• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU team originally working on a new Jak and Daxter

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Blech. "Gritty Reboot Daxter" looks horrible. What is that why did they feel the need to I don't even...

There's no grit in that artwork

people dunno wth they're talking about lol. stylize/cartoony =/= big eyes

this can worked. ND is talented, im sure they wanted to capture an awesome mood with that concept, and they know how to do that.

jak2.jpg

Is that how Daxter would look if he was in The Last of Us? A gritty Dax for a gritty world.

Mixed feelings on this to be honest. TLoU is one of my favourite games this gen, so I'm obviously glad they made it. But on the other hand, a Jak 4 made by Naughty Dog? Wouldn't have said no. Maybe next gen.

There's no grit in that artwork

people dunno wth they're talking about lol. stylize/cartoony =/= big eyes

this can worked. ND is talented, im sure they wanted to capture an awesome mood with that concept, and they know how to do that.

To me it's as if Nintendo released a Mario game that looked like this;

It's fair enough to want to try a new visual style, but it's a shame their immediate thought is "let's give him more hair/make him look like an actual animal" rather than sticking to the cartoony roots of the series.

AniHawk

aren't you sick of that avatar by now?

i change it every now and then. i ran with these for a good while:

BONEgrd.jpg
sf.gif

but i always change it back. i like ramirez. has a good feel. the great red dragon is probably my second favorite. there's also one i used from rasl for a little bit, but i can't find it.

You're being quite the dick about getting your point across HC. To say "everybody who enjoyed Jak II was 12" is just silly. You talk like no dev has ever made a sequel sound superior to its predecessor in order to market it. It's hardly Peter Molyneux levels.

"my new game is much better than the old one =/= "yo, that guy who my last game was directly inspired by? FUCK HIS SHIT" *middle fingers in air blowing raspberries*

I'd admit the 12-year-old comment wasn't on, if that was actually my point

That super-realistic Daxter implies they completely missed the point of what made J&D so charming in the first place anyway. Missed bullet.

You're being quite the dick about getting your point across HC. To say "everybody who enjoyed Jak II was 12" is just silly.

no, I think they still know what makes them charming, which is why they canned the project. it's easy to imagine one of the first thing they do when trying to make new Jak and Daxter game is to design their new look, and they probably don't want to simply use the old design with higher polygon and updated texture/shader like Nintendo did with their WiiU Mario and friends design. (not saying what nintendo did is bad, their character design is so iconic that you can't mess around with it too much.)

if they really don't know, they'll just go through with the new look.

no, I think they still know what makes them charming, which is why they canned the project. it's easy to imagine one of the first thing they do when trying to make new Jak and Daxter game is to design their new look, and they probably don't want to simply use the old design with higher polygon and updated texture/shader like Nintendo did with their WiiU Mario and friends design. (not saying what nintendo did is bad, their character design is so iconic that you can't mess around with it too much.)

if they really don't know, they'll just go through with the new look.

I think Daxter with proper fur would be enough. To be honest, the level of detail they gave Ratchet & co. in the PS3 R&C games would have been fine.

"my new game is much better than the old one =/= "yo, that guy who my last game was directly inspired by? FUCK HIS SHIT" *middle fingers in air blowing raspberries*

The Hyperbole Police will be with you shortly.

I can understand people's problem with Jak II, but it was just an excellent adventure to me with so much damn gameplay variety. Yeah yeah, Jack of all trades, master of none, but it was incredibly cool to go from platforming to shooting to hoverboarding to driving to hulking out into a big purple rage monster in an open world environment. Harping on GTA's success? Eh, maybe, but its semi-dystopian vibe gave it a distinct character. I loved Haven City, it was so grimy. And yet, it still managed to be one of the funniest games I'd ever played.

To suggest Naughty Dog would be "ashamed" of arguably their most varied, risky title yet is asinine. Just because they've changed their output doesn't mean they're "ashamed" of what they've done in the past.

I don't remember enjoying it at all, but as I recently downloaded the trilogy on Vita, I think I'll give another shot as it sounds a lot more interesting from your small description than I remember it being.

Corto

I love some of those realistic designs for Daxter. Imagining that in a super detailed world with vibrant colors and great art design is making me moist.

This was aleady known. They spoke about it during TLOU development.

Personally, I thought TLOU was great, but I would've loved a new Jak and Daxter game too.

I need a lie down

on-topic: I'm not a massive fan of what they were showing here, but I'm open to pretty much anything ND cares to do nowadays.

UrbanRats

Nah he raised it. Jak & Daxter was great but Jak 2 was a mess of poorly implemented ideas that I can only presume must embarrass the hell out of ND if they look back at them now...

(horrible teen edginess, awful GTA knock off open world, terrible shooting, almost no platforming, bland, bland world, awful, awful checkpoint system, missions that "cheat" to force you to play a certain way, meandering, plot with abrupt resolution, fairly annoying "Dark Jak" who would happily propel himself off the nearest cliff edge for an insta-death look how bad the checkpoints are reset, etc. etc I could go on for a while)...

Jak 3 was better but the series had jumped the rails on the back of 2.

And I've just replayed them in HD with a better frame rate to be sure my memories were correct (thanks Plus) and I can testify that the first remains great, the second remains a mediocre game and 3 is okay. I will concede that 2 and 3 seemed technical marvels as
did the first back on PS2.

I'm definitely glad they delivered TLOU instead. Now if they wanted to take the power of PA4 and deliver a gorgeous game in the style of the first I'd be interested but I'm glad we got TLOU ahead of another possibly shaky J&D game (or is it still just Jak?).
Again, LoU was amazing, but J&D 1 and 3 aren't by any means "bad games" (infact, they're pretty fantastic ones).

Especially Jak 1 is one of my favorite games from the first half of the ps2 life.
jak2.jpg

Is that how Daxter would look if he was in The Last of Us? A gritty Dax for a gritty world.

E looks like a great middle ground between realistic and cartoon, it doesn't mean it would have to be "gritty" or try hard like Jak 2 was, and certainly better than the full on Dreamworks smirk.

I don't remember enjoying it at all, but as I recently downloaded the trilogy on Vita, I think I'll give another shot as it sounds a lot more interesting from your small description than I remember it being.
Let me just warn you, as a fan of the franchise, do not play the Vita version. The framerate is horrible. Especially for the 1st & 3rd games.

Get it on PS3 if you want the definitive versions of the trilogy, because if you pass judgement off of the Vita version, you will end up hating the series.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

It's fair enough to want to try a new visual style, but it's a shame their immediate thought is "let's give him more hair/make him look like an actual animal" rather than sticking to the cartoony roots of the series.

you dont know if that was the immediate thought, its pretty unfair to say ND would take a franchise like this an brainless decide !duur CoD grit!.

They were looking to take a long dormant franchise bring it back with a new style n slight different mood. And judging by what ND have done, its a pretty damn exiting thought IMO.

it's not easy to make cartoony visual looks impressive I guess, I mean look at how much shit people give to Knack, especially the human character, if you give these character long ears, they basically look kinda like Jak and Daxter npc
Knack610.jpg

I guess a proper nextgen J&D looks is probably like the cg promo render like this with fur on cartoon daxter, but Jak really doesn't look that impressive really

Jak and Daxter is ND's most fun game for me, love the non-linear island and how seamless the world was compared to other platformers.

I'm glad they didn't try an awkward reinvention of the series. They already did that with Jak II.

AniHawk

to be honest, there's nothing wrong with trying a different approach. they were obviously not making jak 4 with this game, and it was more of a reboot. that would probably allow them more freedom in its design instead of forcing it to adhere to previous entries in the series (and connecting it to its absolutely awful story). a guy with a gun and his animal companion wouldn't be a bad way to look at 'jak and daxter'. i was never really a fan of daxter (or jak after the first game), so maybe something that isn't a clash of two different styles would benefit the tone of the game overall.

jak and daxter was never a series of platformers either. the first game was a platformer in the then-dying collectathon style. jak ii was a mishmash of genres to the point where platforming was just another style of gameplay added to the mix. from my understanding of jak 3 (i never played it), it was more or less an open-world game, a better gta-lite than jak ii was. so in a sense, remaking jak and daxter wouldn't really be killing anyone's innocence when jak ii already did that a decade prior.

and naughty dog was clearly done with making games where level design was the focus after jak and daxter. they became much more about storytelling and setpieces starting with jak ii. that's not a bad thing- it's just a thing. the problem with jak ii was the genre they were trying to shoehorn all of that into was a poor fit. they started to improve matters starting with uncharted. the last of us is the culmination of a decade of work, experience, and discovery- of learning what works and what doesn't. they learned through jak ii that to tell a compelling story the way they wanted, they needed a more linear experience. they learned with uncharted the way to make the compelling story believable was to make the in-game characters match the ones from the story.

if anything, the cancellation of this project was a sign that yes, maybe they don't have the chops to do a traditional platformer anymore (although i don't think that was ever the case), but it's also a sign that they recognized problems in reconciling the differences between their vision of games, and what they were actually making. i wonder if they were developing a jak ii reboot and discovered all the problems with the original, and learned from it. if the last of us was the project we received from all their lessons taught, then i say it was worth the introspection at the very least.

Lijik

I'd admit the 12-year-old comment wasn't on, if that was actually my point

I dont know if its the same one Anihawk found, but I remember an interview that was more about Jason dumping on Miyamoto and the developers of Wrath of Cortex than the actual game.

I'd rather play a new Jak and Daxter than play Last of Us. Good game and good story but it's just not for me.

It does'nt have to be one or the orther.

If Sony were to revive Jak & Daxter, and I would love to play a new J&D, they should give it to a smaller Sony Studio, mayba Sanzaru (they did an amazing job with Sly4).

Naughty Dog is to big now for a 3D plataformer.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm glad they didn't. Them wasting their talents on a platformer in 2013, even a hybrid platformer like Jak 2 and 3, would have been incredibly fucking depressing.

sn00zer

I dont know if its the same one Anihawk found, but I remember an interview that was more about Jason dumping on Miyamoto and the developers of Wrath of Cortex than the actual game.

To be fair the things he criticizes Miyamoto with is story and voicework...and tbh Mario games have incredibly basic and tropy storytelling...and he was right about Jak 2 being one of the first 3D cartoony platformers to get a fairly serious story

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
As someone who really didn't care about TLOU all that much, I do wish that we had gotten a new Jak and Daxter instead. While the PS3 had plenty of adult-oriented, story-driven action games, it didn't have nearly enough light-hearted platformers for all ages. If we did get a new J&D, I'd hope it would fill that role.

After having watched it, I think the biggest news from this is that he gives a pretty darn clear direction of where the franchise is going.

His take on the ending – where it represents her realization that she needs to become independent from Joel and can't trust him anymore – makes a VERY good case for an "adult Ellie"-type arc. Perhaps even one where Joel ends up being an antagonist, or their "break-up" being a key focus of the game.

and naughty dog was clearly done with making games where level design was the focus after jak and daxter. .

Bullshit. You can't look me straight in the face and say the level design of II is bad. I'd go so far to say that it's better than J&D. Sprawling forests, ancient temples, intricate sewer systems, industrial wastelands. Tonnes of variety, big big levels, I don't know how that's some harbinger or future Naughty Dog, or even correct.

AniHawk

To be fair the things he criticizes Miyamoto with is story and voicework...and tbh Mario games have incredibly basic and tropy storytelling...and he was right about Jak 2 being one of the first 3D cartoony platformers to get a fairly serious story

nah he says in super mario sunshine the characters come out saying bloop bloop bloop and it's the only mario game with full voice acting. but nevermind that- he thinks the idea of pushing the platformer genre forward is having more story. what the fuck.

Bullshit. You can't look me straight in the face and say the level design of II is bad. I'd go so far to say that it's better than J&D. Sprawling forests, ancient temples, intricate sewer systems, industrial wastelands. Tonnes of variety, big big levels, I don't know how that's some harbinger or future Naughty Dog, or even correct.

the level design in jak ii isn't bad. it's fucking horrendous.

ignore the tag. i'm serious. outside of the few platforming sections there are, it's not fun at all.

Top Bottom