• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Nathan Drake GIF perfectly sums up how I reacted to this Nathan Drake GIF.

Mr Git

Wow, remember Tomb Raider 1 on pc? This kicks the shit out of that.

Well yeah, it's pretty amazing how far we've come in 20 years.

lpc-tombraider-3.png

:p

The gif in the OP really is something else. The alien fingers probably explain why Drake's such a good climber. Also considering I'm currently very LTTP and playing Evil Within, this is just leagues ahead.

Harlequin

^The logo placement looks a tad weird, the way its hiding his right arm, but other than that it does look pretty great. I much prefer the colour palette over the official boxart.

Wow, remember Tomb Raider 1 on pc? This kicks the shit out of that.

Are you talking about the 1996 game? Because that's what "Tomb Raider 1" generally refers to.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Always kinda annoyed when people would freak out over in-engine cutscenes because they didn't understand it wasn't in real time or what that even really meant. Not a problem anymore!

But in-engine cutscenes are real-time. It means they're running in the game engine, just not during gameplay (which means you can throw more power at the rendering, since there isn't much else to process). U4 has in-engine cutscenes, U1-3 had pre-rendered cutscenes running in an enhanced version of the game engine. "In-game" typically means it happens during gameplay, although it's a bit fuzzy.

Harlequin

Wait, is he referring to Tomb Raider 2013 instead? LOL, this whole time I was thinking he really was talking about the 1996 game.

I'm not sure, that's why I asked. The fact that they said "on PC", though, made me think they're talking about TReboot (because it really doesn't make that much of a difference whether we compare this to the PC version of TR1 or the PS1 or Saturn versions).

ironcreed

Banned
The PS4 is living up to it's billing this year. I have have enjoyed the Xbox One more thus far, but the tide is turning. Same thing happened last generation with the PS3 and it's exclusives. I just ended up enjoying the output there more.

cHaOs667

I absolutely love it when a Developer take care of great motion capturing and anmiations and as always Naughty Dog did not fail to deliver.

But, as already mentioned in this thread, the "old" Ryse had (still) great looking animations too.

Isn't it just mo cap? What is so good about it?

"Just mo cap" implies every mo cap is the same. Come on now.

There seems to be a lot of thought put in to how to make Nathan Drake sexually attractive to straight boys, which I'm all for.

I think I've mentioned this before, but if the multiplayer team is serious about using this last go at Uncharted to get some fan service out like Cogburn once said, then they really should have a Shirtless Drake skin.

Ricky_R

Drake's right arm being completely cut off by the logo kind of ruins it for me tbh. Fix that and it'd look great.

Haha yeah, that was unfortunate, but it was the only way (to me) for the logo to look good. Any other position and it didn't look right.

Harlequin

I think I've mentioned this before, but if the multiplayer team is serious about using this last go at Uncharted to get some fan service out like Cogburn once said, then they really should have a Shirtless Drake skin.

I'd prefer Speedo Nate... with jiggle physics :D.

jaypah

Some of these gifs are kind of fucking my head up, lol. I don't agree with the "no games is in this league!" hyperbole (it's an incremental step up from the norm) but I will agree that it's the most "alive" in-game characters that I've seen in a game.

The animation in u4 is my fav so far. The detractors should probably stick to ac unity and ryse rather than qb and tomb raider.

The specific tomb raider gif in this thread is reminiscent of a non-native english speaker having to use effort to annunciate her words. The mouth movement is too much. Makes it look unnatural. i wasnt a big fan of the animation in tomb raider in general.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not the best comparison shots but i just took those two screencaps from the trailers and it's definitely how you will play and not just a cutscene.

E3 2015 GAMEPLAY model, after that cutscene it switches seamlessly to gameplay.
2016-03-1008_23_36-wigzsxb.png

2016-03-1008_23_02-wivkscm.png

They have confirmed that while the cutscenes are realtime, they have extra effects and level of detail in characters models than they do in game. This is the level of detail you should expect ingame:

Also, ND hand animates the facial expressions which means you will never see something that meticulously animated during gameplay.

There is no doubt that the game looks phenomenal, but salivating over some beefed up cutscene is kinda bizarre.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
They have confirmed that while the cutscenes are realtime, they have extra effects and level of detail in characters models than they do in game. This is the level of detail you should expect ingame:

Also, ND hand animates the facial expressions which means you will never see something that meticulously animated during gameplay.

There is no doubt that the game looks phenomenal, but salivating over some beefed up cutscene is kinda bizarre.

Not anymore.

And you say that as if the gameplay looked bad.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I knew that this will turn into another U4 vs. other games thread. lol
It looks amazing, but it's not anything spectacular, new or unseen till now. Let's not exaggerate pls, that happens a lot here.

Edit:

This GIF doesn't even show the best of ROTTR and what it can do.
I love how every Naughty Dog thread brings out the same certain group of characters. Lol. You can still like your favorite timed exclusive, without having to downplay another game. Jesus.

Thought that was self evident.

I don't care about graphics on an action game that sacrifices performance for looks.

So pass.

I really hope you don't own a console. Course if you only game on PC then that I guess that makes your comment ridiculous either way.

Ricky_R

Not sure what does it being a cut-scene has to do with anything. They don't meticulously hand animate characters during gameplay because, most of the time, it would be a wasted effort. Still, face expressions during gameplay look quite good, just not cut-scene good.

Anyway, that doesn't take anything away from the length of effort that goes into how they're hand animating expressions and natural body movements of characters (on top of the mocap) in cut-scenes.. Hardly any other devs make characters animate that good. Cut-scene or not.

Jinaar

Can't we just all say games are great? I'm still impressed by RYSE; I can't wait to play UC4 and as well, just gush over the animations in SFV. I don't need to put any game on a pedestal to be wanked all over in relation to others. Sheesh people, love what all consoles/PC can bring to us.

Draft

Crazy that Ryse came out of the gate on Xbone hardware and still has cutscenes on par with the PlayStation 4 titles coming out 3 years later. Too bad the game is a piece of trash.

-griffy-

Banned
Nope. they still hand animate.

And I literally said that the game looks phenomenal. WTF?

They are definitely not doing 100% keyframing by hand on this one. At some point in the process they started using tracking markers on the faces and cameras mounted to the actors ala Avatar for the first time (or they already did, cause the capture sessions have been done for awhile).

nolan_north_heat.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I love how every Naughty Dog thread brings out the same certain group of characters. Lol. You can still like your favorite timed exclusive, without having to downplay another game. Jesus.
This post is hilarious because i am a huge uncharted, naughty dog and sony fan. Look at my PSN and XBL profiles and you will see how many of their games i have platinumed.

Just because i dared to point out FACTS the cutscenes feature more detailed and a different set of animations despite being realtime doesnt make an Xbox fan. This disparity in cutscenes/gameplay is my only issue with an otherwise phenomenal looking game. But go ahead and make your shitty black and white assumptions.

They are definitely not doing 100% keyframing by hand on this one. At some point in the process they started using tracking markers on the faces and cameras mounted to the actors ala Avatar for the first time (or they already did, cause the capture sessions have been done for awhile).
Right, but they have confirmed that their animators still go in and do their work after the fact.

Crazy that Ryse came out of the gate on Xbone hardware and still has cutscenes on par with the PlayStation 4 titles coming out 3 years later. Too bad the game is a piece of trash.

Ryse had pre-rendered cutscenes though.

LPride

Banned
GiftedFlawlessAmericanratsnake.gif

My goodness... New standard for animations?

These look really good. The thing nobody ever really talked about in MGSV was the animations even though they were incredibly good, and probably better than anything else.. ever? It just made the day to day playing of the game a dream, and makes the game look 10x better than higher graphical fidelity ever could. I was starting to worry that nobody cared. Good to see that there are other devs working just as hard.

Top Bottom