• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thunderbolt Fantasy |OT| From the writer of Madoka & F/Z, Sword Travels from the East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I thought he spied some sort of important lettering/inscription on the otherwise haggard and plain sword?

Assuming its deliberate and not just an inadvertent result of modelling, its just that part of why Shang's blade is dull as shit is that its been cut everywhere across the blade. Remember what Gui and Mie discussed about how the latter could have become powerful by using his sword skills legitimately? The latter specifically brings up how he dislikes the idea of tarnishing a sword so much as to effectively become renowned for it... and Shang has an absolutely tarnished blade.

This show has me going completely back on forth on what the dude is meant to be and I love it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I read it the other way. When Gui Niao draws Shang's sword he sees it's blunted and damaged and barely qualifies as a "sword". So when Shang fights, even with a dull edge he's able to demolish all of his enemies, which goes back to what Wu Sheng and co were saying about how doesn't seem like a real swordsman but his strength is very real.

Jarmel

Banned
I read it the other way. When Gui Niao draws Shang's sword he sees it's blunted and damaged and barely qualifies as a "sword". So when Shang fights, even with a dull edge he's able to demolish all of his enemies, which goes back to what Wu Sheng and co were saying about how doesn't seem like a real swordsman but his strength is very real.

Well with a blunt sword you would have to use more strength for cuts, so it actually would make sense then.

...huh, actually thinking about it, I just realised that one of the recurring jokes in the series is that Shang, being a foreigner to Dong Li and all - supposedly crossing a deadly wasteland to get there - hasn't heard of anyone else in the cast no matter how incredible or fearsome their reputation. More specifically... I realise that the reverse is potentially true of him as well.

...huh, actually thinking about it, I just realised that one of the recurring jokes in the series is that Shang, being a foreigner to Dong Li and all - supposedly crossing a deadly wasteland to get there - hasn't heard of anyone else in the cast no matter how incredible or fearsome their reputation. More specifically... I realise that the reverse is potentially true of him as well.
You only now realize that he's just as unknown to them?

Totakeke

The surprise is that he's been using a blunt sword all along? That seems like a huge stretch that requires suspension of disbelief when he has travelling with a group of people constantly observing him and figuring what he is.

3 more episodes, can't tell how where this show is headed towards unless a new big bad shows up.

Rymuth

3 more episodes, can't tell how where this show is headed towards unless a new big bad shows up.
They keep talking about a bigger mythology - how the war with demons split the world and that Tengu...tengyo....tenkuushushinken can be gifted to a king in hell for a reward. I wouldn't be surprised if an actual Demon King supplants Mie-whatever as the big bad.

Narag

The surprise is that he's been using a blunt sword all along? That seems like a huge stretch that requires suspension of disbelief when he has travelling with a group of people constantly observing him and figuring what he is.

I was thinking maybe it was illusory at first or maybe the others overlooked it as impossible given what he'd done with it since the show didn't like to have him draw it unless necessary and didn't really show it off even when he did like the weapons of others were. Scrubbing back through it though

mC9SFZQl.jpg
GpVp9aBl.png
vfnqMIMl.png

Episode 1. Episode 7. Episode 9.

It's shown to be pretty pristine when it's in his possession. He's obviously crazy strong without it but with how he blew up the cage to escape, I wonder if his inner power needs some sort of focus which the sword very well could be.

CorvoSol

I'm dumb and I thought the blunt sword was a fake. Hence the reveal of Syou behind Lin with a real sword in hand.

I'm dumb.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
With how Bone of creation talking about the essence of sword, i wouldn't be surprised if Shang true power is that he's actually a sword that somehow got a human form, probably from absorbing spirit. It fit why he got thrown out of the barrier in the previous episode too.

You only now realize that he's just as unknown to them?

More the fact that it means he could actually be a big deal back home because of it, but his fame just never spread across the wasteland into Dong Li. Yes I realise in hindsight that's still pretty obvious, but my mind was him set on just being 'somebody', even while imagining that he might be stupidly powerful.

Chaos17

With how Bone of creation talking about the essence of sword, i wouldn't be surprised if Shang true power is that he's actually a sword that somehow got a human form, probably from absorbing spirit. It fit why he got thrown out of the barrier in the previous episode too.

I like that analys, wich make think of that youtube comment I saw:
Hi, Shangbuhuan(the Chinese fans call him as old man)'s sword is a blunt sword, almost is just a steel stick, Lin xue ya(the Chinese fans call him as blood pressure, Chinese speaking joke as xue ya)noticed this so it means old man is a very very strong person as the boss said the real strong swordman is not care whether his sword is good or not, Others all thought he used a normal sword and Sha wu sheng can not notice the real disparity, because he could know he will be die after 9 moves when he face the boss but he could not get a final result from the old man, so it means old man is not in the same level as them, but they noticed old man's sp is powerful, and more sp means more ap and dp, so old man probably is the strongest man in Xi you! he is the first one completed the almost impossible thing as across the place between the 2 countries.
Source: https://youtu.be/SeNM21pOaUM

SkyOdin

How many times has Shang actually drawn his sword around the others, though? Most of the time, he keeps his sword sheathed, and he has kept his nose out of most of the fighting. He used it in the opening fights, but most of the cast wasn't around for that, and the girl was unconcious during that time. He didn't draw it again until the end of his discussion with the Pheonix Killer, but that was in the middle of the night. Wait, did he draw it during the trek to meet the necromancer? He next drew it only briefly during the zombie and golem battles, again in the dark.

During the fights in the daytime where everyone else was around, Shang stayed back and let the others do the fighting.

ryushe

Haven't read this thread but I've just finished episode 5 and man, I wish this was what I Am Setsuna turned out to be because this show is pretty much a JRPG without the gameplay. It's so damn good.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 10

This is Botcher's best work dialogue wise. Its so good. Its so good.

I absolutely love it how when MC takes upon the appearance of Enigmatic Gale he retains his speaking mannerisms and movements but with Enigmatic Gale's voice actor. I lost my shit.

Narag

Thunderbolt Fantasy 10

You know a show's great when the episodes light on action as just as engaging as those with it. I loved how the mystery of the sword was just sorta glossed over and they delved right into more important things. The idea that Gui Niao had humbled some of his party such that they became lesser villains due to the humiliation is amazing.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 10

I know the show has great action, but this is Urobuchi at his best where the action might be amazing when there's any, but the dialogue heavy scenes can be just as entertaining (FZ Archer discussion of being evil aside).

I don't know what to expect at this point with the Enigmatic Gail, which is something to say because the show has made it clear he isn't someone to be trusted in the slightest, but at the same time the writing could just as easily have his excuse to be believable and then we're left with a thief with a heart of gold where it counts. But I don't know what to believe. Regardless it has been a fantastic ride. Shame Lady Dan Fei couldn't keep still.

edit: on a weird note did anyone catch this?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-gets-manga-by-complex-age-yui-sakuma/.104308

The artstyle is absolutely dreadful but hey I guess it means people can enjoy it if they're absolutely against puppets.

Rymuth

All hell's breaking loose next week, isn't it? I have a feeling that the Frozen Spear was sent by Mie-whatever to suss out Lin (didn't watch the next week preview, so if that was given away, I have no idea)

Lin is the ultimate sociopath - I had drawn a similar conclusion to how he explained it but mine was a bit more specialized. I pegged him as someone who steals specific emotion or feeling from someone (the intangible part). so the Screaming Phoenix's pride and Lament's love if he had seduced her and ran away.

edit: on a weird note did anyone catch this?
Read the first chapter. Lot of the story beats were poorly executed.

duckroll

Hmmmm. The dialogue was pretty good, but I really hope this isn't it for the plot. It probably isn't, but it would be very disappointing if Lupin only wants to steal the dignity of villains, and the endgame is the two "heroes" fighting all the villains to save the sword and the girl.

Who am I kidding. This is Urobuchi. Everyone is just going to die. Lol.

Hmmmm. The dialogue was pretty good, but I really hope this isn't it for the plot. It probably isn't, but it would be very disappointing if Lupin only wants to steal the dignity of villains, and the endgame is the two "heroes" fighting all the villains to save the sword and the girl.

Who am I kidding. This is Urobuchi. Everyone is just going to die. Lol.
My ship of innocent girl with begrudging hero is already sinking with this douchey final fantasy pretty boy getting in the way

They might as well all die if my ship won't come true

Ascheroth

My ship of innocent girl with begrudging hero is already sinking with this douchey final fantasy pretty boy getting in the way

They might as well all die if my ship won't come true

But what if pretty boy is the real mastermind behind everything? Like the One-Eyed Impaler, what if the naive pretty hero boy is just a front he puts on in front of the others and in reality he's the one pulling all the strings.
Think about it.

Well, I just discovered this and blitzed ten episodes in one sitting. I should've checked to see if it had concluded first, because now I'm disappointed that I'll have to wait to see the remainder. My expectation of White Haired Dude was different than what's happened so far. I thought
he would end up being the sorcerer that the villain took his magical castle from. I mean, he had so much working knowledge about how to penetrate its defenses, and that this was a plot to regain the castle.

Rymuth

I thought
he would end up being the sorcerer that the villain took his magical castle from. I mean, he had so much working knowledge about how to penetrate its defenses, and that this was a plot to regain the castle.
I had a similar suspicion but I also assumed Shang was involved as well - like he was homunculi created by the sorcerer.

Chaos17

Thunderbolt Fantasy 10

Hero shouldn't have trusted Enigmatic gale to swap place with him, I understand that it was needed so thief could break the safe but after so many lies I would've not accepted easely specialy when you've no guarantee that he told the truth about the location of the handle.

I would've liked more explanation about the hero and why he is fighting with a blunt sword.

Alos, the disguise has too many flaws, not same clothes and no pipe for example. I doubt the big boss will for for it specialy when we read in previous ep that he saw through the disguise of thief before.

Welp, new episode.

Looks like Gui Niao's decision to recruit villains
finally blew up in his face, which I confess I rather liked storywise. It'd be too easy to have him go the whole series having planned and accounted for everything, like a wannabe Batgod.

Preview suggests that we might finally find out what Shang's increasingly perplexing deal is... or making its just teasing it but won't deliver.

Haly

Yoooooooo, either Shang
fought the demon lord on his way here
or
he is the demon lord!

Narag

Thunderbolt Fantasy 11

I'm really impressed with how straightforward the show has presented itself as and the increasing complexity demonstrated as it progressed after some of us were wondering what was going to happen once they faced the last boss at episode 7 or whatever.

also hype for next week. shang's secrets at last

I like how Demon Lady and Archer Dude can't stop backstabbing everyone, and now they have to backstab each other

Also they nailed Shang's bad acting. Enigmatic Gale's voice with Shang's mannerisms and movements is just so...amazing and perfect.

Narag

Yoooooooo, either Shang
or
he is the demon lord!

\Possibility the blade doesn't kill demons permanently but forces them to be reborn as human?

I like how Demon Lady and Archer Dude can't stop backstabbing everyone, and now they have to backstab each other

They'll wuss out and give the guard back to Gui Niao to get back into his good graces after things start heading south.

Totakeke

I feel like at this point the remaining plot will be played relatively straight. There's still the true identity of Shang yeah, but I think it'll be more like something that gives him power to overcome all odds rather than a huge plot twist that changes who's the antagonist and protagonist.

Jarmel

Banned
Yoooooooo, either Shang
or
he is the demon lord!

I could see either option being viable. Shang using some shitty sword to beat back the demon lord would speak to how it's not the weapon itself is unimportant but rather the person using it. However there could be some weird thing with the sword and Shang is some demon lord with redonkulous amounts of mana.

Thunderbolt 11

Another fantastic episode, and another show that now in hell will it end in 1 episode.

I would assume this ends in 2 more. Looks like next episode we get to see Pwwwwotagonist's fight. Awesome.

I hope we get some revelations.

Haly

I could see either option being viable. Shang using some shitty sword to beat back the demon lord would speak to how it's not the weapon itself is unimportant but rather the person using it. However there could be some weird thing with the sword and Shang is some demon lord with redonkulous amounts of mana.

If Mie Tien Hai thought Shang's sword was "shabby", it probably really is nothing special. But Gui Niao did remark "I had no idea you mastered such a dreadful sword". Inspired by your comment, I think the implication is that Shang knows some kind of spiritual sword that turns any weapon he holds into a lethal instrument.

SkyOdin

If Mie Tien Hai thought Shang's sword was "shabby", it probably really is nothing special. But Gui Niao did remark "I had no idea you mastered such a dreadful sword". Inspired by your comment, I think the implication is that Shang knows some kind of spiritual sword that turns any weapon he holds into a lethal instrument.

I think Gui Niao was probably just calling Shang's sword a piece of junk, but Shang clearly does possess some kind of fancy power based on other events (such as healing Dan Fei in Episode 1).

Also, my theory for the magic sword is
that it didn't kill the demon god, it sealed it. Removing the sword from its current place might be a really bad idea. No idea why Shang would react like that though, unless he is some kind of Taoist immortal who has been around since the time of the demon war.

I think Gui Niao was probably just calling Shang's sword a piece of junk, but Shang clearly does possess some kind of fancy power based on other events (such as healing Dan Fei in Episode 1).

Also, my theory for the magic sword is
that it didn't kill the demon god, it sealed it. Removing the sword from its current place might be a really bad idea. No idea why Shang would react like that though, unless he is some kind of Taoist immortal who has been around since the time of the demon war.

Considering how little is known about Shang's country, maybe they're still actively dealing with demons and he doesn't need to be that old at all to have first-hand experience.

I don't know why I expect Hawk Guy to sacrifice himself at the end to save his pupil. And in his dying moments he apologizes and explains that at one point he really was idealistic but that he grew bitter, and that Juan reminded him of his younger self. Then he dies. Juan forgives him and takes his freaking eyepatch.

All of this because he now has a damaged eye and I can't see him taking the eyepatch lmao.

Deadly

I don't know why I expect Hawk Guy to sacrifice himself at the end to save his pupil. And in his dying moments he apologizes and explains that at one point he really was idealistic but that he grew bitter, and that Juan reminded him of his younger self. Then he dies. Juan forgives him and takes his freaking eyepatch.

All of this because he now has a damaged eye and I can't see him taking the eyepatch lmao.
I feel they should just leave him as a bad guy. The scenario you present sounds way too typical. Juan taking the eyepatch is a good idea though. A reminder of what not to become or something

Chaos17

Thunderbolt 11

Blondy gained my respect, him and the princess showed some good character growth in such a short period of time. The hero is so mysterious! He seems indeed know a lot about demons that he is able to kinda tell the big boss "you know you what you think about demons and that heavenly ain't that accurate' lol.

Really this show for me is the best of the season, it never lost its appeal and it's energy. Always something mysterious to discover too.

Narag

Thunderbolt Fantasy 12

I couldn't stop laughing due to giddiness through the majority of this ep, especially when the secret of Shang's swordplay is revealed then what Gui Niao did to end the ep. Holy fuck I'm glad this was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom