• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall on 360 delayed to Mar 25th for "finishing touches"

Mechazawa

The tin hat stuff about 360 media for Titanfall is more than a little ridiculous, peoples.

Titanfall, for being one of EA's supposedly biggest release, has put out practically fuck all for media. We got significant dumps at E3, GDC and then it's basically been silent ever since. I'd be surprised if we've ever even gotten any official Xbox One media, outside of that leaked Alpha.

Why would EA bother showing off a second banana port when they're not even showing off the best of what they're going to be offering.

Amir0x

Banned
Quite frankly, I don't see how one can be sad/sorry for them. You don't walk away from Activision to join EA and expect it's all gonna be good and different. I don't know how they didn't see that one coming (they did but just wanted the monies is my guess).

Honestly, I think they didn't realize how poorly the XBO would be received relative to the PS4, and by the time the magnitude of what happened dawned on them, it was probably too late to do anything. Because then Microsoft was coming to EA to try to secure permanent exclusivity for Titanfall, which key Respawn employees said was a complete surprise to them all. Prior to that, they had been dropping subtle hints that it was coming to PS4 down the line.

I think their expectations were Microsoft would be a good way to get off the ground running because they won't have to worry about the cost of production, but that its later introduction onto most other platforms would guarantee its place alongside Call of Duty and Battlefield. No matter what, I think it's very clear that sort of competition has been delayed until the sequel.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I mean yeah if the theory is they did it to push for xbone sales ... makes sense to do that ... just make it a 2 month xbone exclusive problem solved.

Well I already own the Xbox One so that would do nothing but force me to either wait or buy a shittier version of the game.

I can see why Xbox One execs would want this, but gamers?

Amir0x

Banned
I mean yeah if the theory is they did it to push for xbone sales ... makes sense to do that ... just make it a 2 month xbone exclusive problem solved.

I think there would be no way they would be that insane, even for a fat sack of cash. Then you're actually limiting sales for two entire months to a platform that'll likely barely have over 4 million sold by the time it launches, with historical data that shows most games never get more than a 60% attach rate (to say nothing of the fact that multiplayer only games have a far better rate of success on PC, because there actually are almost no high profile multiplayer only successes on consoles).

It would imo be pretty devastating for a studio like Respawn trying to establish the brand as a big time competitor to Call of Duty and Battlefield.

Impeccable said:
I really hope no one is naive enough to buy that "finishing" touches stuff.

For some no matter how many times Microsoft lies this gen, there is never any reason for skepticism :p

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

Yeah, put me down for the "MS delaying the 360 version to entice people to buy Xbones" theory.

watership

Are people holding out for the 360 version for real? They haven't shown the 360 version yet and my guess is because they don't want you to see it. You can bet it looks very bad compared the this pc/xone. Especially if people here think the xone version looks horrid.

Are people holding out for the 360 version for real? They haven't shown the 360 version yet and my guess is because they don't want you to see it. You can bet it looks very bad compared the this pc/xone. Especially if people here think the xone version looks horrid.

1. They never show the worst version of things because why would they? So it could be very close and it still wouldn't matter
  2. Bluepoint is a very competent developer so I have faith in them
  3. MS has every incentive to push TF as if its XB1 only, and would discourage focus on the 360 version

Amir0x

Banned

what do you mean 'holding out'? Most people who are the likely consumers to buy Titanfall would own a PC or a 360, not an Xbox One. And most people who do not own an Xbox One are not going to pay $560 (game+console) for the pleasure of playing Titanfall, when they could just pay $60 and play a game that functions exactly the same but just looks worse on one of two platforms they already have access to. And Titanfall isn't a looker to begin with, so I doubt it'll be particularly ugly on 360.

I don't think certain people realize how big of a jump it is going from mentally preparing for a $60 purchase vs. a $560 purchase. That is not chump change at all. Titanfall is going to be perfectly playable for the crowd who is into these games on PC and 360, but that's a huge leap to make on a whim to then want an XBO for a relatively minor incremental visual update when if they wanted to go that route they may potentially have a high end PC that could make it look even better.

Kinyou

Not surprising. I bet MS and Sony would have preferred to delay the xbox 360/ps3 versions of all the cross gen games.

Amir0x

Banned
Wait, you actually believe that?

it's actually not entirely implausible. We've had games that run 1080p on PS4 with superior visual effects and 720p on Xbox One, and since Titanfall is already reportedly 720p on Xbox One, it's possible that 360 will have a sub-720p resolution, but in terms of raw technical comparison, the gap would in theory be technically larger than that of this game. Titanfall is not a looker to begin with, low geometry, mediocre textures even in its non-alpha state, not terribly expansive maps. It's not a technical marvel.

Of course this says nothing about the gap between the hardware itself, since clearly the gap between XBO and 360 is much larger than the one between PS4 and XBO (although it's still quite large)

Nafai1123

Banned
People really think it's getting delayed to encourage people to get a XB1? If that was the case, why wouldn't they push back the PC version as well. I seriously doubt that 360 gamers will have a problem waiting a couple more weeks to play it, especially since they'd have to plunk down $500 to do so.

I find it much more likely that the game does need a bit more work, and they've realized that a large portion of their player base will be playing on the 360. If it's a shitty port, people who do upgrade down the line may be more hesitant to pick up the sequel.

I really hope no one is naive enough to buy that "finishing" touches stuff.

I hope you're not naive enough to believe software never gets delayed, because this sort of thing happens all the time.

I certainly think it's possible this is strategic, but I also think it's quite possible the 360 version is getting finished a little behind schedule.

I don't think they'll look very different at all.

Please just take your trolling avatar and go away. You're being ridiculous and you are obviously on the XB1 hate wagon.

No, if it was the realistic version, they'd delay it longer. Two weeks won't do much if the game is a mess. More than likely, the game is looking great on 360 and MS want's to avoid opening that can of worms as much as possible. Seriously scummy, it's like they Want to be hated. I wonder why MS didn't just outright pay for them to also cancel the 360 and PC version. They may as well have while they're at it.

EA probably pushed for that, they might have been willing to accept a cheque for locking down the Xbox platforms but limiting this game to one system wasn't feasible. that's not how you build the next big shooter.

chadskin

Opposed to popular belief, I don't think it'll score amazingly well. It's (for all we know) light on content (no SP, 6v6, three titans, map count unknown), doesn't look next-gen and likely needs more polish here and there once thousands of players get a chance to play it.

Taking into account there will be more Titanfall in the future and as a reviewer you need to keep some headroom to account for all the improvements in Titanfall 2 and beyond, I'd think we'll see 7s and low to mid 8s (from respectable outlets, Gametrailers will probably go with the usual 9/10 for AAA games). That's not bad, don't get me wrong, but I believe it won't be Halo or TLoU levels just yet.

I hope you're not naive enough to believe software never gets delayed, because this sort of thing happens all the time.

I certainly think it's possible this is strategic, but I also think it's quite possible the 360 version is getting finished a little behind schedule.

Truthfully I don't follow that kind of thing enough but no immediate examples of a MAJOR retail release being delayed only two weeks while other versions are good to go on schedule.

I'm probably off target but this is so fishy you can't blame anyone.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It would imo be pretty devastating for a studio like Respawn trying to establish the brand as a big time competitor to Call of Duty and Battlefield.

They have gone on the record specifically saying that it's not meant to be a competitor to CoD. Obviously EA wants it to be but Respawn knows it has to grow.

Anyways, even if this is a ploy to get more people to buy a Bone, it can only mean good things for the 360 version. I think people buying that version will have a game that's very comparable to the Bone's.

KageMaru

People who are going to buy this game likely already have their platform picked out, so the conspiracy theories are a bit ridiculous. Since the PC and xbone are more powerful, it's very likely it was easier to reach the intended performance on those platforms.

Sucks for those waiting to play on the 360.

Truthfully I don't follow that kind of thing enough but no immediate examples of a MAJOR retail release being delayed only two weeks while other versions are good to go on schedule.

It really doesn't make that much strategic sense if you think about it. Microsoft makes the same money whether you buy the 360 or XB1 versions. So we're supposed to believe people are going to be so excited for Titanfall, but they were originally buying it on 360, and because of a 2 week delay they're going to buy a $500 console to play it now? That's a real stretch of a theory.

If the PC version were delayed that would make for a far better conspiracy theory, because Microsoft makes nothing if you buy that version.

What if the execs at Microsoft think the X360 version looks too much like the XB1 version?

Yeah, because the 360 and XB1 are basically equal in terms of power, right?

surprised it wasn't for a month , i was actually gonna say the xbox 360 version getting "Delayed" , gotta get those xbox one sales

i am ready for march 11 B^)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What if the execs at Microsoft think the X360 version looks too much like the XB1 version?

Then tough shit because it's an EA game, not an MS one, and unless MS wants to pony up even more money than they already did to lock down semi-exclusivity, then everything else will proceed as planned because EA doesn't give a crud about how close the two versions look as long as the game sells.

Being delayed 2 weeks isn't that odd, but delaying the game on one platform, while keeping schedule on the others is a bit odd. For Titanfall, it is a bit of a unique situation, its a completely different developer on the 360.
With Respawn being the main driving force, handling dev on the One and PC, while Blueprint essentially ports it to the 360. I could see a situation where there's a two week delay between Respawn completing a task, and them giving it to Blueprint to get working on the 360 version

Then tough shit because it's an EA game, not an MS one, and unless MS wants to pony up even more money than they already did to lock down semi-exclusivity, then everything else will proceed as planned because EA doesn't give a crud about how close the two versions look as long as the game sells.

EA doesn't own the ip.

Top Bottom