• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

MetalAlien

Banned
That's some next-level under a rock living.
When my friends at work try to talk sports with me I have to remind them that based on the names of the teams and players alone I have no idea what kind of sport you are talking about. Could me Ballet for all I know.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Far out. I saw a reference to this in the REEE thread, but didn’t realise it was real. Tragic. His daughter, too?

McCheese

It was completely out of control and spinning rapidly on every axis :( they had no chance.

Tragic stuff, just going about your normal day then fate decides it's your day.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I know nothing about helicopters is it common for crashes and what are typically the causes of helicopter crashes? Is it mechanical failures?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
My boss almost died in a helicopter crash last year. He also had one of the helicopters he rents out go down. I will never get in a helicopter. Those things fall out of the sky constantly.

I know nothing about helicopters is it common for crashes and what are typically the causes of helicopter crashes? Is it mechanical failures?
You can look at a Chopper wrong and it will come down. Usually its wind that causes it and not mechanical. I wonder if they are more dangerous that driving a car.

Last edited:
God damn it, seeing those picture of Kobe with Gigi is just heartbreaking right now knowing both of them are gone now. it's been a while since I cried last, but I'm having tears coming down right now. I just can't.

I'm making plans to go to Stable Center sometime this coming week to pay my respect (it's close today for the Grammy's).

McCheese

My boss almost died in a helicopter crash last year. He also had one of the helicopters he rents out go down. I will never get in a helicopter. Those things fall out of the sky constantly.

You can look at a Chopper wrong and it will come down. Usually its wind that causes it and not mechanical. I wonder if they are more dangerous that driving a car.

There is a video of it coming down on twitter, looks mechanical - just spinning faster and faster until it hits the ground. Scary stuff.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's some next-level under a rock living.
Not everyone follows sports. We've lived in Canada for ages. My parents know two players... Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr. That's it. Gretz retired 20 years ago and Orr 40 years ago.

You know the Iran missile crisis from earlier this month? Many countries including western media covered it 24/7.

One of my coworkers went home for extended holidays and returned a week after. I asked her what kind of coverage they have over there about this whole issue of a plane getting shot down by a missile and countries arguing who's fault it was.

Her reply was it was barely covered.

In most western media I bet it was front page news for weeks.

Last edited:

Myths

I might sound narrow, but I stopped watching or caring as much about NBA after he retired. Often, I’d go back and watch this video:

Just loved it, even to this day.

zombrex

Extremely shocking when someone so famous and at the top of their field dies suddenly.
He will remembered as a legend forever now.

Also on another note if i was rich I would never use a private light plane or helicopter.
The risks seems so much higher.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm baffled the NBA hasn't canceled the day's games.
At the time TMZ posted it, it wasn't confirmed. They were the only news source saying it an the Rockets game was already underway by the time other places confirmed it. By the time it was confirmed , the Raps/Spurs game was about to start maybe half an hour later.

I guess they could have postponed the rest of the night games. Then again it happened middle of the day. As tragic as it seems, some fans buying tickets to the game/hotel/travel probably wouldn't want it delayed to another day or week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom