• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thunderbolt Fantasy |OT| From the writer of Madoka & F/Z, Sword Travels from the East

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Also worth noting that Toonami sometimes tends to use the failure of one show as a barometer for an entire genre, we call this a Prince of Tennis situation.

Arkeband

Banned
This show is mesmerizing. It's like if Bleach and Naruto married Team America.

I'll definitely be following it. The story seems ridiculously cheesy but I'm here for the spectacle.

Qvoth

finally watched it
damn the poem when the villain appeared was pretty damn cool
「萬物之生,死亡之序。奉吾則功上枯骨,逆吾則劍下亡魂。寒刃之前,唯此二道」
took me a few seconds to realize the narrator was speaking in taiwanese during this part

might watch a chinese sub instead to have an easier time lol, too many han yu pin yin that doesn't make much sense

I thought the Nendoroid announced for this looked neat so I thought I'd watch the show.

Damn, talk about balls to the wall action. Normally I find dollfie looking stuff creepy, but this was just gorgeous and detailed and electrifying.

I'm definitely gonna be keeping up with this one.

RuGalz

Haven't watch these shows since I was a kid. It's amazing what they are able to do now. Still cheesy but definitely brings back memories.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hahahaha... this show is kinda amazing. Just a random click on an intriguing sounding name. Wu Xia anime eh? Kinda different. Let's give it a show.

CG....?

No... Puppets! That's gimmicky.

*watches the first fight*

That's amazing! How is this a thing? How am I finding this entertaining in this age of CG?? Who cares?!?

duckroll

It's not a gimmick actually. The reason this show exists is because Gen Urobuchi was a fan of the Taiwanese puppet company which makes wuxia shows like this in Taiwan. They worked out a deal together to make something for the Japanese audience, and Nitroplus handled the story/characters, while the Taiwanese company handled all the production.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
All I'm going say is I would kill for a Berserk adaptation like this. It would probably look and animate better than the current anime by miles and miles.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's not a gimmick actually. The reason this show exists is because Gen Urobuchi was a fan of the Taiwanese puppet company which makes wuxia shows like this in Taiwan. They worked out a deal together to make something for the Japanese audience, and Nitroplus handled the story/characters, while the Taiwanese company handled all the production.

Well my immediate impression of them using puppets (having stepped into the show cold - didn't see this thread before I watched) was that the puppets were gimmicky. But after having watched it, thoroughly enjoyed it in all its aspects.

Really unusual presentation style (via puppetry), but it works!

lenos16

Well my immediate impression of them using puppets (having stepped into the show cold - didn't see this thread before I watched) was that the puppets were gimmicky. But after having watched it, thoroughly enjoyed it in all its aspects.

Friend of mine has 3000 Epsiodes of those puppet shows on DVD.... it's quite a lot to take in.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Stop motion film making is basically a form of puppetry even if its not people moving them with strings in real time so its not that surprising. People love the films of Laika and Aardman.

Zaptruder

Banned
Friend of mine has 3000 Epsiodes of those puppet shows on DVD.... it's quite a lot to take in.

Haha... I don't know if I could watch everything like this. But certainly appreciating the diversity it brings tot he table (at least in terms of introducing this to an audience that wouldn't normally be exposed to it).

The special effects are awesome in the fight scenes!

Zaptruder

Banned
This first ep was mindblowingly awesome
I got a chuckle from the musou-like clothings though

Not too far removed from this guy:
image.php

duckroll

Yeah stop motion done in this form isn't something that I think most people would be familiar with. It's surprisingly an actual thing in Taiwan though! If this was never made, I wouldn't know it was a thing either. I'm used to my wuxia being live action actors from Hong Kong lol.

jonjonaug

Yeah stop motion done in this form isn't something that I think most people would be familiar with. It's surprisingly an actual thing in Taiwan though! If this was never made, I wouldn't know it was a thing either. I'm used to my wuxia being live action actors from Hong Kong lol.
I don't think this is stop motion, this is recorded at normal speed and probably sped up a little for action scenes.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 02

Still impressed by the technical aspects of this show. Juan Can Yun's entrance in particular was awesome.

Something I noticed about the dialogue, the flow of the dialogue and the voice acting is that its very old school, kind of feels like a play and the movements of the puppets match that as well. I'm sure thats on purpose but it does a good job selling the authentic feel.

Narag

CR changed the air time? Nice as this and JoJo will go well together on Friday mornings.
That said, this means episode 1 is up for free on CR for anyone still curious.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My favorite part of Shang Bu Huan is his tsundere act. On top of being an anime character in a Wuxia story he's also an anime trope among Wuxia tropes.

Jex

My favorite part of Shang Bu Huan is his tsundere act. On top of being an anime character in a Wuxia story he's also an anime trope among Wuxia tropes.

This show is certainly very earnest in its trope-y-ness Which is fine, if you have the stomach for so such things (I certainly enjoy it when its done well).

duckroll

All the characters act like Fate Zero characters in a wuxia setting. Some of them even look like Fate Zero characters. Urobuchi...

Qvoth

watched it with chinese subs, everything feels much smoother now :p
archer dude's poem isn't as good as the final boss' from episode 1 imo

Chaos17

Really high quality, I was surprised at first but the animation and SFX were 10/10 got hooked. The heroes ain't wimps or kids too that's a nice change.

Watched the 2 first eps, will continue.
I recommend it probably the best of the season for me.
Love the OP music.

Narag

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2
I won't lie, I was a little worried the second ep wouldn't live up to the first even after watching the first half. But when Shou Yun Xiao recited his poem and the Sawano kicked in, I realized everything would be fine!

Sometimes I wonder if it's simply a matter of me not having taken in enough Sawano to really get the hate.

The hate comes from all of his music sounding the same. I only learned his name when I watched Attack on Titan as that was the first anime OST I bought and listened to excessively outside of Cowboy Bebop.

And then I started watching other shows and realized "hey this kind of sounds like Attack on Titan". And then another show. And another show. Then Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer. And another show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom