• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Nathan Drake GIF perfectly sums up how I reacted to this Nathan Drake GIF.

silva1991

So that's not at least as good as that?

kXQ6L4i.gif

Good character model, but the mouth and face animations and expressions look off to me.

I would but it's pretty pointless and not worthy.
Why are you whinging in the first place then?

Jesus, this thread is gold. Keep doing those backflips, people. I came in expecting to be not too impressed but everyone arguing that it isn't that great have been so awful at doing so it's actually convinced me how good Uncharted is.

Nev

Banned
drake_animation4_gif_by_raziel1992-d9uobqu.gif

This is realtime....Amazing! Yes it cuts straight to gameplay

Drake's face at the end of the gif makes the most believable expression I've seen in any videogame ever. The fact that his chin changes when looking down too is just wow.

Poor lemur doesn't look too hot though.

Kssio_Aug

In game. All cutscenes are in game now.

The cutscenes are no longer pre-rendered?

I mean... The exactly same level of details in Nathan Drake or whatever will be there when you're in control of the game?

I find it hard to believe. But if that's the case, I'm truly impressed!

I mean... The exactly same image level of details in Nathan Drake or whatever will be there when you're in control of the game?

We actually do not know how their LOD transition work (if and how many Drake has from the standard camera distance to further ones) works, but yeah, the cutscenes are real time.

Or did they talk about how they handle character LOD?
I don't remember because of all the blackouts. If only Jason was around to answer that.

Oh my.

NotMyPsn

Banned
Uncharted 4 animation looks like its made frame by frame, whereas rottr looks interpolated.
I'm just saying "how it looks"

I mean... The exactly same level of details in Nathan Drake or whatever will be there when you're in control of the game?

Seeing as seamless transitions occur between "cutscenes" and gameplay yeah it's all real time.

Probably a bit of detail will be lowered on Drake and other characters once your back in control.

foxbeldin

We actually do not know how their LOD transition work (if and how many Drake has from the standard camera distance to further ones) works, but yeah, the cutscenes are real time.

Oh my.

I think you can see a LOD transition in the psx demo, at the beginning when he turns his back, the gun holster jumps in position slightly.
But it's an old demo so it could have changed.

Kssio_Aug

Oh my.

Seeing as seamless transitions occur between "cutscenes" and gameplay yeah it's all real time.

Probably a bit of detail will be lowered on Drake and other characters once your back in control.

Got it! Thanks!

It's very impressive anyway though, and the animations are indeed in a whole new level of anything I've seen in games till now. This and Quantum Break.

SomTervo

kXQ6L4i.gif

I don't know what they're technically doing with it, but just looking at it is not blowing my mind like some people here. It's no more or less impressive than this.

24870907931_85fe4beff3_o.gif

Look at The Order or Tomb Raider as well. All are great looking games. I guess I just don't get the reactions here. This should be standard for cinematic games today.

These GIFs are phenomenal, too, but if you know what you're looking for, the OP Uncharted GIF takes things to another level - even if only due to the tiny extra steps taken.

It's all about the way his skin morphs, the way the body musculature reacts. The tiny millimetre by millimetre movements and details.

In RotTR and QB it looks like they mo-capped, then didn't tweak that much, and pasted on a face-cap, so the face and head/neck doesn't relate that much. In UC4 it's all seamless - mo-capped but then tweaked for tens of hours so that every muscle (shoulder, finger, neck, wrist, scalp, throat) is seamless with the rest of the model.

I mean, this is all phenomenal work, and I love RotTR and how QB looks, but UC4 is just that edge, that papercut above.

I need to stop looking at this, because I'll start noticing flaws like how his thumb hits the edge of a bounding box or something, abruptly ending the movement, and how his left hand sticks to the wall, and how his right index finger kind of flows outward like it's made of jelly. And that's the kind of anal retentive shit I don't want to start noticing when looking at games.

Ricky_R

Confirmed real-time, but we won't know for sure if both, cut-scenes and gameplay models, will actually be/look the same. Cut-scenes will possibly look better though, due to the extra light sources and such.

Javin98

Banned
Guys, to avoid the "outrage" and "downplaying", why don't we avoid terms like "not even close" and "on another level"? Something along the lines of "significantly better" will be received much better, I reckon.

SomTervo

Guys, to avoid the "outrage" and "downplaying", why don't we avoid terms like "not even close" and "on another level"? Something along the lines of "significantly better" will be received much better, I reckon.

OK. So does this work better for you:

These GIFs are phenomenal, too, but if you know what you're looking for, the OP Uncharted GIF is significantly better.

At the same time it's just a gif.

That's one of the reason I mentioned all we had to go off of was a gif, yet people are saying an unreleased game is "leaps and bounds" beyond an existing one in its entirety based on a compressed, 2 second gif.

You also have to be impressed by what ND are doing on the PS4 in comparison to similar PC games, seeing as we usually hear the PS4 is just a crummy low range PC.

You have to bear in mind ND do focus on detail more that most developers. It doesn't surprise me their facial and mo cap animations are highly meticulous and detailed. It's ND after all.

Floody

It's real-time now, I think it's because to video files talking up too much space and ND wanting completely seamless transitions from cut-scenes to gameplay. The cut-scenes will still look better, just due to them having full control on what you see, so they can increase the detail, but you probably won't notice much of a difference, unless you really look for them whilst playing.

Top tier animation as always from ND. If people are all for making comparisons, Ryse is up there.

Yeah, Ryse seems to be the closest from the gifs on display here. What's The Order 1886 like? Never played it, but It's probably up there, I remember the moustache tech being top tier.

Javin98

Banned
OK. So does this work better for you:
Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to educate or show anyone up. I'm just giving a suggestion to avoid unnecessary conflicts. But yeah, in my mind, "significantly better" will bring less disagreements and you still get your point across. If even that is unacceptable, then those who downplay are definitely being overdramatic.

SomTervo

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to educate or show anyone up. I'm just giving a suggestion to avoid unnecessary conflicts. But yeah, in my mind, "significantly better" will bring less disagreements and you still get your point across.

There's a key semantic difference between the two phrases unfortunately. My point was that even tiny improvements are enough to take it to "another level". So it's not "significantly better" - it's only slightly better, but that slight disparity is enough to take us over the crest of uncanny valley (imo).

But there's no beef here. All's good. I definitely see what you're saying. And I made sure to praise these other games because they are all showcases of phenomenal artwork.

Ryse is really an incredible looking game. I remember a cutscene near the end where I was completely flawed. The best i have seen this gen. WIll wait for uncharted to check that out too. I expect it (ryse) to be topped

*Floored?

;)

I haven't actually played it yet. Really looking forward to it when I get an XBO further down the line... Or is it on PC, too?!

Javin98

Banned
Ok now where did you get that from? :O
PSX 2015, bruh. It's been a few months and I think I've seen it being quoted a few times already.

There's a key semantic difference between the two phrases unfortunately. My point was that even tiny improvements are enough to take it to "another level". So it's not "significantly better" - it's only slightly better, but that slight disparity is enough to take us over the crest of uncanny valley (imo).

But there's no beef here. All's good. I definitely see what you're saying. And I made sure to praise these other games because they are all showcases of phenomenal artwork.
Well, you can definitely think that the facial animation is on another level compared to say, RotTR or QB. But all I'm saying is that for the sake of this thread and others, I think it's best we use more pleasantly received terms. That way, we can all have a reasonable debate without it dwelling into fanboy duel. I wasn't calling out your post BTW. Just a rough generalization.

The attention to detail in that gif is out of this world. If you focus on specific parts of the gif as its going its much easier to see why its so impressive.

Focus on his face, the wrinkles on his forehead, the wrinkles under his right eye and the flesh on his cheek as he brushes his hand over it.

Focus on the holster he's wearing, swinging around on the left hand side because he's leaning on the rocks and its not touching his body, while on the right hand side its sturdy but gets bumped as he brings his arm down after brushing over his cheek.

Focus on his hand, you can see his fingers do slight bounces and such as hes dragging his hand across the rocks due to it not being a smooth surface. Also the muscles moving and slight twisting of his wrist.

Look at his shirt, you can see the wrinkles completely change on his right arm from when he has his arm up to when it comes down making it look like real fabric.

There's so much to take in from that gif. Not to mention the raw detail that can be picked up from him moving and picking up different angles of lightling. Look at his forehead and you can see streaks of water pouring down. It's truly remakable.

Looking at that Lara gif, while it looks good, while compared to Uncharted 4 you can easily come to the decision on which one is a video game first.

Kssio_Aug

It's real-time now, I think it's because to video files talking up too much space and ND wanting completely seamless transitions from cut-scenes to gameplay. The cut-scenes will still look better, just due to them having full control on what you see, so they can increase the detail, but you probably won't notice much of a difference, unless you really look for them whilst playing.

Confirmed real-time, but we won't know for sure if both, cut-scenes and gameplay models, will actually be/look the same. Cut-scenes will possibly look better though, due to the extra light sources and such.

Since that's the game I'm looking forward the most recently, I'm trying to avoid watching gameplay trailers or whatever. That said I'm not aware of the cutscene to gameplay transition. It seems really, really impressive though!!

I wonder if the game will deliver the same feeling as Uncharted 2 did the 1st time I played. When Drake's hanging on the train and I wasn't aware I could control him already. LoL

Harlequin

I believe mostly making a VR dinsoaur game and VR mountain climbing :/

And Homefront: Revolution was originally started by them (though by a different branch than the ones that made Ryse) but they sold it to Deep Silver when they closed their UK branch (it's still mostly the same people from Crytek UK working on it but under a new name and in no affiliation with Crytek).

IvorB

kXQ6L4i.gif

I feel like the expressions in this are a tad overdone and almost Disney in a way with the exaggerated eye movement. It doesn't really have the subtlety or nuance that you see in the Uncharted clip.

The Ryse stuff looks better to me then QB or RotR. But then again, I've always been more partial to the subdued facial animation stuff rather then those that look a bit exaggerated.

Ryse is just a stunner all around.

Edit: IvoryB beat me to it. I have the same complaint about QB.

I feel like the expressions in this are a tad overdone and almost Disney in a way with the exaggerated eye movement. It doesn't really have the subtlety or nuance that you see in the Uncharted clip.

which fits perfectly with her
terrible
voice actress perfomance

Not everyone or every character needs to emote and react in subtle ways.

In the context of the scene Laura is verbalizing a translation and piecing information together. She isn't silently marshaling her thoughts as in the 2 second compressed gif of UC4. Not that context is needed. They're all well done animations.

Playsage

Goddamn, Naughty Dog! Stop one the fuck up everybody!
Seriously, I'm mind blown by all the things going on in that gif...

kXQ6L4i.gif

GiftedFlawlessAmericanratsnake.gif

The performance's of both are obviously night and day from one another but tech wise the shaders for Nates skin look like actual skin whereas Lara looks more plastic. Same goes for Quantum Break that has a better performance but skin still looks fake.

Top tier animation as always from ND. If people are all for making comparisons, Ryse is up there.
gdvwnv.gif

8_by_raziel1992-d6ubnne.gif

Lordy Ryse still looks amazing. I think that game visually is still at the top for X1 and hasn't been bested yet.

While we are not sure about how many LOD levels there are, it's very clear that cutscenes that don't have to transition to/from gameplay have considerably better lighting/shaders/whatever. In the E3 demo, compare Drake before he opens the door, which transitions to gameplay, to surprised Drake at the end of the separated-by-a-black-screen cutscene at the end of the extended demo.

just a little example of how the game shift from cut scenes to gameplay

Ewsc69j.gif

That shadow's a nice way to hide a transition, now that I think about it.

Nibel

The performance's of both are obviously night and day from one another but tech wise the shaders for Nates skin look like actual skin whereas Lara looks more plastic. Same goes for Quantum Break that has a better performance but skin still looks fake.

Yup, I agree. Nate looks way more 'fleshy'

Top Bottom