• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 multiplayer trial coming, Nov 30 for EA/Origin Access, Dec 2 for everyone

Cryxo93

Banned
I like the way this game plays. But I just can't twitch play like I used to. I have no problem with RS: Siege or Overwatch. KD is always high in those games and working towards the objective is really satisfying, even in BF1 where I die all the time on PS4 because lack of mouse and keyboard.

I can see myself buying this at a later point where it's cheaper and having an absolute blast with the single player though. Don't get me wrong, the multiplayer is fantastic. But a little too twitch based for my taste. A little too chaotic.

I like the way this game plays. But I just can't twitch play like I used to. I have no problem with RS: Siege or Overwatch. KD is always high in those games and working towards the objective is really satisfying, even in BF1 where I die all the time on PS4 because lack of mouse and keyboard.

I can see myself buying this at a later point where it's cheaper and having an absolute blast with the single player though. Don't get me wrong, the multiplayer is fantastic. But a little too twitch based for my taste. A little too chaotic.
The twitch comment is interesting. I play with a controller on PC and am usually at the top of the board. So, there are other ways to play than swivelling like a mad man. That said, you do need a pretty high hip look speed most of the time so I guess you could say it's a little twitchy.

ironcreed

Banned
Like in R1, the best Sniper play was gdlk hipfiring or quick-scoping with the Longbow. It's okay to use something like the G2 or Hemlock while camping to get some kills/build time, but dealing damage to Titans (hopefully with your own) is generally the best way to score in both Attrition and Bounty Hunt.

Sounds like just a matter of learning to balance it out, without just sniping all the time. That is what I would want to do anyway. I really just want to drop back a bit until I start getting more into the flow of things.

Really? I saw some guys plinking the hell out of folks last night, including me, lol. Seems like it will at least be fun to play around with sometimes.

Nice gif, by the way. This is almost like a first person Vanquish on steroids of sorts. It actually seems like something a Japanese team would make, which is meant as a compliment.

Use the G2 or the Hemlock. They're snipers and assault rifles at the same time ;)

I get that this game is too much for some. I'm gen 4 and if I'm not fully focused I still don't do so hot. I still think there are a couple things Respawn could have implemented to make the game more beginner friendly while keeping the skill ceiling high, the most important of which is skill based matchmaking.

I'm also a broken record when it comes to the ttk being too fast to make the game feel "fair", which I think a lot of modern shooters suffer from (brought on mainly by COD).

Cryxo93

Banned
The twitch comment is interesting. I play with a controller on PC and am usually at the top of the board. So, there are other ways to play than swivelling like a mad man. That said, you do need a pretty high hip look speed most of the time so I guess you could say it's a little twitchy.

Maybe I'm playing it wrong.
I'll try with a controller, but I imagine I'll be worse off. I've noticed a lot of people hip fire as opposed to down sights. Does that help most of the time?

KodaRuss

Well I seem to be only getting the same map for LTS. Four times. I'm on the Mixtape playlist. What gives?

It seems to happen sometimes. It took me almost a week to play Dry Dock and when I did I played it like 10 times in a row.

Back out of the matchmaking and jump back in

Damnit. The game is back at full price on psn. It was like $36 last night. Went to sleep then woke up and BAM.. more butter! ... sucks. I was going to impulse buy with my $10 psn credit to get it at $26.

The game is pretty solid. Only three games in but it has that feel, man!

Gonna have to wait for a deal now tho :(

Well I gave it a fair shot. Played 10 more matches after my last post.

Whatever it was that I loved in TF1 (played 100+ hours)... I'm not getting it here. Still hate the UI even after disabling half the shit, and the maps aren't convincing me. I don't really like any of the Titans either, and unlike TF1, it's impossible to customize them in any significant way. It just feels like a step back in a lot of areas.

jorgejjvr

Damnit. The game is back at full price on psn. It was like $36 last night. Went to sleep then woke up and BAM.. more butter! ... sucks. I was going to impulse buy with my $10 psn credit to get it at $26.

This, I need a deal..

Cryxo93

Banned
Bought. Finally got the hang of it. Excellent multiplayer. I can see myself rotating between RS: Siege, Overwatch and this for a long time.

Q8D3vil

Dont give up early, i dont play online shooters like COD and i was extremely terrible at the beginning.But now im doing pretty good most games ( even though my average ping is 150)

few tips :
- Make different loadout for different stages of the game.
- learn about the tactic ( especially how to counter titans ).
- Tone is pretty good for beginners.
- While grapple might be fun, try stim.

ironcreed

Banned

Discounted for 2 more days on Xbox One and so is Battlefield 1. I can't make up my mind.

Cindro

Without a tutorial, this free play weekend ain't fun at all. I only played one match because I got bodied so hard due to not knowing all of the mechanics and controls.

Oh well - I'll get it for the campaign when it's at TF1 prices.

deoee

Without a tutorial, this free play weekend ain't fun at all. I only played one match because I got bodied so hard due to not knowing all of the mechanics and controls.

Well you could always ask or start a private match to fiddle with the controls etc. :3

ironcreed

Banned
This game is weird. One minute I am getting destroyed and it feels like a complete clusterfuck and then in the next match I dominate and topped the board. Switching to the Tone titan helped a lot as well, though.

deoee

This game is weird. One minute I am getting destroyed and it feels like a complete clusterfuck and then in the next match I dominate and topped the board. Switching to the Tone titan helped a lot as well, though.

Yeah Tone is super easy to pick up and use and very very strong against Pilots.
I myself find her very boring to play compared to the other Titans tho.
But she is very good for getting map knowledge and a good feel how Titan combat works. etc.

Join the TitanGAF network and group up.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm doing a lot better, but it still feels a bit like a clusterfuck at times. I guess I am coming to the conclusion that it is okay, but I am not blown away by it or anything. I could probably get all I wanted out of it in the trial and walk away satisfied.

I don't know, there is just too much of an emphasis on traversal mechanics that really does not add to the fun factor for me. I'd probably be happier with Battlefield 1 over the long haul, but I have not written this totally off yet.

I'll try with a controller, but I imagine I'll be worse off. I've noticed a lot of people hip fire as opposed to down sights. Does that help most of the time?
I use the CAR exclusively and hip fire it while running a lot. Almost never ADS. There are a few ways to play the game based on your weapon choice. It does mix it up a bit. I'm not suggesting a controller would help, but it's the only option I have where my computer is set up. It certainly makes the movement more comfortable. It influences how I move and where I move, which may be why I'm getting myself into situations where I'm not finding twitch reflexes to be that big of a deal. Also, no confirmation from me, but I think there's some auto aim with the controller which helps the run and gun play style a bit.

Animator

Yes, hip fire is how you should play this game with most of the guns. That's what you have been doing wrong. Pick up a SMG and just hip fire while running around like crazy.

Can anyone give me some Ronin tips? I'm doing so bad with him unless I get his core power then I go slice and dice everyone.

Basic mode of attack: dash toward enemy and unload all four shots from leadwall, arc wave, phase dash *through* enemy while reloading, turn around and shoot them again. Rinse and repeat.

Don't underestimate the usefulness of arc wave. It slows enemy titans and messes with their vision like a stun grenade.

Be careful with phase dash because if you phase dash inside an enemy titan you instantly die.

Don't be afraid to follow through with the "run" in "hit and run."

Once you unlock the "battery back up" boost use it as the extra shield increases survivability a lot. You can also just rodeo them.

Can anyone give me some Ronin tips? I'm doing so bad with him unless I get his core power then I go slice and dice everyone.

Hit and run, Ronin is all about flanking around enemy titans and hitting them in the back. If it looks like you took a turn into a bad corner (3 enemy titans staring back at you) just back the fuck out of there asap- Do not feel like you're pressured into committing to an attack if you don't think you could push it all the way.

Despite having a sword, the shotgun still does the most damage up close. I use the sword for chasing down and killing pilots which btw Ronin excels at.

Open an attack with your Arc wave to stun-slow-disorientate your target before moving in for the kill. Use dashes and your phase shifts to dance around a target. Sword Block protects you up to like 80% of the damage you would otherwise have taken, keep you guard up if you're backing off.

For Titan Kits I recommend [Extra Dash] or [Nuclear Eject]. 3 dashes gives you a big movement advantage vs other titans and helps you to chase down escaping pilots. Nuclear eject turns you into a bomb and if you catch enemies in a good corner you can take them out.

For Ronin Kits I recommend [Thunderstorm] for an extra Arc Wave or [Temporal Anomaly] for faster cooldown on your Phase dash.

Late on this, but in case it helps you or others, hip firing is very viable and one of the best ways to play

deoee

I'm doing a lot better, but it still feels a bit like a clusterfuck at times. I guess I am coming to the conclusion that it is okay, but I am not blown away by it or anything. I could probably get all I wanted out of it in the trial and walk away satisfied.

I don't know, there is just too much of an emphasis on traversal mechanics that really does not add to the fun factor for me. I'd probably be happier with Battlefield 1 over the long haul, but I have not written this totally off yet.

Coming from Battlefield 1 it feels like shit and the kills have a way more bullshit feeling after placing Titanfall.

Battlefield still is fun but I'm rather booting up Titanfall 2 instead of being frustrated over dumb camping team mates on battlefield.

As I played the trial, I just can't believe just how great movement feels in this game. And I've played a decent amount of TF1.

You can sprint, go into a crouch-slide, jump and combo it into a wall-run. It gives off the kind of exhilarating freedom and verticality that other military shooters lack. I have found myself just screwing around like this in matches just for the sheer enjoyment of traversal.

I've got to get this game.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Whatever it was that clicked for me in TF1 isn't here in TF2 whch is a shame. Maybe i'll take another look when they release frontier defence.

It's a hard pill to swallow but this is mechanically a very different game from titanfall 1. It still doesn't click for me.

It's a hard pill to swallow but this is mechanically a very different game from titanfall 1. It still doesn't click for me.

It isn't nearly as good as Titanfall 1 in most aspects. Titans are boring, the bunny hop got changed, they added camper friendly things like the a wall and anti pilot turrets.

It was all changed to make the game more casual friendly.

I have the trial on origin installed but can't play for another few hours, so I hope it doesn't end soon.

I just want to see if I can warm up to the changes and try the game out on pc for the first time.

Izuna

Banned
After 5 hours of Bounty Hunt playlist... I finally get Angel City!

ueFz60v.png

... I joined in progress to a super losing game! ;( 4-5 too! If I leave, it still counts as a loss
please fix respawn

2GECgbu.gif

Full Clip (Amped + Archer gave me a full Titan super quick)

Luckily:
Tone + Nuclear + Phase Shift + Hemlock + Amped Weapons are all S-class

RIhKtlV.png

So we won by a landslide....

Dear me where do I start.

Everything feels like you are walking through glue, clambering has a pointless movement pause at the end of the animation, enemies glow in the dark, knife map hack is stupidly op, titans that can't change up much, it just feels horrible overall. No titan shield is STUPID and just there so timmy and his grenade launcher can kill a titan, titans are not as fun and even though I was trying my best it seems half of these titans do not have a dash?

This is like going from quake 3 arena to Quake 4 MP, ball dropped, or even halo 1-2-3 to halp 4 MP everythnig is just wrong and no one, not one person asked for these changes.

Only good thing I can say is that the game ran well on my gtx 950 but one of the filters made the game look like a jaggy mess until I turned it off.

Well, still don't like it and still don't regret refunding it. It all depends on where you live really, I guess too. If you live in Asia stay the fuck away from this DOA game.

Joyful

Everything feels like you are walking through glue, clambering has a pointless movement pause at the end of the animation, enemies glow in the dark, knife map hack is stupidly op, titans that can't change up much, it just feels horrible overall. No titan shield is STUPID and just there so timmy and his grenade launcher can kill a titan, titans are not as fun and even though I was trying my best it seems half of these titans do not have a dash?

This is like going from quake 3 arena to Quake 4 MP, ball dropped, or even halo 1-2-3 to halp 4 MP everythnig is just wrong and no one, not one person asked for these changes.

Only good thing I can say is that the game ran well on my gtx 950 but one of the filters made the game look like a jaggy mess until I turned it off.

lol

Izuna

Banned
dear me where do I start.

• All Titans can have a dash if you spec for it (Turbo Engine kit)
  • Map Hack is actually not that great of a buff, and Sonar Knife would have to be used instead of much better Tacticals ~ it's not something everyone should have (though I agree, it sucks and isn't fun)
  • Non-rechargable shields does suck... And it's partly why the Titan balance shifts so much in the favour of Tone. However, you can use a Boost to start with a battery (which is just health) for every time you get in a Titan
  • It's really a shame that they didn't offer some Campaign. That's the real reason to buy this game and this free weekend might discourage those who probably would have wanted to play it. I imagine the numbers to drop about 30k once the weekend is over.

I asked for these changes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom