• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLG Support Group -- Now Officially Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tansut

We'll have spent more time reading / talking about this game than we'll ever spend playing it if/when it ever does come out.

Wait... nevermind, that's GAF (myself included) with every game.

Lady Gaia

I'm still waiting patiently and hoping there's a good game in there. I don't have a specific announcement or launch window in mind, just a hope that some of the magic of Ico and SotC can be recaptured on a new platform. Show it when it's good and ready, Sony, and don't settle for mediocrity.

I lost hope.

It's in my pile of broken dreams, sittin' pretty among the souls of Silent Hills, Agent, Transformers: Cybertron 3, Mega-Man Legends 3 and MGR:R 2.

zac1-1414621250.gif

Honest to god

When this game is announced the OP and mods who agreed to this thread should have a tag.

Shun the nonbelievers man

SHUN THEM.

sono

The child of nature in me that looks at the world with bright eyes needs this game, before they go forever dim.

Lexad

I believe. It is time for the great Guardian to arise. His glory shall shine upon the conference. Nothing else shall matter. . . well some things will matter

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Like I said, if they get to E3 and TGS and do the ol' "lol it's still coming we're working on it ^_^" over twitter thing, then I'll think it's an elaborate troll. But I've heard from too many people that the game is really coming and really can see no business sense for Sony to keep the hope alive repeatedly if there wasn't some truth to those claims.

We'll see. We've had too many cases of the bolded above already.

These are just preferences anymore than you would take Street Fighter over Gran Turismo. ICO is unique in it's own aspect and has almost zero relevance to Bloodborne in both design and gameplay systems. Even ND has taken cues from ICO to make TLOU but they are fundamentally different games and "preference" does not in any way take away the established reputation Team ICO's games have. Trying to compartmentalize ICO to bolster a game of your preference is a redundant argument because it is an entirely different subject matter altogether. I'm pretty sure there are tons of developers who have taken inspiration of ICO in one way or another but it was just make as much sense to compare these two titles when they follow different design principles.

If you wanna know why so many developers in the industry regard ICO is because (As Amirox put it) of it's subtractive game design. It's the antithesis of the traditional model progression system which is the foundation of almost every single game to date. Till this day, there has not been any similar or equivalent game that has been released of its kind. Even Warren Spector pointed out a "flaw" that he then realized was actually brilliant "design" on his second playthrough in regards to the camera. So yes, it's easy to take ICO for granted at face value. But as I pointed out, once the seams go loose, you start to peek into the design brilliance inside, allowing the player to be as immersive as possible disregarding HUD's to that point for consistency. Very rarely, do any games in that time or this era would let go of your hand ironically in game that involves dragging someone by the hand.

Well, can I be blunt? Forget about Bloodborne, forget about any other game, related or unrelated to ICO. In my opinion, even when viewed independently in its own, I don't think ICO is a great game. A "good one" is the best compliment I can give for it, but not "great."

If I can borrow a term from modern review sensibilities, it's a 7/10 game at best.

Shadow of the Colossus was great. Not ICO though. Well, again, my opinion on the matter.

Sami+

As has been said before, even if it's announced at E3 it'll be a versus XIII situation - whatever we're looking at will never be what was originally promised. It'll be something new. The original dream is dead.

Frankly the only thing I care about is that it's a new Ueda game. Details don't matter.

We'll see. We've had too many cases of the bolded above already.

Well, can I be blunt? Forget about Bloodborne, forget about any other game, related or unrelated to ICO. In my opinion, even when viewed independently in its own, I don't think ICO is a great game. A "good one" is the best compliment I can give for it, but not "great."

If I can borrow a term from modern review sensibilities, it's a 7/10 game at best.

Shadow of the Colossus was great. Not ICO though. Well, again, my opinion on the matter.

It's not about being blunt. You're just relegating the argument back to preferences. Whether you think ICO was a 7/10 or 10/10 stands by what you believe the game is as a whole and not indicative to the cult following that led up to TLG. It's not the 7/10 or 10/10 that makes ICO so valued here in this thread, it's the premise that was responsible of designing said game that makes us heavily anticipating TLG.

Because it's a game preceded by two good games that will never come out. Never be spoiled. Never be ruined. It's as good a game as could possibly exist because it's not burdened in any way by reality.

I like the way you think. I just got a sudden appreciation of TLG, this is the way it was meant to be.

Count me in!!

I literally cried tears of joy the first time I saw the TLG trailer at E3 2009 even though I had seen the similar one leaked a few days before E3.

I hold Ico and SotC close to my hear and think the latter is one of the best games ever made.

Every E3 I hope they'll surprise us with TLG and every year I think "this is the year".

For a 2015 filled with TLG news *raises glass*.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's not about being blunt. You're just relegating the argument back to preferences. Whether you think ICO was a 7/10 or 10/10 stands by what you believe the game is as a whole and not indicative to the cult following that led up to TLG. It's not the 7/10 or 10/10 that makes ICO so valued here in this thread, it's the premise that was responsible of designing said game that makes us heavily anticipating TLG.

I don't look at it that way.

Well, maybe it's because I just don't look hard enough for some.

Game4life

Banned
I don't understand the utter fascination people have over the Last Guardian.

Well, okay, "fascination" is perhaps a thing I still can understand, but this is more of an "obsession", or even "deep obsession". I mean, ICO was a good game (with lots of faults) and Shadow of the Colossus was indeed something special, but it's just two games. Many games from other gaming studios towered over them in terms of quality or atmosphere or both and yet rarely have I seen such a title been waited with such fervor like the Last Guardian.

Especially so since Sony treated this game like it is some sort of a joke. "Oh they're still working on it, so make sure to be excited" gets really old really fast if they're keep doing it over and over and over and over for years.

Or maybe people clamoring over this are actually fully realizing that they're just in some sort of collaborative joke and only in it for the fun.

What other games? I love Miyazaki but I will take a Ueda's game in a heartbeat over Miyazaki's.

Dargor

"Don't stop believin'..."

I'll never forsake you The Last Guardian. As long as I can lift my sword arm, I'll be here waiting for your call.

"Once you choose hope, anything's possible." - Christopher Reeves.

I will never stop hoping until the death knell is rung, and even after, in the deepest corner of my heart, while playing another AAA game that does nothing for my soul... I will remember what could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom