• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
tumblr_n1430cIe4D1r09qfio5_r1_250.gif

billeh

Stabilizing vitals after a cardiac arrest is good, but nowhere near out of the woods. That long without oxygen to the brain can completely wreck cognitive function.

Catvoca

Banned
Oh man, glad to hear she's stabilised. Been constantly refreshing gaf and twitter for news all night. Nice to have some good news for now, hopefully it stays that way.

The Force is strong with this one. 2016 won't take Princess Leia away from the world, my thoughts and prayers go out to her, her health and her family and friends.

It bugs me that people are equating any mention of "2016" or Star Wars to not caring about Carrie Fisher.

Even Mark Hamill made a comment about how shitty 2016 is.

It's just another way, albeit a bit of a trendy one, to say you're thinking about her

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Been shaking over this for hours. Cried earlier. Fuck, I didn't think anything could hit me like Nimoy hit me anytime so soon.

Stable is so good. Now I'm praying she hasn't suffered major brain damage. If it's true that she wasn't breathing for 10 minutes, uh, yeah.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man just heard this, I'm glad she's stable, and hope that she has a speedy recovery!

Great to hear the update on her condition. She was a very important part of something I liked, and still like, and she seems like a good person otherwise so best wishes!

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
She isn't fully out of the woods. Probably waiting for test results at this point. CT and MRI Scans will tell the Doctors and her family everything they need to know. Hoping there is very little brain damage and she will make a full recovery.

Stabilizing vitals after a cardiac arrest is good, but nowhere near out of the woods. That long without oxygen to the brain can completely wreck cognitive function.

Yeah the fact she had no oxygen for 10 minutes still makes me wonder how she will be after hospital

Instro

No. After a cardiac arrest like this, stabilized does not mean "back to normal." It means that her vitals are stable, they have her on whatever medications they need for now, and now it's about allowing her brain function and so forth to heal.

In terms of her cerebral function and cognitive recovery, it's MUCH too early to tell. In fact, it's only going to be over the next 48-72 hours where we'll have any idea how much damage was done to the brain and begin to have some understanding in terms of recovery. This is unless we get some news on how the initial reports of her being down for that amount of time weren't accurate or so forth... otherwise we're just going to have to wait.

/neurologist

EDIT:

You can be stable on a ventilator.

Ah ok that last part is what I was confused about. I didn't think you could be considered stable while also on s ventilator. Thanks!

Zimbardo

sad to hear the news and hoping for the best.

when Joan Rivers suffered cardiac arrest, she was also upgraded to stable condition ...but was later taken off life support. hopefully it works out better for Carrie Fisher. Joan was in her early 80s at the time, so being that Carrie is younger ...maybe that'll help.

hoping for the best anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom