• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan X Launch / Review / Tears Thread

i dont think its necessarily a given that custom versions will be released

Andy confirmed custom versions from board partners.
Zonked out on the sofa, my bad :)

- Don't know when the cards will be available from EVGA and others. That's a completely different department and I don't have visibility on those decisions
- Custom coolers are in the works from various people
- GeForce.co.uk direct sale availability date TBC, so won't speculate at this time
- The real Smokey has clearly been replaced by an imposter. Real Smokey would have bought 4.
- Anything else I miss?

Hawk269

Same situation here. I talked to customer service and they said the order needs to be verified before they initiate shipment. Kinda bullshit, given that they charged the card already.

Did they say when plan to verify your order? Seems strange not to even get a email yet and to your point, they already charged my card, so what is there left to verify if they are already taking the funds?

viveks86

Did they say when plan to verify your order? Seems strange not to even get a email yet and to your point, they already charged my card, so what is there left to verify if they are already taking the funds?

They said it will normally happen well within 24 hours, but their official stance is "up to 72 hours". You will receive the email only after it has been approved.

I'm guessing the issue is exclusive to dual card buyers (that too first time on the nvidia store), because the amount exceeds some threshold that requires verification. A little irritated by it, but I'm out of town till midnight tomorrow anyway, so I wouldn't mind a slight delay. But if they don't figure this out by tomorrow, I'm gonna be pissed.

knitoe

I paid for 2 with PayPal. A minute later, I got emails from Nvidia and PayPal. Not sure why people aren't getting any emails.

Serandur

My thoughts after reviews:

What an overpriced piece of garbage:

-no custom PCBs
-no backplate
-reference, blower-style cooler and heatsink only
-hot
-loud
-coil whine
-locked voltage
-6+8 pin power connectors only
-pitiful FP64 performance
-$1000
-will be easily beat out or matched in all of the above and roughly matched in end-performance by much cheaper "GTX 1080"s and/or the R9 390X within months

This thing could be the same price as its custom, numbered, and inevitable 6 GB counterpart ("GTX 1080" or whatever it's called) and I still wouldn't even consider it over that.

My recommendation to anyone looking for the real high-end products, I suggest waiting a few months for more sanely-priced and equipped models from both Nvidia and AMD. The Titan X is just for show and maximum milking, not practicality or function.

Smokey

Same here Smokey.

Do you realize man that for the last few years we have been getting the same tech at the same time and in the same quantity when it comes to GPU's? Remember our Lightnings? Lol. It is funny to think back over the years where one of us would make the move first with the other right behind or almost at the same time. Here we are both ordering 2 Titan X's right after each other! Too funny!!! :)

Damn

Those Lightnings were a long time ago. Some of my favorite cards though. You've taken the leap to water though. I'm getting close to doing the same. I have in my head how I want my loop to work, it's just doing it. I get legit. spooked. lol

You didn't jump with me on the Titan Blacks though :p.

Hawk269

Damn

Those Lightnings were a long time ago. Some of my favorite cards though. You've taken the leap to water though. I'm getting close to doing the same. I have in my head how I want my loop to work, it's just doing it. I get legit. spooked. lol

You didn't jump with me on the Titan Blacks though :p.

I actually had 3 Titan Blacks Hydro Coppers, but sent them back after about a week or so to Amazon since it still was not really getting me 4k/60fps with max settings in several games. So technically, I did get Titan Blacks!

viveks86

Just got my email! Phew!

BzfbEyi.png

ShowDog

So are nvidia and AMD moving to a new process next year? It seems worthwhile to wait if you're satisfied at 1080p and are an upgrade every 5 years kinda guy. My 580 is still getting it done for now.

joesmokey

Tempted to upgrade my original Titan to this (3 years running), however I think I'll wait until at least Witcher 3 benchmarks are out.

Gaming at 1440p can be pretty rough but I am not sure if this card will be the holy grail for that.

viveks86

Did they call you or anything for verification? Just curious as it was my wife that placed my order this way I can let her know to expect a call or something.

Nope. It just happened. I'm literally on a plane to Washington DC :D

Now I can sleep in peace!

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Did they call you or anything for verification? Just curious as it was my wife that placed my order this way I can let her know to expect a call or something.

They didn't call me.
All I got was the email, it took like 5mins to arrive though

viveks86

Just got our email as well. No phone call or anything. Right after I replied to you I received the email confirmation. Now we wait for our shipping email notifications!!!

Awesome! Can't wait. Should be back home tomorrow midnight. Don't think I'd get sleep without installing it and trying a game or two.

Smokey, you getting smoked lol.
I was like fuck it, I bought 1 (almost bought 2) lol

What are you stepping up from, and will you be selling the old stuff here? I ask because I know how awesome you are in the B/S/T thread and am trying to beat others to the potential punch.
3AQmK.gif

Redmoon

Going from 2 680 Classy's to 2-3 Titan X's. Gonna be a nice jump.

Probably wont be upgrading till at least 2nd gen pascal at the earliest. Unless 1st gen is truly amazing.

Hawk269

So will 4 of these run most games in 4k/60fps with max settings or are we still not there yet?

Joke post?

Some of the tests are indicating one Overclocked Titan X can pull of 4k/60fps in several games, but I would say 2 in SLI easily based on the benchmarks released so far.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review

Read the above article, bottom page is a listing of games tested at 4k with a OC Titan Black. Most of the games are hitting 4k/60fps with a single card.

Hawk269

I doubt it'll run Crysis 3 at 4k/60fps though. May be it would get real close if they are over clocked. Hopefully DX12 makes it a lot easier.

According to DF, a single Titan X OC at 4k did the following with Crysis 3:

3840x2160 (4K)

Crysis 3, High, SMAA 61.8 fps

viveks86

Those two cards cost as much as my entire x99 5930k build.

Yeah. Given that I'm getting back to PC gaming after 10 years, I wanted it to be a little special :)

TitanX-SLI-Crysis3-4K.jpg

you were saying sir

According to DF, a single Titan X OC at 4k did the following with Crysis 3:

3840x2160 (4K)

Crysis 3, High, SMAA 61.8 fps

Holy shit. Not sure what benchmarks I was looking at. Anandtech? Anyway, those are insane numbers, then :D

EDIT: Here it is:

72484.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9059/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review/6

Since performance on this card is so excellent and I'll be gaming on a 1440p monitor and not a 4k one I'm just gonna rock a single Titan X for now. I'll wait to go sli for Pascal

Hawk269

TitanX-SLI-Crysis3-4K.jpg

you were saying sir

At that is at stock with no overclock!!! Apparently, they are OC pretty good with no voltage being added since Afterburner and others programs don't have the ability to do it just yet. Imagine the OC once you can apply a little more voltage?

viveks86

At that is at stock with no overclock!!! Apparently, they are OC pretty good with no voltage being added since Afterburner and others programs don't have the ability to do it just yet. Imagine the OC once you can apply a little more voltage?

Given that is overclocks so well, don't think I'll bother with more voltage. We are going to need a new beast of a game to warrant that.

Is the Titan X fully DX 12 tier 3 compliant? Because if it's not that's kind of a deal breaker.

It's full "feature compliant" (DX12.1). Tier 3 compliance is specific to bindless resources which will not be available on maxwell. AMD GCN is the only tech that supports that at this point. Titan X will have tier 2 compliance, which is considered to be more than adequate future proofing.

Hawk269

Yeah. Given that I'm getting back to PC gaming after 10 years, I wanted it to be a little special :)

Holy shit. Not sure what benchmarks I was looking at. Anandtech? Anyway, those are insane numbers, then :D

EDIT: Here it is:

72484.png

You also have to remember at 4k and depending on the game you can turn off AA solutions and not notice it at all because the resolution is so high, jaggies are not as apparent. Again, this is game dependent because with current original SLI Titan's there are some games even at 4k can benefit from a little bit of AA.

Yeah, I am really giddy about finally being able to 4k/60fps everything and have some room to spare with 2 of these cards. Witcher 3, 4k/60fps bliss I welcome thee!

Hawk269

Given that is overclocks so well, don't think I'll bother with more voltage. We are going to need a new beast of a game to warrant that.

Yeah, so far most review sites have been able to apply +200 to +250 to the core in addition to memory bumps with no extra voltage and no crazy 100% fan as well which says a lot for the potential with voltage and water cooling.

I astounds me that people have 2,000+ dollars to just toss away on a graphics card.

I need a new card real bad but don't want to spend more than 500 bucks what do?

Smokey since performance on this card is so good and I plan on getting an over clocked EVGA model do you think I should go for a 4k monitor instead of 1440p?

It seems like a single card should handle 4k on a lot of games. Or do you think it's still better with a single Titan X to go for a 1440p one?

Top Bottom