• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan X Launch / Review / Tears Thread

The PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5, this card has 12GB, so it's basically 50% faster.

Actually because of coding to the metal, you need a GPU twice as powerful to match a console. So although the paper specs put the Titan X at 50% more powerful (12gb vs 8), you would actually need 16gb GDDR5 to match the PS4.

Zaph

Actually because of coding to the metal, you need a GPU twice as powerful to match a console. So although the paper specs put the Titan X at 50% more powerful (12gb vs 8), you would actually need 16gb GDDR5 to match the PS4.

Don't forget the fixed system specs benefit. Really need 32Gb GDDR5 to make up for the overhead.

Buburibon

That, and the PS4 is only $399. PC gamers just can't win... sorry.

Don't forget the fixed system specs benefit. Really need 32Gb GDDR5 to make up for the overhead.

That, and the PS4 is only $399. PC gamers just can't win... sorry.

c20447790fac4ad9999b16024a368617.jpg

Smokey

lul

Mutes you already placed your order or what

Can you do 4-way Titan X? Some serious Crysis 3 benchmarks there.

Are you going to post any 4K screens here or the PC screen thread?

lul

Mutes you already placed your order or what

Not available in convictland yet. Even if it was, a family thing came up last week and I forked out ~14k that might not be returned to me until near the end of the month. So it'd be a really tight purchase in the meantime. It's looking like I might wait for the TX's baby brother later in the year. ;___;

Unless it's still in stock and I can get it for a "reasonable" price (lol)

x3sphere

Sticking with my 980 for now. I'm just not seeing a compelling reason to upgrade. If I was gaming at 4K I would, but I have no plans to move to 4K until an affordable OLED TV or monitor is out. I have the 1080p OLED and it's a world of difference compared to LCD, to the point where I'd rather have the lower res over 4K LCD. The superior contrast ratio makes such a difference.

Azzurri

Sticking with my 980 for now. I'm just not seeing a compelling reason to upgrade. If I was gaming at 4K I would, but I have no plans to move to 4K until an affordable OLED TV or monitor is out. I have the 1080p OLED and it's a world of difference compared to LCD, to the point where I'd rather have the lower res over 4K LCD. The superior contrast ratio makes such a difference.

Me too.

If I can find a GTX 980 for around 400-450 and I would add another though.

knitoe

It's a TN panel. You can tell since it's 1ms. Personally, to go with the Titan X, I would wait for the IPS GSync coming out soon. If need now, one of those TN GSync.
Sorry for the crosspost from the PC thread, just seeing if anyone here would know what's up.
Have your tried reinstalling the drivers if the custom > fresh option?

LordOfChaos

You don't buy by per dollar if you are buying a Titan card. You buy because it is the best. Period.

Take another look at the first one. Not the framerate champ regardless of its price.

But arguably frame percentiles matter more. Less jank, even if the other solution has higher frame rates.

It's a TN panel. You can tell since it's 1ms. Personally, to go with the Titan X, I would wait for the IPS GSync coming out soon. If need now, one of those TN GSync.

Those will be / are expensive though right? $500 is my limit right now for a monitor

vilmer_

Those will be / are expensive though right? $500 is my limit right now for a monitor

They will be very expensive. That Asus that you originally linked is one hell of a deal for $450. Those things usually run for $700+. It's a fantastic monitor for that price range and I would jump all over that deal.

knitoe

Probably, $700-1000, but worth it if you can increase your budget. Now, I can't see myself buying a monitor without GSync or Freesync.

And, nice, I just got my shipping email notice from Nvidia.

Koutsoubas

I think the Titan X is for the fools that will pay a ton of money, before nVidia releases their actual worthy card - Pascal based with a very big gain in performance.

From what I've heard, the PS4 is around equivalent to a GTX660 GPU.

In the GTX___ number series, the first number is simply the series (so 9 is newer than 7), and the next two are generally indicators of their position/power in that series (so 80 is better than 60). This means just from naming you can probably tell that a GTX980 is a few leagues faster than a GTX660, because it's two series newer (they skipped the 800 series on desktop) and two models faster.

A GTX760 would typically also be more powerful than a GTX660 despite still having the "60" in the model name, just because they're normally more optimised or improved in some form from being newer.

It's not completely right but that would be the basic gist of how it works.

Pretty much all of these cards fit between the Titan X and the GTX660 in terms of power, so I'll list them to demonstrate the gap between PS4 power and Titan X PC power:

GTX660, GTX670, GTX680, GTX760, GTX770, GTX780, GTX970, GTX980, Titan X

Even a GTX660 and a GTX780 are miles apart in power, so hopefully that illustrates it a bit.
Thanks for writing this, I'm a total newbie to understanding PC tech, and it's nice to find someone took the time to write an informative answer through all the snarky shit posts.

XBP

Yeah. Given that I'm getting back to PC gaming after 10 years, I wanted it to be a little special :)

Holy shit. Not sure what benchmarks I was looking at. Anandtech? Anyway, those are insane numbers, then :D

EDIT: Here it is:

72484.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9059/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review/6

There is a difference in IQ. You can get ~60fps on a single titan in Crysis 3 by changing the settings to high. At very high its still not possible to run crysis 3 at 4k @ 60fps. Gamespot's review shows the titan averaging at 28fps.

Just like the 980 I dont think that this is the perfect card for 4k gaming and maximum IQ. Unless someone wants to tone down a few settings (which I dont think they would, considering they just spent 1000$ on a GPU) it would be better to wait for pascal and get the $1000 card based on that architecture.

Probably, $700-1000, but worth it if you can increase your budget. Now, I can't see myself buying a monitor without GSync or Freesync.

I guess it's just one of those things you have to see in person. Right now it just doesn't click why G Sync is such a big deal. It's like if I'm already getting 60fps anyways what difference does it make?

I believe everyone who says it's great but without seeing it it just hasn't really clicked with me

Momentary

Banned
The sad thing about all this is, AMD will release their new deal GPU, then NV is just going to follow up with their Ti card... just like they did last time.

Vesper73

Just like the 980 I dont think that this is the perfect card for 4k gaming and maximum IQ. Unless someone wants to tone down a few settings (which I dont think they would, considering they just spent 1000$ on a GPU) it would be better to wait for pascal and get the $1000 card based on that architecture.

This is the plan, along with Intel's next generation processor (eight core Skylake?). In fact, SLI Pascal for VR as well.

Gonna be one hell of a build party. "That first power button press stress!"

PFD

That makes sense. I stand corrected

Smokey

As much as I'd love a Titan X, it seems like I'd be much better served picking up a second 970.

Well yeah. That's what...close to a $650 difference in price? If you have a 900 series card you should not be thinking about upgrading IMO.

viveks86

Well yeah. That's what...close to a $650 difference in price? If you have a 900 series card you should not be thinking about upgrading IMO.

Agreed. If I had a 900 series, I'd wait for Pascal too.

Now I'll wait for Pascal gen 2 (unless Pascal completely blows my mind)

Btw I'm still waiting for my tracking number :(

Top Bottom