• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Nordic kinda disappointed by the Switch's power

Armchair Nintendo fans know a shit load more about programming and porting games over then you do THQ!!!

Yea... no really... yea....

Here we go again. Another generation of defending what is a fun and neat console but is far from its competition in actual muscle.

There's far more to performance than size. Anyone could make a massive world if they skimp on fidelity. Xenoblade X is the poster boy for those kind of gimmicks. If anything is "lazy" its that.

Imagine if Horizon were ported to Switch. The game would end up basically being an exclusive title considering the work needed to downgrade the game to run on Switch. That presents a serious money concern for devs on top of being a drain on resources and time needed for other platforms. None of that has anything to do with "lazy devs."

You're right. Nothing going on in the background of Xenoblade or BotW, or any other Wii U game. Especially BotW with its physics engine. Silly me.

And I couldn't imagine Horizon 3 on the Switch because they couldn't even optimized it properly for the PC. It was built around the Xbox, and it showed with PC optimization.

But the Switch is capable of a Horizon 3 like game if the code wasn't designed around the Xbox or PS. The Wii U had a damn fine Need For Speed;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUd_vUjyMWQ

Exclusives developed internally that obviously account for the Wii U's shortcomings? Yeah, it's a little different when you're talking about third parties that are trying to release on multiple platforms. If third parties are to do this, they're either expected to hold themselves back to make up for the Switch's shortcomings or they have to butcher their games. Asking third parties to do either is unreasonable and god help us if they design games for the Switch on a technical level.

The Wii U ran third party games just fine. Its not like Nintendo were the only ones getting good results with the Wii U hardware. It just didn't get very many third party games because it sold like shit, but the ones it did get ran and looked just fine. Did a good job with what indie games it got as well.

Raw numbers are 4GB LPDDR4 on Switch and 512mb for Xbox 360, correct? I'm not sure how much is usable on 360 but Switch has 3.25GB usable. I agree that Snake Pass' resolution sucks, could've used more time but I guess they wanted to have it out day one on all platforms. And framerates from hell in Lego City? Come on man, it's running at full 1080p docked with dips to 25-27, handheld mode isn't much lower from what I hear. If that's "from hell" to you don't even play Zelda in Korok Forest docked.

That poster is just going to ignore this post.

00ich

Yeah, I'm starting to think that to. Breath of the Wild is a way more graphically demanding game than Battle Chasers and it runs fine. Something doesn't add up.
yes, they just don't have the same budget. Battle chasers is a Kickstarter project realized in Unity. It would have never been made if it required Zelda-level amounts of money.
Also the Switch version is an afterthought, the core development team didn't plan for a weak Cpu.

Trace

Banned
I wonder how possible it would have been for Nintendo to make a 299 Switch powerful as the PS4

Take a slim PS4, make it 1/3rd the size and add a screen.

So not very possible or probable.

yes, they just don't have the same budget. Battle chasers is a Kickstarter project realized in Unity. It would have never been made if it required Zelda-level amounts of money.
Also the Switch version is an afterthought, the core development team didn't plan for a weak Cpu.

The main problem is Unity tbh. Runs like shit on every platform outside of PC, wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't get it to run well on the Switch.

Poppyseed

Whenever someone says to me that the Switch is weak, and that it should be more powerful, I'll show them this picture:

inside-switch-.jpg

And ask them where exactly they think the more powerful chips should go.

It usually also shuts down discussions about the battery.

We've know long before the Form factor of the Switch was leaked that an home-/handheld hybrid simply could not be as powerful as X1/PS4.

That is a ridiculous argument. The iPhone gets more powerful every year, despite being packed to the gills and getting thinner bit by bit as every year passes. There's also nm shrinkage etc etc. Come on now. That picture is irrelevant insofar as power evolution.

00ich

More developers not wanting to do the extra work or lacking the talent of actually doing it properly.
LazyDevs™

Has it crossed your mind that it might just not economically feasible to throw your code that's fine for Ps4, Xbox and PC out of the window and restart at zero to create a Switch version that looks roughly the same but has technically nothing in common?

bigpumbaa

The truth is Nintendo's hardware priority is Nintendo's primarily.

They're getting better at third party, but GCN showed them going for power parity wasn't going to help them.

Regardless, they've ALWAYS innovated in hardware in ways that alienated them from third parties. Carts. Small discs. Weird buttons layouts. Motion controls. THIS IS WHAT NINTENDO DOES. ITS NOT A MISTAKE, ITS A HISTORICALLY TRACEABLE COMPONENT OF THEIR DNA.

Wii showed them they could go it relatively alone and make a crap ton of money.

Wii U humbled em.

Now they'll likely get better than Wii 3rd party support (along with more indies and collaborations with third parties), but still aren't trying for parity.

Switch isn't about cramming a PS4 or Xbone experience into a tablet.

It's about a hybrid system at a decent price with decent battery life.

Something had to give. And it was raw power. That's okay. It runs quite possibly the best game in a generation or two just fine AS A LAUNCH TITLE.

Graphics ain't quality folks. And if they is, go with god and I'll be playing AAA stuff on the go alongside Splatoon and MK8 over A CELLULAR NETWORK.

Value propositions don't have to be mutually exclusive kiddos.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
THQ having issues with getting Battle Chasers to run smoothly? WTF?

But these also cost 2-3 times as much.

To consumers, but not to Apple ;). Nowhere near that. Their honest aim is 50% profit margins on products and they are not far off (profit margins should include more than just manufacturing cost in the equation).

KooopaKid

Banned
Switch is going to sell gangbusters this winter, with or without THQ or any other third parties. They are mostly irrelevant to Nintendo's success IMO.

If you want to be successful on a Nintendo console, you don't port PS4 games, you make original ones like Mario X Rabbids or games evoking old classics like Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight.

That is a ridiculous argument. The iPhone gets more powerful every year, despite being packed to the gills and getting thinner bit by bit as every year passes. There's also nm shrinkage etc etc. Come on now. That picture is irrelevant insofar as power evolution.
Sure, but do you think a Switch costing 900 bucks would be a succes?

Mr Swine

Banned

So where is the fan going to be so the GPU/CPU doesn't throttle when you are playing advanced games? Or are you saying that the handheld console is going to be downclocked so much that it doesn't throttle at all?

oti

Banned

Using the iPhone as an example in this case is HILARIOUS.

qko

Except we don't have AT&T's and Sprint's and Verizon's to subsidize the price of a $650 piece of tech.

Having just received my Switch yesterday and playing a little Zelda, I'm quite impressed with the systems power. Nintendo's studios can create some beautiful looking games on the given hardware.

However, anyone expecting the likes of Destiny 2 or Anthem on Switch is forever setting themselves up for disappointment.

The Switch doesn't need such games to thrive though.

Trace

Banned
So where is the fan going to be so the GPU/CPU doesn't throttle when you are playing advanced games? Or are you saying that the handheld console is going to be downclocked so much that it doesn't throttle at all?

To be fair the Switch already has a fan, it vents out the top.

I still don't understand why whenever people mention ports, they talk about PS4 or XB1. PS3 and Xbox 360 should be the goal. Now if the hubbub is that Switch can't handle those games, we've got the makings of a good conversation.

The era of developing last gen ports of current gen games is basically over though so companies are going to be less inclined to dedicate resources to building that level of game for the Swtich. That's the trade off with the type of relatively unique console The Switch is.

Durante

What many people in this thread seem to either fail to understand or don't want to understand that this is not always, or even often, a question of fundamental theoretical capability.

Its a question of whether it makes economic sense to port your existing game. And if a platform is significantly slower than what you targeted so far, then that increases the cost of producing a decent port, which means that your potential payoff needs to be larger to justify that. That's all there is to it.

00ich

If you want to be successful on a Nintendo console, you don't port PS4 games, you make original ones like Mario X Rabbids or games evoking old classics like Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight.
Nintendo already had a product for your expectations: the WiiU

giapel

I swear some people would rather see Nintendo release Scorpio hardware only for then to say it's doing nothing different so what's the point?
Do 3rd parties really think that by having the same hardware and features across 3 platforms would magically increase the market and make their games sell better?

Lol. The Switch is way more powerful than a Xbox 360 and a PS3. MUCH better CPU, GPU and 8 times the RAM (which is faster too).

If Rise of the Tomb Raider is possible on Xbox 360 with such great graphics then every game is possible on the Switch.

xrnzaaas

That is what I thought when I see Breath of the wild and Odyssey.

It's one thing to develop an exclusive for a certain system and another to optimize a multiplatform title for a certain console, especially one that's the weakest of all.

Let's see how Skyrim will look and run on the Switch in its final build, it should be a nice benchmark on what kind of performance to expect from third party ports.

giapel

What many people in this thread seem to either fail to understand or don't want to understand that this is not always, or even often, a question of fundamental theoretical capability.

Its a question of whether it makes economic sense to port your existing game. And if a platform is significantly slower than what you targeted so far, then that increases the cost of producing a decent port, which means that your potential payoff needs to be larger to justify that. That's all there is to it.
Then don't target your games to the most powerful hardware. Indies don't. Blizzard doesn't. In fact, nobody does, because most games are specced for mid range PC's anyway.

Trace

Banned
Then don't target your games to the most powerful hardware. Indies don't. Blizzard doesn't. In fact, nobody does, because most games are specced for mid range PC's anyway.

No one targets the most powerful hardware, everyone targets PS4/Xbox One. Switch is significantly slower than those which makes it harder to port a PS4-targeted game to Switch. Simple as that.

Saoshyant

THQ Nordic? The guys who grabbed a DS game (portable 2004 hardware), ported it to PS4, and somehow managed to have said game (Locke's Quest) have performance issues?

Yeah, with that in account, I imagine it would be impossible for them do any Switch work.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You're sure that the Switch could decently run games like Battlefront 2?
It probably could at extremely run down settings etc. I not talking about the switches power here more that Dice are technical wizards and I wouldn't be surprised if they could manage it but I don't see why they would even if possible.

Raw numbers are 4GB LPDDR4 on Switch and 512mb for Xbox 360, correct? I'm not sure how much is usable on 360 but Switch has 3.25GB usable. I agree that Snake Pass' resolution sucks, could've used more time but I guess they wanted to have it out day one on all platforms. And framerates from hell in Lego City? Come on man, it's running at full 1080p docked with dips to 25-27, handheld mode isn't much lower from what I hear. If that's "from hell" to you don't even play Zelda in Korok Forest docked.

Docked is absolutely fine, to be honest, I was impressed how good it runs docked.

The handheld mode however is from hell, I have it, I even played Zelda, imagine Korok Forest constantly, that's LCU in handheld. It's constantly like 20fps and lower if you move the camera to the city and if you boost it feels like slow motion it's horrible, absolutely horrible.

You're sure that the Switch could decently run games like Battlefront 2?

Not with the same resolution, geometric detail and lightning as on Xbox One and PS4. But that's logical.
But we are talking about a device that is as small as a 3DS (without Joy Cons).

Has it ever been speculated that the Switch is intentionally under/differently powered compared to current-gen consoles in a ploy to have devs make Switch specific games that can easily be ported to more powerful consoles versus receiving downgraded ports, Or having console exclusive games?

Asking for a friend

That'd be a pretty dumb move that wouldn't work

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
THQ Nordic? The guys who grabbed a DS game (portable 2004 hardware), ported it to PS4, and somehow managed to have said game (Locke's Quest) have performance issues?

Yeah, with that in account, I imagine it would be impossible for them do any Switch work.

Haha this for real?
Guess i'm ok without THQ.

Tbh i thought they went bankrupt ages ago 😂

Take a look.

Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One and 360.
Doesn't look that bad on 360 right?
And that's a console that has 8 times less RAM than a Switch, way slower CPU and GPU and rather ancient stuff inside.

rise_of_the_tomb_raider_comparison_11.jpg

rise_of_the_tomb_raider_comparison_3.jpg

That's completely ridiculous...

They aren't going to create underpowered games for the PS4 and Xbox One just so it's easier to port to the Switch

Shiggy

THQ is one of the biggest third party supporters of Switch. This seems to be more about their bigger projects (Elex, Darksiders 3). Their ports of smaller Games and remasters should still happen, just like Sine Mora Ex and This is the Police.

Most AA and AAA games are spec'd for current gen consoles. That's the category most of THQ games fall in.

On topic.... I think the Switch is absolutely a fantastic product. I just am not a fan of them claiming it's a home console. It's really not. It's a handheld with a tv dock that provides more power to run at a higher clock. I think a lot of people's frustration is the fact that Nintendo didn't make a true home console this gen. That's completely fine and it's obviously been a financial success for them. You just can't please everybody.

Top Bottom