• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU remake narrowly #1 in UK physical charts (sells half of last weeks Saints row)

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
AMLnZu9mv7SkvBqqpMIXDWOFDD3-9b2eaUJ-dLhZaPBs7Q=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

Chukhopops

Saints Row > PS4, PS5, XBSS, XBSX, XB1, PC

TLOU Remake > PS5

Also 4 days retail tracking VS 1

But don't let me interrupt the narrative you're working with...
But Saints Row sales were 55% on PS5:

Deep Silver's bonkers open world title sells just over half of its copies on PS5, with 55 per cent of boxed sales attributed to Sony's current-gen platform.

Therefore it sold less overall than Saints Row did if you take just the PS5.

yurinka

Therefore it sold less overall than Saints Row did if you take just the PS5.
Normal:
  • TLOU only got 1 day tracked for its first week, while Saint Row got 4 days tracked for its first week
  • Saints Row was in 5 platforms , TLOUP1 only in 1
  • Saint Rows was a brand new game, TLOUP1 a remake that the previous gen already got a remaster (and its PS4Pro patch) which is available on a game sub and both previous versions sold over 20M copies , some of them at a dirt cheap price before releasing this remake
  • Saints Row was sold at a cheaper price
Whatever the remake sells will be on top of over 20M copies sold, Saints Row will be far from selling the half of that.

Last edited:
Saints Row > PS4, PS5, XBSS, XBSX, XB1, PC

TLOU Remake > PS5

Also 4 days retail tracking VS 1

But don't let me interrupt the narrative you're working with...
This is physical sales.
So you're wrong.

Saints Row > PS4, PS5, XBSX, XB1
TLOU Remake > PS5

Anyways selling half of Saints Row is bad, as that game only sold 25k units in the UK launch week.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This game was never going to do big first week numbers.

It will have massive legs though.

When that HBO show comes out, and probably the factions MP, and the PC version..this will see big boosts

And they will drop the price by then.

Sell as many as you can at $70, then drop price before show comes out, see massive sales spike.

Sony gets its cake and eats it.

Brilliant really

Last edited:

Fredrik

This game was never going to do big first week numbers.

When that HBO show comes out, and probably the factions MP, this will see big boosts

Sell as many as you can at $70, then drop price before show comes out, see massive sales spike.

Brilliant really
Don’t forget bundles, that’ll boost the sales numbers.

But why are we comparing it to Saints Row? How much did it sell compared to something better like Horizon Forbidden West? Elden Ring?

When that HBO show comes out, and probably the factions MP, this will see big boosts

Brilliant really
That's when i gonna buy it. I think it'll be 40,50$ at that point.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I expect it to be a bit higher after digital sales, but I said weeks ago it wasn't going to be a huge seller on PS5. It's part of the PS5 collection and it was given away like candy on the PS4.

I'm sure they'll be satisfied if this game sells over 2-3 million within the first year on PC and PS5.

Everyone should have saw this coming. The pricing is just off. I get that Sony thought they could do the same thing as Demon's Souls, and to me the improvements in TLOU1 are just as impressive (if not more) than Demon's Souls. But the difference is that DS never had a PS4 remaster, and it was in a much uglier state. TLOU remaster is still solid. TLOU was also fairly fresh on people's minds from TLOU2.

Jim Ryan is pretty tone deaf in many ways. If they had offered this for $70 new, but offered an upgrade path of $40 for people that owned it previously digitally on PS4, I think people would be more likely to jump on board. I say this as someone who absolutely loves the Part 1 remake and thinks it's a substantial leap and one of the best looking next-gen games.

We will see how the PC version does. I suspect that most of the sales will be on that platform for this game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Everyone should have saw this coming. The pricing is just off. I get that Sony thought they could do the same thing as Demon's Souls, and to me the improvements in TLOU1 are just as impressive (if not more) than Demon's Souls. But the difference is that DS never had a PS4 remaster, and it was in a much uglier state. TLOU remaster is still solid. TLOU was also fairly fresh on people's minds from TLOU2.

Jim Ryan is pretty tone deaf in many ways. If they had offered this for $70 new, but offered an upgrade path of $40 for people that owned it previously digitally on PS4, I think people would be more likely to jump on board. I say this as someone who absolutely loves the Part 1 remake and thinks it's a substantial leap and one of the best looking next-gen games.

We will see how the PC version does. I suspect that most of the sales will be on that platform for this game.
Yep. I think even the Demon Souls $70 price point was way too high and hurt its sales. I remember getting A LOT of LOL reactions in the DS OT for saying the game didnt sell well because i couldnt find anyone to coop with. Been playing souls coop since BB and DS2 Scholars of the First sin, never had any issues finding games especially at launch. Turns out the game sold just 1.2 million in its first year to a userbase of over 13 million. 1 in 10 attach ratio for its biggest launch exclusive?? Not good enough.

Then Elden Rings sells 15 million in three months so clearly there is demand for souls that Sony couldnt capitalize on despite producing an incredible product. Sell it for $40, maybe $50 if you really want to do a next gen tax, but $40 worked for SOTC, Ratchet and Lost Legacy, why not for these two remakes? People arent stupid. They see a full fledged Souls sequel with brand new world, levels, bosses for $60 and ask why a graphics enhancement with some gameplay upgrades is selling for full price with a next gen tax.

Ratchet at 1 million and Returnal at 500k is also not really that impressive given how well the PS5 sold in the first year, and just how fucking awesome both games were. They deserved better sales and if it's not the quality of the game then the problem must be the insane $70 price tag set by their boss who seems utterly clueless on the market for these games.

Last edited:
Price and content matters, especially when the last two releases actually kept the content that is now missing. The price was already a hurdle but you aren't even getting the same game.

That European high price for the game along with the console price hike is a combination that doesn't bode well for the game without a price cut, and I mean to $50 or less, not $10 to $60. The remaster is also still being sold on shelves and if you have a PS4 Pro (I think it's BC with PS5 too) you can still play it and it's cheaper than this new release.

Topher

Gold Member
Everyone knows it'll be on sale this holiday and since people have played the game already there's no "day 1" urgency.

This is certainly a cash grab for the hardcore, and one where I willingly obliged (regrettably...just nothing to play right now and it's labor day weekend).

I'd be curious to know what level of sales Sony expected to get at this price point. Overpricing has its risks, obviously, but ultimately it is about how much revenue did they expect to get at $70 versus what they thought they would get at $50 or so. If they end up making less money due to overpricing then obviously their estimated demand was a bit off.

Yep. I think even the Demon Souls $70 price point was way too high and hurt its sales. I remember getting A LOT of LOL reactions in the DS OT for saying the game didnt sell well because i couldnt find anyone to coop with. Been playing souls coop since BB and DS2 Scholars of the First sin, never had any issues finding games especially at launch. Turns out the game sold just 1.2 million in its first month to a userbase of over 13 million. 1 in 10 attach ratio for its biggest launch exclusive?? Not good enough.

Then Elden Rings sells 15 million in three months so clearly there is demand for souls that Sony couldnt capitalize on despite producing an incredible product. Sell it for $40, maybe $50 if you really want to do a next gen tax, but $40 worked for SOTC, Ratchet and Lost Legacy, why not for these two remakes? People arent stupid. They see a full fledged Souls sequel with brand new world, levels, bosses for $60 and ask why a graphics enhancement with some gameplay upgrades is selling for full price with a next gen tax.

Ratchet at 1 million and Returnal at 500k is also not really that impressive given how well the PS5 sold in the first year, and just how fucking awesome both games were. They deserved better sales and if it's not the quality of the game then the problem must be the insane $70 price tag set by their boss who seems utterly clueless on the market for these games.

I hope Ratchet and Returnal still did well enough to justify their development. I don't think they were failures. But they are in fairly niche genres for the platform.

I think Elden Ring proved you can take a niche concept and broaden the appeal substantially by making it massive in content and open world. But that obviously requires a significant amount of increased dev time which isn't worth it in all cases.

I think TLOU Remaster was a good use of resources since it now makes one of my favorite games of all time ridiculously good looking. BUT....I agree with you that a TLOU: Part 0 with Joel and Tommy would have been awesome, Lost Legacy style. Spend two years making a tight 12 hour game, play as Joel again, and strengthen the brotherly connection between those two characters.

I'd be curious to know what level of sales Sony expected to get at this price point. Overpricing has its risks, obviously, but ultimately it is about how much revenue did they expect to get at $70 versus what they thought they would get at $50 or so. If they end up making less money due to overpricing then obviously their estimated demand was a bit off.

Doing some rough numbers, they generated $1M in revenue in UK first week, which means in EU as a whole they probably generated $3.5M, which means globally they probably generated $7-10M in Revenue just in week 1.

I suspect the PC version will add another $10M+ whenever it releases

So at a bare minimum it's $20M in Revenue first week, and lifetime that may increase to $50-100M.

Worth it? Hard to say. $50M is not much for 2 years of dev time, but perhaps it was a super cheap product to make with very little of ND's resources.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Everyone knows it'll be on sale this holiday and since people have played the game already there's no "day 1" urgency.
Yep. And dont forget they have a stupid service that has set a precedent that 1 year old games like returnal and demon souls will be on it. Just a series of unforced errors by sony. They had a great model with $40 games. They saw success with them. The Ratchet PS4 remake set a record for fastest sales in series history at $40. Sony was the only one embracing this $40 model for smaller games and remakes. There was no need to change the strategy.

Yep. And dont forget they have a stupid service that has set a precedent that 1 year old games like returnal and demon souls will be on it. Just a series of unforced errors by sony. They had a great model with $40 games. They saw success with them. The Ratchet PS4 remake set a record for fastest sales in series history at $40. Sony was the only one embracing this $40 model for smaller games and remakes. There was no need to change the strategy.

Jim Ryan really is the greediest mother fucker alive outside of Bobby Kotick.

His solution to everything: Gauge the customer. He has no sense of value, just thinks consumers are dumb and will pay for anything at the highest price. He has had to reverse course on multiple OBVIOUS anti-consumer choices that should have never been greenlit to begin with. Is it too much to ask to have an executive that strikes the right balance and isn't just outright trying to nickle and dime every little thing? This precedent just turns people off from the ecosystem

Hope that guy gets fired. I actually don't think he's made any big software blunders (yet) that we know if, but his legacy will live and die on the lineup over the next few years.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

BUT....I agree with you that a TLOU: Part 0 with Joel and Tommy would have been awesome, Lost Legacy style. Spend two years making a tight 12 hour game, play as Joel again, and strengthen the brotherly connection between those two characters.

People would just whine that they "retconned" Joel into a jerk.

Pallas

Gold Member
Safe to assume this would have sold better without the $70 price tag. Majority of us aren’t keen on the price increase.

Also why even make this? Why not just put all the resources used to make this into their multiplayer game Factions that seems to be what fans really want, not this. Making a remake of a remaster of the original then charging it full price is just a head scratcher. Granted I know they want to take advantage of the new HBO show but there could of been better ways.

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if we get a remaster of the remake for PS6 now.

Top Bottom