• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan (Platinum Games) art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may not be the TMNT based of the arcades and the 80s TV show, but it's definitely a step forward from the crap design of recent TMNT games.

PSqueak

Banned
Man I wish more people read the IDW stuff, you don't know the half of it.

Hey, i said the original, not the IDW one ;P

Think of NES game cover (which was ripped straight out from the original E&L comic), it looks like this, but in this case they designed the turtles to look like the Nickelodeon designs instead of identical body doubles.

Jinaar

I grew up reading the original black and white comics and I really dig this design. Looking really forward to this! (loved Transformers Devastation)

Peff

Is there like any particular time to expect them to announce this? Transformers was supposed to be on Keighley's stream at E3, but there doesn't seem to be any events until next E3 that'd make sense for it. Especially since the trademarks/ratings whatever leaked before The Game Awards/PSX even...

Is there a Turtles anniversary coming up?

If this is indeed a downloadable game, which seems more and more likely, Activision will just randomly announce it one day and that'll be pretty much it.

Sou Da

I dont like the baby faces, but could be worse.

I se Shredder, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady and the Technodrome, so i suppose its based on the 80's cartoon, just with different art no?

Adult April with yellow jumpsuit then?

No, it's based off the IDW comic which incorporates things from every incarnation of the Turtles while adding in a lot of original takes.

It's fantastic, you should read it.

Neiteio

I'm so-so on the art direction, but I'm sure I'll like it once I play the game and associate it with the warm fuzzy Platinum feels

Any possibility that the snapping turtle and wolf (I forget their names) from the second live-action movie will be in this game?

wyQd7AI.gif

cowabunga motherfucker
I generally don't like it when people toy with animals like this, but it's possible this turtle is enjoying his newfound mobility. I mean, that's like a 200% in speed!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah IDW style which is all good!

Honestly out of all the incarnations, as far as looks are concerned the 80's are the worst.

What the fuck was wrong with the 80s Turtle design? Why all those companies keep changing it for the worse?
This is especially disheartening given how PG did justice to the original 80s Transformers...

Eh, if there were gonna do 80's they might as well use Mirage look.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What the fuck was wrong with the 80s Turtle design? Why all those companies keep changing it for the worse?

It's four characters who look the exact same aside from minor changes to their colour palette. Not saying these are super great (they're fine), but the 80's designs (by which I'm assuming you mean the cartoon...) are far from perfect.

TreIII

Kindred spirit.

*high fives*

Besides, anybody who misses the 80s/Fred Wolf Turtles that much should just watch the NickToon. Recent seasons have been so bent on turning that show into something that fans of the FW toon would like so much, it's almost as if the upcoming crossover with the actual FW toon Turtles seems unnecessary!

.la1n

Don't mind it at all, in fact it could even be the pretty awful new movie turtles and I would still be hyped. A TMNT game that could rival the old Konami games.

Boogiepop

Hell yes, that's not just IDW-Turtles inspired, that's straight up IDW TMNT! Best incarnation possible getting a Platinum game is supremely amazing!

Sou Da

*high fives*

Besides, anybody who misses the 80s/Fred Wolf Turtles that much should just watch the NickToon. Recent seasons have been so bent on turning that show into something that fans of the FW toon would like so much, it's almost as if the upcoming crossover with the actual FW toon Turtles seems unnecessary!

It really is, especially considering that the '05 Turtles did it first.

It would make more sense to crossover with them or the IDW ones tbh. Or a full OG Mirage special.

Don't the Nick show producers not like the 05 or something?

Peff

Hopefully not an XBLA only game like Korra though, but on par with- or grander than Transformers.

I already thought it was strange that the game was rated for PS360 back then, given its inevitable status as a late 2016 release if it were full-on retail. But now that an account about posting Xbox Arcade stuff has leaked a very XBLA-looking cover, it's really all but confirmed.

We'll see.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If this is indeed a downloadable game, which seems more and more likely, Activision will just randomly announce it one day and that'll be pretty much it.
Transformers got a retail release though!

I suspect Korra only didn't just because of the lack of brand recognition. Don't know how well Turtles games sell nowadays though, so who knows.

1) The Turtles have been around since the 80s, and their designs have been going under redesigns repeatedly.

2) The tone of the 80s cartoon wouldn't match what (I would assume) Platinum/Activision want out of the IP.

lol like Tranformers?

It could match perfectly the 80's pilot series and opening tone.

No, it's based off the IDW comic which incorporates things from every incarnation of the Turtles while adding in a lot of original takes.

It's fantastic, you should read it.

I dunno, becuase then I see this:
My niggas. The only comic to pull off a mostly silent issue about Leo killing Foot ninjas and have Mondo Gecko in the same run
74f18901fc09e862352e192d26157578-d81bcpl.jpg

And its fucking terrible.
I want to punch that character design in the face.

I'm so-so on the art direction, but I'm sure I'll like it once I play the game and associate it with the warm fuzzy Platinum feels

Any possibility that the snapping turtle and wolf (I forget their names) from the second live-action movie will be in this game?

I generally don't like it when people toy with animals like this, but it's possible this turtle is enjoying his newfound mobility. I mean, that's like a 200% in speed!

turtles aren't slow

tumblr_inline_mkt0mlRgNE1qz4rgp.gif

TI82

Banned
So I think the IDW comics look pretty cool. Just start with #1? Also what other series are cool from them? Ghostbusters seems like an obvious pick

MisterHero

You turtle fans do yourselves a favor and watch the 2k3 series.

You are missing out a lot.

I disagree, the 2k3 version is superior on all accounts

even the post-season rot 2k3 seasons are better
It's okay to be wrong breh

80s > Nick > 2k3

that's not too bad I suppose

Platinum are going to slather this in buttrock anyway, it's better this way
that description is hilarious. I'll take it

DSix

Banned
The only alternative to the 80s cartoon design I would welcome would be the 1990 movie. With current rendering tech it probably could be doable to reproduce the exact same look.

Village

Show created the Turtles craze.

And considering the new turtles cartoons, comics, and movies do more than fine. It isn't particularly too relevant to it to it any more. It was fun for a time, folks moved on. Folks draw stuff from it sure ,but that's about it.

Warxard

Banned
lol like Tranformers?

It could match perfectly the 80's pilot series and opening tone.

Are you implying Transformers G1 was as goofy as Wolf-era Turtles?

Sure, it had Autobots doing slam dunks and shit but it has some very serious shit going on in it. Even the High Moon games took huge inspiration from both the G1 run with their titles.

Wolf-era TMNT is basically Hanna Barbera, saturday-morning nonsense. Which is fine! It's okay that there are fans of that series? But when so much TMNT shit as of recent is based off of the nostalgia that series gave, including the recent TMNT run--what's in it for the comic fans, that's been essentially shafted in anything non-comic related?

For once, give it a rest.

--

Santolouco is ridiculous.

bryanee

It's okay to be wrong breh

80s > Nick > 2k3

that's not too bad I suppose

that description is hilarious. I'll take it

The 80's cartoon is straight up garbage. I enjoyed that shit when I was 7 or 8 but boy it did not hold up in any way, shape or form.

TreIII

So I think the IDW comics look pretty cool. Just start with #1? Also what other series are cool from them? Ghostbusters seems like an obvious pick

Yep. Just start from the jump. They have a good deal of collections so you can get caught up, too!

Also, give their Transformers stuff a try. Everything in the "Phase 2" era is a great jump off point. Plus, you skip the early-installment messes that occurred because somebody allowed "All Hail Megatron" to happen.

Are you implying Transformers G1 was as goofy as Wolf-era Turtles?

Sure, it had Autobots doing slam dunks and shit but it has some very serious shit going on in it. Even the High Moon games took huge inspiration from both the G1 run with their titles.

Wolf-era TMNT is basically Hanna Barbera, saturday-morning nonsense. Which is fine! It's okay that there are fans of that series? But when so much TMNT shit as of recent is based off of the nostalgia that series gave, including the recent TMNT run--what's in it for the comic fans, that's been essentially shafted in anything non-comic related?

For once, give it a rest.

--

Santolouco is ridiculous.

Read better before posting:
It could match perfectly the 80's pilot series and opening tone

80's Tranformers also became goofy as shit.

Also, the majority of the world doesnt give really a damn about the turtles if its not based from the 80's and the original movie. The original comics and newer ones are niche as hell. Only hardcore fans give a damn about the 2003 animated series, and the nickelodeon stuff has a bigger base but not big enough as when the turtles were on everything.
They are putting Bebop and Rocksteady in the new shitty live action movie becuase they want that tentalising nostalgia money, not becuase they were good characters.
Basing the game in the 80's cartoon PILOT and OPENING designs is what would make this game sell well, apart from Platinum making it.

Why do people rate the 2000 series so low? That series until they started changing the art style when they moved to the future was pretty damned good.

Good to see the speculation about the IDW continuity being the basis of this was spot on. Guess we know where those THPS5 models come from now, too.

Hopefully this is closer to Transformers Devastation than Korra in terms of polish and overall content.

Yep, start at the beginning for TMNT. It's probably the best version of the whole universe.

Transformers More Than Meets The Eye is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom