• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Gameplay Footage (Embargo Lifted)

Wait, there's only one Titan in the beta? I hope that's faulty info, because that's a huge issue for me.

My big concern about this game has always been how it will be balanced, mainly because this team's last game (MW2) had a bunch of glaring game balance issues that ended up ruining what was otherwise a pretty cool game for myself and all of my friends (Pro versions of perks, Commando knife lunges, and the entire design of the Killstreak system immediately come to mind as bafflingly imbalanced). They need to prove to me that they can properly balance a MP game again, and having a beta where all the Titans, perks, weapons, and customization options were available would sufficiently ease my mind.

If the heavy Titan has some crazy powerful weaponry or if the quick Titan is as mobile or moreso than a pilot, that would fundamentally change the way the final game is played for everyone versus what everyone has played so far and will play in the beta. But if they're not going to even include something as fundamental to the core gameplay as the two other Titans, then what other potentially unbalanced elements are they keeping out of the beta?

I was hoping (actually presuming) that the beta would be equivalent to the final game as far as customization goes so they could collect data to tune the final game, in addition to it being so close to launch. I was hoping that I could have a few days with the PC beta and determine if the game was deep enough and was well-balanced enough for me to enjoy. But if the beta is really missing such core gameplay features, then I guess my only option, if I even feel like doing it by then, is to depend on Origin's refund system by buying it and then playing enough to make a decision to keep or give back within 24 hours.
Burn Cards are destroying that balance. We've seen what randomness and "perks" have done to Halo's balance, so there goes any semblance of that for Titanfall.

I hate when developers give that BS excuse of "trying to help players," when in reality they're only hurting everyone. The game would've been fine without this unnecessary fluff that will most likely frustrate a lot of players.

This game will live and die based on the map designs, weapon balance, movement speed, etc. basically the things that propell a FPS or pretty much any game to excel. So far I like what I'm seeing and I feel like this is the right step for respawn after COd4 which was the best COD.

Not surprised to see people going 'lol cod with mechs" though. Gameplay design is not something most of gaf I fimilar with. That was quite evident after the twenty page bitch thread on how this is 6 v 6. Sadly gaf is made up of a bunch of casuals.

"Casuals" is what made COD successful.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really excited that actual clips count, I was also expecting to see active reload in there but it wasn't. I love active reload.

ironcreed

Banned
Good God at that smart pistol. You can kill 4 guys with one shot without any real aim. Just make sure they are inside that giant reticle and pull the trigger. Maybe a bit overpowered.

I'll be there day one, but I think I will get bored of this game rather quickly.

the 6 v 6 just is meh.

Should have gone for 12 v 12 at least + the AI.

Maybe Titanfall 2

BY2K

Membero Americo
You lose your remaining ammo in your clip if you reload with some left in it. Nervous reloaders am cry.

Seanspeed

Banned
Wait, there's only one Titan in the beta? I hope that's faulty info, because that's a huge issue for me.

My big concern about this game has always been how it will be balanced, mainly because this team's last game (MW2) had a bunch of glaring game balance issues that ended up ruining what was otherwise a pretty cool game for myself and all of my friends (Pro versions of perks, Commando knife lunges, and the entire design of the Killstreak system immediately come to mind as bafflingly imbalanced). They need to prove to me that they can properly balance a MP game again, and having a beta where all the Titans, perks, weapons, and customization options were available would sufficiently ease my mind.

If the heavy Titan has some crazy powerful weaponry or if the quick Titan is as mobile or moreso than a pilot, that would fundamentally change the way the final game is played for everyone versus what everyone has played so far and will play in the beta. But if they're not going to even include something as fundamental to the core gameplay as the two other Titans, then what other potentially unbalanced elements are they keeping out of the beta?

I was hoping (actually presuming) that the beta would be equivalent to the final game as far as customization goes so they could collect data to tune the final game, in addition to it being so close to launch. I was hoping that I could have a few days with the PC beta and determine if the game was deep enough and was well-balanced enough for me to enjoy. But if the beta is really missing such core gameplay features, then I guess my only option, if I even feel like doing it by then, is to depend on Origin's refund system by buying it and then playing enough to make a decision to keep or give back within 24 hours.
Yea, its called a beta for a reason.

What you seem to want is a demo. Understandable, but that's what it is.

Good God at that smart pistol. You can kill 4 guys with one shot without any real aim. Just make sure they are inside that giant reticle and pull the trigger. Maybe a bit overpowered.

You have to lock on 3 shots to kill a person, only the AI can be killed multiple at a time.

noobasuar

Banned
"Casuals" is what made COD successful.

No they didn't. I'd say "dudebros" made it popular. And they know just as much about good gameplay design as I do or they wouldn't have played it. Just because they choose to play 1 or 2 or maybe zero games every year doesn't make them into the stupid people most people assume them to be.

I'd say most of gaf is the casual audience that's just concerned about graphics and story while design isn't something they care much about.

Bloomers

Even last gen was paid on xbl.

My point is that I will never be able to enjoy any aspect of this title's gameplay at all without shelling out $60 and then change just for XBL. I can't think of any other fully priced 360 game where this was the case.

Their purpose is to be dumb, and to die fast, so everyone playing can feel like he's a badass mofo. People tend to play more with those games they're good in.

This can not be understated. People who are average or below will love the game because they can get easy kills. This is what propelled COD in the first place - everyone thought they were good due to the dumbed down mechanics. Joe Dumbass always replied "I'm good at that game" with a smile any time COD was mentioned back when it first became popular.

Milennia

Oh good, judging from the videos there seems to be more weapons than what we have seen before.

That was one of my biggest fears tbh.

Awesome. Now people can see what I was playing in the Alpha and we can finally talk about it.

Most fun FPS there's going to be out this year. Looking forward to it. GOTY Nominee!

aravuus

Graphics are just ugh and I really hate the clip system, something like that should never be in an arcade game like this. And there's no denying it really looks like CoD with mechs and jetpacks.

But goddamn do I love me some CoD, the game looks like a LOT of fun. I really hope I'll get in the beta.

e: also the amount of player stats and challenges and such the game has is fucking awesome, i love that stuff

No they didn't. I'd say "dudebros" made it popular. And they know just as much about good gameplay design as I do or they wouldn't have played it. Just because they choose to play 1 or 2 or maybe zero games every year doesn't make them into the stupid people most people assume them to be.

I'd say most of gaf is the casual audience that's just concerned about graphics and story while design isn't something they care much about.

Yes, but the reason they liked it was because it was so simple to get into. Say what you want about COD4, but multiplayer was made to be easily accessible. You were feeling like a badass even when you weren't doing that well most of the time.

EDIT: Also if you believe in what you are saying what's the point of AI in Titanfall??!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Fun fact: All pre-sets usernames of the Beta for the journalist seems to be all famous scientist names.

Cyborg

Two things:

1. The game looks realy last gen....graphics arent that impressive.
2. The game looks so empty, to many people.

Sublyminal

Neo Member
Really does look like CoD with mechs. I'm hoping it will be better, since I enjoyed the hell outta Modern Warfare. I'm going into this open-minded.

kaskade

The ammo thing is pretty crazy. Playing CoD I found that not reloading right after a kill saved me from death quite a bit. The ammo thing will definitely make people much more conscious about when they reload. It's kind of funny though having that realistic of a mechanic in a very unrealistic shooter.

Top Bottom