• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan (Platinum Games) art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Batman-TMNT-02-e5b23.jpg
Raph's bandanna is so stupid here, lmao

It literally has a cutaway to show how angry he is

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah people underestimate the comic's popularity back then. Yeah the cartoon did have international and mainstream success, but the comic was quite doing its name as well. Hell, prior to the cartoon they already have merchandising for the comic... which started the whole mutant shit.

Was hoping for an 80's TMNT for a great throwback with aesthetics and voice overs, but can't complain since it's based off IDW because it seems awesome. It has most of the 80's characters and doesn't have that Utrom Shredder. IDW really has it all. Hun, Testu, Krang, Beebp, Rocksteady and most of the 80's crew.
Ironically I believe Ultrom Shredder is the best incarnation to date.

Yeah people underestimate the comic's popularity back then. Yeah the cartoon did have international and mainstream success, but the comic was quite doing its name as well. Hell, prior to the cartoon they already have merchandising for the comic... which started the whole mutant shit.

Ironically I believe Ultrom Shredder is the best incarnation to date.

Best Shredder but him being an Utrom killed it for me. I did love the fact that he was threatening and not a push over. But like I said, him being an Utrom takes the bad ass out.

ZarKryn7

Transformers Devastation.

Now I'm no platinum animator nor artist. But my intuition tells me the art style of the IDW comics gels well with their game devoloping style in terms of aesthetics ,animation style ,combat fluidity and what not. And I guess that's where the 80's transformers fits their bill as well.

Just an intuition. Don't kill me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why are people using Devastation as some sort of "80s!" answer that PG should stick to the design? Don't they know many of the TF characters use those designs outside of the 80s? It's why they are called G1 designs.

Best Shredder but him being an Utrom killed it for me. I did love the fact that he was threatening and not a push over. But like I said, him being an Utrom takes the bad ass out.
I dunno, I like it. I mean, outside of Movie!Shredder, all human Shredders have been crap, so it's kinda fitting in a meta way.

Some Nobody

You mean '03 Shredder? The one who broke both Michaelangelo's legs, cracked Leo's shell by impaling him, and burned Splinter alive, all in a single episode? THAT guy's not bad-ass? I hate villains, but come on. Dude gave out that work.

Warxard

Banned
Do we know who is directing this one yet? I guess it hasn't even been officially announced yet right? Lol.

Hashimoto's working on Star Fox
Yosuke Saito's doing Nier Automata
Kamiya's doing Scalebound
...Yamanaka or another Kenji Saito game maybe.

Why are people using Devastation as some sort of "80s!" answer that PG should stick to the design? Don't they know many of the TF characters use those designs outside of the 80s? It's why they are called G1 designs.

I dunno, I like it. I mean, outside of Movie!Shredder, all human Shredders have been crap, so it's kinda fitting in a meta way.

Nicktoons Shredder isn't that bad. Biggest issue with him is he's extremely simple minded. He really doesn't give a shit about anything except destroying the turtles and Splinter (
Hamato Yoshi
).

I feel these are the turtles most of know
Probably those and the recent Nick versions are the most popular. At least from what I see. I dont' know, I was too young to be an indie comic nerd back when the original TMNT Eastman/Laird run happened, though the comics never interested me.

jmizzal

Is there like any particular time to expect them to announce this? Transformers was supposed to be on Keighley's stream at E3, but there doesn't seem to be any events until next E3 that'd make sense for it. Especially since the trademarks/ratings whatever leaked before The Game Awards/PSX even...

Is there a Turtles anniversary coming up?

The new movie comes out in June, I would hope the game is out by then, so we should see something early next year

duckroll

No, but I'm guessing it's the Transformers team/Saito.

While that would be great, shouldn't we be worried about the timeline? Transformers just came out a couple of months ago. Even if it was in the can a couple of months before that, does that really give them enough time for another game? This is already rated by multiple boards, so it is presumably pretty done even though it hasn't been announced. If it really is a DD only game like Korra, maybe it's a smaller project on the side? Hopefully not though...

I was interested obviously because TMNT & P+ but IDW has me hyped even more. I'm liking this trend. Devastation based on G1 and now this.

Obvioualy I want this entirely new but just imagine Raph's gameplay in this artsyle and the design of Monsoon from MGR, Mistral's moveset for Donnie and Sam's for Leo. HNNNNNNNNG

odhiex

If it's true... and it will be done by Platinum Games, then I have some concerns (looking at the latest Avatar and Transformers games).

Platinum were lacking on their small-budgeted games, especially the liscensed ones. I really hope that this one will delivers, cause I love TMNT.

Skilletor

If you had mentioned "Animated", I might have agreed, but when "The Next Mutation" exists, there's no way the 80's cartoon is the worst version.

