• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan X Launch / Review / Tears Thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Shadow of Mordor @ 5K maxed out uses 9.6GB of VRAM for me:

SoM_5K_2_Thumb.jpg

The resolution option goes up to 200%, so at 5K you're actually rendering the game at 10K.

So guys, what do you think. My choices are going to be.

Titan X and maintain my current monitor till some point in the future

or

€600-700 GPU + Acer XB270HU

Do you think it would be wise to grab the Acer monitor first and just wait for the Baby GM200?

My 120hz Asus VG236H is 5 years old this may...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The resolution is reflected in the settings, so I'm sure he had it at 100% if he says 5K.

Screenshots look pretty good at that resolution :)

He also said the settings were maxed out, which is why I offered the FYI. Digital Foundry made the very mistake I allude to and to this day still hasn't updated its article to reflect the fact that its "1080p" tests were actually 4K tests.

30IR

Banned
He also said the settings were maxed out, which is why I offered the FYI. Digital Foundry made the very mistake I allude to and to this day still hasn't updated its article to reflect the fact that its "1080p" tests were actually 4K tests.

Maxed out refers to the graphics settings in terms of quality - resolution scaling is not really alluded to from what I've heard.

Anyway, it's 5K meaning 100% @ 5120x2880. That already uses almost 10GB of VRAM. I suppose I could put everything to "Low" and try 200% but that kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

They need to make bigger motherboards and bigger everything! :D

Vxtb.jpg

So, what is the difference between the EVGA SC and the normal one? I remember reading somewhere something about it having a higher power limit or something.

Can you flash the bios of the card to an SC one if you have a normal?

Toki767

So, what is the difference between the EVGA SC and the normal one? I remember reading somewhere something about it having a higher power limit or something.

Can you flash the bios of the card to an SC one if you have a normal?

SC means superclocked. It basically clocks higher than the normal.

Not sure if you can flash the bios of it to a normal one.

I believe the average OC is around 1350mhz boost core. Some have gotten lucky with around 1400mhz.

Not bad! I'm considering offloading my 980s. They're great performers, but the vram is getting hit hard at 4k. Could wait for the next iteration of nvidia cards, but they'll probably be 6gb (maybe?) And even that would be too close for comfort. Any takers? Lol

For any that have tried (I'm assuming most), how well do the Titan Xs OC?

Some people are luckier than others.

My TitanX overclocked to +200 core, +350 memory, and was completely stable in countless benchmarks. +100mV on the voltage, and temps never exceed 73 degrees with an aggressive fan profile.

As soon as I started playing games though, I got driver crashes (Far Cry 4, GTA5). I've since had to lower it to +150, +200 in order to remain stable.

Some people are luckier than others.

My TitanX overclocked to +200 core, +350 memory, and was completely stable in countless benchmarks. +100mV on the voltage, and temps never exceed 73 degrees with an aggressive fan profile.

As soon as I started playing games though, I got driver crashes (Far Cry 4, GTA5). I've since had to lower it to +150, +200 in order to remain stable.

That sucks. It's definitely a roll of the dice sometimes.

Evo X

Not bad! I'm considering offloading my 980s. They're great performers, but the vram is getting hit hard at 4k. Could wait for the next iteration of nvidia cards, but they'll probably be 6gb (maybe?) And even that would be too close for comfort. Any takers? Lol

Yeah, I just checked my OC, and I'm running +180mhz core and +350mhz memory on stock voltage. I had it a bit higher before, but this is 100% stable on a huge range of games & benchmarks.

I am very happy with this card. Never have to worry about VRAM.

You shouldn't have any issue selling those 980s. I sold mine to a fellow gaffer today. Post them up for a fair price in the B/S/T thread.

Seems like a lot of people are in the market with the recent release of GTA 5 and upcoming stuff like Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight.

Yeah, I just checked my OC, and I'm running +180mhz core and +350mhz memory on stock voltage. I had it a bit higher before, but this is 100% stable on a huge range of games & benchmarks.

I am very happy with this card. Never have to worry about VRAM.

You shouldn't have any issue selling those 980s. I sold mine to a fellow gaffer today. Post them up for a fair price in the B/S/T thread.

Seems like a lot of people are in the market with the recent release of GTA 5 and upcoming stuff like Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight.

That's good to hear. I think I've made up my mind to sell the 980s. Much appreciated!

I decided to try +180 +350 for shits and gigles. Just did 3 rounds of Battlefield 4 @4K with no problems. Never dropped below 60. Mostly hovered around 70-80.

I love this card so much, I'm thinking about getting another :p

Grassy

Trying to decide whether to go for Sli 980's or a Titan X at the moment. I will also be buying one of those Acer 1440p G-Sync monitors. Thoughts?

Smokey

Why are they (and certain other hardware) limited to x units per order?

Not sure.

But they've been available directly from them since day 1. It's where I got mine from. I guess people want EVGA versions for warranty and support which is completely understandable. But if you really want a Titan X, you have an option.

I decided to try +180 +350 for shits and gigles. Just did 3 rounds of Battlefield 4 @4K with no problems. Never dropped below 60. Mostly hovered around 70-80.

I love this card so much, I'm thinking about getting another :p

So while +180, +350 is completely stable in Battlefield 4 after several hours of playing.... I only lasted 10 seconds in Grand Theft Auto 5.

Guess I'm going to need game specific profiles....

JJKillaNOLE

Neo Member
Not sure.

But they've been available directly from them since day 1. It's where I got mine from. I guess people want EVGA versions for warranty and support which is completely understandable. But if you really want a Titan X, you have an option.

Yup. Ordered an EVGA Titan X from Amazon over a month ago. Never got an update on the shipment. So I canceled the order yesterday and purchased one directly from Nvidia. It has already shipped.

Well, the new card I got seemed to have resolved the motherboard incompatibility issue. I'm a happy camper over here.

The drivers definitely needs some work though. I'm getting random framedrops in 4K and seem to still struggle at running everything maxed out 60fps.

Either way I'm very happy with them so far. Now I'm just waiting on MSI Afterburner to update so I can see if I can get more than 200 MHz of core overclock with adjustment to voltages.

Yup. Ordered an EVGA Titan X from Amazon over a month ago. Never got an update on the shipment. So I canceled the order yesterday and purchased one directly from Nvidia. It has already shipped.

I admire your patience. I maybe would have made it (maybe) a week before looking elsewhere. Lol

Edit: If I can find a buyer for my 980s, I think I'm going to order direct from Nvidia. I'm an impatient bastard. :p

Edit2: New Titan X on its way to my door. :D

So I've been playing with my SLI Titan Xs for a little under a week now and the performance seems lower than it should be. At 4K, I'm getting framerates that are much much lower than what people were reporting when the cards launched (Unless the GTA V drivers made things super wonky).

For example, Crysis 3 on max with no AA runs at 50-60 until I reached Welcome to the Jungle. And now it runs at like...35-45. I know Smokey and others were getting waaaaaaaaay higher framerate than that.

It shouldn't be my CPU as it is pretty overclocked...

Rig:
i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz
G1 Sniper 3 MB
24GB RAM
Samsung 840 PRO SSD
GTX TITAN X SLI
Corsair 1200W PSU

Smokey

So I've been playing with my SLI Titan Xs for a little under a week now and the performance seems lower than it should be. At 4K, I'm getting framerates that are much much lower than what people were reporting when the cards launched (Unless the GTA V drivers made things super wonky).

For example, Crysis 3 on max with no AA runs at 50-60 until I reached Welcome to the Jungle. And now it runs at like...35-45. I know Smokey and others were getting waaaaaaaaay higher framerate than that.

Rig:
i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz
G1 Sniper 3 MB
24GB RAM
Samsung 840 PRO SSD
GTX TITAN X SLI
Corsair 1200W PSU

Are your cards throttling? Try running benchmark like Heaven or 3DMark as well.

viveks86

Rig:
i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz
G1 Sniper 3 MB
24GB RAM
Samsung 840 PRO SSD
GTX TITAN X SLI
Corsair 1200W PSU

That is really strange. What is your CPU and GPU utilization when it drops? I still continue to get 50-60 on welcome to the jungle on stock.

ASIC Quality of 72.8%.

That is more than satisfactory. (My non-overclocked boost is usually around 1190 in comparison to the "vanilla"
1089)

Rig:
i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz
G1 Sniper 3 MB
24GB RAM
Samsung 840 PRO SSD
GTX TITAN X SLI
Corsair 1200W PSU

Which part of Welcome to the Jungle?

bee

Rig:
i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz
G1 Sniper 3 MB
24GB RAM
Samsung 840 PRO SSD
GTX TITAN X SLI
Corsair 1200W PSU

you're being bottlenecked by your 2600k cpu, it only supports pci-e 2.0 and at 4k this most definitely matters

The CPU usage seem to be pretty consistently high in usage...GPU usage often drops down to 50-60 in several games (And I've never seen it go above 99% despite being set to 110% in Afterburner).

It's right at the beginning of Welcome to the Jungle. Prior to walking through the minefield and then running through the plains with rockets being shot at you.

I'll try running 3DMark when I'm home.

EDIT:
you're being bottlenecked by your 2600k cpu, it only supports pci-e 2.0 and at 4k this most definitely matters

I was fearing that xD

Finally got my EVGA Titan X in and it feels great! ^_^

What is "NVIDIA Multi-Frame Sampled Anit-Aliasing"? Is it just a fancy wording for supersampling?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

I bet there's a fair number of us stuck in this situation due to waiting for Skylake to upgrade from the 2600k. *raises hand*

Just curious, are there any performance monitoring tools out there that would actually alert someone to this kind of bottleneck? Everything looks fine in GPU-Z, but it's obviously not an ideal situation.

Definitely, saving up to buy 2 of these beasts myself.
Side note, nVidia's site is out of stock ATM (availability, May 14th).

I'd have gotten two, and I probably still will at some point, but money has been a little tighter than normal lately.

As an aside, my new card was reaching 84* with the stock fan profile at 100% load. Is that normal? Seems high to me. I've got a custom profile going now, but it's a little loud.

Smokey

I'd have gotten two, and I probably still will at some point, but money has been a little tighter than normal lately.

As an aside, my new card was reaching 84* with the stock fan profile at 100% load. Is that normal? Seems high to me. I've got a custom profile going now, but it's a little loud.

Depends on a lot of factors, number one being the cooling in your case. That said, I've never ran a stock fan profile. I've immediately gone in and made a custom fan profile for my cars. But noise doesn't bother me all that much. The noise it's generating won't be audible to me as I game with headphones anyway.

Depends on a lot of factors, number one being the cooling in your case. That said, I've never ran a stock fan profile. I've immediately gone in and made a custom fan profile for my cars. But noise doesn't bother me all that much. The noise it's generating won't be audible to me as I game with headphones anyway.

I'm running what is essentially a test bench, so horizontal and almost completely open air. Drives and psupply are on the bottom shelf of the case under the motherboard. I have two 140mm fans on front intake to keep air moving over the board. One of those fans is hitting my cpu and the other is blowing air past the card. Room temp is about 72* F. I've got the card's fan running at ~60% and temps are hanging at 74* C.

Edit: Just went back through some benchmarks from a month ago and it seems like that's normal'ish for the stock fan profile. Still, seems high to me. Don't these cards start throttling at 83*?

x3sphere

I said I wasn't going to get one of these but I caved lol. EVGA SC arrived today :) Pairing it with a i7 5930k, Asus X99 Deluxe, and 32GB RAM.

Just started replaying the original Crysis at 3440x1440 on my LG ultrawide and it's definitely a big improvement from my 980. Still such a beautiful game.

Card is pretty quiet at stock, don't notice much of a difference in noise levels from my reference 980.

gsub.png

I said I wasn't going to get one of these but I caved lol. EVGA SC arrived today :) Pairing it with a i7 5930k, Asus X99 Deluxe, and 32GB RAM.

Just started replaying the original Crysis at 3440x1440 on my LG ultrawide and it's definitely a big improvement from my 980. Still such a beautiful game.

Card is pretty quiet at stock, don't notice much of a difference in noise levels from my reference 980.

gsub.png

Beautiful card. I wonder if Crysis still drops below 60 when you get into CPU heavy situations? It's up there with GTA4 in terms of CPU optimization.

Smokey

Don't these cards start throttling at 83*?

By default, yes.

gsub.png

You now have a complete, high end system. Leave 6GB to the 980Ti plebs!!

no but seriously, congrats :p

Top Bottom