• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Nathan Drake GIF perfectly sums up how I reacted to this Nathan Drake GIF.

Genio88

Nothing in Tomb Raider looks as good as that, I love that game, but come on.

So that's not at least as good as that?

kXQ6L4i.gif

Tomeru

The ones who downplay this clearly mistake facial expressions for animation. I think this is where most of the confusion is coming from, because all them gifs that try to counter the one in the op show just that, Nothing outstanding about the animations in them, they are solely showing facial expressions.

Now the gif in the op is something else entirely.

Edit:
And I fucking love Lara in Rise of.

It's not as impressive because it's not as impressive, has nothing to do with who made it.

Not even close.
No it's not, I played through that whole game, impressive, but not as good as that GIF. Seriously, anyone looking at those two can tell clearly which one is better.

You're joking, right?

Please, the four of you, explain. Because this thread has a heck of a lot of "oh my gawd" as well as a lot of "looks comparatively like shite" without much, if any, explanation as to why this should be so obvious to anyone. It is not (as I said before) intuitively obvious that one is X better. Especially if the basis is off of 360p gifs this thread starts off with.

Really, even the opening post is emblematic of this.
but ND one of the best at execution and attention to detail.

This narrative, that any other game apparently that is not ND made, lacks attention to detail, craft, and artistry... and instead goes by by doing everything through some nebulous term like "technology" is so prevalent. Why is this so? Do all other studios lack artists who care about their work? Do they throw out previs-like work and just say "meh"?

wapplew

It's certainly expressive, but I think UC4 has some better tech on display.

I wouldn't say better tech, cause many studio are great with tech. Like Star Citizen surely have more advance tech, higher res texture, higher poly count etc, better shadow all those raw power,
but ND is one of the best at execution and attention to detail.

Oppo

The ones who downplay this clearly mistake facial expressions for animation. I think this is where most of the confusion is coming from, because all them gifs that try to counter the one in the op show just that, Nothing outstanding about the animations in them, they are solely showing facial expressions.

not only that

but he wipes his face. you can't actually capture that. you'd block the facial capture rig or tracking dots on the performer. so someone hand to... wait for it... hand-animate that. it's almost an inside joke on how fancy their system has become.

Raylan

Banned
Please, the four of you, explain. Because this thread has a heck of a lot of "oh my gawd" as well as a lot of "looks comparatively like shite" without much, if any, explanation as to why this should be so obvious to anyone. It is not (as I said before) intuitively obvious that one is X better. Especially if the basis is off of 360p gifs this thread starts off with.

This narrative, that any other game apparently that is not ND made, lacks attention to detail, craft, and artistry... and instead goes by by doing everything through some nebulous term like "technology" is so prevalent. Why is this so? Do all other studios lack artists who care about their work? Do they throw out previs-like work and just say "meh"?

And Dictator finally arrived

Maybe this here helps:

Edit:
And I fucking love Lara in Rise of.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So that's not at least as good as that?

kXQ6L4i.gif

It's a strange collection of facial animations that are meant to express ... Well, you tell me because I'm not sure. What is she expressing here? It reminds me of some of the facial animations in Infamous 3. I'm not saying it's bad just that UC4 is well beyond this.

You're comparing THAT to this?

foxbeldin

Please, the both of you, explain. Because this thread has a heck of a lot of "oh my gawd" as well as a lot of "looks comparatively like shite" without much, if any, explanation as to why this should be so obvious to anyone.

Ok.
The Nathan character seems to have a lot more going on while at the mean time the animation is played with much more subtelty. My guess would be that it has more bones for the face rigging and also much more work in the handmade retakes of the motion capture.
When he rubs his cheek, it appears to have much more density and flesh. The cheek is deforming and sliding on the skull when pressured by the hand.
The Lara model, while very good, has a little plastic feel to it and seems to deforms with straight animations. You can almost see all the mocap points go from A to B to C etc.. You can determine where the facial animation ends on her neck, where the skinning influence disappears on the sides.

Source : It's actually my job. (and i'm not as talented as neither ND, nor CD artists)

I've explained it about 95 times in the thread of why I find the Nathan Drake one impressive. I'm answering those posts with simple answers because they're so clearly said in order to antagonize. I also like how they posted and basically said nothing except this looks more impressive and yet they weren't called out.

Here you go though.

The Nathan Drake gif looks better because of several reasons, the attention to detail of his hand running around the rock wall in a realistic way. The way he pulls his skin and lips as he grabs his face and moves his hand down. The way he animates all together looks more fluid. The way his shirt wrinkles and looks like his muscle flexes as it bends. When he touches the rock wall his bones start showing as he presses against it. His face looks way more detailed. The Tomb Raider gif on the other hand looks stiff, Laura looks like shes made of plastic, her skin shaders look worse, and the lighting looks worse as well.

I still don't understand how we all got called out when their posts were just as inflammatory, I've explained myself several times in this thread, maybe I won't have to repeat it again. I don't even think Genio88 represented Tomb Raider's animations as accurately as they are, because there have been moments in that game that look better then what he posted.

aravuus

No idea what sort of an explanation you're looking for (I mean, if they think it looks better, the think it looks better), but for one, I have no idea what the fuck Lara's feeling or doing or anything in the gif. With Uncharted Man, I could at least make a guess.

Tomeru

He said "one of the best", so why would you go some place else with this?

There is one thing I need to know. Is the Nathan Drake Gif ingame and running in real time on the ps4 hardware or is it a Cuscene like how ND used to do it where its pre recorded and tweaked?

I only ask becuase I know the tomb raider one is runnign 100 percent in engine and using the ingame character model, not a souped up one.

There is one thing I need to know. Is the Nathan Drake Gif ingame and running in real time on the ps4 hardware or is it a Cuscene like how ND used to do it where its pre recorded and tweaked?

I only ask becuase I know the tomb raider one is runnign 100 percent in engine and using the ingame character model, not a souped up one.

Real time

There is just something more in Nate's expression and animation compared to Tomb Raider and Quantum Break. I can't tell what it is though. Lara's mouth is just to expressive I think. She opens it up too much.

And Dictator finally arrived
A thread about graphics in some way without a post from me? UNHEARD OF I SAY.
Maybe this here helps:
If I read this correctly, you think people are in general, confusing the performance given (i.e. the peformance of Nate's actor) for the general quality of animations transfered onto the model? To put into terms via an example: in the posted gif's, Lara and Nate have similar technical animation qualities (whatever they may be), yet nate's performance, via the acting of his actor, is what stands out as being more convincing.

I can be behind that.
Ok.
The Nathan character seems to have a lot more going on while at the mean time the animation is played with much more subtelty. My guess would be that it has more bones for the face rigging and also much more work in the handmade retakes of the motion capture.
When he rubs his cheek, it appears to have much more density and flesh. The cheek is deforming and sliding on the skull when pressured by the hand.
The Lara model, while very good, has a little plastic feel to it and seems to deforms with straight animations. You can almost see all the mocap points go from A to B to C etc.. You can determine where the facial animation ends on her neck, where the skinning influence disappears on the sides.
Source : It's actually my job. (and i'm not as talented as neither ND, nor CD artists)
I honestly in the gif posted cannot really see the area where the facial skinning ends and the more static neck model begins (probably because the gif is low res and also from the xb1 version). So you are saying that you can see the animations transitioning quite obviously between their blend shapes (perhaps there are too few of them, or the way it morphs between the different states is just not well maanged). That I can be behind, but it could also be from an acting quality difference. A bad actor or actressw ouuld ahve more mechanical emotional transitions. Community threater... you know? I really think a single gif is far from the material to judge the animation transitions from.

I definitely see the moment though where his cheek skin catches and moves as he brings his hand away from his face. That is very nice looking indeed.

Are there any comparative moments in RoTR that exist to see if a similar deformation can occur?

I've explained it about 95 times in the thread of why I find the Nathan Drake one impressive. I'm answering those posts with simple answers because they're so clearly said in order to antagonize. I also like how they posted and basically said nothing except this looks more impressive and yet they weren't called out.
I still don't understand how we all got called out when their posts were just as inflammatory, I've explained myself several times in this thread, maybe I won't have to repeat it again.
I should have called them out directly too, you are right. Equally as contentless in posting, if not moreso.

Here you go though.

The Nathan Drake gif looks better because of several reasons, the attention to detail of his hand running around the rock wall in a realistic way. The way he pulls his skin and lips as he grabs his face and moves his hand down. The way he animates all together looks more fluid. The way his shirt wrinkles and looks like his muscle flexes as it bends. When he touches the rock wall his bones start showing as he presses against it. His face looks way more detailed. The Tomb Raider gif on the other hand looks stiff, Laura looks like shes made of plastic, her skin shaders look worse, and the lighting looks worse as well.
As much as I hate to say it, since you nicely took the time to respond, I am not really sure how these minute details can be deduced from a gif full of artifacting and micro-detail obscurrance... especially at the resolution it is presented at. Especially stuff like "muscles flexing as his arm bends", or as his "skeleton shows as his skin tightens on his fingers/hand". Is the gif not loading correctly for me at its proper resolution and length? idk.
Regarding skin shading and or lighting. I am not really sure what you mean by lighting and I really think the .gif is showcasing a completely different lighting situation in general with which to compare 1:1. A small point light casting shadows produces inherently different and less diffuse specular light in comparison to the "moon lit" drake. Saying the skin shading looks worse does not account for many factors which could be makiing the skin look the way it does in both. For example, if one of the characters is supposed to be wet or sweaty, or the differences in the light source producing different shading phenomena (i.e. tight specular vs. diffuse), or even the relative size and quality of the comparative media we have posted in this thread: all these things make judging pretty hard IMO, if not an exercise of futility. IMO, let's wait for the game to come out and we have direct captures and situations with which we can compare.

I still do think Nate's looks better in general though, but I would, as per the .gif presented, chalk that up to the performance and not necessarily some sort of technological reason. There is not enough info or comparative media to justify the latter.
I don't even think Genio88 represented Tomb Raider's animations as accurately as they are, because there have been moments in that game that look better then what he posted.
Probably. But I think a thread that just throws around .gifs in general as its purpose to illict responses is perhaps a poor thread in general (/shrugs).
No idea what sort of an explanation you're looking for (I mean, if they think it looks better, the think it looks better), but for one, I have no idea what the fuck Lara's feeling or doing or anything in the gif. With Uncharted Man, I could at least make a guess.
I have not played the game, but the human emotions I see expressed are puzzlement, worried reflection, and perhaps revelation. Lokos like she read something.
I have never played the game.
He said "one of the best", so why would you go some place else with this?
Yeah, I am placing it in a wider narrative I see on GAF. Perhaps I am reading into it too much, but I definitely think idea is prevelant for some unexplained reason.

CREMSteve

U4 only uses realtime. No more pre rendered.

Man, I just looked at that gif in the op on my phone and it looked ok. Then I opened it in its own tab and zoomed in on the details. Good lord, it's amazingly well done. The way the skin deforms when the hand touches it, the way his fingers literally run along the rough edges of the rocks and conform to the surface, so damn well done.

viHuGi

Banned
U4 only uses realtime. No more pre rendered.

Man, I just looked at that gif in the op on my phone and it looked ok. Then I opened it in its own tab and zoomed in on the details. Good lord, it's amazingly well done. The way the skin deforms when the hand touches it, the way his fingers literally run along the rough edges of the rocks and conform to the surface, so damn well done.

Welcome to Playstation power, 1st party Sony always bring the goods =)

foxbeldin

I honestly in the gif posted cannot really see the area where the facial skinning ends and the more static neck model begins (probably because the gif is low res and also from the xb1 version). So you are saying that you can see the animations transitioning quite obviously between their blend shapes (perhaps there are too few of them, or the way it morphs between the different states is just not well maanged). That I can be behind, although I really think a gif is far from the material to judge this upon.

Yeah i do see animations transitioning, maybe because i have a trained eye for it. Just like you, i haven't played the game (yet) so my opinion is made about what i'm being presented. I haven't watched much because i don't want to get spoiled. I do think Tomb Raider looks really good and i'm looking forward to playing it because i liked the 2013 edition. I even do think it's impressive but U4 makes an extra step here, so when someone says it's "already beaten" by some insecure fanboy, well, i have to say it isn't.

aravuus

I have not played the game, but the human emotions I see expressed are puzzlement, worried reflection, and perhaps revelation. Lokos like she read something.
I have never played the game.

I can see it, now that you mention it and I watched the gif again a couple of times, but I still have my reservations. I think the Uncharted one is still more immediately obvious, even though it's much subtler.

foxbeldin

Makes it all the more impressive! just incredible, If these things cut straight to gameplay i will pass out. If they fade to black, I will not be as impressed. (obviously different models being used)

Have you watched the E3 and PSX demos ? Straight from cutscenes to gameplay.
I do think they're using LOD though but i'd be surprised if TR didn't aswell. Maybe someone has the answer?

badb0y

I could tell RoTR was a game. I could tell Ryse was a game. This gif actually made me do a double take and wonder if this was real.

I barely even post these days especially on the gaming side but those gifs blew my fucking mind. Been going fairly blind for Uncharted for awhile now and I'm just stunned.

... also found it unsurprising the amount of people down playing and having to compare to other exclusive, things don't ever seem to change or mature.

nOoblet16

In game. All cutscenes are in game now.

They are real time cutscenes but that doesn't mean they cannot have higher detail than gameplay.
Animations seem pretty standard for a AAA exclusive these days. Looks real nice though.

You are wrong about the standard then.
Not many games have animation of this quality, also when it comes to facial animations keep in mind that in Uncharted they use face capture of an actor as a rough reference to (mostly) animate by hand (since they added facial capture quite late) a fictional character that look nothing like the said character. This is different from something like say, the main guy in Quantum Break, who is modeled after an actor who is also the one doing the performance capture for the character, and has far less "hand work".

Top Bottom