• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another word of caution: "Stable condition" essentially means she's not in immediate danger of passing away. It does not have any bearing on what effects this may have had on her. I cautioned before that her being down for so long did not definitely mean she was going to be severely deficit, And this is sort of the other side of that coin. Stable is not totally fine.

Still need more info.

Thanks. I imagined so. It's a better status than previous but still lots we don't know

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
She's in a stable condition now?

That's good to hear. Fantastic work from all involved.

She's incredibly lucky it happened so close to landing, too.

What a relief to hear she has stabilized. She's not out of the woods by any means but I will take what I can get. This shook the hell out of me.

We're all pulling for you, Carrie

That seems like a quick turnaround, I wonder if the initial reports were exaggerated?

No. After a cardiac arrest like this, stabilized does not mean "back to normal." It means that her vitals are stable, they have her on whatever medications they need for now, and now it's about allowing her brain function and so forth to heal.

In terms of her cerebral function and cognitive recovery, it's MUCH too early to tell. In fact, it's only going to be over the next 48-72 hours where we'll have any idea how much damage was done to the brain and begin to have some understanding in terms of recovery. This is unless we get some news on how the initial reports of her being down for that amount of time weren't accurate or so forth... otherwise we're just going to have to wait.

/neurologist

EDIT:
Does stable mean she's off the ventilator?

You can be stable on a ventilator.

Linkura

Another word of caution: "Stable condition" essentially means she's not in immediate danger of passing away. It does not have any bearing on what effects this may have had on her. I cautioned before that her being down for so long did not definitely mean she was going to be severely deficit, And this is sort of the other side of that coin. Stable is not totally fine.

Still need more info.

Yeah, this doesn't really tell us anything other than she's not dead, I think. Could she be comatose and still considered in stable condition?

Grym

Still need more info.

Thank you for this. I was just going to ask how realistic optimism is at this point. I'll stay hopeful but worried

riotous

Banned
Yeah, this doesn't really tell us anything other than she's not dead, I think. Could she be comatose and still considered in stable condition?

It wasn't a doctor reporting "stable condition", it was second hand from her brother.

All the report means is that she didn't die and that they aren't immediately doing anything about it; which is really normal no matter how bad the situation is.

Ambient80

Ah, it's a little of a grey area. It's not a set definition, really. Generally, it means that whatever condition the person was originally in has not changed, and they're not in an immediate danger of dying. I know that's not particularly helpful, but it can mean a few different things.

To answer your question: Yes, but that depends on how the doctor is using the term.

Still need more info.
Yeah same thing happened to my grandma. They stabilized her, but eventually she succumbed to everything else that happened to her.

Anyway hoping for the best.

bluethree

Man I'm not exactly a huge SW fan and my heart jumped at the title. Just weird as hell seeing 2016 take away a lot of the names we've known forever. Glad that she seems to be okay for now though.

Neff

t2biEBI.gif

fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom