it's a situation where Sony bought versions of these games for the PSP then another question has to be asked. Is this what 3rd party developers want Nintendo to do?

Basically fund development on games and then simply allow these publishers (who should be doing this) to reap almost all the reward and none of the risk? Is that what the industry has come down to?

The very fact that these games exist on the PSP, their quality being a separate issue I think, shows that they could be done on the Wii while maintaining whatever cinematic feel or whatever they were trying to go for. Treyarch doing a very successful port of Call of Duty (not only their own games but IW's Call of Duty 4) again proves these games can be made and made well on the Wii and people will buy them. No audience claims are a lie. The Wii being incapable of doing what developers want is a lie.

One of the biggest things 3rd party developers could do is simply stop acting and treating Wii console owners as if they are stupid. It doesn't matter what they might be classified as. People know full well when they are being used. Hell Ubisoft admitted they were using their profit from casual games to fund HD development a while back. However I'm glad their "casual" gaming scheme is blowing up in their faces. They were a prime example of a publisher counting on Wii "casual" or "new gamers" being stupid and not knowing any better.

Indyana

Nirolak said:
Well, you do have to consider that Sony actually went around handing out money to get most of these games on the PSP.

If Nintendo drove around to every developer handing out loads of money to get games, they probably wouldn't be lacking third party exclusives.
I don't think that Sony moneyhatting these games can explain what's happening.

On one hand, the problem with PSP software sales is beyond the games developed for the platform. On the other hand, Sony is bleeding money this generation, if they were going to buy games, it would be better to buy PS3 games. When you look at the whole picture, there are games that didn't need Sony's help, but they are not being ported anyway. Square Enix even ported a DS game to Wii, but they are not porting their PSP games. And it gets even weirder when you look at the announced DS and PSP games in Japan.

I think there's something else. I don't know what it is and I don't want to imply some crazy ideas, but I don't believe this is just Sony throwing money around.
Flachmatuch said:
This is a few separate issues. First is "cost per platform", which is development costs divided by number of platforms (no idea about what this number means though). We don't know much about development costs, but what little we know actually does not really support what you're saying.
I don't know if this is going to be helpful, but this is the best information I know about the subject.

The average development budget for a multiplatform next-gen game is $18-$28 million, according to new data.

A study by entertainment analyst group M2 Research also puts development costs for single-platform projects at an averge of $10 million.

Taker666 said:
and due to the success of New Super Mario bros Wii..
if I was a 3rd party i'd be going to Nintendo and saying..can we make

New Sonic The Hedgehog,
Right now all indications point to Project Needlemouse being HD only.
lol Sega

New Castlevania,
Konami is already making new retro style games for Wiiware such as Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth.

New Mega Man,
New Ghosts and Goblins,
etc etc etc.

The fact that these games ended up on the PSP of all places just kills me. GnG had ok sales but Mega Man Powered Up didn't even make it to the top 30 in Japan, iirc. However, Wiiware has gotten Mega Man 9 and is getting 10, either of which is far more interesting to me than Powered Up so I can't complain.

So the Wii is already getting games of this type, though not as retail releases, and I am loving them, but I agree with your advice however. Given that Nintendo has been vocally targeting lapsed gamers since the beginning and has been making good money from them via the virtual console, developers should have given the Wii more attention with their retro updates this generation. However, I don't expect NSMB Wii to be any more successful than NSMB DS was at inspiring developers to make new 2d games.

Vagabundo

I suppose I should talk from my own experience.

What I want from 3rd parties is some quality software, I really dont care what they have done on the ps3 or 360 or what they are releasing there, as long as I get a decent Wii game.

I didn't by Dead Space Extraction, purely because it was a Light Gun Game and I already had HotD to satisfy my craving for that genre. If Dead Space Ex was 3rd person I wouldn't have jumped, I've been waiting for 3rd person shooters since RE4:Wii and that is a long wait.

Instead of Dead Space I waited fro COD4: Reflex and I'm glad I did, it is a damn fine game. Well worth it. I might buy COD for the Wii next year now.

3rd Parties need to start releasing a constant stream of quality titles, as lead one a month. I mean that as 3rd parties in total, not individually. The Wii needs it's 9/10 game of the month and this needs to happen constantly for them to rebuild any momentum.

ShinNL

NeoUltima said:
When DSE(which did have a very strong marketing effort btw) flops and EA Sports Active sells millions, what would you do as EA?
How about this for data?
Nintendo makes Wii Fit and Metroid Prime 3. They both sell well.

Nintendo makes Wii Music. It tanks.

EA makes Dead Space Extraction. It tanks.
EA makes EA Sports Active. It sells.

Nintendo makes Mario Space Extraction. It tanks.

Do you have any clue what you're comparing? Just because 1 sells doesn't mean the other won't sell. I actually own all the games that just happened to sell well. Why? Because they're good and something I wanted. Why would people want Dead Space Extraction? One more light-gun example and I'm gonna go nuts on you guys.

wazoo

DSE was not a bad game, rated 8 in Edge, and it hardly play like HOTD. And it did not tank because it was a rail shooter. People here react like people, potential customers, knew what was Dead Space at all in the shop by looking at the box. It tanked because EA was ashame of advertising Wii core games, IMO.

Wii Music sold almost 3M copies, more than almost anything 1st party from Sony this gen on ps3. Yes, it tanks.

ShinNL

By tanking I mean below expectations. Which is true (and I have no clue what EA was expecting of DSE, but I assume way too high).

Effect

NeoUltima said:
When DSE(which did have a very strong marketing effort btw) flops and EA Sports Active sells millions, what would you do as EA?

What is the name of the world you live in where DSE had a "very strong marketing effort"? The world where everyone else lives in EA did nothing outside of some internet ad banners on gaming sites. Even then I think they were largely limited to IGN. After the backlash (which they most likely did not expect and didn't know how to respond to) of the announcement that it would be a rail shooter they went quiet on the game I believe. It was simply put out in the end and they called it a day.

EA Sports Active was actually advertised on various channels (during the day not at midnight or even later then that which is where some publishers want to advertise Wii games) and was even showcased on the talk show Ellen as well I believe. The EA Sports section of EA seems to know it's doing. Well mostly as they really screwed up Madden on the Wii and there is no reason why did that.

Conrad Link said:
Why can't SE just do Dissidia or Crises Core on Wii with classic controller controls and call it a day?
To be fair, SE games generally sell no matter what console they're on, and that holds true for their PSP games too. The last game on PSP to chart in NPD Top 10 before Dissidia was Crisis Core (a year and a half earlier).

Still, I do have to wonder why they don't try a KH:BBS port, it seems like it'd be easy money.

NeoUltima said:

There is plenty of data to support what we(most ppl, not you) claim. What would you call the data in the OP? If that doesn't suffice, what sort of data are you looking for?

And we're right back where we started. Since you're regurgitating old, tired arguments, I'm going to respond by quoting myself:

me said:
Your conclusions are backwards. 3rd party games' sales on the Wii are not a reflection of the Wii demographic, they're a reflection of the effort made by 3rd parties. If they were a proper reflection of the demographic, they'd also mirror the sales of 1st party games much more closely.

I really hate the attitude that Nintendo's games magically sell. It's not magic, and it's not impossible for another company to accomplish. It's just quality and consistency: make good games and keep making good games, and you can build brands and earn trust.

You're correct about one thing: sales do speak volumes. Look what's selling on the Wii: excellent, well-marketed games (that happen to be from Nintendo), a handful of carbon copies of the same, and a few random titles that basically "won the lottery" and clicked with a few percent of the audience. That says it all. But unfortunately, the logical conclusions are never drawn from it. Not by 3rd parties, and not by you. Instead, every success is written off as a fluke and every failure is taken as proof that success is impossible.

Vinci

Danish
I keep seeing 'Nintendo dominates the Wii market' comments, but... out of curiosity, which companies control (ie. dominate) the 360 and PS3 markets? It's certainly not MS or Sony, so who is it? Can we get some numbers on how much those markets are controlled by Activision or EA, etc.?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
iamblades said:
The problem is that third parties learned the wrong lesson from the RE games.

RE 4 wii edition came out, and sold great, showing there is a market for a deep quality mature title with a big brand name. So what do they do to capitalize on that market?

They release a dumbed down patronizing lightgun game, because apparently wii owners are too stupid to use an analog stick to move around. However, because of the success of RE 4 and how great of a game it is, it manages to still sell very well.

Third parties took this as a sign that the key to success was releasing really hardcore mature IPs with dumbed down casual controls.

Needless to say, because the consumers wised up to the bait and switch the next RE lightgun game(as well as DSE) bombed. You can't just take the aesthetic of a hardcore game and wrap it around casual game mechanics and expect it to sell. The non core gamers will be turned off by the aesthetic, and the core gamers will be insulted by the limitations of the gameplay, there is effectively no market for those games.

Mad World is in the same situation, another game in a dead genre(brawler) with ultraviolent aesthetic and waggle controls. There is no market for these games.

One of the only other high profile wii flops is pretty much the opposite of those games. Zack and Wiki took another dead genre(P&C adventure), skinned it with an ultra kiddy anime aesthetic and made it full of hardcore puzzles. Again I fail to see the market for this game.

My tips for devs on the wii:

1 Try to use a franchise/brand that has some gamer cred, while being recognizable outside of core gamers. Resident Evil is a good example, as well as pretty much anything Nintendo(with the exception of metroid*)

2 Try not to make a game in a dead genre just because the control scheme makes it an easy fit. Rail shooters and brawlers and point and click adventures are not mass market anymore.

3 Match the target demographic with the visual style of the game and the complexity of the gameplay and difficulty level.

*Metroid is a good best case example for what kind of sales third parties can expect from a quality core only title on the Wii, as it's one of the few Nintendo titles that don't have much crossover appeal. Budget your games accordingly and you will be able to make a decent profit.

Honestly, I think Zack and Wiki would have sold much, much better if they stuck with the name Treasure Island Z that it originally had. Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure sounds like a shovelware title meant for the 4-7 crowd. Also, it had pretty poor retail presence: I had to buy the game online through amazon because none of the stores around here caried it. And I live in the Twin Cities, the headquarters of retailers like Target and Best Buy. I have never had to buy a game online because I could not find a retailer that carried it before... except for Zack & Wiki.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
michaelpachter said:
I made a comment on Bonus Round that half the Wii audience is hard core and half is purely casual. That split sounds pretty agressive, and the data above suggests it's more like 25/75.

Given that NeoGAF is a hard core site, I'm curious to hear your spin. What should publishers do?
As long as you try and pigeon hole the audience they are going to struggle. My household is 50:50 'core':'casual' in terms of users, but 90% of the games are purchased by the 'core' user ie me. However, the games bought range from 'party' - 'casual' - 'core' because I buy some games just for myself and some for the household and then some for the broadest audience possible for parties etc. Titles that fit all 3 criteria and have a high level of quality - ie NSMB:Wii - are an almost guaranteed purchase.

Vinci

Danish
Vinci said:
I keep seeing 'Nintendo dominates the Wii market' comments, but... out of curiosity, which companies control (ie. dominate) the 360 and PS3 markets? It's certainly not MS or Sony, so who is it? Can we get some numbers on how much those markets are controlled by Activision or EA, etc.?

So... we have these incredibly detailed numbers on the Wii market and Nintendo's domination of it, but none for what the bigger 3rd parties are doing on the 360 and PS3?

Lenardo

Banned
just for fun i just found the just dance commercials for the wii

hate to say it guys, i gotta buy that for my daughter, she'll LOVE IT!,

PERFECT MARKETING plan by ubisoft, nice marketing, shows people having a blast= me wanting to buy.

just dance's marketing effort shows what a good game -with proper marketing- can do to sales.

most good 3rd party games for the wii do not have the proper marketing to go with being a good game.

Mael

Vinci said:
And why is no one crying that EA controls nearly 30% of the market on the 360 and PS3?
Because EA is not Nintendo?
And it's much easier to steal EA's customers than it is Nintendo's?

durendal

I would argue that marketing has less of an impact on Wii sales than people think. The games often cited as examples of core game failure are really not all that great to begin with.

Would these games have sold well on the PS3 or 360 in the state that they were in on the Wii, or even with a massive graphical upgrade (HD etc...)?:

Madworld
Dead Space: Extraction
Zack and Wiki
The Conduit
RE: Darkside Chronicles
The House of the Dead: Overkill
No More Heroes (I guess we'll see on this one, though I don't know if there are any improvements)
etc...

Just because some gaming journalists who love beat em ups and railshooters gave some positive reviews doesn't mean the games were any good or that they were even wanted at all. Many of these games are ok, but they're not good enough for most people to spend $50 on them. That is why they failed. A decent Dead Space FPS likely would have fared better. DS did somewhere around 1m on 360 and 400 000 on Wii, so I'm sure a game more in line with the original would have sold at least as well.

Threi

notag
25/75 Core/Casual split...and yet third parties can't even get a game to sell to 1/10th of that segmented market.

Guess they should go a step farther and say that out of that 25%, 10% actually buy games.

Nintendo sold almost 4 million consoles last month, they are almost at 50 million worldwide. Third parties can't get a game to sell to 2.5% of that audience.

And that is Nintendo's fault.

If you don't catch fish, blame the ocean, not the fact that you are using poor bait.

Mael

Vinci said:
And why is it easier to steal EA's customers than Nintendo's?
I dunno maybe because 1 has the soundest business model this side of the earth and the other is just your regular corporation?

KamenSenshi

Conrad Link said:
I swear, one of the most frustraiting things in all this blah blah 3rd partyz on teh Wii = fail thing is seeing 'good/real' (ie not spin-offs or on rain shooters) PSP games or at least PSP games with some effort behind them and wonder why there isn't a Wii version.
This. A few others have said it also but really, why do pubs/devs act like wii owners should run out and buy their watered down spin off trash when they can put these games on the psp. the same psp that is proven not to sell software. seems like a waste of time.

Vinci

Danish
Mael said:
I dunno maybe because 1 has the soundest business model this side of the earth and the other is just your regular corporation?

So we're bitching because an extremely competent company with very little competition controls 1/3 of the market on one platform, meanwhile an incompetent one controls almost 30% on two? Out of curiosity, if EA had less competition from Activision and other 3rd parties, what do you suppose EA's marketshare would be on those two platforms?

Mael

Vinci said:
So we're bitching because an extremely competent company with very little competition controls 1/3 of the market on one platform, meanwhile an incompetent one controls almost 30% on two?

Basically

Vinci said:
Out of curiosity, if EA had less competition from Activision and other 3rd parties, what do you suppose EA's marketshare would be on those two platforms?
Well I guess they would have a bigger market share but I doubt that they'd be selling more software.
I mean they have nothing close to Call of Duty and Rock Band wouldn't exist if not for Guitar Hero :/

Top Bottom