• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU2 Haters and Detractors are review-bombing Metacritic. The Salt rises!

Birdo

Banned
Proof for this? I don't see any ratings for the game on Amazon yet. Can you rate an item on Amazon without purchasing it?

UK Amazon had a load of them saying "Not played it, but I know it's going to be game of the year".

It looks like most have been removed, but there are still some saying "I played this in the future".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Review bombers are such a sad lot. I hope average people aren't fooled by a ridiculously low user score alone.

Sethbacca

That's the thing...it's not necessarily unproductive. Take the OpenIV example. Take2 and Rockstar Games CnD'd OpenIV, which led to mass review bombing of GTA5 on Steam. It was the largest effort I've ever seen. Consistent bombing for 2 weeks straight...the overall score dropped to mixed and didn't recover for well over a year afterwards. This was enough to actually impact their bottom line (their stock price actually began dropping as a result of all the negative attention) and after 2 weeks they relented and started working with the OpenIV team to allow them to continue development. No review bomb, no OpenIV today. Sounds pretty productive to me.

For people that actually follow gaming and participate in forums and so forth though it's a useless gesture. I know the practice occurs and probably why it's occuring and so I'm likely to write it off as being stupid and just disregard it outright. It probably is more of an effective ploy for the uninformed consumer however.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Proof for this? I don't see any ratings for the game on Amazon yet. Can you rate an item on Amazon without purchasing it?

Screenshot-20200619-194534.jpg

Narcissism rules the internet, didn't you already know? If it's a great game, then I genuinely hope it will do good, even if I am not a PlayStation gamer anymore.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
? I have a 7.1 setup and it's working great. Game actually has full options for it and even lets me set in game whereabouts the speakers are in my room.

Yes, I think it's not recognizing my Astro A40 (PS4 model!). Maybe an update to solve it. Next time I'm only going with PS headsets.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It's funny how self righteous people get when they don't agree with someone else's opinions.
Right? People claiming they understand others opinions, but then clearly get frazzled when it doesn't match theirs.

I'm really starting to lose sight on the purpose and meaning of this thread, lmao. It's looking like it's slowly becoming a "YOU"RE WRONG!", "NO, YOU'RE WRONG!", kind of scenario. Which is ridiculous.

When everything is said and done. It's okay for you to like whatever you like, and it's okay for others to like what they like. If you can't understand that, it's a problem. It's more than okay to have cordial discussions, I mean, they should be welcomed. But it's looking like they generally succumb to condescending negativity and name calling, lmao.

Geki-D

Banned
Yes, I think it's not recognizing my Astro A40 (PS4 model!). Maybe an update to solve it. Next time I'm only going with PS headsets.
Ah I see, that's a headset. I thought it was a surround sound receiver. Yeah, in that case I can't comment, I use a receiver.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I see some negative reviews related to the story, and honestly they have merit. A lot of the social interactions I’ve seen so far without spoiling anything really go against what happened in the first game. Feels like I’m reliving The Rise of Skywalker all over again. Just horrible writing.

Truthfacts:

There is immerse irony in the term "truthfacts" when applied to your post.

1. Game only came out today, so most people won't have had sufficient time to play much of it. Let alone enough to write it off.

Is that why yesterday there were already a number of videos discussing the ending ?

Does your assessment also apply to the thousands of rave reviews posted before official launch or during release day?

2. As to whether they watched it all on YT... well lets be real if you were interested in giving the game a fair shake why would you watch it all on Youtube in the first place?

Why couldn't they have watched some of it, to assess whether shelling out 60 bucks was justified or not?

3. 0/10 is evidently not a real score. Its a protest and needs to be treated as such: An empty performative gesture. The "cause" doesn't matter when the "action" itself is this feeble. What are they hoping to achieve.

If a 10/10 doesn't mean a perfect game under IGN's guidelines, why can't a 0/10 mean something other than absolute garbage of a game under personal guidelines? Are you arguing against IGN's definition of a 10/10? If not, your duplicity is evident.

4. We know its all protest because we saw it coming with all the hoopla following the leaks. All of which showed a distinct pattern of people grinding axes and sharpening pitchforks in readyness.

It's "all protest"? So no one can possibly dislike the game to that degree?
And if it's "all protest", are the 10/10s all politically motivated as well?

What's your assessment of the thousands of 5-star reviews posted before launch?

5. Even if people hate the story/representation of characters, what about the rest of the game? If the gameplay was also worth 0/10 could the story make up for that no matter how good it was? Obviously no, but its one of many evident logical fallacies.

Again, if IGN is sovereign to redefine what a 10/10, means, if they can come up with a scale where a 10/10 means something specific, so can lay reviewers establish their own idiosyncratic review system whereby a 0/10 doesn't mean unplayable atrocity.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Haha, dude, you're killing me. Stop it. I'm trying to finish my work before the weekend so I can smash this TLOU2 for thirty hours plus.
Maybe I need to explain.

A cheerleader will never be a loser/negative... he/she is only being hyped and cheering.
While a hater will always be a negative/loser.

Hater looks salty, depressed, hating because something he is against it is getting cheered... it doesn't import if the thing is good or bad he won't try it... just hate and use bad words to try to tell the world the thing is bad.

Now a cheerleader is just being hyped and positive about that thing.... there is nothing bad with that.

Nope.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
These guys are only going to give the game more momentum. More people are going to ask "why are they review bombing this game", then they go play it and realize it's the best game they ever played. Besides, the critics have spoken and LOU2 is sitting as the certifiable GOTY so far........LOU 2 is also on the upsurge from the 1st and the 1st was already massive relative to sales, so expect 20-25 million copies for LOU2, Hope it gets to 30 million tbh....

For people that actually follow gaming and participate in forums and so forth though it's a useless gesture. I know the practice occurs and probably why it's occuring and so I'm likely to write it off as being stupid and just disregard it outright. It probably is more of an effective ploy for the uninformed consumer however.
Well that's kind of the point, it informs the uninformed consumer. It also inevitably results in articles about how Gamers™ are review bombing again, further drawing attention to the issue at hand. It does need to be sustained though. 2 days of review bombing isn't going to get you anywhere. You need to keep it up consistently until the company you're targeting begins to wonder if the PR nightmare is ever going to end. This is where most efforts fall down...there just aren't enough people who care or, even if there are, they blow their load in a matter of hours, causing a steep decline in the number of negative reviews after a short while.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ah I see, that's a headset. I thought it was a surround sound receiver. Yeah, in that case I can't comment, I use a receiver.

First time to have that, played like uncharted 4 and had full support and it shows in the menus. I think an update will solve it, but it's ok so far, but would love more locality and surround.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
really this is only a problem if you have some kind of unrealistic view of metacritic. like if you are one of those losers who think it is an objective marker of anything other than critic consensus.

if you enjoy a game, great. but that enjoyment should not be dependent on other people also enjoying it. that is actually childish. if you feel personally attacked because people review bombed a website, that is a problem with you. you need to not identify your personal worth with a product produced by a corporation (made of people you will probably never meet in your life)

if you can't enjoy a media product unless everyone agrees with you on it, you need to grow up. because that is never going to happen and you will go through life mad at people for very stupid reasons.

people dislike things. it happens. it doesn't make them full of hate. it doesn't make them toxic. IT IS NORMAL FOR PEOPLE TO HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS. the more you insist that only certain opinions can be allowed, the more review bombing will take place.

Sethbacca

Well that's kind of the point, it informs the uninformed consumer. It also inevitably results in articles about how Gamers™ are review bombing again, further drawing attention to the issue at hand. It does need to be sustained though. 2 days of review bombing isn't going to get you anywhere. You need to keep it up consistently until the company you're targeting begins to wonder if the PR nightmare is ever going to end. This is where most efforts fall down...there just aren't enough people who care or, even if there are, they blow their load in a matter of hours, causing a steep decline in the number of negative reviews after a short while.

Yes, but when articles are written, they will be about the content of said reviews all containing "woke" "SJW" and "Cuckman", so instead of the article being written as a cautionary tale as to the quality of the game, it will instead continue to portray the gaming community as toxic trolls. It will no longer be about the form of the protest or even what is protested about, but again about the content of the protest and those making it. Posting these kinds of reviews and at zero hour when it's obvious nobody could have yet completed it makes the PR about the toxicity of the community rather than the content of the game.

Blond

Banned
GTA IV and even RDR2 were also very divisive but you didn't see anything close to this kind of vitriol towards Dan Houser. There is something much deeper going on here.

...Did you not pay attention to the past 2 years of bullshit from Neil Duckman? I don't even know why I keep calling him Duckman, that's reserved for the amazing character played by Jason Alexander but at-least it's dehumanizing him lol. Look, I bought the game for the gameplay but let's not act like Duckman doesn't have a reason to hold onto blame.

This isn't just about the game, I feel like the story beats are just the thing that FINALLY pushed people over the edge. Off the top of my head here's what I can remember

-Intentionally writing in trans characters for no reason other than to show how progressive he is while having that bald actor he chose go and shit ALL over people on twitter, she was openly chosen for her openly antagonistic attitude towards people who aren't straight and it's fucking obvious

-While not known at first, retroactively making the female leads in Lost Legacy as lesbian. I thought they were because my older lesbian friends who saw a screenshot on Facebook out of nowhere "Are they putting lesbians in games now? We use to dress like that in the 90s and it's giving us flashbacks!" The only thing I said back then was that I'm not sure but it didn't seem like it, a year later on valentines day they did it. This is as fucking annoying as all the ridiculous ret-cons from J K Rowling, but the difference is why the fuck anyone would buy a book from someone in the internet age still using "J K" (Just kidding, and boy was she) as a pen name always made me laugh

-There's a very obvious anti-christian theme throughout the entire plot, again, can't say details because I'll be banned, but know it runs so deep that when you come across a synagogue that's completely pristine and suddenly Ellie can't shoot anymore but you can gut hundreds of Christians along the way? The fuck? I'm not even the most faithful christian, hell, by all accounts I'm a bad one and sinner like most but that shit DID NOT sit well with me

-Neil ironically wrote a stereotypical "Sassy Mad Black Woman" while trying to be progressive and then made her superwoman by kicking a dozen foreign mercenaries ass, I could also believe this she used techniques that would disable a person by hitting them in sensitive places like the eyes/throat/genitals but she's fucking Mike Tysoning a field of mercenaries!

Do not post spoilers - Mod Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dwr
Yes, but when articles are written, they will be about the content of said reviews all containing "woke" "SJW" and "Cuckman", so instead of the article being written as a cautionary tale as to the quality of the game, it will instead continue to portray the gaming community as toxic trolls. It will no longer be about the form of the protest or even what is protested about, but again about the content of the protest and those making it. Posting these kinds of reviews and at zero hour when it's obvious nobody could have yet completed it makes the PR about the toxicity of the community rather than the content of the game.
Well I'm not necessarily in agreement with the review bombing going on in this specific case, merely disagreeing with the sentiment that review bombing is solely a fruitless endeavour only partaken by manchildren living in their parent's basement. Reviewers I trust have stated they didn't like TLOU2...but there's nothing I see worthy of a review bomb, in this case it should be left to succeed or fail on its own merits.

Max_Po

Banned
Just want to suggest, People if all these people leaving 0- are correct... they finished the game is less than 12 hours...

tassletine

Questionable writing. Characters not acting in believable ways. Constant misery and violence for no good reason. It's pretty easy to not like the game.
Only if you’re nitpicking. The SJW stuff does stick out but not in comparison to other games, which do clunky political stuff like this the entire time. It’s the fact that it’s when it’s at it’s peak it’s incredible that shows the weaker (and more traditional stuff) up.
Case in point — Video games revel in misery and violence for no good reason but here for some reason it’s not allowed.
Although having said that the violence here is especially brutal.

These guys are only going to give the game more momentum. More people are going to ask "why are they review bombing this game", then they go play it and realize it's the best game they ever played. Besides, the critics have spoken and LOU2 is sitting as the certifiable GOTY so far........LOU 2 is also on the upsurge from the 1st and the 1st was already massive relative to sales, so expect 20-25 million copies for LOU2, Hope it gets to 30 million tbh....

it might, but the people disliking the game hate it for the story, so they'd get the game and either like it or not, not care, or play it for the gameplay and graphics.
300 hundred thousand people are watching this game on twitch, it's possible a lot of those people are going to buy it after watching, and it's also possible they will watch it and not buy it.

Eiknarf

The triggering continues as TLOU2 releases today. A mob of children have taken their anger and moral purity to Metacritic to make sure TLOU2 is made an example of. As we watch the salt pour from every single keystroke we're reminded of the fragility of their egos. Snowflaking has never been this good. Here is to enjoying the tears when the reviews eventually get taken down.

triggered.png

The prophet has foreseen it.

image0.png

The meticulous planning.

7FvMxxm.png

Wait
Will Metacritic really take reviews down? They’ll remove reviews? Which ones? How do they know which reviews are just review bombs and which reviews are genuine?

I mean it makes sense that you could safely get rid of any zero 0 grade because, even if you hate the game, it’s clearly not a zero.

It’s very hard to find a game that you would think is a 0. Maybe a 2? Maybe a 4? But 0? C’mon! You’re basically asking to have it removed

Maybe I need to explain.

A cheerleader will never be a loser/negative... he/she is only being hyped and cheering.
While a hater will always be a negative/loser.

Hater looks salty, depressed, hating because something he is against it is getting cheered... it doesn't import if the thing is good or bad he won't try it... just hate and use bad words to try to tell the world the thing is bad.

Now a cheerleader is just being hyped and positive about that thing.... there is nothing bad with that.
I can agree with this. You're a cheerleader. Fair enough.

kebaldo

Spoiler: there are 3 groups of people in Tlou 2... WLF, the religious motherfukaz, and the crazy people on Metcritic. Druckmann surpassed him self this time... The Metacritic dudes are the most scary people you can find lol

I'm passing a really good time reading stuff on Meta. Laughing like I'm watching a Chapelle special. Thank you haters. <3

Vawn

Banned
Review bombing is bad but where's the outrage at all the perfect user scores? I guess they did have time to beat the game already right?

Or all the perfect scores from way before launch? Lol the irony

No one claims ANY user scores should be taken seriously.

And who is "outraged"? I'm loving the fact that people are this worked about yet another 10/10 PlayStation game that they're going to such desperate lengths.

Top Bottom