• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Nathan Drake GIF perfectly sums up how I reacted to this Nathan Drake GIF.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Uncharted 4 animations already beaten before coming out

kXQ6L4i.gif

http://i.imgur.com/kXQ6L4i.gifv

In what way does this resemble actual human facial animations. No really.

Just look at how it all moves. This is actually right in the middle of the uncanny valley.

BibiMaghoo

Games look amazing, you guys. Are you seriously debating right now which wrinkle looks more realistic and why the blinks of one person are better and more natural than the other's? Come on.

That is like, the entire premise for the thread, that this new animation is better than those that came before it. You can't really have an issue with that and still be in here lol.

Thats an amazing animation, not sure why people think the hand look like a tarantula. Hands are weird and very amazing at the same time.

BBboy20

just a little example of how the game shift from cut scenes to gameplay

Ewsc69j.gif
For some reason, I'm memorized by this, from the shirt to his hair (it's so brown)...Order (or is everyone saying Battlefront now) right now is the king of (console) graphics and while there have been doubts this game may beat it...for some reason, all the mundane stuff on this gif somehow wows me more.

God, we're making comparative comparisons to excellent looking games now; we are a spoiled bunch.

Angel_DvA

QB and ROTR are good looking games, no one can deny it but they missed all the details and tiny things that make ND on another level, the way he moves/breath, the way he blinks, the wrinkles on his forehead/under his eyes, etc... is just breathtaking.

I admire what they've done here, but it is very much uncanny valley for me. Not so much in stills, but in movement there is something unsettling (particularly noticeable in the tarantula hand, but really in all movement I've seen from this game).

I suppose the extent to which it seems creepy and unnerving is itself a hallmark of how close they've come to digitally recreating real looking humans and real looking human movement.

But is the technological advancement the point? I'd prefer something slightly more stylized that stayed well clear of the uncanny valley, and, for me at least, that would better serve the goal of getting me emotionally engaged in a character-based story. Photorealism is obviously where big-budget Western games are headed though, and eventually someone will come out on the other side, just hasn't happened yet I don't think.

Ricky_R

Of all the things I will be able to do in Uncharted 4, I just can't wait to walk around all the new and varied environments this game has to offer, while listening to the always amazing banter between characters.

NeoRaider

In what way does this resemble actual human facial animations. No really.

Just look at how it all moves. This is actually right in the middle of the uncanny valley.

Imo. GIF can't even show anything without the audio. There is nothing wrong with facial animations in this scene when you actually play the game, and know what it is about. Audio and voice emotions are very important part of the whole scene and for the "full picture".

That's one of the reason I mentioned all we had to go off of was a gif, yet people are saying an unreleased game is "leaps and bounds" beyond an existing one in its entirety based on a compressed, 2 second gif.

You have to bear in mind ND do focus on detail more that most developers. It doesn't surprise me their facial and mo cap animations are highly meticulous and detailed. It's ND after all.

I think it's the gif in conjunction with the two gameplay demos we've had as the reason why people are spazzing with excitement.

Still 30 fps though.

And?

IvorB

Not everyone or every character needs to emote and react in subtle ways.

In the context of the scene Laura is verbalizing a translation and piecing information together. She isn't silently marshaling her thoughts as in the 2 second compressed gif of UC4. Not that context is needed. They're all well done animations.

Yes, but it's the ability to convey complex emotions through subtle expressions that people find impressive. Even in real life acting this is the case. If you look at Nate's eyes in the gif, there's a lot going on and being conveyed without the need for telegraphing it through exaggerated expressions. Not saying the Lara clip is terrible or anything but it's just not really on the same level.

Give us smooth! Give us silky!
She's an incredibly rich, incredibly healthy early 20 something year old - I don't think her skin looks THAT out of place tbh.
Lara's facial animations really weirded me out. the lower part of her face looked paralyzed. It was the same for every character in that game.
Eh, I would disagree with you there. I would say sometimes Camilla's acting was overdone but overall I was really happy with the results.

Playsage

Imo. GIF can't even show anything without the audio. There is nothing wrong with facial animations in this scene when you actually play the game, and know what it is about. Audio and voice emotions are very important part of the whole scene and for the "full picture".

Adding the voice acting to that .gif would only make it worse

Hoo-doo

Banned

The audio and voiceacting don't make the animations human-like in any way.

It looks like a hand-animated marionette with select points of facial articulation that just don't integrate well.
Like she's just switching from 'facial animation preset #17' to 'facial animation preset #23' and so forth. It's in no way a lifelike animation.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
While we are not sure about how many LOD levels there are, it's very clear that cutscenes that don't have to transition to/from gameplay have considerably better lighting/shaders/whatever. In the E3 demo, compare Drake before he opens the door, which transitions to gameplay, to surprised Drake at the end of the separated-by-a-black-screen cutscene at the end of the extended demo.

That shadow's a nice way to hide a transition, now that I think about it.

Why would they use shadows to hide a transition when it's straight from cutscene to gameplay? There's nothing to hide.

On another note, if people really want to see how good ND are, try watching the scenes with the sound turned off. It's a revelation.

Markoman

The Lara Gif is far away from uncanny valley. The funny thing about that gif is: clean her up, replace the light and put some chessy music and vocals on top of that and this would be a scene from a possible CGI remake of Arabella, Beauty and the Beast and so on. Yeah, very Disney-like.

The tech in RoTR is great but the "acting" in that scene can't be compared to the OP gif.

SugarDave

I don't really get how it's meant to be mind-blowing or leaps above a lot of other great things we've seen in games but it does look bloody fantastic.

Anarion07

g7OU8q7.jpg

:D

?? I didn't find anything wrong with her voice acting in that scene, but maybe it's just me.

God I can't wait to play this on PS4.
But back to topic... I can't get over all that detail in their animation.

drake_animation4_gif_by_raziel1992-d9uobqu.gif

This is realtime....Amazing! Yes it cuts straight to gameplay

Just look at that lemur.
At the end of the gif he adjusts his hand on the guys head unconciously.. And you can SEE that unconciousness (And right now I'm a little weirded out by the English language since unconcious also means.. well.. unconcious as in knocked out)

Z3M0G

Beyond a standard... we can't hold everyone else to this... it would be too much.

This game... good lord...

Z3M0G

I love the explosion reaction animations in the MP as well (taken from the Making Of... Thread.)

kNjf78t.gif

HarshKindGraywolf.gif

Like, they're so smoooooth. I can't even tell where the animations begin and end it's done so well.

I find stuff like this MUCH more impressive than scripted cinematic animations... this stuff is happening in the heat of gameplay.

cameron

Judd Simantov is a character TD at Naughty Dog and a few years ago he gave a talk about the animation rigs used in TLoU. The rigs were fairly standard with the exception of a few extra features to give an animator more control to hit the desired perfect pose. The point he stressed was that the design philosophy was more about art than tech. An increase in facial joints and the addition of corrective blendshapes are only part of it.

I would assume the gif in the OP looks good because of all the care and the amount of time spent on it by a talented animator. The time spent per shot/cutscene is probably similar to that of animated feature film. It's a bit goofy when people say dumb shit like "thank you based MOVA" and froth over mocap tech they just learned about, when animators are still doing an insane amount of work for the final result.

Top tier animation as always from ND. If people are all for making comparisons, Ryse is up there.
gdvwnv.gif

8_by_raziel1992-d6ubnne.gif

And Ryse is a 2013 game. The first gif is all about subtlety. The second is all about exaggeration. Looks great in both. Again, more to do with talent and time rather than tech.

These salty comments, why? It's almost like some people are mad that this game looks this good, no comprendo.
Lara waifu defense force.

Top Bottom