• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Nathan Drake GIF perfectly sums up how I reacted to this Nathan Drake GIF.

Yeah i do see animations transitioning, maybe because i have a trained eye for it.

Do you animate or model characters for a living? You mentioned it in your post.

I mean, I can see what you mean as I mentioned, I am justn ot sure (since it is but one .gif), if that is just the actress being amateur (which would not surprise me) or if the transitions between set states is more fixed.
You are wrong about the standard then.

Yeah, the standard is probably like Dying Light / Far Cry / Call of Duty kind of stuff. Things like RotR, the Order, and UC4 among others represent a higher standard that is not the norm.

foxbeldin

Do you animate or model characters for a living? You mentioned it in your post.

Yes. I'm mostly about cg cartoons but i do have an experience working on a big AAA french motion captured videogame last gen that half of gaf hates and the other half loves. (can't give more clues than that).

LostDonkey

I think the lighting is fantastic.

Hyperbole to the max about the animation though, I don't think it's setting any new standards. I agree with the points about Tomb Raider and the Order- It's not knocking either of them back. They all look comparable in those stakes. Seems like every time something from ND pops up everyone comes out of the woodwork with the best ever, untouchable, on another level etc etc.

Very strange.

TBiddy

... also found it unsurprising the amount of people down playing and having to compare to other exclusive, things don't ever seem to change or mature.

For every post where you have someone screaming in joy, you'll have someone screaming in pain. It's just the way of the internet. Everything is binary and the only way to counter someone else being happy, is to be angry yourself, and vice versa.

That said, this gif is stunning. Then again, many things look stunning, if you compress an 1080p image to 360p. Let's wait for the final game, before judging.

I think the lighting is fantastic.

Hyperbole to the max about the animation though, I don't think it's setting any new standards. I agree with the points about Tomb Raider and the Order- It's not knocking either of them back. They all look comparable in those stakes. Seems like every time something from ND pops up everyone comes out of the woodwork with the best ever, untouchable, on another level etc etc.

Very strange.

I agree. It looks fantastic, but the hype is sometimes equal to the Beliebers hyping the next album from Bieber.

Cant wait to see what Doughnut Drake 4 looks like.

So that's not at least as good as that?

kXQ6L4i.gif

I really like the over all look the lack of any wrinkles and blemishes kind of weird me out.

Is that just because its a compressed GIF or does Lara make sure to put a bunch of concealer on before going Raiding?

Yes. I'm mostly about cg cartoons but i do have an experience working on a big AAA french motion captured videogame last gen that half of gaf hates and the other half loves. (can't give more clues than that).

haha. I think I have a pretty good idea of one of two games that could mean.

Would you say the experience was a wet one or was it more ethereal?
Is that just because its a compressed GIF or does Lara make sure to put a bunch of concealer on before going Raiding?

It is because lara is a minx.

Asd202

What strike me in that Uncharted 4 gif is how you can see the emotion of Drake it's just amazingly authentic something I can't see in that RoTR or QB gifs.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What strike me in that Uncharted 4 gif is how you can see the emotion of Drake it's just amazingly authentic something I can't see in that RoTR or QB gifs.

It's all those micro movements that make it feel authentic. They did it brilliantly in TLOU and they're going to be doing it better here.

SilentRob

That Uncharted gif lookes amazing.

Quantum Break and Rise of the Tomb Raider also look amazing. The Order looks Amazing. Ryse looks amazing.

Games look amazing, you guys. Are you seriously debating right now which wrinkle looks more realistic and why the blinks of one person are better and more natural than the other's? Come on.

Drackhorn

I don't think there are at this moment other studio's that could do this and at the same time that thought is a bit depressing.

Salty Hippo

That Uncharted gif lookes amazing.

Quantum Break and Rise of the Tomb Raider also look amazing. The Order looks Amazing. Ryse looks amazing.

Games look amazing, you guys. Are you seriously debating right now which wrinkle looks more realistic and why the blinks of one person are better and more natural than the other's? Come on.

This. To see people in this thread saying one gif is "not even close" to the other is simply mindblowing.

Some people are trying too hard... Of course Quantum Break looks impressive, guys.

That Lara, though... I've posted that exact gif before as an example of how unnatural it looked. But, it's Genio, so I'm not surprised.

Are you seriously debating right now which wrinkle looks more realistic and why the blinks of one person are better and more natural than the other's? Come on.

...okay, but this goes too far the other way. Of course we are. Why wouldn't we?

I've objected to her porcelain doll look since the first teaser. Dunno why some people let it get away with that when they say it's the prettiest game this gen (another thing they're wrong on).

Honestly I'm not surprised with what ND is achieving. After seeing what they managed on the PS3 with less than half a gig of ram (split into 2 pools to boot), and considering that lack of memory was always their main complaint, this massive increase in ram could only result in great things from them.
Their artists and animators in particular must be having a field day after having such tight constraints removed.

I played ROTTR on PC and I was gobsmacked by the detail in character animations. The London cutscene had be stop and recognize how well done facial animations were.

"Oh there is more going on in that UC4 gif"

Is there? They all look fantastic. It ain't leaps and bounds above pal, not objectively.

I played ROTTR on PC and I was gobsmacked by the detail in character animations. The London cutscene had be stop and recognize how well done facial animations were.

"Oh there is more going on in that UC4 gif"

Is there? They all look fantastic. It ain't leaps and bounds above pal, not objectively.

At the same time it's just a gif.

We'll be able to choose a more definitive graphics king between all these games when we play the entirety of UC4 because ND are being very cautious with revealing the more crazy environments and set pieces.

You also have to be impressed by what ND are doing on the PS4 in comparison to similar PC games, seeing as we usually hear the PS4 is just a crummy low range PC.

I knew that this will turn into another U4 vs. other games thread. lol

It looks amazing, but it's not anything spectacular, new or unseen till now. Let's not exaggerate pls, that happens a lot here.

If this is in-game -which I don't doubt- it does look impressive for a console game. I think Uncharted 4 will have the same Gears of War/Uncharted 2 effect where gamers were blown away by the visuals.

eso76

Yea, those animations are crazy impressive to me and simply the best I've seen.

Here are a couple of other GIFs:
goodman.gif

Everything looks bonkers except for Sam's shirt.
Devs should avoid having characters with loose open shirts / jackets etc. because the tech is not there yet to have the loose ends flap the way they should.
Not even ND can do much about this it seems.
When Sam bends or turns, the shirt looks like it's glued to the t shirt beneath, not like it's an independent piece of clothing.
Kinda breaks the illusion.

Aside from that, the gif in the OP is ridiculous.

Problem with ROTTR is Lara's hair looking like a wig especially since she might be covered in dirt, blood and semen but her hair will always looks clean and fluffy.

Ricky_R

I think it's fair to say that ND are at the forefront of animations, by a good margin. It's not only how well they animate, but how much effort the put into every little detail.

And it's not just cut-scenes. They put the same effort on all gameplay animations. They just excell in that department.

NeoRaider

If this is in-game -which I don't doubt- it does look impressive for a console game. I think Uncharted 4 will have the same Gears of War/Uncharted 2 effect where gamers were blown away by the visuals.

Sure it looks great and i will always say that it does. Every Uncharted game looked great for the time when it was released.

I just can't stand comments like: "Gods, This is another league, Nothing comes close..."

I think it's fair to say that ND are at the forefront of animations, by a good margin. It's not only how well they animate, but how much effort the put into every little detail.

And it's not just cut-scenes. They put the same effort on all gameplay animations. They just excell in that department.

Yep. UC4 beta animated better then most games I've played and the only other one that comes to mind that impressed me with gameplay animations recently was MGSV for certain stuff.

I knew that this will turn into another U4 vs. other games thread. lol
It looks amazing, but it's not anything spectacular, new or unseen till now. Let's not exaggerate pls, that happens a lot here.

Now the party's complete.

This GIF doesn't even show the best of ROTTR and what it can do.

Give us a better example, then.

Everything looks bonkers except for Sam's shirt.
Devs should avoid having characters with loose open shirts / jackets etc. because the tech is not there yet to have the loose ends flap the way they should.
Not even ND can do much about this it seems.
When Sam bends or turns, the shirt looks like it's glued to the t shirt beneath, not like it's an independent piece of clothing.
Kinda breaks the illusion.

Might be because it's a denim jacket. Drake's shirt does flap, for example, and I don't think it's just a protagonist thing because AFAIK it works just like Ellie's ponytail in TLoU, and that was on PS3.

You also have to be impressed by what ND are doing on the PS4 in comparison to similar PC games, seeing as we usually hear the PS4 is just a crummy low range PC.

Well... it is just a crummy low range PC.

The lighting on faces in the first one really is not as impressive as the second. The skin tones look pretty flat.

Lower lighting scenarios always look better. Compare pretty much any Driveclub track between sunny and overcast settings.

ND are the Fumito Ueda of human being characters :p

eso76

Might be because it's a denim jacket. Drake's shirt does flap, for example, and I don't think it's just a protagonist thing because AFAIK it works just like Ellie's ponytail in TLoU, and that was on PS3.

haven't seen Drake's shirt, but even then it's generally only the very ends that flap while basically everything that's not resting on his chest should be loose.
Tech s not here yet

Now the party's complete.

Give us a better example, then.

Well... it is just a crummy low range PC.

Lower lighting scenarios always look better. Compare pretty much any Driveclub track between sunny and overcast settings.

I just had a flashback to the Driveclub "where's the shadow" discussion.

Fun times...

Kureransu

drake_animation4_gif_by_raziel1992-d9uobqu.gif

This is realtime....Amazing! Yes it cuts straight to gameplay

This is impressive. Most people don't know what the small details are because they don't really pay attention to proper deformities and the like when people actually move.

What got me with this gif is the fact that he actually gets a small double chin when he tilts his head down. I don't think i've ever seen the skin deform proper like that in a game before. I know it deforms in the gif in the OP when his hands come across it, but for the skin to properly deform in the face doing natural movement is pretty awesome.

Not to mention the subtle parting of the lips when he notices something in the distance. It's something people often unconsciously do.

Top Bottom