• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This weeks ZOMG JP magazine NEWSSS (PERSONA 3!!)

duckroll

Speaking of WA5, I saw a preview a few weeks ago in Famitsu (I actually bought it for the Lost Odyssey demo) and they showed a giant mech walking around the map with some actions you could pull off with O too. Looked kinda cool, but after 4 WA games... I'm not sure what to think of the series. :(

duckroll said:
Speaking of WA5, I saw a preview a few weeks ago in Famitsu (I actually bought it for the Lost Odyssey demo) and they showed a giant mech walking around the map with some actions you could pull off with O too. Looked kinda cool, but after 4 WA games... I'm not sure what to think of the series. :(

Hmm.. which ones did you hate?

duckroll

DarknessTear said:
Hmm.. which ones did you hate?

I don't hate WA at all. It's just a totally forgettable mediocre generic first party RPG franchise. Nothing about the games strike me as them trying hard enough for me to give the series another shot. I've played WA1-3 and they all have similar problems. There's cool stuff but it's far and few inbetween, quite a waste really.

I like the puzzles, tool system, music, setting. In Wild Arms 1 I loved the whole Western feel until all of a sudden the sky shatters and demons come down and you go to all these neat kinds of ruins. I liked the personalities and dialogue, Zed and Boomerang are the best enemies ever.

Wild Arms 2 had good music and used the Tool system decently again but then there's the poor translation and the introduction of the search system which is something I wish they hadn't made.

Wild Arms 3.. I never completed it, I got to the end and then lost interest after I got lost for like a month at some stupid spot. It did use the tool system properly and everything, and I thought it looked prettier than people were saying.

Wild Arms 4 I didn't really get far in, I need to replay it and give it another chance. I didn't like the fact that there were no individual tools and I don't really like the hex system very much either. And they haven't been giving me much Michiko Naruke lovin' either.

Cedille

Wow, FFXII RW must be the most beautiful DS game ever.
The background would be pre-rendered illustrations by Kamikoryo who is the art directer for FFXII and FFXIII.

ethelred

duckroll said:
Too bad it's all blocked by Mr.Vendetta's anti-jeuxfrance rant though. :(

Yeah, that's unfortunate... but god damn, man, those backgrounds look absolutely wonderful. And much as I dislike the actual artwork, the in-game characters are fantastic. God, I am getting such an enormous vibe of FFT visuals look at this. Holy shit.

Ashodin

ethelred said:
Yeah, that's unfortunate... but god damn, man, those backgrounds look absolutely wonderful. And much as I dislike the actual artwork, the in-game characters are fantastic. God, I am getting such an enormous vibe of FFT visuals look at this. Holy shit.
You smell correct, sir! FFTA visuals merged with FFXII gameplay. FAPATON COMMENCE

Wow, Revenant Wings is sexy.

Aslo, Famitsu either hate a buttload of games or they're trying to screw more advertising bank from those companies.

Another week, another PS2 announcement that is more interesting to me than any other...

I guess Tekken 5 DR is the(/one of) Namco title announcement for PS3....uh...

FFXIIRW looks Heroes of Mana, at least the combat...so it looks good, I like :)

Ginko

duckroll said:
:lol @ the rant. Thankfully we're not stealing anything from Famitsuu.

Damn that looks amazing. I can see the Gambit in action in the lower images. No really, stunning!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll said:
Persona 3 Fes - PS2 - April 19 2007

Normal Edition + Append Edition
Price Undetermined
(Append Edition requires Persona 3 disc)

- 30+ hours of additional content
- Bulk of the content is the "Aegis Chapter"
- Hard Mode added
- Weapon synthesize system added
- Costume changes added
- 23 new Personas added
- Nagashima Shrine will have some "interesting" elements added
- New activities will be added to the school
- Characters which you have gained MAX in the Community with have additional events in this expansion
- It seems both Aegis and Elizabeth are now datable characters
- Some of the 23 new Personas are revealed: Lucifer, Kubanda, Mothman, Kahaku (I believe the new Personas are being done by a guest designer from SCE... or something like that)
- The weapon synthesis system is based on the Devil Summoner system
- The costume changes are outfits for the female characters
- There are many new anime FMVs for important scenes in the expansion
omg omg omg omg omg omg

P3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enishi

After CoM and FFIII, S-E again pushes the graphic of DS to another limit :O

How amazing can they do this. And I wonder how far they can do afterward...

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
:lol what? they both are published by the same company and have exactly the same kind of relationship with game publishers.

FYI, whether they take bribes are not is not the issue at hand here. When I lived other in Japan I'd read Dengeki PS each month and the difference between it and Famitsu is that while Famitsu reviewers are brain-dead idiots who put stuff like "umm..I like the color red in the game", Dengeki PS reviewers are intelligent and detail what works and doesn't work in each game and why they chose the scores they did.

While Famitsu is lol, I'd say all the Dengeki reviews I read were just as high quality, in terms of the reviewer being a gamer who knows what the hell he's talking about, as EGM/Gamespot/1UP/Edge/etc... Maybe they have shady relations with publishers, but Dengeki reviewers are harsh when harsh is needed and praise well when games are of high quality. I've probably agreed more with Dengeki scores than any other magazines US or JPN I can think of.

So yeah, it's not so simple as you may think.

duckroll

No scans yet, but I hear they made a special last minute addition to the reviews, giving it a stunning score of 10/9/9/10 (38/40). The reviewers were especially impressed by the ability to multiple threads in such short time periods, but they complained that during the multiplication the loading on the GAF console was rather slow. :/

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
FYI, whether they take bribes are not is not the issue at hand here. When I lived other in Japan I'd read Dengeki PS each month and the difference between it and Famitsu is that while Famitsu reviewers are brain-dead idiots who put stuff like "umm..I like the color red in the game", Dengeki PS reviewers are intelligent and detail what works and doesn't work in each game and why they chose the scores they did.

While Famitsu is lol, I'd say all the Dengeki reviews I read were just as high quality, in terms of the reviewer being a gamer who knows what the hell he's talking about, as EGM/Gamespot/1UP/Edge/etc... Maybe they have shady relations with publishers, but Dengeki reviewers are harsh when harsh is needed and praise well when games are of high quality. I've probably agreed more with Dengeki scores than any other magazines US or JPN I can think of.

So yeah, it's not so simple as you may think.
OK... I'm just saying because all we know are the scores now, and the Famitsu and Dengeki scores for Wild Arms seem about the same. Famitsu reviews seem to be written pretty simply and I don't agree with some of their scores, but often the Dengeki scores just seem to be a blanket of 75-90 and you can't really tell a great deal about the quality of the game from them. The text is another matter though, I agree.

Error

P3 P3 P3 P3 P3 P3 P3!!!!

duckroll said there are 5 pages on this, scans plz!!!

Error

btw the release date for P3 is now june 2007 so chances are... we are getting this wooooooo

Error

p3junege0.jpg

http://www.atlus.com/

Error

duckroll said:
Hmmm June's a little soon... are you sure they have time to translate all this:

a little soon? I mean it's Atlus USA branch, surely they must've known about this which explains why they didnt want to give a release date before...

duckroll

Error2k4 said:
a little soon? I mean it's Atlus USA branch, surely they must've known about this which explains why they didnt want to give a release date before...

Nah, I think they've decided it's less work to just localize the expansion pack and remove the rest of the game. 30 hours is plenty, you guys shouldn't complain! It's Eternal Punishment all over again! Mwahahahahahaha!

Remember, if I spread a rumor far enough it comes true!

Error

those scans are awesome <333333333

thanks duckroll

duckroll said:
Nah, I think they've decided it's less work to just localize the expansion pack and remove the rest of the game. 30 hours is plenty, you guys shouldn't complain! It's Eternal Punishment all over again! Mwahahahahahaha!

Remember, if I spread a rumor far enough it comes true!
;_;

we need NichM here to clarify this.

klee123

I thought the release date for P3 was meant to be Jan for the US release? So they've pushed the release date back because of of the append edition?

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
ooohhh, exciting news. I really dig that FF12:RW closely mirrors the style of FFT. If the system is even half as fluid as PS2 FF12, this is a definite get. I was curious to see if they would adopt the FF3 engine for RW, but I am pleased to see that they are going for the ultra-stylized 2-D route. Also, Persona 3 made me say WOW.

WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Error

klee123 said:
I thought the release date for P3 was meant to be Jan for the US release? So they've pushed the release date back because of of the append edition?
exactly, but we need confirmation! I know there are some Atlus people that post here plz confirm this is coming to the US.

duckroll

Okay I've read the entire preview and the interview with the director and character designer. Here are some details that will better explain what this "Append Disc" really is.

After Persona 3 was completed, the team sat down and thought about what they wanted to do for the fans before they went on to work on their next big project. They decided to study the feedback for SMT3 Maniax as well as what fans were interested in for a "Maniax" version of Persona 3. The result is Persona 3 Fes, with the Fes referring to how the game is pretty much a Fan Festival package targeted to meet the requests of those that enjoyed the game.

The Aegis Chapter takes place after the true ending of Persona 3 itself, and this is where the additional 30 hours of gameplay takes place. This expansion chapter will NOT forward the calendar of the game or work in the same way as the main game itself. Instead it is focused as a story and dungeon chapter with story segments and anime FMVs forward the story between dungeon segments.

As far as the storyline of the chapter goes....
It will be both a prequel and sequel to P3 in the sense that the focus on one hand is a new enemy that appears after the ending of the main story, but on the other hand to uncover the mystery of the new threat the characters will have to explore their own hidden pasts in previously untold flashback segments that reveal things about the characters not known before.

All the other elements of the expansion revealed previously takes place in the main game. I know this is bad news for those that don't want to replay P3 again (Bebpo ;_;) but that's how they've decided to do it.

To clarify, this means that upon starting a new game in any difficulty from this expansion, the new elements will be integrated into the game. This means 2 more datable female communities (Aegis and Elizabeth), 23 extra Persona, newly added events for character communities that have been maxed out, weapon synthesis at the equipment store, new things to do at the Shrine and costume changes for the characters.

Error

oh that sucks for people that dont like replaying games.

sounds hot tho.

<3 Atlus

Top Bottom