Don't know if I've seen Next Mutation. So I'll amend to the 80s is the worst version of the turtles I've ever seen or read.

TreIII

While that would be great, shouldn't we be worried about the timeline? Transformers just came out a couple of months ago. Even if it was in the can a couple of months before that, does that really give them enough time for another game? This is already rated by multiple boards, so it is presumably pretty done even though it hasn't been announced. If it really is a DD only game like Korra, maybe it's a smaller project on the side? Hopefully not though...

Well, if it means anything, Tom Waltz, one of the head writers of the IDW ongoing, has been hinting at a "big thing" for a while involving the IDW TMNT for well over a year, at least. The most recent one of these (to my knowledge anyway) being at SDCC earlier this year, where he again dropped a tease that SOMETHING was going to happen.

We know that P* is also very efficient when it comes to turnaround time for their games. So, it may not be surprising at all that Saito's team may have been working on multiple projects at once. We at least know he had two on his plate, already, in the form of Nier:Auto and Transformers: Devastation.

If you had mentioned "Animated", I might have agreed, but when "The Next Mutation" exists, there's no way the 80's cartoon is the worst version.

Again, I can only point to the likes of 80's toon's "European Vacation" series of episodes. I used to think NM was the low point in the TMNT pantheon, but there were a lot of eps for the Fred Wolf toon that were truly a special kind of bad. And even now, I don't think NM butchered the series quite as much as Fred Wolf, did.

To say the least, at least NM believed in actually making them a family unit. In the 80s, they were basically all "best friends living in a dorm, with Splinter as their flat/dorm master".

Fuck outta here with "terrible art".

I say this as someone who grew up with the 80s cartoon Turtles. Someone who played the shit out of the games, owned turtles pajamas, dressed as them for Halloween, had a crap ton of toys, knew the movies like the back of my hand, had Turtles themed birthday parties where professionals dressed as the Turtles showed up in the Party Van and fought Shredder. The 80s cartoon is one of the worst incarnations of the Ninja Turtles. That cartoon was my world as a kid, but it does not hold up. It's terrible. Every cartoon since has been better and holds up more. The comics are way better. The movies (even the new one) are better. Take off your fucking nostalgia goggles and get over it lol. I get the appeal of wanting something based on that era specifically after Transformers: Devastation happened, but come on. This shit is cool looking.

Wow, this looks fucking awesome. Love the Turtle designs here. Made me actually want to read the comics. The 80's designs are nice, but I'm glad to see Platinum going with this.

As someone who grew up with the 80's turtles I think the art looks fine. I was worried they'd be close to the ridiculous new movie designs.

duckroll

We know that P* is also very efficient when it comes to turnaround time for their games. So, it may not be surprising at all that Saito's team may have been working on multiple projects at once. We at least know he had two on his plate, already, in the form of Nier:Auto and Transformers: Devastation.

I'm not sure what you mean. Platinum is definitely extremely agile in terms of development, but part of that seems to be because these days they don't even have a strict "team" structure anymore. Kenji Saito directed Transformers Devestation, but the team that made it is not the Metal Gear Revengeance team. They're just made up of a bunch of Platinum staff from various projects. Are you sure they're all working on Nier? Is Kenji Saito working on Nier? I haven't really been keeping up...

Am I the only one who actually liked the 80's designs? Some of the modern designs are fine, but some look kind of scary.
I really liked the 80's designs. But Santolouco Turtles are probably my favorite Turtles ever. It's a perfect mix of the cartoony Turtles and the gritty Turtles from the Eastman/Laird run.

Warxard

Banned
Am I the only one who actually liked the 80's designs? Some of the modern designs are fine, but some look kind of scary.

I'm with you I prefer the 80s design over the mean looking bad ass dude brow turtle...

You guys might fear the idea of the turtles shedding blood; god forbid, even KILLING people.

TMNT before the cartoon had ALWAYS had a menacing, dark look to them. That was the Mirage artstyle then. It was until the comics that the cartoon decided to give the turtles different colored bandannas

You guys might fear the idea of the turtles shedding blood; god forbid, even KILLING people.

TMNT before the cartoon had ALWAYS had a menacing, dark look to them. That was the Mirage artstyle then. It was until the comics that the cartoon decided to give the turtles different colored umbrellas.

Oh, I know. I supposed I got so used to their 80's appearance and wouldn't mind seeing the 80's look reimagined with a blend of cartoony and dark elements. I think this is a good blend for example.

Batman-TMNT-02-e5b23.jpg

Honestly though, not a significant deal to me. I will still check out the game regardless of the art style. I probably haven't seen the older art styles in so long that a lot of the new iterations looks unusual to me like realistic version of Mario and Luigi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom