• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall boosts Xbox One UK sales by 96%, Tea and Crumpets for all!

Kysen

I would go and find the FIFA numbers but I'm posting from an iPad. But if we can figure out how much TF sold we can get some idea of the hardware number (70% hardware in bundles).

Spaghetti

price cut and pack-in did it. 96% might be considered a middling sales gain, all things considered.

if you offer extra stuff and chop the price, uk consumers will usually bite.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DBp1gKX.jpg

Castef

Banned
This is good news for Microsoft.

Aaaaaand.

This is horrible news for Microsoft.

Good, because... well... the console is selling more and the game is working as a killer application.

Horrible, because they are actually creating a fan base on a game they do NOT own and which most probably will end up (maybe even in a better shape) on the concurrent console (that is, PS4, you know).

All in all, a very delicate situation for Microsoft.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Good bump. Will be interesting to see its "long term" effects. Especially once te 360 version releases.

Vinc

I don't think anyone is trying to downplay anything. I genuinely expected something more impressive myself. I expected that price drop + Titanfall + Bundle + Retailers cutting prices further would pack more of a punch. I love Titanfall, I love my Xbox One, I just expected it to be really big, and so far many things seem to hint towards the fact that it wasn't as big of a launch as expected? I'll wait for official numbers regardless.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The eye-catching £399 Xbox One Titanfall bundle, which includes a download token of the game, accounted for over 70 per cent of all Xbox One hardware sold last week.

Pretty legit. lol

What I don't understand is the doubling FiFA 14 while being the biggest release of 2014. Since FiFA 14 didn't release in 2014 so are they talking about it's January sales? And being the biggest release in 2014 doesn't give us anything meaningful to compare against.

Aaaaaand.

Good, because... well... the console is selling more and the game is working as a killer application.

Horrible, because they are actually creating a fan base on a game they do NOT own and which most probably will end up (maybe even in a better shape) on the concurrent console (that is, PS4, you know).

The point is brand association much like COD they expect all future Titanfall games to sell best on XB1

I doubt the sales were that good in the first place considering the price drop after 3 months and the fact that a lot of places are reducing the price to try and shift units. I don't think this 96% increase is actually a lot when you consider just how much MS has put into marketing this game.

MS not giving any specific numbers should say it all really.

Vinc

Aaaaaand.

I think they'll try to buy permanent exclusivity (and fail), and I think they're otherwise banking on the Mass Effect effect, even though the situation is much different this time and it probably won't happen. But yeah, I guess people may associate the brand with the console, much like they did with franchises that were previously exclusive to the 360 and Call of Duty...

Castef

Banned
I think they'll try to buy permanent exclusivity (and fail), and I think they're otherwise banking on the Mass Effect effect, even though the situation is much different this time and it probably won't happen. But yeah, I guess people may associate the brand with the console, much like they did with franchises that were previously exclusive to the 360 and Call of Duty...

Heh, the "Mass Effect Effect" worked because that game has a plot spreading along its various chapters.

The same can't be completely true for a game like TitanFall.

Clearly both since 70% of XB1 consoles sold were the Titanfall bundle.

Well, yes, that would be the intelligent answer. Just seems odd that they are pinning it alll on TitanFall. Would have been interesting to see if just a price cut would have had the same effect (probably not).

Vinc

Heh, the "Mass Effect Effect" worked because that game has a plot spreading along its various chapters.

The same can't be completely true for a game like TitanFall.

Oh I agree, I don't think either of the things Microsoft is hoping for/banking on will pan out. Buying exclusivity rather than developing your own content is rarely a great strategy as far as I'm concerned.

Steroyd

96% is a good jump no matter how you spin it considering how bad ps4 was outselling the XO. More sales equals more competition which equals better services for the consumer end. I like it.

No! Eating into the each other's marketshare equals more competition, if both are on track to sell 100 million then what's to stop both of them getting complacent? Why bother fighting for consumer dollars when all software splits are 50/50 etc etc.

Mikey Jr.

96% certainly sounds great. But like people said, these are weekly numbers, and we don't know what it sold the previous week.

Not surprised at the bump. Tf has been hotly anticipated for a while. Kinda more interested how they do in countries they don't do well in. Will it give them a bump there?

Vinc

All I know is that for a game pinned as "the most anticipated game of the generation", SO FAR it doesn't sound like it's selling as much as they expected. I'm also concerned about the fact that we still don't have hard numbers almost a week after launch.

Hyun Sai

We'll have to wait for actual numbers to put things in perspective. Nobody cared when 360 had sometimes a 100% weekly boost in japan, from 1000 to 2000 units sold, right ?

StuBurns

Banned
Oh I agree, I don't think either of the things Microsoft is hoping for/banking on will pan out. Buying exclusivity rather than developing your own content is rarely a great strategy as far as I'm concerned.
I think it was just last minute measure to secure a AAA exclusive, not that it was ever intended to be MS's new MO.

TitanFall 2 will probably sell better on PS4 than XBO, but that doesn't mean it wasn't important now.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm starting to think MS were pretty smart with this...
If the 360 version is 30fps and uglier (which it will be) they can get people hooked on that version and then if people like the game enough (which they will because it's fucking awesome) they will upgrade to the better looking, smoother running X1 version.

I wasn't necessarily a believer before but I think word of mouth will lead to a massive boost in X1 sales in US and UK over the coming months.

I know this is anecdotal but three people at work, who expressed no interest in X1 previously, bout the bundle over the weekend. Those people are raving about the game this morning and now others are considering picking it up as well. Word of mouth is strong for this game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No! Eating into the each other's marketshare equals more competition, if both are on track to sell 100 million then what's to stop both of them getting complacent? Why bother fighting for consumer dollars when all software splits are 50/50 etc etc.

Clearly they both aren't and these are business here. They want to increase their revenue by eating into competitors market share.

Why do you think Coca Cola still bothers to advertise quite often despite practically everyone knowing what coke is?

Top Bottom