• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall PC - $5

$5 for access to a dead community

This. Titanfall on PC is deader than disco. It's still somewhat alive on Xbone. But, even then, "Attrition" is the only mode that is really active. "Campaign" is a very distant second. Every other mode is tumbleweeds 24/7.

It didn't help they fractured the community with the DLC. Recently, I bought the Season Pass for $8 (or maybe it was $6?) and I still feel kinda ripped off because no one is playing the newer maps.

The cherry on top is that once the community finally dies (and it looks like its heading that way) the game literally has ZERO value because it has NO OFFLINE MODE, no bots, etc.... If there aren't humans to play against the game is about as useful as a square wheel.

It's sad because in terms of pure fun-factor this is the best multiplayer game I've ever played with the possible exception of the Left 4 Dead series. The difference is that I can play L4D/L4D2 offline if I want to.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
where do people live that this is that big of an issue?

Seems like the actual download size is 21GB, which is manageable, but would still take some time. Like I said above, though. It's the install size that's ridiculous. It firmly keeps it out of the realm of "keep this game on my computer to boot up and enjoy a match every once in a while" territory.

diehard

Fleer
Seems like the actual download size is 21GB, which is manageable, but would still take some time. Like I said above, though. It's the install size that's ridiculous. It firmly keeps it out of the realm of "keep this game on my computer to boot up and enjoy a match every once in a while" territory.

We live an in age where 3TB drives are under $100. Come on man.
The cherry on top is that once the community finally dies (and it looks like its heading that way) the game literally has ZERO value because it has NO OFFLINE MODE, no bots, etc.... If there aren't humans to play against the game is about as useful as a square wheel.

Yeah this isnt exactly true..

Camp Lo

Banned
This. Titanfall on PC is deader than disco. It's still somewhat alive on Xbone. But, even then, "Attrition" is the only mode that is really active. "Campaign" is a very distant second. Every other mode is tumbleweeds 24/7.

It didn't help they fractured the community with the DLC. Recently, I bought the Season Pass for $8 (or maybe it was $6?) and I still feel kinda ripped off because no one is playing the newer maps.

It's sad because in terms of pure fun-factor this is the best multiplayer game I've ever played with the possible exception of the Left 4 Dead series. The difference is that I can play L4D/L4D2 offline if I want to.

TBH you have no concrete evidence to any of this! Stop trying to push people away from this amazing title, you hater!!

Yeah this isnt exactly true..

What is there to do without other players? You can't even go into private matches without someone else.

Omega

Banned
For people saying it's not dead can you screencap the population numbers?

I got on a few months ago before I quit the game to go back to CS and it took me 5 minutes to get into an Attrition. I play on US East which is usually one of the most popular servers in any game.

I've been meaning to go back to play a few matches here and there but I don't want to download 50GB if I can't even play the other game modes in a respectable amount of time.

Novocaine

€10 in EU Origin. Fuck you too EA.

Yep. $15 in Australia.

For fucks sake it's not dead.

It isn't? I took advantage of the free 48 hour trial not too long ago. I spent hours in the game and the only time I was actually playing the game and not waiting in a lobby was during the tutorial. If not being able to find a group at prime time during the weekend isn't dead I don't know what is.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This game is beyond dead. Last time I tried to play a few months ago I couldn't find a game in any of the playlists after 15 mins so I just uninstalled it.

Still too much. Fuck this buggy game. Shit is cycling my recycle bin right now.

Seriously? it's five bucks, two coffees. Come on.

I bought it, don't really have time to play games much or a good gaming pc but I picked this up for whenever I get a better pc.

Heigic

Well perhaps if people bought it for $5 it wouldn't be so dead... it's also the 6th highest selling on Amazon this month so I imagine the community is less dead now.

Additionally, Respawn just announced on Twitter that Marked for Death Pro, Pilot Skirmish and Wingman LTS modes are all back online!

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/537726104409088001

Marked for Death was one of the best modes they had available.

From Polygon:

"The mode begins with a random player on each team marked for death. Teammates can either hunt down the opposing targeted player, highlighted as red on the map, or defend their marked teammate, lit up as blue. Pilots are awarded points for certain accomplishments, such as kills, deaths, protecting targeted teammate and surviving as marked player.

Several cycles of randomly targeted players happen throughout the process of one match, depending how long Pilots survive with the death note hanging off their heads. Players are given a warning if they are randomly chosen as a targeted player in the next cycle."

It's very tense. :D

Gojeran

Played the free origin trial for about 10 mins before going back to battlefield 4. That auto aim pistol is the stupidest weapon ever, 5 dollars is a lot of money for titanfall.

HelloMeow

It's not dead, but the game definitely does not have a healthy number of players.

I would be playing it right now if it wasn't for the matchmaking shenanigans and the smart pistol.

COD style level up, get unlocks for Pilot abilities, guns, titan weapons, titan equipment, yadda yadda.

It goes very quickly, honestly, and like COD the default classes are still deadly.

Any ballpark guess as to how long it takes to unlock all the non-cosmetic stuff?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
25% off of the DLC :-/

It's not dead, but the game definitely does not have a healthy number of players.

I would be playing it right now if it wasn't for the matchmaking shenanigans and the smart pistol.

People only play Attrition, which is like the worst mode. Shame, really.

The Cowboy

People only play Attrition, which is like the worst mode. Shame, really.

And Frontier Defense now (horde mode), it is indeed a shame really as the game and its movement system is fantastic for HardPoint and CTF - unfortunately Respawn basically killed those modes with some poor changes: in HP they made point changes that made it so no one bothered to defend anymore (it turned into Attrition) and they took far to long to fix CTF (titans could carry the flag) and they also made point changes making it not worth defending your flag.

Shame really, i bought the game for HP and CTF :(
-
Still, if you enjoy team death match and horde mode (and the hope of HP and CTF :D), the game is easily worth $5.

kewlmyc

I guess everyone has a different definition of DEAD. If I can find a game to play in within 30 seconds regardless of there only being 2000 people online, then I don't consider it dead, because there are clearly people still playing.

If you can't find enjoyment in a game just because 10k people aren't playing at the peak of the day, then I guess it is dead. That or you have high standards for any FPS that isn't Battlefield, Counterstrike, Planetside, or Team Fortress 2.

If you want to see a real dead title, go try playing Brink.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Little over 1000 players in the Attrition playlist now. That isn't a dead game. I would log on to play Shattered Horizon and there would be 3 players online. Total. That is a dead game. It is easy to find a game of attrition anytime.

Saikyo

Still 20$ here in Brazil, thanks EA...but my money is going to Steam Autumn Sale if you are going to region lock some prices...

Dumb question: Could I hold my own in the game while playing with a controller? I just bought my first pc and would love to play, but I don't want to be a complete liability to my team.
Absolutely...I am NOT THAT good with a keyboard and mouse on this game so I stick with controller and I do really well, there are things that I can't pull off as well as those using the mouse and keyboard but I definitely hold my own

Kathian

Banned
So installed my trial. Its nonsense that the game is dead. Small population? Sure but not dead. It is COD though; never played this and in my second game I had 11 Kills 0 Deaths, along with 2 titan kills and 15 minion kills.

Not science; but its fun. Worth the money but am unsure if its worth 50GB SSD space. Oh look the Smart Gun; nope to Titanfall it is.

So this is how it feels to throw $5 to the garbage :(

The tutorial was tons of fun, but now I cant connect to ANY game, the levels take around 2 minutes to load and when they are finished, I just get kicked out of games. :(

So this is how it feels to throw $5 to the garbage :(

The tutorial was tons of fun, but now I cant connect to ANY game, the levels take around 2 minutes to load and when they are finished, I just get kicked out of games. :(

Huh, I just finished about 30 mins of Attrition. A lot of new pilots. Didn't get kicked out once.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Maybe their support forums can help pinpoint the problem.

I'm... not sure this will be a wise purchase. Didn't exactly get my money's worth on Xbox One.

This did make me check out the Origin Black Friday sale, though, and oh boy. Half that sale is not-so-micro-transactiony "shortcuts" and "battlepacks" for Battlefield 4. Just what I wanted?

Top Bottom