• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thunderbolt Fantasy |OT| From the writer of Madoka & F/Z, Sword Travels from the East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunderbolt Fantasy 13

What a great ending episode. This really has been the surprise of the year.

That battle of ideologies between Lin and Bones of Creation. And sick sword battle too! With the twist of Lin
being already an even better swordman than him, it just he left it because he understood it was an endless path and it only served to kill, and stealing shit was funnier. And the wrench in his plans at the end, with the bad guy killing himself 'defeating' Lin in a way.

That casual twist of Shang, the guy who finds the obsession for swords silly,
is actually owner of an incredible collection of mythical swords, and it wasn't something casual, his journey and his goal was about them
. The execution of the moment was so good, I almost stood up! And you have to appreciate the irony of all the story revolving around a mythical sword
when he had at hand better ones.

The epilogue with the couple and the final poem were good too.

I'm sure the group that was pursuing him trying to steal the collection will be the antagonists in the second season, the mention of them wasn't casual.

jonjonaug

That was so freaking good. Can't wait for season two or whatever the sequel ends up being.

Gen Urobuchi: Master of plots, god of dialogue, puppet visionary.

Voror

Have there been any behind the scenes videos for the show? I admit I'd really be interested in seeing the puppeteers putting a scene together.

Nyanmaruz

A big part of me wished this series was a more grounded Wuxia series instead of having all the demons, demi-gods, and magic stuff.

Also the final battle feels really rushed and way too convenient. Lin and Shang are the ultimate trolls of this series hands down.
Whatever it may be about, hopefully the writing in the sequel is going to be better.

Overall, I really loved this series despite the flaws and I really hope there's going to be more of these wuxia puppet shows with such production value going forward.

Mokoi

Banned
AOTY.

What a treat this show was great, and I had no idea puppet battles could be so cool. Great ending to this show, and glad there is going to be s2.

zoku88

My favorite part was the usually calm Lin freaking out after the blade was destroyed. He pretty much just lost.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 13

Oof what a finale. At the end I was a screaming George Lucas at that last scene.

"IT'S LIKE POETRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

IT RHYMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES"

9/10.

AND A SEQUEL ALREADY ANNOUNCED?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Quite possibly the best season closer finale I've seen in years---easily one of the best ever outright. Outstanding!

Highest chance imaginable that the second season will do about as well, if not somehow blow the doors off.

I want a freaking world map now, the space shot doesn't quite count as this is clearly a vast series of Lands of Intrigue.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The best part about the ending is that you knew that Shang was an unrivaled badass, so when he pulls out the scroll it's not a "give me a break deus ex" it was a "oh shit he is even more of a badass than I even imagined." It's no wonder he was always face-palming, he just cannot be bothered with these plebs.

Overall the series was great. I wanna go back and watch the crunchyroll versions because alot of the fight scenes had to be blurred for epilepsy shit in the broadcast version. I also wanna know what the poems said (anybody got a translation for the last one?)

Nepenthe

I've been following this show silently in my own little corner, growing to love the characters, and then hate some of them. I'm still impressed at the amount of intrique the show managed to keep up with its mysteries even as all of the plot threads begin to be tied up, and ultimately I almost cried at the finale, then screamed at a Season 2 confirmation. My emotions over this show have been wrenched in every direction, and now I'm left here extremely satisfied. Thunderbolt Fantasy is something really special.

Also am I the only one genuinely happy that Mie got the last laugh on Rin before he died? Haven't forgiven him for the way he callously used the rest of the cast, nor can I stand his borderline psychopathic personality and worldview. He's basically an ancient Japanese 4channer. It subsequently made me salty that he's a better swordsman than Mie; like, c'mooooon.

Jex

The best part about the ending is that you knew that Shang was an unrivaled badass, so when he pulls out the scroll it's not a "give me a break deus ex" it was a "oh shit he is even more of a badass than I even imagined." It's no wonder he was always face-palming, he just cannot be bothered with these plebs.

Overall the series was great. I wanna go back and watch the crunchyroll versions because alot of the fight scenes had to be blurred for epilepsy shit in the broadcast version. I also wanna know what the poems said (anybody got a translation for the last one?)

"Even a storm that could ruin an umbrella is not enough to halt a man's journey.
Tread through wind and rain and you're bound to encounter a muddy stream.
And if it must be crossed, it is best to do so unclad."

I've been following this show silently in my own little corner, growing to love the characters, and then hate some of them. I'm still impressed at the amount of intrique the show managed to keep up with its mysteries even as all of the plot threads begin to be tied up, and ultimately I almost cried at the finale, then screamed at a Season 2 confirmation. My emotions over this show have been wrenched in every direction, and now I'm left here extremely satisfied. Thunderbolt Fantasy is something really special.

Also am I the only one genuinely happy that Mie got the last laugh on Rin before he died? Haven't forgiven him for the way he callously used the rest of the cast, nor can I stand his borderline psychopathic personality and worldview. He's basically an ancient Japanese 4channer. It subsequently made me salty that he's a better swordsman than Mie; like, c'mooooon.

The series treads a fine line with Rin, and that last moment is what helps him just keep from being a Gary Stu to me, in so much that despite him being ungodly talented and better than everyone apparently being a deliberate point of his character (and in fairness with the sword skills, its bringing an avalanche of irony down on Mie's head with the whole 'the best swordsman is one who keeps his skills hidden' thing), it still isn't enough for Rin to actually achieve his goals. Indeed, his primary motivation of humbling villains through humiliating them seems to be the one thing he's not actually good at, as all three of the 'softened' crooks he brought along were either still going around killing people, or went on to betray him, while if he hadn't been lucky that Shang was carrying around his Deus Ex Arsenal, Rin's humiliation of Mie would have doomed the world.

Edit: And I just realised the parallels between Mie and Shang with this, not so sure why it didn't click sooner. Both are sword collectors, but Mie resides in a castle, dresses himself in jewellery and rich fabrics, and desires swords to basically bolster his own ego while having a total disregard for the lives of others. Shang meanwhile is a wanderer, dresses in basic leathers and furs, and collects swords not for his own sake, but to keep them out of the hands of people like Mie, while choosing a style of fighting that very much forces him to consider the weight of each life he might take. As a bonus, it means he doesn't need a sword because of his skills, while Mie wants a sword to match his abilities.

Man I love this show.

My favorite part was the usually calm Lin freaking out after the blade was destroyed. He pretty much just lost.

Yeah, if you think about it, it wasn't about who could beat the other one physically, but who won the mental battle. As Lin's goal was to get in his mind, make the opponent be ashamed and worthless, it was always something where he could fail, if Bones of Creation chose to be proud against all odds.

I also liked when he proposes to steal another holy sword from another holy place... and he is like 'bro, imagine if there is a another demon god below that other sword, that would be some really bad luck!'

Riposte

I really liked this series, except for the last episode, which was just okay, if not outright annoying in some ways. It mainly came down to the two big twists / power creeps. First, the Enigmatic Gale character was an ideal execution of a manipulative thief character, the kind that can really elevate a cast, but him also being an excellent melee fighter, if not the best one, really only hurts that and makes his gambits seem a lot less impressive because if it came down to it he could just kill everyone (even the poor main villain was struggling to understand how dumb of a scenario this was). I get his motive (and it was amusing how the villain, trapped in this dumb reversal of events, still got his moment), but everything just works better if you have this idea that he's just that much of a master strategist. Then of course, there's the casual resolving of the demon god plot in a few minutes. Although that was much more of a deus ex machina, it still bothered me less than than the other point. I guess since they are making a sequel, they will build on that so it seems less of an asspull (I was on board with the chi stuff, but then he pulls out an inventory of 36 macguffins and it's like... what is even the scale of this thing anymore?). On the bright side, the fight scenes and character interaction were as good as they ever were.

When I first started to watch it, I have to admit it was a bit like an enjoyable gimmick to me. I was trying to balance in my head how much of the appeal of it was being genuinely good or just different and unique. I don't know if my mind is still making excuses for whatever awkwardness may come from the puppetry (I mean, theirs mouths don't even move and the spear kid would gesture around like King Friday sometimes), but I've really come to like it by the end. The wuxia stuff is actually really cool and the plot and cast make for a really fun fantasy romp. I think I really started to like the series when they were all on the boat and it dawned on me that this was like a good D&D campaign and everything sort of clicked. I was having a blast with a very straightforward story, but then the little twists towards the end made the final stretch really intriguing. I went from watching one episode to day to binging on the final five. EDIT: Oh, I think Sawano's music played a huge part in selling the concept. He's always been great at introducing hype into moments, I think it was particularly useful here.

People were saying it would be cool to see Berserk done like this. I still don't know how I feel about that, but there are moments in the show where I could see that working.

I dunno, I think Vapewizard having the martial skills to match his master fuckery is great and necessary. A master thief must have all sorts of skills at his disposal. It also makes him a much bigger fucker which totally fits his character. It's essentially a trump card to be used in certain situations, but in this particular one, he fails to get what he wants despite being so powerful.

I loved the reveal he was strong as fuck, dude was all "damn I wasted all this effort on this scheme when I could've just whopped his ass".

I found it somewhat sweet that a weird form of friendship formed and will form in the future as he follows Shang to protect him from those that would seek to take the weapons from him. He found someone interesting who wasn't a total piece of shit and I'm sure also will consider using his weapon if necessary.

Also my ship sunk so hard. When the fuck did puppet sex happen?

Chaos17

Episode 13

IT WAS TOO SHORRRRRRRRT!!!!!!!!!!!

*Breath*

Silver guy character got deeper in this episode, we knew he became a thief because what he liked the most is to manipulate people and steal what is precious to them even if it's an "emotion"! Which I found pretty original.
So discovering that he became a thief because he is a genius who became arrogant, so he decided to steal for the fun. So when Bone of creation got the last laugh, I was like "you deserved that defeat you jerk!" (silver guy).

Hero... oh boy, we finaly see his true strength from last ep and he just go like that on the final boss "BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!!!!" Finish... I was like "noooo, too short!".
Anyway, I finaly understand why he was giving the cold shoulders to the heroine about her religion and her sword since he was collectionning them from fanatics like Bone of Creation, lol. No wonder also he was always so chill, who the fuck have a sword who can make a frigging black hole ?!! lol

Seeing silver guy following the hero and hero still not really like him wich is understanble was funny. And yes, SEASON 2!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh god, what am I going to watch now, it was so intense, so nice writing always so new infos about the lore the characters and the SFX ? 10/10, lol I know what I want for christmas, the OST!! :D

Edit: I like how the youngsters just got together at the end wich I found pretty normal since the writer introduced simply yet nicely their relationship.

Just finished the finale yesterday. This is surprisingly better than most anime.

Btw, I'm puzzled with the subs.The names of characters are totally different from how they're pronounced. Initially I thought it was some dumb mistakes but they stick with those weird names till the end. I hope this get fixed in the second season.

Ascheroth

Just finished the finale yesterday. This is surprisingly better than most anime.

Btw, I'm puzzled with the subs.The names of characters are totally different from how they're pronounced. Initially I thought it was some dumb mistakes but they stick with those weird names till the end. I hope this get fixed in the second season.

The subs have the chinese names whereas they use the japanese ones while speaking. Yeah, it's not exactly intuitive.

The subs have the chinese names whereas they use the japanese ones while speaking. Yeah, it's not exactly intuitive.

Yeah. I imagine it was a decision on CR's part to perhaps maintain more of the Wuxia feel, or just stick closer to the source in their own way, sorta similar to how the Japanese dub nevertheless retains the Chinese narration because that's how this kind of theatre works.

Faiz

A big part of me wished this series was a more grounded Wuxia series instead of having all the demons, demi-gods, and magic stuff.

Also the final battle feels really rushed and way too convenient. Lin and Shang are the ultimate trolls of this series hands down.
Whatever it may be about, hopefully the writing in the sequel is going to be better.

Overall, I really loved this series despite the flaws and I really hope there's going to be more of these wuxia puppet shows with such production value going forward.

Sounds like by flaws you really mean "I wanted a different show".

I really liked this series, except for the last episode, which was just okay, if not outright annoying in some ways. It mainly came down to the two big twists / power creeps. First, the Enigmatic Gale character was an ideal execution of a manipulative thief character, the kind that can really elevate a cast, but him also being an excellent melee fighter, if not the best one, really only hurts that and makes his gambits seem a lot less impressive because if it came down to it he could just kill everyone (even the poor main villain was struggling to understand how dumb of a scenario this was). I get his motive (and it was amusing how the villain, trapped in this dumb reversal of events, still got his moment), but everything just works better if you have this idea that he's just that much of a master strategist. Then of course, there's the casual resolving of the demon god plot in a few minutes. Although that was much more of a deus ex machina, it still bothered me less than than the other point. I guess since they are making a sequel, they will build on that so it seems less of an asspull (I was on board with the chi stuff, but then he pulls out an inventory of 36 macguffins and it's like... what is even the scale of this thing anymore?). On the bright side, the fight scenes and character interaction were as good as they ever were.

When I first started to watch it, I have to admit it was a bit like an enjoyable gimmick to me. I was trying to balance in my head how much of the appeal of it was being genuinely good or just different and unique. I don't know if my mind is still making excuses for whatever awkwardness may come from the puppetry (I mean, theirs mouths don't even move and the spear kid would gesture around like King Friday sometimes), but I've really come to like it by the end. The wuxia stuff is actually really cool and the plot and cast make for a really fun fantasy romp. I think I really started to like the series when they were all on the boat and it dawned on me that this was like a good D&D campaign and everything sort of clicked. I was having a blast with a very straightforward story, but then the little twists towards the end made the final stretch really intriguing. I went from watching one episode to day to binging on the final five. EDIT: Oh, I think Sawano's music played a huge part in selling the concept. He's always been great at introducing hype into moments, I think it was particularly useful here.

People were saying it would be cool to see Berserk done like this. I still don't know how I feel about that, but there are moments in the show where I could see that working.

agreed

Jarmel

Banned

That was the entire point. The side characters were making events or objects to be huge or big deals but in reality the sword wasn't particularly special nor was the villain some beyond reproach fighter. Just as Shang said, swords are tools and they're only as good as their master. For Vapeduck, his pleasure wasn't getting an object but taking something free and 'worthless'. It's about the human element.

Nepenthe

The series treads a fine line with Rin, and that last moment is what helps him just keep from being a Gary Stu to me, in so much that despite him being ungodly talented and better than everyone apparently being a deliberate point of his character (and in fairness with the sword skills, its bringing an avalanche of irony down on Mie's head with the whole 'the best swordsman is one who keeps his skills hidden' thing), it still isn't enough for Rin to actually achieve his goals. Indeed, his primary motivation of humbling villains through humiliating them seems to be the one thing he's not actually good at, as all three of the 'softened' crooks he brought along were either still going around killing people, or went on to betray him, while if he hadn't been lucky that Shang was carrying around his Deus Ex Arsenal, Rin's humiliation of Mie would have doomed the world.

Edit: And I just realised the parallels between Mie and Shang with this, not so sure why it didn't click sooner. Both are sword collectors, but Mie resides in a castle, dresses himself in jewellery and rich fabrics, and desires swords to basically bolster his own ego while having a total disregard for the lives of others. Shang meanwhile is a wanderer, dresses in basic leathers and furs, and collects swords not for his own sake, but to keep them out of the hands of people like Mie, while choosing a style of fighting that very much forces him to consider the weight of each life he might take. As a bonus, it means he doesn't need a sword because of his skills, while Mie wants a sword to match his abilities.

Man I love this show.

Great analysis! The parallel between Mie and Shang's relationships with swords is well noted, so much so that it's probably the underlying reason why I wanted Shang to be the one to fight him, although that would've been way too literal for the show that instead decided to play at Shang crossing Rin instead (speaking of which, the twist and cliffhanger where Rin discovers the truth about Shang's sword had me hyped. I wanted him to get Rin so badly.)

That, and for the entire time the show built Rin's character up as one who walks through life by the will of his own wit, who needs little more than a little bit of time to analyze a situation and his illusory magic to get whatever he wants. He's a trickster in a world characterized by brute force, which makes him especially dangerous to deal with and counter for the rest of the cast whom he'd been toying with the whole time. And it's his apathy for each characters' ethics in relation to his plans that makes him hard to empathize with for too much longer after they get into the castle. So when the sword suddenly came out last week I saw the writing on the wall and groaned.

In general, I'm a fan of old-school characterization, where there always has to be an empathetic impetus to a character's actions and a willingness on part of the universe to punish wrongdoing in a reciprocal way. It's what separates Rin from someone like Bugs Bunny, who could've easily been just as off-putting if not for the simple rule of making sure he never drew first blood before he went in and wrecked his rival's shit. So in spite of all of this, I'm still not sure whether or not Mie's last stand managed to pull Rin back from being irredeemable for me. He lost the game for sure, but that's really what all this was to him anyway- a game. Should he come back in the sequel I have no doubt he'll play the same character.

Rin's heelturn and the way his character and philosophy developed throughout is distasteful to me even if the writers gave me the satisfaction of making sure he lost the war (and having badass Shang be the one to bail him out of his mess), but that is still nothing more than excellent writing. There were multiple layers of conflict to the overall story that serve to give extra dimension to the characters, and to have me actively rooting for the villain in one of them is nothing short of masterful.

Great analysis! The parallel between Mie and Shang's relationships with swords is well noted, so much so that it's probably the underlying reason why I wanted Shang to be the one to fight him, although that would've been way too literal for the show that instead decided to play at Shang crossing Rin instead (speaking of which, the twist and cliffhanger where Rin discovers the truth about Shang's sword had me hyped. I wanted him to get Rin so badly.)

That, and for the entire time the show built Rin's character up as one who walks through life by the will of his own wit, who needs little more than a little bit of time to analyze a situation and his illusory magic to get whatever he wants. He's a trickster in a world characterized by brute force, which makes him especially dangerous to deal with and counter for the rest of the cast whom he'd been toying with the whole time. And it's his apathy for each characters' ethics in relation to his plans that makes him hard to empathize with for too much longer after they get into the castle. So when the sword suddenly came out last week I saw the writing on the wall and groaned.

In general, I'm a fan of old-school characterization, where there always has to be an empathetic impetus to a character's actions and a willingness on part of the universe to punish wrongdoing in a reciprocal way. It's what separates Rin from someone like Bugs Bunny, who could've easily been just as off-putting if not for the simple rule of making sure he never drew first blood before he went in and wrecked his rival's shit. So in spite of all of this, I'm still not sure whether or not Mie's last stand managed to pull Rin back from being irredeemable for me. He lost the game for sure, but that's really what all this was to him anyway- a game. Should he come back in the sequel I have no doubt he'll play the same character.

Rin's heelturn and the way his character and philosophy developed throughout is distasteful to me even if the writers gave me the satisfaction of making sure he lost the war (and having badass Shang be the one to bail him out of his mess), but that is still nothing more than excellent writing. There were multiple layers of conflict to the overall story that serve to give extra dimension to the characters, and to have me actively rooting for the villain in one of them is nothing short of masterful.

Yeah like I said, they tread a fine line with Rin, and while it worked for me in the end, its one of those cases that I don't think they could easily repeat twice. As someone mentioned, it can kinda undermine a lot of the tense moments that relied on the implicit assumption that Rin actually couldn't wreck everyone's day by himself, if not was going to be the one that got absolutely destroyed if he didn't somehow give people a reason not to kill him. With Shang's reveal at least, its not hard to see exactly how they could return to a functional status quo; he has no desire for the swords himself, and so only uses them as absolutely necessary. But with Rin, the danger in a character that has 'better than everyone' as one of their key traits - because lets face it that's why he gets the ridiculous sword skills in relation to his existing character - while also being deliberately obtuse over who they are and what they're capable of is that it makes an incredibly easy crutch in terms of storytelling, especially if one is trying to be 'subversive' with their ethics.

Which honestly makes me curious about the announcement of a 'sequel', especially when combined with the fact that a simple season 2 would be... actually kinda unusual for Pili's work, as best I understand it. If Rin and Shang's story is as difficult to tell as I kinda feel it would be, why not go for a spiritual sequel instead of a direct one?

Ascheroth

Yeah like I said, they tread a fine line with Rin, and while it worked for me in the end, its one of those cases that I don't think they could easily repeat twice. As someone mentioned, it can kinda undermine a lot of the tense moments that relied on the implicit assumption that Rin actually couldn't wreck everyone's day by himself, if not was going to be the one that got absolutely destroyed if he didn't somehow give people a reason not to kill him. With Shang's reveal at least, its not hard to see exactly how they could return to a functional status quo; he has no desire for the swords himself, and so only uses them as absolutely necessary. But with Rin, the danger in a character that has 'better than everyone' as one of their key traits - because lets face it that's why he gets the ridiculous sword skills in relation to his existing character - while also being deliberately obtuse over who they are and what they're capable of is that it makes an incredibly easy crutch in terms of storytelling, especially if one is trying to be 'subversive' with their ethics.

Which honestly makes me curious about the announcement of a 'sequel', especially when combined with the fact that a simple season 2 would be... actually kinda unusual for Pili's work, as best I understand it. If Rin and Shang's story is as difficult to tell as I kinda feel it would be, why not go for a spiritual sequel instead of a direct one?

Yeah, but you can't forget that while Gale may have 'better than everyone' as a trait, he still lost against Bones of Creation, because his personal winning conditions aren't simply 'just wreck them'.

Yeah, but you can't forget that while Gale may have 'better than everyone' as a trait, he still lost against Bones of Creation, because his personal winning conditions aren't simply 'just wreck them'.

Right, and that's why it works in this instance, but its also hard to repeat with consistently good results. Admittedly it worked especially well in this case because Rin's skills were thematically established, even if they otherwise came out of absolutely nowhere, so its one of those things you don't see coming but can understand in hindsight.

this show was great.

I'm glad they're already making a second season; need to see more of those classy puppets

The second season can be very interesting because they can't repeat themselves, they already showed the true nature of both Ling and Shang, the cat is out of the bag. So the nature of whatever new story they are going to tell have to be different than the one we had.

Voror

Actually, are we certain that the second season will feature Shang and Lin? The ending certainly leaned towards that, but I'm wondering about the possibility of just an all new cast.

Narag

Actually, are we certain that the second season will feature Shang and Lin? The ending certainly leaned towards that, but I'm wondering about the possibility of just an all new cast.

SOUHpvU.jpg
Above image was included in the announcement tweets when the first cour ended and it certainly seems to imply Shang & Lin +1.

jonjonaug

Above image was included in the announcement tweets when the first cour ended and it certainly seems to imply Shang & Lin +1.

I'm pretty sure the +1 is just a special puppet that Pili produced for TM Revolution. I don't think it's a new piece of promotional material either, but I could be wrong.

Is there a thematic or perhaps straight up practical production reason that most of the characters seemed to wield their swords left handed?

Is there a thematic or perhaps straight up practical production reason that most of the characters seemed to wield their swords left handed?

Possibly ease of production? Ie, if all the grip capable hands are the lefties, you just have to make that same sort of hand a bunch of times.

Go_Ly_Dow

My favorite moment in the entire show still remains the Bones of Creations introduction in episode 1.

I was like WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom