• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall: 15 maps at launch (?), perk lists, game modes, Map Photos, ahoy!

a916

I don't get the relevance? The consumer still pays the same price. And i don't think "100's" worked on MW2. Infinity Ward only has a little over 100 employees atm.

They outsourced a of their stuff whereas I'm not sure if Respawn has yet. The point was, you can't expect less people to make more stuff.

Moreover having more doesn't mean it makes one less valuable than the other... both cost $60 but at the end of the day it's the value to the consumer that matters most and not map count (especially when we have no idea if the other maps are good or horrible)

Arkage

Banned
This also needs to stop. I don't see nothing wrong with that like I don't see nothing wrong with Single player only games.

I see something wrong with games that charge $60 for just single or just multi. I almost always wait for price drops on games unless it's a super epic experience. After playing the beta of Titanfall I can safely say that this is just a frantic shooting box with mechs. Any proclaimed "story" elements are going to be so pointless that nobody's even going to bother with them since everything takes place on the MP maps and it's always vs real people. And if you're OK paying $60 for a shooting box because it's your favorite genre, fine, but don't expect people like me to go along with it. The point is that I would gladly pay full price for this game if it had a full-on single player campaign (assuming improved AI, lol), but as it is I'll have to disappointingly sit this one out.

Drainer

Banned
People have a strange way of judging a games "value" I've come to realise.

Is a garbage game that gives you 30 maps being MP only giving you more value than an amazing game you'll play for years that only has 15?

Is there some set metric by which we measure said "value" of a game? What about games that are single player only? Aren't they less valuable given they have less replay value than a multiplayer title?

Amir0x

Banned
Just got back, all the images and info has been updated into the OP. Once again, big ups to Razor for his amazing work. We now have some solid info about what to expect from the money we spend on launch day, and informed consumers are happy consumers :D

Elixist

no search and destory or true moba mode. D: the horror!

14 maps sounds nice, the 2 in the beta have alot of fucking depth im excite.

I see something wrong with games that charge $60 for just single or just multi. I almost always wait for price drops on games unless it's a super epic experience. After playing the beta of Titanfall I can safely say that this is just a frantic shooting box with mechs. Any proclaimed "story" elements are going to be so pointless that nobody's even going to bother with them since everything takes place on the MP maps and it's always vs real people. And if you're OK paying $60 for a shooting box because it's your favorite genre, fine, but don't expect people like me to go along with it. The point is that I would gladly pay full price for this game if it had a full-on single player campaign (assuming improved AI, lol), but as it is I'll have to disappointingly sit this one out.

Even if that full on SP campaign is garbage? How are the SP campaigns in COD Ghosts and BF4?

Chuck

Still without luck
I'm totally okay with Titanfall being multiplayer only.

That is just not enough content for $60.

Raide

Exactly, we really shouldn't be judging the quality of Titanfall as an overall package yet.

Neither should we be fully judging it based upon a Beta/Demo. So far the maps seems solid, so unless they change something and all the maps suck, it should do ok.

15 maps is a bit less than I hoped for, but still a good amount.
And since it seems that all of the playlists are 6v6, which means all the maps will be used all the time.
Usually in shooters the map pool is split between big maps and small maps.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Honestly I expect the leaked 16 maps is accurate, Respawn didn't shoot it down like they could and judging by the increase in maps found by data mining it seems very likely to be the case.

Amir0x

Banned
Honestly I expect the leaked 16 maps is accurate, Respawn didn't shoot it down like they could and judging by the increase in maps found by data mining it seems very likely to be the case.

Yeah since we're at 15 already, going to 16 is a nice even number.

That's actually quite a considerable number of maps, especially considering they have to be lateral in nature. I don't think anyone should be disappointed in that number

Lingitiz

15 maps is a bit less than I hoped for, but still a good amount.
And since it seems that all of the playlists are 6v6, which means all the maps will be used all the time.
Usually in shooters the map pool is split between big maps and small maps.

That's another good point. The maps could actually be much better if they don't need to cater to a bunch of different modes and player counts. We'll see though, some of them could be real stinkers.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
If they take bots out and replace with real players this game will be Godlike

I personally don't have ANY problem at all with the AI - I understand its purpose.

With that said, for people who don't like the AI's inclusion or who want bigger player counts - I wonder if Respawn could later add a game mode that got rid of the AI and gave players a new role to replace the AI in - keep the 6v6 pilots, but perhaps create a new type of idea for players that wouldn't be pilots (so that way you won't destroy the game with more than 12 titans because I don't think the game can support more than that).

Amir0x

Banned
I don't know why devs are afraid of options anyway. Let's say they just allowed a secondary match list where bots were removed, but player count was upped 8 v 8. What harm would that do to their supposed "preferred" set up with the bot modes? Nothing that I can see. Just give people more options. GUess you could say it could split some players, but there will be enough Titanfall players to not worry about at least having these sorts of options.

It's such an easy thing to do to tinker with options like that once the foundation is in place. Would the game like start to fall deep under 60 with two extra pilot players and two extra A.I. Titans?

Not a big deal, just wondering.

GavinGT

Banned
Training Ground looks like an expanded version of the training level. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was one free downloadable map at launch, bringing the count up to 16.

Raide

I don't know why devs are afraid of options anyway. Let's say they just allowed a secondary match list where bots were removed, but player count was upped 8 v 8? What harm would that do to their supposed "preferred" set up with the bot modes? Nothing. Just give people more options. GUess you could say it could split some players, but there will be enough Titanfall players to not worry about at least having these sorts of options.

It's such an easy thing to do to tinker with options like that once the foundation is in place. Would the game like start to fall deep under 60 with two extra pilot players and two extra A.I. Titans?

Maybe they can do some variety thing and test Pilots only mode. They do have Last Titan Standing, so they must have a pilot version right?

I would like to see a Test one and just play around with random modes.

J-Rzez

I want MP-only, focused MP games. I've said this numerous times already. But it has to be justified. This is 2014, this is a "big" title, I expected perhaps more maps and especially modes than this. The weapon selection is very-very limited among both Titans and Pilots. Abilities and such are on the shy side as well.

I also came to expect some form of persistent landscape as well. Map control and such.

Have they stated there's a robust clan system in this? I question this because the CoDs these guys did before had jack shit for clan support outside of throwing a tag in your name, a tag that anyone then was able to grab lol.

I don't know why devs are afraid of options anyway. Let's say they just allowed a secondary match list where bots were removed, but player count was upped 8 v 8. What harm would that do to their supposed "preferred" set up with the bot modes? Nothing that I can see. Just give people more options. GUess you could say it could split some players, but there will be enough Titanfall players to not worry about at least having these sorts of options.

Not a big deal, just wondering.

I had a game earlier where there was 6 or 7 Titans running around at the same time and it was absolutely hectic as hell. I can't imagine anything more than that, let alone the potential for 4 more Titans with 8 vs. 8. I guess I could see if it was just Pilot vs. Pilot and no Titans, but as long as Titans are in the mix, I can easily see why it's limited to 6 players on each side.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I had a game earlier where there was 6 or 7 Titans running around at the same time and it was absolutely hectic as hell. I can't imagine anything more than that, let alone the potential for 4 more Titans with 8 vs. 8. I guess I could see if it was just Pilot vs. Pilot and no Titans, but as long as Titans are in the mix, I can easily see why it's limited to 6 players on each side.

Limit the number of Titans on the field to 12.

Raide

Limit the number of Titans on the field to 12.

Nothing will suck the fun out of a game more that having a Titan and you cannot call it because they are all full. Kinda like having CoD stuff and you cannot call it in.

Of course Titans don't last that long, so the above might not be a major issue but it would still suck to have toys that you cannot play with.

Drainer

Banned
I personally don't have ANY problem at all with the AI - I understand its purpose.

With that said, for people who don't like the AI's inclusion or who want bigger player counts - I wonder if Respawn could later add a game mode that got rid of the AI and gave players a new role to replace the AI in - keep the 6v6 pilots, but perhaps create a new type of idea for players that wouldn't be pilots (so that way you won't destroy the game with more than 12 titans because I don't think the game can support more than that).

Yeah the complaints about bots seem a tad premature.

I personally would prefer they're not there, that's just me, but I understand their purpose and believe and in the bigger picture would serve that purpose. But I assume Respawn could simplay add a no bot playlist in the same way they can add a Pilot only playlist.

hawk2025

Nothing will suck the fun out of a game more that having a Titan and you cannot call it because they are all full. Kinda like having CoD stuff and you cannot call it in.

Of course Titans don't last that long, so the above might not be a major issue but it would still suck to have toys that you cannot play with.

Why?

You are already waiting 3 minutes or less depending on your kills. What's another 30 seconds, given all the other potential gains to gameplay?

Amir0x

Banned

I mean I understand for some people that might be too hectic. But the good thing about options is that you serve all needs, not just those who might find this current set up "just right." Without the option, you only serve the group who believes it's good enough currently. The alternative is serving all groups.

I used to play RTCW maps with 64 players, and you'd spend hours just trying to gain even a single room of the map. Many people hated that many players, and the game clearly wasn't designed for it. And yet I loved it, and so did those playing it. I don't care how hectic something is, as long as my skills can be provided an ample outlet to massacre shit :)

Hyun Sai

Guys, the problem is not the value the game offers for the price. The problem is when the competition offers more for the same price.

xxracerxx

Waiting a few seconds for a Titan to blow to call yours in doesn't seem that bad. I was just saying there are options out there that could work.

Amir0x

Banned
but the competition does not offer the same type of game with the same type of lateral gameplay. It's important to understand these maps have to be built with the wallrunning and climbing and rocket boosting in mind, as well as have ample space for the Titans. There's a lot of intricate considerations going on in a Titanfall map that many other modern shooters do not share, for as much similarities as they do have.

Raide

Waiting a few seconds for a Titan to blow to call yours in doesn't seem that bad. I was just saying there are options out there that could work.

I hope they try out stuff! They are pretty stuck in what they want but there is no harm in trying out stuff. It might actually be fun!

but the competition does not offer the same type of game with the same type of lateral gameplay. It's important to understand these maps have to be built with the wallrunning and climbing and rocket boosting in mind, as well as have ample space for the Titans. There's a lot of intricate considerations going on in a Titanfall map that many other modern shooters do not share, for as much similarities as they do have.

Also a good few of these gams are just recycling maps. A few additions here and there and they charge players again in the majority of cases.

How many titans is a good value here, draw me up some numbers.

MechAssault had 20 Mechs and a single player mode. It was one of the first big Xbox Live games. The average Mech Warrior game has about 20. So I would say about there. I know Titanfall has a lot of other stuff to consider so I would still say it would be a value if it was 10 mechs. 3 makes it seem like it should be a budget title.

xxracerxx

I hope they try out stuff! They are pretty stuck in what they want but there is no harm in trying out stuff. It might actually be fun!

Yeah I hope they do. I bet on PC we shall see custom games within 6months.

Honestly, (most) people buy these games for MP regardless of price and generally skip or don't care for SP.
Why do people say this? Any proof saying the majority of players don't touch SP?

Top Bottom