• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan X Launch / Review / Tears Thread

Im leaving the core at +200 for daily use, i tried +250 but it would crash after a few runs of firestrike ultra.
I´m having the same doubt about the memory. I didnt overclock it yet but after seeing the temperatures in reviews im a little worried, does it make any performance diference? Im wanting on the evga backplate that they confirmed to be in the works on their forums.

I was talking about the 5k video with 4 titans doing about ~20fps, seems really low.

by itself, not in most titles, but combined with a core overclock yes. the titan is surprisingly well balanced at stock speeds.

cyen

by itself, not in most titles, but combined with a core overclock yes. the titan is surprisingly well balanced at stock speeds.

Since i´ve done some RMA´s because of memory artifacts on past GPU´s i think ill wait until i get my hands on the evga backplate before overclocking the memory.

Daverid

What were your framerates and resolution on the 2 680s? What are you using and getting on TX SLI?

What is your system config for the new TX SLI system?

Exact same system setup in both instances, GPU's are the only difference.
Both GPU's at stock speeds (Never OC'd my 680's and kept the X's at stock for a fair metric).
Using the same game settings both times: 1080p, Ultra with Ubersampling on - Just doing a general walk around Flotsam.

1 680: 20-25 FPS
2 680: 40-45 FPS
1 Titan X: 60-80 FPS
2 Titan X: 70-90 FPS

Was just odd to see the 680's have such incredibly near-perfect scaling, and the extra X enabled does practically nothing (Should be noted I had very similar scaling results in Arkham City also, extra X was only providing an additional ~10FPS). However as I said, it's not like some huge major issue, because even just a single X destroys the SLI 680's in performance (And I still need to throw a bit of OC on the X). Just wondered whether perhaps it was something other people have noticed, driver issue, something on my end etc.

Cheers for the response and general interest mate, it's greatly appreciated over something relatively insignificant (I feel like I'm being a massive whinge here :S ).

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Exact same system setup in both instances, GPU's are the only difference.
Both GPU's at stock speeds (Never OC'd my 680's and kept the X's at stock for a fair metric).
Using the same game settings both times: 1080p, Ultra with Ubersampling on - Just doing a general walk around Flotsam.

1 680: 20-25 FPS
2 680: 40-45 FPS
1 Titan X: 60-80 FPS
2 Titan X: 70-90 FPS

Was just odd to see the 680's have such incredibly near-perfect scaling, and the extra X enabled does practically nothing (Should be noted I had very similar scaling results in Arkham City also, extra X was only providing an additional ~10FPS). However as I said, it's not like some huge major issue, because even just a single X destroys the SLI 680's in performance (And I still need to throw a bit of OC on the X). Just wondered whether perhaps it was something other people have noticed, driver issue, something on my end etc.

Cheers for the response and general interest mate, it's greatly appreciated over something relatively insignificant (I feel like I'm being a massive whinge here :S ).

What's your CPU? Entirely possible you're CPU bound on the new cards, especially in a UE3 game like Arkham.

Daverid

What's your CPU? Entirely possible you're CPU bound on the new cards, especially in a UE3 game like Arkham.

Well I have an i7 4790k OC'd to 4.6Ghz, so I wouldn't have thought that would cause a bottleneck, but perhaps it is due to dx9, the engine and whatnot.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Well I have an i7 4790k OC'd to 4.6Ghz, so I wouldn't have thought that would cause a bottleneck, but perhaps it is due to dx9, the engine and whatnot.

Yea, would think you'd be OK. Definitely try some more recent games, though, and see if everything is working properly.

In other TITAN X news, we posted a look at our $999 In Win Tòu custom glass PC that we used for TITAN X's unveiling at GDC: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...unning-showcase-system-for-titan-xs-unveiling

nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-in-win-tou-photoshoot-sidesli-watercooling-640px.jpg

Daverid

Yea, would think you'd be OK. Definitely try some more recent games, though, and see if everything is working properly.

Tested AC:U & Crysis 3 just to be sure, results match the other folk around here using SLI X's & stuff like AC:U observe near-perfect scaling (60-70 FPS with 1, 110-120 with 2).

So yea definitely something to do with the older games. Whether it's DX9, The Engine or Driver related I'm not sure, but oh well, even just the single X runs it at 4K reasonably over 60FPS, and hey, 8K @ 45 FPS is crazy too (If only my 4K monitor was G-Sync). Considering AC:U is a Gameworks title and it has that near-perfect scaling, boy am I looking forward to The Witcher 3!

Thanks for the help anyway mate, much appreciated.

Tested AC:U & Crysis 3 just to be sure, results match the other folk around here using SLI X's & stuff like AC:U observe near-perfect scaling (60-70 FPS with 1, 110-120 with 2).

So yea definitely something to do with the older games. Whether it's DX9, The Engine or Driver related I'm not sure, but oh well, even just the single X runs it at 4K reasonably over 60FPS, and hey, 8K @ 45 FPS is crazy too (If only my 4K monitor was G-Sync). Considering AC:U is a Gameworks title and it has that near-perfect scaling, boy am I looking forward to The Witcher 3!

Thanks for the help anyway mate, much appreciated.

Witcher 2 is known to have some issues with SLI performance. I wouldn't worry about it much :).

Witcher 2 is known to have some issues with SLI performance. I wouldn't worry about it much :).

The only issue it has anymore is that scaking is cut when you turn on cinematic depth of field and a cutscene with it is playing.

My GPU utilziation goes from 90s to about 60 or so.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Whew, finally picked up my two. I went with the Asus ones since the EVGA SC ones were taking forever. I decided the stock OC didn't matter much since I was planning to water cool anyway.

I'm going to be running a sadly unbalanced Frankenstein rig for a few more months with a 2600k until Skylake arrives, then I'll bring the cards over to that new build.

30IR

Banned
I was talking about the 5k video with 4 titans doing about ~20fps, seems really low.

I'm assuming that's my video(?).

The scaling in 4-Way SLI sucks because the drivers are fresh. Once they are somewhat mature, scaling should be much better.

sk3tch

The scaling in 4-Way SLI sucks because the drivers are fresh. Once they are somewhat mature, scaling should be much better.

Not really. 4-way SLI is a joke. 3-way is a semi-joke. Unless you're a bencher.

Not really. 4-way SLI is a joke. 3-way is a semi-joke. Unless you're a bencher.

3 way has been pretty good for a while now actually (always scales for me basically). 4 way has really never scaled well thought to my knowledge... beyon like 1 game every once and a while?

sk3tch

3 way has been pretty good for a while now actually (always scales for me basically). 4 way has really never scaled well thought to my knowledge... beyon like 1 game every once and a while?

I mean, 3x980 was good for me because of my main game being BF4 (very good support, overall)...otherwise, I'd say it is very, very safe to say a solid 75% (if not more) of games do not have 3-way or 4-way support at launch or ever. With SLI support period being the bonus.

So, my statement is just that, as a gamer, 3-way or 4-way is very useless in a huge percentage of scenarios. I'm sure everyone can agree it's a game of very high diminishing returns after 2-way SLI.

Just one big reason I'm on 2-way now after doing many 4-way and 3-way setups in the past. Even though benching and tweaking makes me want more. Spent the money on an Acer Predator XB270HU instead of doing 3-way SLI TITAN X. :)

Spent the money on an Acer Predator XB270HU instead of doing 3-way SLI TITAN X. :)

So freakin jealous. How is it? Worth the money? I was drooling over that monitor when I saw the specs, but I just can't imagine spending that much on a monitor. Even though the experience is probably leaps and bounds better than my QNIX QX2710.

sk3tch

So freakin jealous. How is it? Worth the money? I was drooling over that monitor when I saw the specs, but I just can't imagine spending that much on a monitor. Even though the experience is probably leaps and bounds better than my QNIX QX2710.

I love it. Big fan of G-SYNC. 2nd monitor (also have a BenQ XL2420G - which is what I upgraded from) and also have a G-SYNC-compatible ("unofficially") ASUS G751 laptop.

The value is subjective, I guess. For 27", 1440P, IPS, fast response rates, and G-SYNC - I think it's well worth it. Especially compared to my $600 BenQ XL2420G (which is still a great monitor, especially since it has two scalars so you can use it for non-G-SYNC purposes).

Monitor arrived in flawless condition (bought direct from Acer) - no dead pixels or screen issues of any kind. Colors are fantastic.

Gaming is a bit hard to get used to with a bigger monitor (like the smaller screen space for online multi-player - it's not like I'm that good; it's just that I need all the advantages that I can get, ha!). I used to run 5760x1080 triple display but I've sworn off NV Surround after dealing with issues and NVIDIA being unable to help me (although they did try). "Exotic" setups are just that. 1080p/144Hz was my goal afterwards. 3x980 was obviously overkill but I had intentions to play with 4-way again (possibly). Luckily (swinging back on-topic here, whew!) the TITAN X came out so it allowed me to simplify everything a bit.

I dunno. It's just an absolutely perfect gaming monitor for me. Coming off of BenQ XL2420T/TXs (120Hz) previously and the Acer gd235hz (120Hz). Just to be clear - the XB270HU is leagues better than those and also even the XL2420G. The colors and picture quality (secondary, always - to me) married with the great gaming performance...it's just perfect.

I'd say it's a much better "investment" today than a TITAN X if you're a gamer (I know you already have a TITAN X, jim2point0 - just speaking generally here :)). Wait for the inevitable 980 Ti which will probably drop shortly after the AMD 390X comes out (late Summer).

Raticus79

Now that I have enough displayport ports for it, I'm running the BenQ BL3201PH side by side with the ROG Swift PG278Q and have been switching back and forth. It's been interesting. For most games it turns out I actually prefer the bigger screen and the detail with the 4k/60 over the improved motion and responsiveness with the 1440/144. That 60 has to be solid though. I'd say the 1440/144 ones are more flexible and a better first choice for less expensive setups.

(I'm not playing competitively)

Smokey

Agree with sk3tch...I had Tri-SLI Titan Blacks and performance was suspect in a bunch of games. It looked cool though and I couldn't properly take advantage of the cards due to them running on air.

I may consider it again in the future if I could get all of the cards under water.

sk3tch

Agree with sk3tch...I had Tri-SLI Titan Blacks and performance was suspect in a bunch of games. It looked cool though and I couldn't properly take advantage of the cards due to them running on air.

I may consider it again in the future if I could get all of the cards under water.

Bah. F water. It's cool and all but I'm guessing that as Andy BNV said earlier - you switch your hardware out too often to mess with it. You gain like 10% performance. My TITANs were just fine in Tri-SLI temp-wise. The whole thing is overblown. Nevermind that you not only need to go "under water" but you have to start using custom BIOS to "get all that you can out of your TITAN X." It is cool...just not for me. If I had the time maybe I'd try to be a world-class bencher, but the gains for games is so irrelevant. Fun to tweak, though - I'm sure!!

Smokey

Bah. F water. It's cool and all but I'm guessing that as Andy BNV said earlier - you switch your hardware out too often to mess with it. You gain like 10% performance. My TITANs were just fine in Tri-SLI temp-wise. The whole thing is overblown. Nevermind that you not only need to go "under water" but you have to start using custom BIOS to "get all that you can out of your TITAN X." It is cool...just not for me. If I had the time maybe I'd try to be a world-class bencher, but the gains for games is so irrelevant. Fun to tweak, though - I'm sure!!

Temps were fine if you capped it at 80c or whatever, but they'd hit that wall so quick that they would immediately throttle. Water would remove that from happening. You'd have tons of headroom with the much lower temps to get the max performance out of the cards. That is what I meant.

Hawk269

If you use proper fittings for your loop and have quick disconnects at the proper places this is a mute issue. I have set up quick disconnects in my rig and switching out GPU's is a snap now. I have the water flow cut-off right before going into the GPU's and another one right past my drain port. Once the water is cut off, I just drain the water in the tubes near the drain port and water in the GPU blocks. Makes it really simple and quick.

Raticus79

If you use proper fittings for your loop and have quick disconnects at the proper places this is a mute issue. I have set up quick disconnects in my rig and switching out GPU's is a snap now. I have the water flow cut-off right before going into the GPU's and another one right past my drain port. Once the water is cut off, I just drain the water in the tubes near the drain port and water in the GPU blocks. Makes it really simple and quick.

Ah, cool, I'll keep those in mind.

For me, the main motivation is the fan noise. I always wound up running things at lower settings to keep the GPU out of mini-vacuum-cleaner-tier.

30IR

Banned
Just did a 3-Way SLI review of the TITAN X @ 5K.

The scaling is phenomenal. The release drivers (347.88) were utter crap and that's why the initial 4-Way review had some low scores.

4-Way SLI scales really well now as well.

Here's the 3-Way review: https://youtu.be/NQIc9MuP8ck

Those numbers are just phenomenal IMO @ 5K w/ maxed out settings.

sk3tch

The scaling is phenomenal. The release drivers (347.88) were utter crap and that's why the initial 4-Way review had some low scores.

Thanks for putting that together. Are you Baasha?

Smokey

What drivers are you using now?

Thanks for putting that together. Are you Baasha?

Yes.

Manac0r

Am curious about drivers too.... ?

Finally managed to get a stable OC of 1379, just still can't hit 1400 even with voltage up to 1.250v and 425W at TDP 121%. i heard you could connect two 8 pins to the .titan x but that doesn't seem to be the case...? Or would that not even matter?

ClearData

By some act of God I was able to to nab a EVGA Titan X today off Newegg despite them going up for sale and selling out late last night. It seems I got the last one too because it said out of stock after I completed my order.

So, since this is my first ever Titan series card I had a question with the system requirements.

Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply.
Total Power Draw: 250 Watts
PCI-Express-compliant motherboard with one dual-width x16 graphics slot
300 MB of available hard-drive space
24 GB system memory (48 GB or higher recommended)

Is that much system memory actually required? Because right now I am sitting at 16 GB and I'm going to have to order more if that's the case.

Raticus79

24 GB system memory (48 GB or higher recommended)

Is that much system memory actually required? Because right now I am sitting at 16 GB and I'm going to have to order more if that's the case.

Nah, just a typo. Pretty sure it was meant to say 2-4 / 4-8.

Th3Gr80n3

Neo Member
I 'm about to pull the trigger on a second Titan and I wanted to know if my motherboard would face some incompatibility problems. I have a Gigabyte Z97x UD5H and I was planning to put the second card into the PCI-E 3.0 x8 slot. It says the Titan X needs a PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot, so does that mean I would need a motherboard that has 2 PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots for SLI to work? Thanks again for the help guys.

riflen

I 'm about to pull the trigger on a second Titan and I wanted to know if my motherboard would face some incompatibility problems. I have a Gigabyte Z97x UD5H and I was planning to put the second card into the PCI-E 3.0 x8 slot. It says the Titan X needs a PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot, so does that mean I would need a motherboard that has 2 PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots for SLI to work? Thanks again for the help guys.

It'll work fine with the slots at PCI-E 3.0 x8. I have 2 x 780 Ti in the same configuration. Make sure your system memory is as fast as you can afford too. SLI can send a lot of data between the CPU and GPUs and I found that 1333Mhz DDR3 memory was causing performance problems in certain games.

Raticus79

It'll work fine with the slots at PCI-E 3.0 x8. I have 2 x 780 Ti in the same configuration. Make sure your system memory is as fast as you can afford too. SLI can send a lot of data between the CPU and GPUs and I found that 1333Mhz DDR3 memory was causing performance problems in certain games.

Yup, I have the same setup here with them in two x8 slots for now and it works.

Smokey

These cards are still about 150 USD above their MSRP. Yikes.

if you're gonna get these types cards, you gotta get in on launch day or very close after. i've been there for every titan launch and this usually happens. then when stock starts to come back on a regular basis, it's usually when serious rumors start creeping about the next card.

wait what? i thought you had titans?

i probably need to upgrade my memory, but i'm like...it's ddr3 is it really worth it at this point in time.

if you're gonna get these types cards, you gotta get in on launch day or very close after. i've been there for every titan launch and this usually happens. then when stock starts to come back on a regular basis, it's usually when serious rumors start creeping about the next card.

Yeah, the price here in germany is between about €1080 and €1150. I am really not sure what they launched at... I would imagine at similar if not even higher prices.

Did you get yours for $999?
i probably need to upgrade my memory, but i'm like...it's ddr3 is it really worth it at this point in time.

What is your current memory config?

NotUS

Some overclocking advice please for a novice.

I just purchased a Gigabyte TitanX and have installed Gigabyte Overclock Guru II.

Its a stock card without any additional cooling added.

Could/should I be overclocking this card to get the 10% boost people are talking about without adding extra cooling.

If it is reasonably safe, what settings should I have in Gigabyte Overclock Guru II, and what should I keep an eye out for once done?

Got a call from EVGA that supposedly they still haven't received the new batch of Titan X cards with the fix for the motherboard incompatibility fixed. Said it will be a couple more weeks...

;_;

Top Bottom