• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

thread of PS3 Shuukan ToroStation indecipherable weekly awesomeness

lupinko

August is Toro month for me, 1000th Toro Station ep and to celebrate I'll pick up Toro to Morimori and the Toro movie! =O

WYWY

PS Asian site lists the Asian version of Morimori to be released on August 13.

This of course, is the version reported to have Chinese/English subtitles, and probably cheaper than the JP version.

Of course the language barrier doesn't exist for those who have been following the series... so it's really for the price-conscious among us to see how much cheaper is the Asian version.

WYWY

Oh wow, the 1,000 episode surprise special guest is....

Ken Kutaragi
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a reasonably good episode, with many of the 'regular guests' making appearances, though not like 'awesome great'.

Wonder what special event they have lined up for the 2nd anniversary. The episodes for the 24 hour marathon were good, but on the whole viewers don't want a repeat (as shown in a survey result episode), probably due to the amount of fatigue involved.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lupinko said:
August is Toro month for me, 1000th Toro Station ep and to celebrate I'll pick up Toro to Morimori and the Toro movie! =O

I really wish Toro was marketed worldwide.

Why does SCEE/SCEA/SCEWHOEVER hate Toro fans outside of Japan? :(

Kuran

Banned
I wish it werent so, Mainichi Issyo is a significantly less embarassing and more entertaining effort compared to Home. I am sure Nintendo proved the naysayers wrong with the cutesy Wii avatars.

TheSeks

Kuran said:
I wish it werent so, Mainichi Issyo is a significantly less embarassing and more entertaining effort compared to Home.

Honestly, I feel the two can co-exist. Just Toro should be put in more games/brought out in the US with a home simulation game or something. I don't really mind not knowing what the interviews are talking about in Mainchi, but I'd like to at least know what the menus/options for arcade games/the apartment was. :lol

Though, honestly. I'd settle on SCEA giving us American's plushes of Toro and having NISA port Toro to Disgaea 3/2 US. (Apparently SCEJ said "LOL NO" to them coming to Disgaea 3. The assholes. :()

AndyD

aka andydumi
Or at least an HK version in English. But I guess it would significantly increase their costs to produce these daily episodes in two languages.

WYWY said:
Oh wow, the 1,000 episode surprise special guest is....

Ken Kutaragi
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a reasonably good episode, with many of the 'regular guests' making appearances, though not like 'awesome great'.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/08/04/kutaragi_toro_station/

Watching it right now ^^
VC-Edy, Yakuza-Kazuma, Katamari-King + Ueda and Ken (in a very nice shirt :lol )

:D

Guess I have to buy the english Toro Let's Party Version when I see a good deal :lol (the japanese one bombed hard IIRC?)

edit: aaand done
xkt55k.jpg

CamHostage

TheSeks said:
I really wish Toro was marketed worldwide.

Why does SCEE/SCEA/SCEWHOEVER hate Toro fans outside of Japan? :(

Yeah, even if they didn't do the whole franchise and had just ported this little communication app (and maybe made some modifications, not to the Toro characters but just to how much American-familiar characters like Kratos or the Hot Shots caddy made appearances,) I think it could have been a hit on its own. The minigames are sloppy but still enjoyable, the collection elements are fairly addictive, the characters are adorable, the weekly news and communication is a nice service that would have shit on that useless Info scroll, and the execution is a little different from Home (although Home could be programmed to do a similar function, if Sony thought it through about producing a "Home Show.")

I don't see much chance of Sony doing it now (although it's never too late, Sony!) but it could have been a nice app in the early days of PS3. It's also a good lesson for Qore of some things that are being done elsewhere a little better or more efficiently (though Qore has its strengths too) that maybe the US side of Sony could learn from?

I think it wasn't posted yet, but Mainichi Issho will be replaced by "Weekly Toro Station" on November 11th (savegame can be transferred).

You will have to download Weekly Toro Station (for PS3 and PSP) from the Japanese PS Store (it will be a free download again), it's not a patch. The old app will be removed from the store at the same time, the support of it (licences etc.?) early next year IIRC.

quite a nice article about it:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/11/04/toro_and_kuro_are_homeless/

I'm watching the last news at the moment, don't want to miss the departure from Toros house :lol
though someone also used the ingame-youtube-recording for this news in case you don't want to bother starting the app:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP06hcJU11U
(damn, just now that I found out in Toro Let's Party how he got it ^^)
It's the October 31th news, though they seem to continue till the 11th?

the two main differences seem to be the weekly instead of daily news but (maybe a whole program?) and a Platinum Member status if you pay 800yen per month :lol :lol

premium benefits:
* The ability to view past episodes of Weekly Toro Station
* A special members-only news update
* Early access to the Weekly Tory Station broadcast (every Friday at 18:00 instead of late at night)
* Access to extra items at the in-game shop
* Fashion show access (was free till now?)

also, thx to the premium people Toro(&Kuro?) will live in a house:
vpjek2.jpg

while the dirty poor non-paying peasants are homeless / have no house :lol
hvrxus.jpg

lupinko

Well if there are any Premium Member related trophies, it would be like the Misato News Service, i.e. only your Japanese account could get said trophies as it requires a subscription that only obviously exists on the Japanese PS Store.

lupinko said:
Well if there are any Premium Member related trophies, it would be like the Misato News Service, i.e. only your Japanese account could get said trophies as it requires a subscription that only obviously exists on the Japanese PS Store.

And they wouldn't be free then ;)

I think they will do a mix, in contrast to Misato News the main functionality is available to everyone (maybe even the x number of watched news thing again, but if you are not a premium user you could only watch the current one of the week)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So, the people who don't pay to use this are being downgraded to living in a cardboard shack? That's nice of them.

Replicant

SolidusDave said:
while the dirty poor non-paying peasants are homeless / have no house :lol
hvrxus.jpg

WTF? So there'll be a lot of homeless Toro(s) and Kuro(s) then? Who thought this would be a good idea? Economic downturn and all, they still have to provide space for those 'homeless' area.

TheSeks

Well, I moved. Dunno what the option choice for the episode was, but I chose the top option. Hopefully I keep my stuff for my cardboard home. :( :lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
does any kind mod want to change the title of this thread to reflect the new name and/or the new homelessness of most of our poor non-paying toros?

TheSeks said:
Well, I moved. Dunno what the option choice for the episode was, but I chose the top option. Hopefully I keep my stuff for my cardboard home. :( :lol
in all-japanese games like this, i'm just conditioned to choose 'hai' :lol

Kuraudo

Banned
On second thought, maybe I should have sold my collection of gaming memorabilia to pay the rent.

-2009_11_1119_42_50.jpg

Hate the new place. Posters just sort of float half over the wall you're given and there's nowhere near as much room to put things.

To rub it in even more, you're given a model of your old house when you play for the first time :lol

TheSeks

Darkpen said:
It really sucks ass that I know have a game in my trophy list that will never get 100% complete. Shit's stupid :(

Well, it's the first one on the PS3. 360 has Chromehounds (in 2010/Jan) shutting down (maybe some other sports games and old EA titles?).

Anyway, one of the episodes this week is a tribute to Team ICO (at least as far as I can see, don't speak/read Japanese so I'm just watching them go at it. :lol )

Toro will hold your avatar cat by the hand through the ICO portion, and then a Giant Koro comes out for Shadow of Col. :lol :lol

robox

the team ico tribute was pretty neat.
and i wish i could understand the interview with fumito ueda.

the miku thing was kinda amusing as well. what with kuro getting miku to sing all those songs about him and toro and mr. tv. and you get a poster for it.

Yama

Where do you go to transfer the Mainichi Issho save? I still have nothing in my collection in the new title.

Yama said:
Where do you go to transfer the Mainichi Issho save? I still have nothing in my collection in the new title.

It did mine automatically. But there was some news that if you didn't do it release day or something then you lose it all (I don't recall the exact details). Do a search on neogaf as someone made a warning thread about it.

No idea if it was true or not.

kiryogi

Banned
Might make a new topic, might not. But with it going weekly I guess I'll try to update weekly in here or some other topic.

Episode 001: Featuring Trico w/ Fumito Ueda and Project DIVA Arcade!

The first portion features an interview with Ueda on his next big project: Trico! (The Last Guardian)

The 2nd portion features some hijinks with Toro and Kuro interacting with the infamous Vocaloid Hatsune Miku and also unveiling Project DIVA Arcade. They also unveil a Project DIVA gashapon machine that you can raid at the game center. It ends with Miku performing "miku miku ni shiteageru" with the Toro and Kuro dancing along. Also, viewing this portion will score you a Project DIVA poster for your room.

Third portion has Toro station parody/take on the Ico and Wanda with your nyavatar being yorda/wanda. Producer-san acts as the fiends in Ico, while Kuro is a collousus in Wanda. Hijinks ensue while giving a little background on the 2 games.

And that covers it for this week (´∀`)ノシ

TheSeks

kiryogi said:
Might make a new topic, might not. But with it going weekly I guess I'll try to update weekly in here or some other topic.

Episode 001: Featuring Trico w/ Fumito Ueda and Project DIVA Arcade!

The first portion features an interview with Ueda on his next big project: Trico! (The Last Guardian)

The 2nd portion features some hijinks with Toro and Kuro interacting with the infamous Vocaloid Hatsune Miku and also unveiling Project DIVA Arcade. They also unveil a Project DIVA gashapon machine that you can raid at the game center. It ends with Miku performing "miku miku ni shiteageru" with the Toro and Kuro dancing along. Also, viewing this portion will score you a Project DIVA poster for your room.

Third portion has Toro station parody/take on the Ico and Wanda with your nyavatar being yorda/wanda. Producer-san acts as the fiends in Ico, while Kuro is a collousus in Wanda. Hijinks ensue while giving a little background on the 2 games.

And that covers it for this week (´∀`)ノシ

In the Project Diva episode I thought Koro was being a pervert given the way he (she?) was acting. Then Toro slides the door to the Cardboard house open and Koro is all "!!!!" :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sometimes, not knowing what they're saying makes it more funny/cute/endearing to me. :lol

And the music act was a nice change. I think it's the first time Torostation did a live-background.

Yama said:
>>Transfer<<

Mainichi Issayo->News->Top one (unless it's been deleted, apparently it was a one time thing), watch Toro/Koro Pack. You'll get given a question (dunno what it is) and then you're done moving, basically.

Boot up Weekly Toro, you should have your items and stuff.

kiryogi

Banned
TheSeks said:
In the Project Diva episode I thought Koro was being a pervert given the way he (she?) was acting. Then Toro slides the door to the Cardboard house open and Koro is all "!!!!" :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sometimes, not knowing what they're saying makes it more funny/cute/endearing to me. :lol

And the music act was a nice change. I think it's the first time Torostation did a live-background.

Mainichi Issayo->News->Top one (unless it's been deleted, apparently it was a one time thing), watch Toro/Koro Pack. You'll get given a question (dunno what it is) and then you're done moving, basically.

Boot up Weekly Toro, you should have your items and stuff.

I figured Kuro was a pervert after watching the Idolmaster SP episode. He was being a super big hentai as they put it rofl. Kept getitng BAD COMMUNICATION with every single girl :lol. I love these cats.

Zoe said:
Toro's had to tell Kuro to tone it down before or else Cero would up their rating :lol

meh, so it IS funnier if you can understand it :/
(also, Toro Let's Party would have needed more of this kind of humour)

kiryogi

Banned
This week!

First portion - Macross Frontier! Toro and Kuro promote the Macross Frontier roadshow and meet Shoji Kawamori! And what does meeting a famous designer usually mean? They get a sketch based on them! Yes! We get a sketch from Kawamori featuring our favorite cats. They also go a bit into the Macross series history, and explaining which were actual series or OVAs. Also go into the some of the very influential songstresses. But not only that, in the end you'll also get a Macross Frontier Roadshow promo poster.

Second Portion - Atelier Rorona! Wait a minute, this game's been out for awhile >_< That said! Our two cats get to interact with the world of Rorona and meet heroine. They go through the game mechanics and introduce different characters. Watching this portion will net you a Rorona poster.

Replicant

Well, I didn't move so I still keep my old house in Mainichi Issho. I am not sure if I can still read some old news but at least the cat is not homeless. :(

TheSeks

kiryogi said:
This week!

First portion - Macross Frontier! Toro and Kuro promote the Macross Frontier roadshow and meet Shoji Kawamori! And what does meeting a famous designer usually mean? They get a sketch based on them! Yes! We get a sketch from Kawamori featuring our favorite cats. They also go a bit into the Macross series history, and explaining which were actual series or OVAs. Also go into the some of the very influential songstresses. But not only that, in the end you'll also get a Macross Frontier Roadshow promo poster.

Shows what I know. I thought it was Gundam at the time I was watching it. Not too many Mech anime shows for me, obviously! :lol

Replicant said:
Well, I didn't move so I still keep my old house in Mainichi Issho. I am not sure if I can still read some old news but at least the cat is not homeless. :(

The application will self-destruct not boot up (IIRC) after April 2010. So if you want your Toro items, I'd suggest hitting the Toro news option and the (only option in the archives) hitting the top option on the list to move ASAP.

Replicant

TheSeks said:
The application will self-destruct not boot up (IIRC) after April 2010. So if you want your Toro items, I'd suggest hitting the Toro news option and the (only option in the archives) hitting the top option on the list to move ASAP.

NOOO. So my cat will be homeless regardless? This is really cruel, Sony!

TheSeks

Replicant said:
NOOO. So my cat will be homeless regardless? This is really cruel, Sony!

I think it's Sony Japan's answer to international people using Toro to get free trophies, though. You can't buy anything from the Toro store unless you're Japan IP located. :lol

Replicant

TheSeks said:
I think it's Sony Japan's answer to international people using Toro to get free trophies, though. You can't buy anything from the Toro store unless you're Japan IP located. :lol

So even if I move, I can't buy a house for my cat. :(

Someone needs to file this under 'animal abuse' and report Sony.

Giving you a toy model of the house you "could" own seemed exceptionally cruel in the moving in scenes :lol

They could have at least made the back wall fence as tall as the tallest posters in the inventory, it looks downright stupid putting them up on thin air.

mattiewheels

any mods with a kind heart and thread title-changing abilities:

'thread of PS3 Shuukan ToroStation indecipherable weekly awesomeness'

or, even more poignant:

'thread of PS3 Shuukan ToroStation indecipherable weekly homelessness'

kiryogi

Banned
mattiewheels said:
any mods with a kind heart and thread title-changing abilities:

'thread of PS3 Shuukan ToroStation indecipherable weekly awesomeness'

or, even more poignant:

'thread of PS3 Shuukan ToroStation indecipherable weekly homelessness'

I'm for the homelessness one. It's so true and tragic.

TheSeks said:

it's not IP protected/regulated, you just can only buy stuff with a japanese PSN account because it's only up in this store, with other PSN accounts it will link but won't be able to find anything as it's looking in the wrong(=local) store.
This is similar to loading up a US PSN game demo and trying to unlock it while playing on a PAL account.
Sadly, likewise Home the stuff&licences etc. can't be used by other accounts on the PS3 in contrast to game DLC/addons.

Nevertheless, I still won't buy a 800yen monthly subscription for it :lol (and I don't want so play with my jp account)

mattiewheels

It almost feels like they're trying to shake off the people in foreign regions :lol I wonder all the time what they think about Americans like me with zero japanese under their belt using being a big fan.

kiryogi

Banned
A little update to this week's broadcast:

The third portion features a bonus interview with Kawamori. He goes in a bit more detail on the different valkyrie designs in the Macross series.

And the final portion as always winds down on how this week went, but the big thing here is, next week's Toro Station will be on Phantasy Star Portable 2! I wonder what they'll do! It's already been mentioned they'll actually be guest stars in it in a cameo form.

kiryogi

Banned
Toro Station 11/27

First segment: Phantasy Star Portable 2! Toro and Kuro go over the details of the next entry in the Phantasy Star Online franchise. Kuro pretends to be different chars from all the races and fools Toro for a bit. But that's not the only silly bit, it turns out the both of them will be appearing in it as partners that'll fight alongside with you.

Second segment: Kuro's at it again with his fandom and perversions. Our cats get to meet the cast of the current anime series "Toaru Kagaku no Railgun". As always hijinks ensue where Kuro gets owned by the various powers the girls have. They also get to meet the producer. Finishing off this segment will net you a railgun poster.

Next week: Kuro will be going into Demon Souls!

Just a reminder if no one has realized it, you can't watch older episodes for the items if you're not a platinum member.. So make sure to watch them the current week when they're posted.

mattiewheels

i like that new thread-title smell.

kiryogi

Banned
Toro Station 12/4

First segment: Take ride back in time with the two cats as they celebrate Dengeki Playstation's 15th anniversary. Kuro educates/quizzes Toro on Dengeki Platstaion's past and present. A lot of japanese gaming and magazine history is delved into here. As you can assume, it's a very lengthy watch. But lots of neat trivia tidbits you'll learn form it. From when play-tan was born to Toro's first debut. Of course, all the major marks in Sony history are there. Such as FF7. PS2 and PS3. And actually what's really entertaining was they showed Sega finally joining the forray in 2001. Anywho, watching this will net you a play-tan poster depicting the 15th anniversary.

Second segment: Kuro takes us into the world of Demon Souls! Actually, Toro is the poor sap that gets that role, while Kuro guides him. Silly hijinks ensue of poor Toro getting owned by some gigantic demon. Of course, they go into the finer details about the game besides acting silly about it. At the end tho. Televi-san gives us a flashback of Kuro's first time of playing Demons souls. He starts right off with creating a girl character and then learns about all the customization. 3 hours later, he's still at it! You get to see his character and he comments about "What kind of creature is this?!". 5 hours later Kuro finally manages it. :lol Then things get rolling and he gets to the same demon that owned Toro earlier, and ends up dying as well. But he loves it.

Third segment: Were you paying attention to the first segment? Well it's your turn to take a quiz now. Clear a 10 question quiz to gain some myale and also get the Dengeki Playstation 15th anniverasry Sony logo. Which is made up of all the Playstation systems and controllers that were ever made.

Next week: Cencoroll and Modern Warfare 2!

TheSeks

kiryogi said:
Toro Station 12/4

First segment: Take ride back in time with the two cats as they celebrate Dengeki Playstation's 15th anniversary. Kuro educates/quizzes Toro on Dengeki Platstaion's past and present. A lot of japanese gaming and magazine history is delved into here. As you can assume, it's a very lengthy watch. But lots of neat trivia tidbits you'll learn form it. From when play-tan was born to Toro's first debut. Of course, all the major marks in Sony history are there. Such as FF7. PS2 and PS3. And actually what's really entertaining was they showed Sega finally joining the forray in 2001. Anywho, watching this will net you a play-tan poster depicting the 15th anniversary.

Second segment: Kuro takes us into the world of Demon Souls! Actually, Toro is the poor sap that gets that role, while Kuro guides him. Silly hijinks ensue of poor Toro getting owned by some gigantic demon. Of course, they go into the finer details about the game besides acting silly about it. At the end tho. Televi-san gives us a flashback of Kuro's first time of playing Demons souls. He starts right off with creating a girl character and then learns about all the customization. 3 hours later, he's still at it! You get to see his character and he comments about "What kind of creature is this?!". 5 hours later Kuro finally manages it. :lol Then things get rolling and he gets to the same demon that owned Toro earlier, and ends up dying as well. But he loves it.

Third segment: Were you paying attention to the first segment? Well it's your turn to take a quiz now. Clear a 10 question quiz to gain some myale and also get the Dengeki Playstation 15th anniverasry Sony logo. Which is made up of all the Playstation systems and controllers that were ever made.

Next week: Cencoroll and Modern Warfare 2!

Yeah, I just started the Demon Soul's episode.

They're going to do CoD6, really? I thought Japan didn't like shooters!?

Top Bottom