• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan (Platinum Games) art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TI82

Banned
Yep. Just start from the jump. They have a good deal of collections so you can get caught up, too!

Also, give their Transformers stuff a try. Everything in the "Phase 2" era is a great jump off point. Plus, you skip the early-installment messes that occurred because somebody allowed "All Hail Megatron" to happen.

Not a fan of Transformees at all, sorry

Verelios

I dont like the baby faces, but could be worse.

I see Shredder, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady and the Technodrome, so i suppose its based on the 80's cartoon in spirit, just with different art no?

Adult April with yellow jumpsuit then?
Didn't read the new comics? It's pretty much exactly that.

And April is a bio-chemist. Surprise!

KingBroly

Banned
Probably like this. Activision asset sharing and such.

59e198690e.png

that nose though...

Sou Da

Holy shit. I actually bought this a few months ago on a whim. I never really read it.

So the series is good?

It's the best the Turtles media currently going and every change they made is fresh and really smart.

It ain't just good Turtles, it's a great comic book period.

The art can get rough when they change artists for an issue or two but still.

Boogiepop

So I think the IDW comics look pretty cool. Just start with #1? Also what other series are cool from them? Ghostbusters seems like an obvious pick

Yup. If you want to pick it up in print, there's two nice collections like this out now that are great to grab, and also contain the equally important and awesome stuff that isn't the numbered trades (stuff like the Micro-series and Secret History of the Foot Clan that people sometimes skip but really shouldn't). It's all really great, and it pulls in stuff from pretty much everything TMNT and ties it together brilliantly while also doing its own thing.

Also, the Transformers stuff is great, with the series titled More Than Meets the Eye being especially brilliant and legitimately one of, if not the, best comic books currently coming out from literally any company. Just absolutely amazing stuff.

Seriously, more people need to read this stuff as it's awesome!

TreIII

Why do people rate the 2000 series so low? That series until they started changing the art style when they moved to the future was pretty damned good.

Likely because even though it was a series that was more true to what Eastman and Laird had intended all along, it wasn't the TMNT that "they grew up with". They wanted their bumbling Foot Ninja robots. They wanted their "Mutants of the Day". They wanted the Turtles eating Pizza. They didn't like Shredder being reinvented as a competent, rouge Utrom who existed for centuries. Etc., etc.

The only thing I could fault the 2K3 series with was that I wished that the Mirage arcs they adapted could have been as gritty as the originals they cited. I mean, the series had little qualms with flirting with the concept of death, but oddly didn't have it occur in places that it should have been (like "City at War").

But at the very least: 2K3 certainly did much better justice to Miyamoto Usagi than the Fred Wolf cartoon ever did.

It's the best the Turtles media currently going and every change they made is fresh and really smart.

It ain't just good Turtles, it's a great comic book period.

The art can get rough when they change artists for an issue or two but still.

Best piece of Turtle related stuff out there. Incredbile work, respects the hell out of the Original and later incarnations.

I'll read it tonight. I'm glad I bought it, then. Big turtle fan, but I've never touched the comics truthfully aside from buying that one. Thanks.

Likely because even though it was a series that was more true to what Eastman and Laird had intended all along, it wasn't the TMNT that "they grew up with". They wanted their bumbling Foot Ninja robots. They wanted their "Mutants of the Day". They wanted the Turtles eating Pizza. They didn't like Shredder being reinvented as a competent, rouge Utrom who existed for centuries. Etc., etc.

The only thing I could fault the 2K3 series with was that I wished that the Mirage arcs they adapted could have been as gritty as the originals they cited. I mean, the series had little qualms with flirting with the concept of death, but oddly didn't have it occur in places that it should have been (like "City at War").

But at the very least: 2K3 certainly did much better justice to Miyamoto Usagi than the Fred Wolf cartoon ever did.
I love both sides of the Turtles... Just like the campy Batman/gritty Batman sort of thing. I guess that does make sense, though.

Aki-at

IDW has the best incarnation of the Shredder so this pleases me greatly. Karai is also fantastic. So is Bebop and Rocksteady, infact it's a fantastic series in general. I've got plenty of good video games of the original Turtles TV series so I'm glad Activision went down this route and using IDW comics as the basis.

Warxard

Banned

Usagi still has his Sakai run, right?

I love both sides of the Turtles... Just like the campy Batman/gritty Batman sort of thing. I guess that does make sense, though.

Speaking of Batman,
Batman-TMNT-02-e5b23.jpg

Jashobeam

damn what a let down, I was really hoping for the 80's cartoon design... oh well, as long as the gameplay is tight and animations are nice I won't mind that much. still disappointing tho..

TI82

Banned
So far as far as IDW goes it seems TMNT, Ghostbusters and maybe Back to the Future are up my alley. And it turns out I've read a few comics from them before, their Godzilla and Locke & Key series which were excellent.

Sou Da

So far as far as IDW goes it seems TMNT, Ghostbusters and maybe Back to the Future are up my alley. And it turns out I've read a few comics from them before, their Godzilla and Locke & Key series which were excellent.

I had no idea they had BttF series.

Tigerfog

True, the 2k3 cartoon took most of the stories from the Mirage comics and stone washed them to make them more palatable for Saturday morning cartoon viewers.
For what it's worth, at least they tried, and Raphael truly shone in that cartoon.
hqdefault.jpg

The first season of the 2k3 cartoon has a special place in my heart, for being full of potential and promise (and I think the animation was awesome then).
Afterwards, things sometimes dragged on for too long (Karai being conflicted) or just not as well executed as it could've been (Leo being emo and angsty).

However, having played and finished all three main TMNT games based on the 2k3 cartoon on PS2, I can't wait to see Platinum Games' output. It can't be any worse than those. :)

Mizerman

Why do people rate the 2000 series so low? That series until they started changing the art style when they moved to the future was pretty damned good.

Eh. Mainly because it wasn't the 80s Turtles.

I like and vastly prefer the 2k3 series, speaking as someone who grew up in the late 80's.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
True, the 2k3 cartoon took most of the stories from the Mirage comics and stone washed them to make them more palatable for Saturday morning cartoon viewers.
For what it's worth, at least they tried, and Raphael truly shone in that cartoon.
hqdefault.jpg

The first season of the 2k3 cartoon has a special place in my heart, for being full of potential and promise (and I think the animation was awesome then).
Afterwards, things sometimes dragged on for too long (Karai being conflicted) or just not as well executed as it could've been (Leo being emo and angsty).

However, having played and finished all three main TMNT games based on the 2k3 cartoon on PS2, I can't wait to see Platinum Games' output. It can't be any worse than those. :)

I'd still argue they were still dark than what most you'd see in Saturday mornings.

TreIII

But I guess my problem is this: I never felt that Batman has had this problem, where the "campy" side of the fandom is the main one being catered to, mostly at the expense of everything and everybody else.

It's one of the main things that I feel has always held the TMNT brand back. Yet, Viacom/Nickelodeon doubling down on the nostalgia is not going to do anything to help bolster the image of the brand.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But I guess my problem is this: I never felt that Batman has had this problem, where the "campy" side of the fandom is the main one being catered to, mostly at the expense of everything and everybody else.

It's one of the main things that I feel has always held the TMNT brand back. Yet, Viacom/Nickelodeon doubling down on the nostalgia is not going to do anything to help bolster the image of the brand.

Isn't that what Nick was up to lately? Shitty attempt at pulling nostalgia - look at what they did to Mega Force and Samurai, both crap because "muh MMPR gaiz!" Though they seem to have picked up slack with Dino Charge.

Also people tell me "the 80's toon is badass and serious too!" when in fact I have this feeling they haven't seen the show lately. Even the pilot they're still a bunch of goofballs and Shredder is that abused house-husband.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom