• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thunderbolt Fantasy |OT| From the writer of Madoka & F/Z, Sword Travels from the East

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hate comes from all of his music sounding the same. I only learned his name when I watched Attack on Titan as that was the first anime OST I bought and listened to excessively outside of Cowboy Bebop.

And then I started watching other shows and realized "hey this kind of sounds like Attack on Titan". And then another show. And another show. Then Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer. And another show.

Couldn't someone say the same thing about John Wiliams? As long as the music fits the show/scene I don't really have a problem with it.

I also find the weak raps hilarious.

Watched this on a whim, and immediately fell in love. So far it's my anime of the season, chance for AOTY. I watched it again with my brother and again with my wife. I can't get enough! Definitely recommend if you like tokusatsu stuff!

Qvoth

The hate comes from all of his music sounding the same. I only learned his name when I watched Attack on Titan as that was the first anime OST I bought and listened to excessively outside of Cowboy Bebop.

And then I started watching other shows and realized "hey this kind of sounds like Attack on Titan". And then another show. And another show. Then Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer. And another show.

Tbh I understand why people call him samewano
Still like his shit though

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ep 3 was genuinely funny in parts, especially with Juan being a goof.

I was worried we'd go an entire episode without sick puppet swordsmanship but nope, ending clutched it with Dan Fei's innermost mystery of the Hu Yin Shi school: Unlimited Blade Works.

Narag

Thunderbolt Fantasy 3
f766kjUl.jpg

The whole needing a necromancer for the party bit was so fantasy RPGish I could only laugh. Thankfully I'm a sucker for fantasy stuff and even more of a sucker for good fantasy like this. Nice to see the girl could hold her own too.

Chaos17

When they explained the trials they've to beat, I was like:
Trial 1 : yeah, that's kinda classic
Trial 2 : those golems are cool
Tiral 3 : wtf ?!

I also liked that they try to recruit unusual new comapnions :)

Edit: found these arts on official website

p_rin2.jpg
p_syou2.jpg
p_tanhi2.jpg
p_syu2.jpg
p_ken2.jpg
p_keigai2.jpg

I prefer the puppet version of hero and blondy xD

Oh hey, there's a thread for this.

When they explained the trials they've to beat, I was like:
Trial 1 : yeah, that's kinda classic
Trial 2 : those golems are cool
Tiral 3 : wtf ?!

I also liked that they try to recruit unusual new comapnions :)

The maze that dooms if you leave the proper path is a classic trope as well, as is the party of eclectic but well renowned figures.

I don't trust Lin/Gui though. Despite being billed as the main character, his whole schtick thus far - as noted by Shang - is manipulating people to get stuff done for him. Add that with his mysterious past and I feel like there's good odds that he's done some shady shit and may do so again in future if it suited him.

Narag

I mean there's imagery in the OP to support it too

This is right after they're back to back and it looks as if they're about to cross weapons. Dan Fei appears behind this implying it's a conflict over her.

This si a little more self-explanatory with the crossed paths and the collision in the background.

Personally I think he's the sorcerer who lost the tower and shit's going to go south once he gets it back.

I mean there's imagery in the OP to support it too

This is right after they're back to back and it looks as if they're about to cross weapons. Dan Fei appears behind this implying it's a conflict over her.

This si a little more self-explanatory with the crossed paths and the collision in the background.

Personally I think he's the sorcerer who lost the tower and shit's going to go south once he gets it back.

Daredevil saw him becoming evil a mile away.

Haly

My guess is that Gui Niao is the reason Shang Bu Huang is there in the first place, and Gui Niao is just trolling him.

~Cross~

All I'm going say is I would kill for a Berserk adaptation like this. It would probably look and animate better than the current anime by miles and miles.

It would, at the very least, be better animated than what is showing as Berserk right now.

I was pleasantly surprised by this. I'm a fan of wuxia, anime and fantasy RPGs so this is basically an unholy amalgamation of them. Stupidly fun, lots of cool action and an ok story albeit a little predictable.

Chaos17

Episode 4

I liked how quick the demon woman changed her mind but disliked how suddenly the fight ended at the end. Also the assassin is too OP! NERF!!

Always startling to see a unique puppet
not stick around. Unless he gets necromanced back up.

Archer continues his reign as the most baller character.

Wait, who's even supposed to be the Pheonix Killer's rival character? He's super strong in this initial reveal.

Always startling to see a unique puppet
not stick around. Unless he gets necromanced back up.

Archer continues his reign as the most baller character.

Well that main bad dude in the first episode and the Brother only lasted one episode. I wonder though, what the cost per episode is for something like this compared to if it were fully animated.

Haly

RIP Old Man.

The OP made it look like it was Phoenix Killer versus Archer but nope, he's stronger than any of them.

Jex

Phoenix Killer's power level is off the chart, presumably because he has the most fabulous costume. That's how this works, right?

Phoenix Killer's power level is off the chart, presumably because he has the most fabulous costume. That's how this works, right?

Yes. Costume + Name = Power Level.

When your name is Phoenix Killer - The slayer of a creature known to be immortal - and you are dressed at that level of fab of course you'll be the Freeza.

Jarmel

Banned
I think this was the first episode I really liked.

Also the white haired guy is going to totally end up screwing everybody over.

Jarmel

Banned
The fact that the white hair wasn't willing to explain what Shang was required for makes me think there's some sacrifice needed.

As long as it's not "only you can defeat the utlimate antagonist"

I just want the show to end in a bromance with phoenix edgelord where he sacrifices himself after he finds the true meaning...

OF FRIENDSHIP

jonjonaug

Almost the entire episode was long conversations and it was my favorite episode yet. Urobuchi is just an amazing writer.

The fact that the white hair wasn't willing to explain what Shang was required for makes me think there's some sacrifice needed.

I'm thinking all of them are going to end up dead by the end except Shang, Dan Fei, and Lin.

Chaos17

Ep 5.

Soon that serie will be renamed: bad company, lol!
I liked the demon plan to throw a curse to kill the assassin by making his blood boil.
The dialog between hero and Phoenix as also interesting, I really like the Mc, pretty down to earth.

As long as it's not "only you can defeat the utlimate antagonist"

I just want the show to end in a bromance with phoenix edgelord where he sacrifices himself after he finds the true meaning...

OF FRIENDSHIP

I suspect it will be some variant of the first suggestion. The villain (as it currently stands) is a rare sword nut, and Shang, though maintaining a healthy sense of caution, was noted by the recently revealed and hyped up super killer - whose whole introduction had him best Gui's elderly master in a sword duel - to be skilled enough to successfully defend (at least initially) against him if the two really did fight.

How to take on an evil swordsman? Get an even better one.

Haly

I wish they translated those poems...

Chaos17

The plan was to cast it on the young spear guy, and when he inevitably lost he'd explode in a shower of acid, killing the Screaming Phoenix Killer.

Does that mean she has to be close to cast the curse since she can't cast it directly at the assassin ? Anyway, I still like the idea, necro in party make convo fun and now assassin this is going to be epc, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom